Does anyone know anything about making changes to service books?
    Im very curious to learn a bit about doing this.
    My phone is flashed to my network, and the only way to get the browser and MMS working was with these service books that someone had to do something with to make work on my network.

I have a normal data plan with no BIS service.

The reason I would like to know more about this and understand it all is so maybe I can work on trying to make other things work that I would like to have on my phone such as the facebook app or myspace app.

so can anyone tell me anything about this or point me towards some reading on this?
    06-16-09 12:00 PM
    I know about some of the service books. You have a data plan but it is not a BIS? Then what type of data is it.
    06-16-09 12:05 PM
    its just their normal unlimited web package.
    They do offer BIS, but only if you bought one of their branded BB's.
    If its falshed to their network then they wont let you add the Pin.

so since then i been looking around at differnt apps that will work. A lot seem to require these service books and or wont let you configure to use a proxy so they cant be used.

Things like IM+, weather eye, logic mail, tiggit mail, will work.

Id like to learn to edit these servie books though and get facebook, and myspace working.
    06-16-09 12:19 PM
    My only dealing with service books is through a BES server and this is what I know.

Under “Options,” select “Advanced,” then select “Service book.” On my Blackberry, a file called “Desktop [IPPP]” was listed. This is the browser file that corporate IT departments can configure, blocking access to various web sites and services. What makes this tricky is that same file might be called something different on your Blackberry. The word “Desktop” can be changed by your system administrator. If you aren’t sure, I’d wait until RIM puts out its knowledge-base article, which ought to have a better way of finding that file.

In any event, I deleted Desktop [IPPP]. Then I performed a hard rest – meaning I removed the battery from my Blackberry and restarted it.

In the unlikely event I ever want to use my Blackberry within to access web sites on my corporate Intranet, I can go back to the Service Book directory and select Undelete (via the Blackberry button) and “Desktop [IPPP] will reinstall. After a hard reset, it’ll work again, and Facebook won’t.
    06-16-09 12:33 PM
    i think what I need is a way to view individual service books, and edit them.
    I dont know how to do this.
    this seems like the first step in my goal.
    My phone is a personal one and not a company phone, so I have no restrictions.
    I can get the service books for facebook or myspace from others on my carrier that have the carriers branded BB's.
    The thing is being able to view these books and know how to edit them to work without he BIS service.

That is what some have done to make the Web browser and MMS work on the phones that were flashed.

problem is this is not talked about much since many are still trying to make money off that still.

In fact when I was given the service books to make my web and mms work, I was asked to not give them out or post them on the net because of this.

Thats fine with me, its their work, but now I would like to contribute a little and get other things to work for my personal needs.
    Cant do this without understanding how to view and edit these things to make them work.

In theory you would think, I have internet access, so if I have a facebook app I could use it, but i just need to be able to configure whatever so I can get it to connect properly.
    06-16-09 01:37 PM
    Sounds like you are looking for the tool magicberry, its available multiple places.

Mena Step Innovative Solutions - Magic Berry IPD Parser
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-05-09 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add link
    09-05-09 02:53 AM
    Thanx for the link! do you know how to import what I exported to be able make my own set of SB?
    10-14-09 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD