This +100

Email being primary communication, for the most part, is a thing of the past. It's less efficient, it's dated, and not used nearly as much as it used to be. As much as diehards here might try to profess otherwise, it's simply just not the same game anymore. Shuffling files via email is so inefficient compared to more modern methods its questionable these days. Diehards who insist otherwise are just as guilty as those who professed GUI operating systems would never replace Text based UI's. If you're not keeping with the times and insisting on email correspondence, you're just resting on your laurels... which was the bane of RIM/BBRY.

Anybody who's STILL firing off 150+ individual emails a day (not accounting for multiple recipients) swapping correspondence is stuck in the past and doing it wrong. This coming from somebody who used to fire off that many emails per day from mobile devices (thank God those days are gone).
    Things must be different in Denver.....

Email is by far the main format of written business / legal / professional / technical communication in Canada. It's what I do most of the day. Don't know about the rest of the world, but snapchat doesn't quite cut it here even though we are 'stuck in the past'.

Associated with emails are attachments, sometimes pictures, sometimes pdf documents, sometimes word/excel files, sometimes Engineering CAD drawings, etc. Often an email will have several of each of these attachments. My z10 handles these on multiple accounts with ease.

I'm surprised that this is even being debated.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-11-16 06:42 PM
    This +100

Email being primary communication, for the most part, is a thing of the past. It's less efficient, it's dated, and not used nearly as much as it used to be. As much as diehards here might try to profess otherwise, it's simply just not the same game anymore. Shuffling files via email is so inefficient compared to more modern methods its questionable these days. Diehards who insist otherwise are just as guilty as those who professed GUI operating systems would never replace Text based UI's. If you're not keeping with the times and insisting on email correspondence, you're just resting on your laurels... which was the bane of RIM/BBRY.

Anybody who's STILL firing off 150+ individual emails a day (not accounting for multiple recipients) swapping correspondence is stuck in the past and doing it wrong. This coming from somebody who used to fire off that many emails per day from mobile devices (thank God those days are gone).
    Yes. iPhones make mediocre Blackberries but incredibly functional modern smartphones.
    01-11-16 06:50 PM

Email is by far the main format of written business / legal / professional / technical communication in Canada. It's what I do most of the day. Don't know about the rest of the world, but snapchat doesn't quite cut it here even though we are 'stuck in the past'.

Associated with emails are attachments, sometimes pictures, sometimes pdf documents, sometimes word/excel files, sometimes Engineering CAD drawings, etc. Often an email will have several of each of these attachments. My z10 handles these on multiple accounts with ease.

Posted via CB10

Yes. iPhones make mediocre Blackberries but incredibly functional modern smartphones.
    Yeah... okay... Whatever you say. Despite what the rest of the industry practices. Keep living in the past. Ask RIM/BBRY how well that worked out for them. But hey... :shrug: knock yerself out. I'm sure this time will be different.
    kbz1960, JeepBB and jallister like this.
    01-11-16 06:54 PM
    Youtube seems to be the app I am taking advantage of the most on my xperia. Also my browser isnt clogged with a history of facebook.com

Much prefer my passport. Wonder how much i'll like the priv. Am intrigued by long press and shortpress shortcuts. Sort of need the same on my q10 (daily driver). Will be too hard to remember 26 shortcuts on the q10 plus the 52 shortcuts on the priv.

Theres a missing app problem on android, aka the BlackBerry browser and filemanager. That annoys me more than watching videos via YouTube.com.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-16 08:32 PM
    This +100

That's exactly the issue - people who are freaked out by "the cloud" and insist on using outdated workflows, dealing with file attachments and having to do manual version control, etc. are way behind the curve. Having a single copy of your documents that everyone collaborates on and where edits are logged and everyone always has the latest version instantly is the way to go - and the way more and more people are learning, even starting in school. Collaboration is one of the biggest reasons why Chromebooks have exploded in schools, going from 3% of the market 2 years ago to over 50% of the market today.

I helped my boss move everything to Drive/Docs and QuickBooks online over this last year, and our productivity increases are easily measurable. Given that nearly all of our work is done "in the field", having documents and pictures managed and worked on via mobile devices is critical to our success.
    01-11-16 09:25 PM
    Yeah... okay... Whatever you say. Despite what the rest of the industry practices. Keep living in the past. Ask RIM/BBRY how well that worked out for them. But hey... :shrug: knock yerself out. I'm sure this time will be different.
    Hopefully you are using my post as support for your position.
    01-11-16 09:53 PM
    That's exactly the issue - people who are freaked out by "the cloud" and insist on using outdated workflows, dealing with file attachments and having to do manual version control, etc. are way behind the curve. Having a single copy of your documents that everyone collaborates on and where edits are logged and everyone always has the latest version instantly is the way to go - and the way more and more people are learning, even starting in school. Collaboration is one of the biggest reasons why Chromebooks have exploded in schools, going from 3% of the market 2 years ago to over 50% of the market today.

I helped my boss move everything to Drive/Docs and QuickBooks online over this last year, and our productivity increases are easily measurable. Given that nearly all of our work is done "in the field", having documents and pictures managed and worked on via mobile devices is critical to our success.
    I will be sure to tell my CEO that Ralphy from Denver and Andriod fan extraordinaire Troy say that we are behind the times with the use of email and should stop freaking out and allow all of the documents individual staff are professionally and legally responsible for to be altered at a whim on the cloud as a collaborative effort by colleagues as chromebooks are doing well in the marketplace. Thank you for your input.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-16 10:04 PM
    Just the opposite for me. Cloud storage with collaborative editing replaced shuffling files via email years ago.
    !
    I love cloud storage. I use Box, Dropbox, One Drive, OneDrive for Business, and Google Drive. Different systems with different clients. We're also a heavy FTP user with our clients.

But I work a lot with new and external contacts, and email is still the most universally accepted way to send information.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 02:53 AM
    I think many people would feel the exact opposite towards BB10 and iOS.
    I'm sure you're right, but I'm not engaged in a popularity contest. Frankly, I don't actually LIKE any of the mobile platforms. But BB10 is the best available tool for the tasks for which I'm responsible.

My phone is in constant use from around 5:30 AM until I get home around 6:30 PM. My absolute favorite thing to do with my phone is to turn it off when I get home!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 03:02 AM
    Tasters choice? How about we just start fires in our backyard and make cowboy coffee?
    We're settlers. Girl at taffy pull last night thought my BlackBerry was really cool.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 08:40 AM
    This +100

Chuckle, er, I can handle multi attachment e-mail, text, Dropbox, Box, file 'shuffling' through USB, bluetooth or NFC transfer, cloud access, collaborative file editing & remote file management easily from my Passport... it's not just a 1 trick pony.

what was the question again?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-12-16 10:20 AM
    Chuckle, er, I can handle multi attachment e-mail, text, Dropbox, Box, file 'shuffling' through USB, bluetooth or NFC transfer, cloud access, collaborative file editing & remote file management easily from my Passport... it's not just a 1 trick pony.

what was the question again?
    Of course you can. All the platforms can. Nobody was saying otherwise. There was just a sidetrack from the main topic about multi-attachment emails that evolved into how much it's actually needed anymore.

So to answer your own quest... there was no question.
    01-13-16 01:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    I typically use email for discussion points only with hyperlinks. Internally I will send docs too but I prefer not since 1) our email gets purged every 6 months and are lost and 2) eliminating obsolete revisions gets hairy. I prefer linking to the master docs on a server (eg. via Sharepoint or Sharefile). My documents also tend to be 20-30+MB in size that often are rejected by outside corporate email. I don't like spending my time cutting and zipping (which saves very little for my particular documents). This size limit, BTW, is likely one of the reasons for implementing a one-file-per-email policy for many companies.
    01-13-16 01:55 PM
    It's not just work, however. I have an app that tracks my track car performance. Great app, well supported, logs tons of data and has a handy export feature that e-mails out a bunch of differently formatted log files, gps positioning, .csv data, .nema data. It seamlessly exports the files to e-mail or Dropbox. I was in the pits between runs and was sharing with another driver my run files, no problem sending to his iPhone. However, he wanted to resend them to his other e-mail address... no bueno. I re-sent it to his alternate address. It was more convenient to just e-mail the single run data than Dropbox it. He was perplexed that he couldn't just forward it on. I didn't know the guy very well and wasn't about to tell him to re-configure his e-mail with some third party app.

Shrug, sometimes it can be a limitation.
    01-13-16 05:03 PM
    I typically use email for discussion points only with hyperlinks. Internally I will send docs too but I prefer not since 1) our email gets purged every 6 months and are lost and 2) eliminating obsolete revisions gets hairy. I prefer linking to the master docs on a server (eg. via Sharepoint or Sharefile). My documents also tend to be 20-30+MB in size that often are rejected by outside corporate email. I don't like spending my time cutting and zipping (which saves very little for my particular documents). This size limit, BTW, is likely one of the reasons for implementing a one-file-per-email policy for many companies.
    The file size issue is a big headache in general. My engineering clients and some of my medical clients use secure FTP servers to transfer files. Another client uses Dropbox. I agree 100% that email is problematic for collaboration, but it's still great for marketing, sales, training, customer support, and any other documentation that you WANT to be passed around after you've sent it.

Also, critically, email attachments can be read when people are off line. Yes, people still work in environments where there is no Internet access. There's nothing more frustrating than being in the field without Internet access and digging through your email for a file that you can't access because it's in the cloud!

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 06:25 PM
    Also, critically, email attachments can be read when people are off line. Yes, people still work in environments where there is no Internet access. There's nothing more frustrating than being in the field without Internet access and digging through your email for a file that you can't access because it's in the cloud!

Posted via CB10
    This! Especially when on a long flight, or overseas and you do not have a local simcard.
    01-14-16 02:16 AM
    I'm on Priv now, Android, and I don't have any issues with the apps crashing, and my family all went to Samsung S7 Edges.....no issues with apps. And I have finally gotten used to Android (6 months in), but I still think the OS is clunky and BB10 is a better OS. But I will live. After playing with the wife's Samsung, I do prefer the BlackBerry Launcher....maybe because it is closer to BB10.
    My buddy may have a one off lemon of a Samsung...it happens to all manufacturers. But he is now wanting an iPhone line his wife. LOL!
    07-07-16 04:19 PM
492 ... 181920