I just watched a ABC news show and it listed Steve Jobs "Edison of his time"

How do you feel about that?
    08-25-11 05:32 PM
    Edison was an IDEA man AND an inventor. Jobs was definitely an IDEA man and a visionary but he was not an inventor.

Jobs greatest skill was understanding what people wanted. He has had a significant impact on our culture, from the "Personal PC", to animation, how we listen to music and how we now use phones.
    08-25-11 05:41 PM
    Lord of the jobs was a master at brainwashing the masses with slick ads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-11 06:13 PM
    Edison was an IDEA man AND an inventor. Jobs was definitely an IDEA man and a visionary but he was not an inventor.

Jobs greatest skill was understanding what people wanted. He has had a significant impact on our culture, from the "Personal PC", to animation, how we listen to music and how we now use phones.
    He understood/understands what people want, and capitalized on it by creating these desirable things. Wouldn't you say that's inventing?

EDIT: Let's try not to make this blow up.
    08-25-11 06:22 PM
    But did HE himself create them?

IMO He was the one paying the inventors. And making what came from the inventors look very good.
    08-25-11 06:29 PM

IMO He was the one paying the inventors. And making what came from the inventors look very good.
    I don't want things to get too rowdy so I'll just say:

He invented Apple, NeXT(which became the basis server for early websites), the first GUI computer, the first multi-touch smartphone, a successful tablet computing market and the first successful technology retail store among tons of other things. He is also credited for 313 original patents and revolutionized the music industry. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Of course there were people alongside him, but it's impossible to tackle such feats alone; there are limits to what is humanly possible.

Thomas Edison of our generation? That's anybody's choice to make. I say absolutely.
    08-25-11 06:56 PM

He really is a visionary and a big game changer, we all who use computers or handhelds, owe him something. If we think at least at the fact that his visions and products have moved this whole industry ahead even only trying to compete him, it is still his merit.

So .. Yes, I don't use any Mac product, but I bow myself in front of him !!!

08-25-11 07:50 PM
    Steve Jobs was the "Jim Jones of his time".
    08-25-11 08:08 PM
    I would say he has influenced almost everyone's life in some way. from pcs, cell phones, music and home entertainment. He has influence everywhere you look. He didnt invent the wheel but he did a damn good job reinventing the wheel about 30 different ways.
    08-25-11 08:43 PM
    I've never used a mac product intensively but to be honest I DO personally love them. I just think that they are way overpriced. I need a new computer for 3d modelling and for the price of the mac pro, I could probably buy 2 pcs with the same specs for the same price
    howarmat likes this.
    08-25-11 08:45 PM

Have to agree with you there. There are inventors and innovators. Jobs and Gates fall under the innovator category.
    Both married existing technology "not their own" to create something new.

08-25-11 08:46 PM
    Steve Jobs was the "Jim Jones of his time".
    you got that right,the masses drunk the cyanide laced kool-aid(ifone) by the gallon.

08-25-11 08:53 PM
    He understood/understands what people want, and capitalized on it by creating these desirable things. Wouldn't you say that's inventing?

EDIT: Let's try not to make this blow up.
    As already noted, Jobs is an innovator not an inventor. Regardless of how one feels about him personally it is hard to deny he is a visionary.
    08-25-11 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD