...for SMS and e-mail push. That's what I read yesterday somewhere while doing some RIM/BB research. I think it might have been on Wikipedia.

3G is obviously better for media streaming. But from what I read, because of the packet size or design, EDGE is better for sending and receiving texts and emails.

Is this true? If so, this could perhaps be why RIM seems to be slow to incorporate 3G, since their primary focus is on business and communications.
    05-06-08 08:50 AM
    I think 3G consumes more power. So unless it's actually needed, why bother? But the market also means it gets implemented eventually (as a 'tick box'), regardless of it's real value.

As the multimedia capabilities of a BB get better there becomes a need to implement for those reasons too.
    05-06-08 08:57 AM
    That sounds kinda fishy to me. I agree that 3G will consume more power, but who doesn't want faster data?
    Sounds like RIM and Apple have been trying to explain away their lack of 3G. I have 3G and EVDO on my other two phones and it is great! No matter how you slice it, dsl speeds on a handheld is useful and efficient.
    05-06-08 09:55 AM
    Each to his own. I don't want theoretical fast data if it means I can't get ANY data because the battery's flat!!! The good battery life of a BB is a key benefit (for me) compared with most other 'smartphones'. It's funny to see others on a trip worrying about charging their smartphones every day, or them not quite lasting a day if they're busy actually using them...
    Last edited by wibblyw; 05-06-08 at 10:20 AM.
    05-06-08 10:18 AM
    Each to his own. I don't want theoretical fast data if it means I can't get ANY data because the battery's flat!!! The good battery life of a BB is a key benefit (for me) compared with most other 'smartphones'. It's funny to see others on a trip worrying about charging their smartphones every day, or them not quite lasting a day if they're busy actually using them...

Now you're just exaggerating. Have you ever owned a 3G capable device? If so, you wouldn't be posting this. Batteries on 3G devices last fine. And what on earth is "theoretical fast data"? The data is much faster on 3G -- that is a fact. The only thing theoretical for you is that the batteries don't last more than a few hours, and anyone who's owned a device with 3G capabilities can tell you that that isn't the case.

I own a 3G phone where I stream YouTube and go on Opera Mini all day long as well as text and phone calls everyday. It also happens to have push email services which will sometimes receive an e-mail MINUTES before my Blackberry gets them. Still, the battery lasts all day long. (If you were wondering, the phone is the Helio Ocean)
    05-06-08 11:04 AM
    there is 3g on the 9000, SO THERE!!! lol

also, i saw a study on video in which edge was faster than wifi. Why you ask? It has something to do with a bottleneck effect in which the BB is not well equipped to handle the speed, even if its there. Interesting if nothing else.
    05-06-08 02:07 PM
    How does ur 3G phone receive emails minutes before the BB does? The delay between my gmail account getting an email and my BB getting that same email is ALWAYS <5 seconds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-08 05:29 PM
    The battery of a 3G battery will last just as long as an EDGE enabled phone - or at least close. In fact, if you compare the 8330 to the 8310, it is rated for HIGHER battery life on PhoneArena. By about .33 hours.
    05-06-08 05:30 PM
    How does ur 3G phone receive emails minutes before the BB does? The delay between my gmail account getting an email and my BB getting that same email is ALWAYS <5 seconds.

I don't think it has anything to do with 3G or EDGE, my other phone just happens to get messages well before my Blackberry does, which is a surprise since Blackberry is primarily for push e-mail. Since my other phone got push email a few weeks ago, it has been receiving e-mails really quick.
    05-06-08 05:54 PM
    I had a Lg cu500 and I must admit the battery life sucked. I'd have to charge every single night. Sometimes my messages arrived in the wrong order if it was multiple pages.

I don't mind edge. I don't see a difference and the battery life on my BB lasts me well even though I am constantly using it texting and for media> I send a good 500 - 750 texts a day.
    05-06-08 11:02 PM
    Now you're just exaggerating. Have you ever owned a 3G capable device? If so, you wouldn't be posting this. Batteries on 3G devices last fine. And what on earth is "theoretical fast data"? The data is much faster on 3G -- that is a fact. The only thing theoretical for you is that the batteries don't last more than a few hours, and anyone who's owned a device with 3G capabilities can tell you that that isn't the case.

I own a 3G phone where I stream YouTube and go on Opera Mini all day long as well as text and phone calls everyday. It also happens to have push email services which will sometimes receive an e-mail MINUTES before my Blackberry gets them. Still, the battery lasts all day long. (If you were wondering, the phone is the Helio Ocean)
    Well, I have both... BJ IIs and Curves/Pearl. The battery drain is definitely an issue with 3g. This is one of the bigger factors in why a 3g berry hasn't been released for AT&T as well as the hand-offs between towers. In regards to emails, your berry may be handicapped as a few minutes is a big difference. For me sometimes it's instant and sometimes it's 1 minute the most.
    05-06-08 11:17 PM
    I had the cu500 before my berry. Ran it at 2g exclusively for a few days then ran it at 3g exclusively for a few days. Battery drain was in favor of 2g by 10-15% at MOST. With 2g I would finish days with 25-30% battery left. With 3g I would end days with 15-20% battery life left.

05-06-08 11:28 PM
    To all the 3G cynics, trust me, edge sucks. There's a reason that everyone has gone to dsl and cable modems from dial up modems.
    Once you try surfing the web from your BB on 3G, you'll never go back to edge.

And also, there is no theoretical difference, there's a flat out obvious difference. Just try it and you'll see.

My Palm Treo 750 with 3G battery lasts way longer than my Palm Treo 680 with no 3G. Not really apples to apples though. My Blackberry 8310 lasts WAY WAY longer than either of my Treos. Matter of fact, I'm still amazed at how long the Blackberry battery lasts.
    05-06-08 11:36 PM
    I send a good 500 - 750 texts a day.

Wow! I thought I texted a lot! I'd say I do between 200-300 a day. Some days less...
    05-06-08 11:41 PM
    I had a Lg cu500 and I must admit the battery life sucked. I'd have to charge every single night. Sometimes my messages arrived in the wrong order if it was multiple pages.

I don't mind edge. I don't see a difference and the battery life on my BB lasts me well even though I am constantly using it texting and for media> I send a good 500 - 750 texts a day.
    dang, that's 1 txt message every 30 seconds, 24 hours a day.
    05-06-08 11:45 PM
    You can't compare a 3G flip phone to an EDGE BlackBerry when you are talking about battery drain as it relates to 3G. You need to compare a 3G smartphone to an EDGE BlackBerry for a more realistic comparison.

On that note, I have one for you. I occasionally swap to an At&t Tilt which is a 3G Windows Mobile Pocket PC. Under the exact same usage levels, I will end my day with 50-60% battery left on my Berry; while on the Tilt side of things, I will end the day with 25-35%.

It isn't the 3G chip alone that causes the drain, its the USAGE of the chip that causes it. If you have a 3G connection on standby all day long, of course you won't see a big drain. If you use a 3G connection to surf the web, you will see a far higher drain than you would using an EDGE connection.

Also, there is nothing "theoretical" about 3G being faster than EDGE. It is point blank, hands down faster. It's almost like comparing dial-up to DSL.
    05-06-08 11:46 PM
    To get back on track, what about edge allegedly being better for SMS and email than 3G?

Also anyone know about edge upcoming speed increases?

05-07-08 03:53 AM
    To get back on track, what about edge allegedly being better for SMS and email than 3G?

Also anyone know about edge upcoming speed increases?

SMS and email take like, what, 2 or 3 seconds? I don't see how 3G could be better or worse. I think the whole email thing was Blackberry's excuse from way back when they said 3G would actually slow down the delivery of email. As for SMS, it doesn't make a difference. On the 3G and non-3G devices I've owned, text messages always took just a few seconds to send and I'm sure to receive.
    05-07-08 05:08 AM
    To all the 3G cynics, trust me, edge sucks. There's a reason that everyone has gone to dsl and cable modems from dial up modems.
    Once you try surfing the web from your BB on 3G, you'll never go back to edge.

And also, there is no theoretical difference, there's a flat out obvious difference. Just try it and you'll see.

My Palm Treo 750 with 3G battery lasts way longer than my Palm Treo 680 with no 3G. Not really apples to apples though. My Blackberry 8310 lasts WAY WAY longer than either of my Treos. Matter of fact, I'm still amazed at how long the Blackberry battery lasts.
    Hahahaha, ur so wrong it's not funny. When browsing on ur phone, it's the processor the phone has not the speed that makes the difference. Browsing is almost identical when you compare edge to 3g. Yay, you have a faster network AVAILABLE but what good is that if the phone can't process it fast enough to see the difference. If we're cynics what are you? Don't think ur any better just cause u have a 3g phone....
    05-07-08 08:15 AM
    Hahahaha, ur so wrong it's not funny. When browsing on ur phone, it's the processor the phone has not the speed that makes the difference. Browsing is almost identical when you compare edge to 3g. Yay, you have a faster network AVAILABLE but what good is that if the phone can't process it fast enough to see the difference. If we're cynics what are you? Don't think ur any better just cause u have a 3g phone....
    OK believe what you want to. Yes the whole world is crazy for wanting 3G. we all don't know what we're talking about. 3G is just a conspiracy.
    edge rules. I'm going to cancel my dsl at home and get dial up.
    05-07-08 10:10 AM
    SMS and email take like, what, 2 or 3 seconds? I don't see how 3G could be better or worse. I think the whole email thing was Blackberry's excuse from way back when they said 3G would actually slow down the delivery of email. As for SMS, it doesn't make a difference. On the 3G and non-3G devices I've owned, text messages always took just a few seconds to send and I'm sure to receive.
    If we're talking only about ascii or text messages and emails, yes very small difference. Very small amount of data.
    But, if you start sending and receiving image files, word/powerpoint attachments, using an internet browser, etc, it makes a big difference.
    And as far as the notion of 3G is slower at anything then edge, that's pure fiction.
    05-07-08 10:17 AM
    I think 3G would be just as good for receiving SMS / E-Mail as it would be for Streaming multimedia to be honost. Why would EDGE be faster than 3G?

Battery power is good on 3G phones i owned a 3G phone about 2 years ago and my battery lasted pretty long (motorola v1050)

I Think we don't have to worry about battery life and i think speed would still be good (better) on 3G than EDGE

And SMS messages are received through the GSM network not retrieved over GPRS / EDGE anyway...
    05-07-08 10:31 AM
    Umm... Actually, YOU'RE so wrong that it's REALLY funny because you decided to point out someone else's "mistake." See, the processor opens up and runs the application. That's it. Done. Once the application, in this case the browser, is open, the rate at which websites open and load is based on the network speeds... NOT the processor.

Let's see... iPhone has a FAST processor but runs on the slow EDGE network. The Helio Ocean, which has so many bugs, a slow processor, and lags (to say the least) runs on Sprint's 3G network. Now, go watch a video on YouTube with both phones opening and loading the same exact webpage. The iPhone is nearly a MINUTE behind.
    05-07-08 12:12 PM
    You are correct mostly correct Crackburry. While the processor has little to do with connection speed, and the rendering of web pages, the browser has a lot to do with it. For example, Pocket IE on a 3G network is about as slow to render and open pages as the iPhone's Safari is on EDGE. The reason is that Pocket IE is a piece of garbage and just isn't coded well. However, if you install something like Opera Mobile (yes, Opera Mobile, not Mini, Mobile) on your WM Phone, it will be umpteen times faster over 3G than any browser on EDGE.

None of that really matters though, because facts are facts. EDGE is slower than 3G, and 3G makes a big difference as long as you are in a 3G area.
    05-07-08 02:16 PM
    I had a samsung sync (clearly not bb quality) but 3G... And I didn't see a huge difference in speed. It was def. there, but I'm content with the speed of my curve. Wifi is def. Something that would be nice since I'm around it almost all the time unless I'm on the road.

05-07-08 02:52 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD