This comment is in response to your 'Okay'

My comment was in context with comments related to Facebook on BlackBerry 10. Unlike many, my ego is not assuaged by the need to have voluminous 'likes' and 'followers'.

The social apps do not lend themselves to my sensibility of how to conduct my business professionally. As far as nonbusiness contacts, old fashioned face to face, phone calls, or handwritten notes are my preferences.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    My response "Okay" was in you response to quoting my initial "beat me to it". That was a response of agreement to someone Bla1ze had replied to for saying the android Facebook app is broken. Where does your use or non use of Facebook fit into that?

Anyway, I don't use Facebook either myself, not even for personal usage. Waste of time really, as are most social network but that's just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 09:24 AM
    Think about the uproar if the next windows came without a file manager...

Posted via CB10
    If there's an alternative that lets me do what I want, preferably with even less hassle, then why would there *be* an uproar?

Media management is done using Photos and Google Play Music on android, and for files that I need access, I can't store them all locally and use dropbox anyways.

There's the occasional PDF that I'd like to view, and the Adobe viewer doesn't seem to have a problem finding them.

So why is there a need for it on a smartphone?
    01-07-16 09:30 AM
    That is simply because you probably don't use a file manager all that much. I would venture to say that the average user has no GREAT need for a good file manager. For me, I can honestly say that there is not one day goes by without me using the BB10 File Manager. I use it constantly to move files (some large, some small) from my device to my personal cloud (WD Mycloud), Onedrive, or Box. Having said that, I am not so naive to say that android does not have great file managers as well. BB10 users have a really good built-in File Manager that they don't want to give up. Why look for an app when the function is built into the OS.
    Thanks for an actual sane response that at least allude to what you use it for. So what are those files for? Work purposes? I'm curious.

I've use it in the BB7 days to view work file share, and what was neat on BB10 was being able to do similar things, viewing Windows file shares on the phone.

But for a general consumer user, there just isn't a great need for it, so if you're already limited in manpower, why waste them on something that there's dozens of copies on the Google Play store?
    01-07-16 09:33 AM
    Thanks for an actual sane response that at least allude to what you use it for. So what are those files for? Work purposes? I'm curious.

I've use it in the BB7 days to view work file share, and what was neat on BB10 was being able to do similar things, viewing Windows file shares on the phone.

But for a general consumer user, there just isn't a great need for it, so if you're already limited in manpower, why waste them on something that there's dozens of copies on the Google Play store?
    If you don't need to guarantee security for the files you're accessing with the file manager, it may not matter at all. I can tell you that my company signs contracts with our clients that we will protect their data, and that would preclude us from using a file manager that we randomly download from an app store. Blackberry has a track record and a fantastic reputation for protecting enterprise data. That makes it an easy decision.

I'm not saying that there isn't a company that can guarantee the same level of security for Android file management. But the standard answer of "There are tons of file managers on Android. Just pick one." is an end user mentality that does not work for organizations who have a responsibility to protect data.

If one of my employees gave access to client data to a random app from the Google app store, we would fire him or her out of hand for violating company policy and endangering our contracts.

By the way, we are not an intelligence or defense contractor. Most business contracts have language that makes protecting their data a requirement.

Posted via CB10
    dmlis and calyth like this.
    01-07-16 10:20 AM
    Is the file manager that came with my Samsung phone called "my files" acceptable ?
    01-07-16 11:12 AM
    01-07-16 11:25 AM
    You forgot the step to acknowledge navigating to the target folder. It says that on my z30. On latest official update.

Also you need to pull up the menu again after finished selecting multiples.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    No, I didn't. Because there is no such extra step as "to ackhowledge navigating...". Navigate and paste is already mentioned as the last step in your scenarios.
    And no, there is no need to pull up the menu as it stays on. At least on Q10, I don't know about Z30.
    01-07-16 11:52 AM
    No, I didn't. Because there is no such extra step as "to ackhowledge navigating...". Navigate and paste is already mentioned as the last step in your scenarios.
    And no, there is no need to pull up the menu as it stays on. At least on Q10, I don't know about Z30.
    Yes, i mentioned I counted wrong due to the first run "tip" from Blackberry to navigate to the target folder. But it's still 1 more step and yes, for repetitive use, every step makes a difference.

I won't bother mentioning the additional steps needed to navigate to the target folder as it would blow people's tops here. But ES is more efficient at that too.

The main point is, that the file manager is just functional. It's not a example of efficient workflow and productivity that BlackBerry and it's users keep pushing as their advantage. And that a robust ecosystem with other developers can improve in this area
    01-07-16 12:06 PM
    Not to derail this whole thread but android does have a built in file manager. It just doesn't have its own icon.

On a nexus phone, head to the settings app then select Storage & USB. Scroll to the end of result screen then tap "explore"; then you are in the file manager.

Not sure if bb altered this file manager when they customized android for the priv.
    01-07-16 12:12 PM
    I believe that the poster was referring to the apps included as part of the bb10 operating system as opposed to the 3rd party apps you need to manually download outside of the other operating systems.

He has a point and I agree with him.
    I'm talking about the hypocrisy of trusting Blackberry because it is "a known legal entity, with a well known address," but then turning around and saying he or she doesn't trust Apple or Google (also legal entities with known addresses) for arbitrary reasons based on personal perception.
    01-07-16 01:15 PM
    Not to derail this whole thread but android does have a built in file manager. It just doesn't have its own icon.

On a nexus phone, head to the settings app then select Storage & USB. Scroll to the end of result screen then tap "explore"; then you are in the file manager.

Not sure if bb altered this file manager when they customized android for the priv.
    Thanks for the info. I'm surprised it hasn't come up in any of the threads I've read on this issue. The next question is how well this file manager is integrated into the core communications apps.

Also, if the native Android file manager works well, why the heck are there so many 3rd party apps?! Are they just app bait for suckers who live to "customize" their decices or do they add functionality?

The whole point of a file manager is that it should be integrated into all apps that would benefit from it. It's not usually used as a stand alone app.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 01:18 PM
    Thanks for the info. I'm surprised it hasn't come up in any of the threads I've read on this issue. The next question is how well this file manager is integrated into the core communications apps.

Also, if the native Android file manager works well, why the heck are there so many 3rd party apps?! Are they just app bait for suckers who live to "customize" their decices or do they add functionality?

The whole point of a file manager is that it should be integrated into all apps that would benefit from it. It's not usually used as a stand alone app.

Posted via CB10
    Only on Android 6 hence all of those apps.
    01-07-16 01:21 PM
    I'm talking about the hypocrisy of trusting Blackberry because it is "a known legal entity, with a well known address," but then turning around and saying he or she doesn't trust Apple or Google (also legal entities with known addresses) for arbitrary reasons based on personal perception.
    I would trust Google and Apple in terms of corporate credibility. They certainly would have too much to lose if they were caught mishandling data. That's different than trusting random apps in the app stores. I would need assurance that Apple and Google don't scan the contents of files for marketing purposes, but, my assumption is that they don't because they are not hosting it.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 01:25 PM
    I think that you may have missed the '3rd party' concept. Said 3rd party app developer is neither Apple nor Google. The discussed bb10 apps, however, are BlackBerry's included as part of their operating system.

As far as Apple's address is concerned, it may be California or it maybe Ireland. .... kidding..... sort of....

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 01:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Competition breeds excellence. I daresay the top Android ones have better interoperability than BB10's stock one.

Just like BB10 allowing for other mapping utilities... third-party development pushes stock development, and this, IMHO, is Android's biggest strength.
    01-07-16 01:44 PM
    I do love how you have to wait 30 minutes or more after installing android updates to use the phone which is happening to me right now. I run cyanogenmod and have regular updates available so I went ahead with the latest.

Android is starting. Optimizing app 1 of 150. BB10 is missing this amazing feature.
    You've gone to the hassle of sticking a custom ROM on your phone and installing Nightlies which wipe the /system partition in your phone everytime its flashed. Of course you're experiencing this, especially if you update regular. Most custom ROMs update far more than official versions of Android.

I cant comment on official versions of Android as ive not taken one in about 3 years but you would get this message maybe twice or three times a year at the most.

I think you have yourself to thank for adding that feature.
    01-07-16 01:53 PM
    You've gone to the hassle of sticking a custom ROM on your phone and installing Nightlies which wipe the /system partition in your phone everytime its flashed. Of course you're experiencing this, especially if you update regular. Most custom ROMs update far more than official versions of Android.

I cant comment on official versions of Android as ive not taken one in about 3 years but you would get this message maybe twice or three times a year at the most.

I think you have yourself to thank for adding that feature.
    And lets be fair. I just took another OTA update for BB10 on my Z30. It had to take 9min to reboot. I timed it.

Did you time the 30min for your rom update?
    01-07-16 01:57 PM
    There is a difference between Google and Blackberry.
    Google makes money by selling adds based on your behaviour.
    It collects all the data it can about you.
    BlackBerry has a different business model that is not based on collecting user data, at least not according to their public statements.

Apple I don't trust for other reasons. They have too much control over the user. Their software is too rigid, they overprice, and I find their software on the macBook inferior to Linux, at least for my needs.

As I stated elsewhere, I do not trust BlackBerry either. I just think they are the lesser of many evils.

On a scale of trust, I trust BlackBerry more than apple and Apple more than Google. I trust third party app developers the least.

If people are worried about BlackBerry going under, they should definitely be worried about app shops disappearing overnight, including the data they collect.
    01-07-16 02:12 PM
    Competition breeds excellence. I daresay the top Android ones have better interoperability than BB10's stock one.

Just like BB10 allowing for other mapping utilities... third-party development pushes stock development, and this, IMHO, is Android's biggest strength.
    I don't disagree with you about competition in general, and I think it's great for stand-alone or lightly integrated apps, but there's also something to be said for a unified engineering vision in a system, so that all the parts work together properly in all conditions.

I'm not sure I'd want to fly in a plane built on Android's principles, because I could never be sure if someone actually tested and optimized all of the components operating together under all possible conditions.

To me, file management is a core OS function that can be called by any app that needs it. I want the OS designers to be responsible for it. I don't have any problem with someone developing a skin for file management, so long as their app is making calls to the OS correctly.

I have to assume that's what's going on in Android. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to do even simple things, take a photo and then tweet, email or share it via sms from the camera without having to install a 3rd party app!

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 02:20 PM
    I was BB10 user(Passport) and what I was reading whole last year on CB that BB10 lacking apps and eco system.
    Now I have switched to Priv(Android) and I am on hunt to find basic apps like Explorer, Video, Gallery etc..
    I think hundreds of apps were installed and removed. Almost all apps having different issues, I installed many Explorers and some need seconds to index files and some crashes most of the times. I am even ready to buy apps to get rid of stupid and annoying ads but didn't find reliable apps to spend my money. BB10 is way perfect for normal needs and efficiency. For me apps issue is just a hype excluding professional apps banking etc.

Posted via Priv...
    I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 for Christmas. I was quite shocked at the level of pure crap in the Google Play store. They certainly have tons of apps, but there are very few that are worth using by comparison to the total. Sure the BB App World had lots of crap too, but the overall quality of the apps I was using seemed higher on BB10.

This is my first experience with Android and honestly I miss my BB10 gestures.
    01-07-16 02:38 PM
    I think that all the apps which cater to the use of the OS on BB10 are actually very good, like the file explorer, hub, browser, and even the gallery.

However, what most people are missing are "big name" apps on BB10. Banking, Uber, Hotels, Airlines, Social Media, messaging (e.g. Kakao Talk, Snap Chat), Netflix etc etc
    All that stuff is actually very difficult to find on BB10 and sideloading is often not an option or rather a poor workaround than a satisfying solution.

So yes, as it was also often elicited here, BB10 might work very well for people who don't require apps for any reason, for many others it's often attached to inconvenience.

Posted via CB10
    What baffles me is why these app developers do not allow BB10 to load them via the Amazon App Store.
    01-07-16 02:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Chances are the integrated file manager wont allow you to access root files so that would still need a 3rd party manager.
    01-07-16 02:42 PM
    What baffles me is why these app developers do not allow BB10 to load them via the Amazon App Store.
    It's not the developers' decision but Google.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 02:51 PM
    Chances are the integrated file manager wont allow you to access root files so that would still need a 3rd party manager.
    Unless applications need that root file access to function properly, I'm not sure that is a concern in the business world. If it's a consumer hobbyist thing, then 3rd party apps are appropriate for stuff like that.

I would not want an employee who had rooted their device and installed a 3rd party file manager to use that phone for sensitive client data anyway!

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 02:56 PM
    It's not the developers' decision but Google.

Posted via CB10
    I think you misunderstood his question. He was wondering why more app developers don't place their apps on the Amazon App Store so BB10 users can access them. That's not Google's decision, but instead the app developer's decision.
    01-07-16 02:58 PM
492 ... 1112131415 ...