If you think the command line has faded away, you're nuts. Sure most end users don't need that stuff, but for developers and power users the command line is still the best way to get lots of complex tasks done. The problem with dumbing down devices with GUIs is that then users are limited to doing the things that some developer or designer already thought about. That's fine for a lot of people, but it will always limit choices. That's easier to support, but it's much less powerful.

The fact is that data is stored in files in directories on drives. That's how computers work. Designing a different interface is just makeup.

Posted via CB10
    He didn't say his kids were learning to be programmers, network administrators, or developers. For the average Windows users, the command prompt is something they'll only open when told to by tech support. And I think that is the whole point of iOS... it is easy for the average person to use. Because even today, there are lot of people that use computers, but the have really no clue what they are doing. They accidentally delete a desktop shortcut and their whole world comes to an end.

So while data might be stored in files located in directories on drives... for MOST people, what does that matter?

That's probable why most power users preferred Android... for it's tweakablity and being able to tinker around with it.
    01-06-16 01:30 PM
    Isn't that just the level of abstraction that you currently work in? After all, there is machine code, addresses, and 1's and 0's in there somewhere that you never touch that some chip engineer or 1990's developer says is really how computers work and if you can't manipulate that then you don't really know how to use a computer. How long will it be before drives aren't a consideration? We already are at local storage vs cloud. CD Roms have pretty much disappeared and USB drives are being phased out. One we have universal connectivity then will local storage have to be managed? We're talking about things that happened in less than a decade.

This is no different than the howls that are heard every time that a hardware company, usually Apple, discards a standard such as serial ports, firewire, VGA, SD card, CD ROM, USB slots, expansion slots. There is a lot of functional fixation about how things must be done - "But I need that ethernet jack on my notebook otherwise I can't ..."

However, the market has clearly moved away from wanting all of the legacy ports on all devices. iPad-like tablets finally caught on because despite years of Tablet PC development, Microsoft failed to do the necessary streamlining of the hardware and the OS.
    Fair points.

The current trends clearly indicate that a good number of people are perfectly fine without file managers.
    01-06-16 01:30 PM
    Exactly.

An ecosystem goes beyond apps. Look at Hangouts, for instance... computer, tablets, phones and more. Think of the hardware interoperability, accessories etc. Music, video and more.

The other OSes (MSFT included) are positioning themselves to be end-to-end experiences.
    Spot on. I will be travelling soon and I use hangouts to video chats with my loved ones and not all of them are android users. However since hangouts is available to ios, mac and pcs it has become a convenient and dependable video chat app for them as well.

Ecosystem us really about extending the capabilities of your device. You might not need the extra capabilities right now, but you never know when you need it.
    Tre Lawrence, TgeekB and techvisor like this.
    01-06-16 01:37 PM
    I hope BB10 can stay around for a while for people like yourself. You are in the minority which makes it hard to remain viable. Most people want an all around device that can both entertain as well as communicate/do business. Apps are still a big part of normal smartphone usage for most.
    Apps are a big part of the business usage of smartphones. That is why most companies have moved to iOS or Android.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 03:30 PM
    Apps are a big part of the business usage of smartphones. That is why most companies have moved to iOS or Android.

Posted via CB10
    Very true. There are still some holdout who can do business without them, but not the average business or business person.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-06-16 03:33 PM
    I do love how you have to wait 30 minutes or more after installing android updates to use the phone which is happening to me right now. I run cyanogenmod and have regular updates available so I went ahead with the latest.

Android is starting. Optimizing app 1 of 150. BB10 is missing this amazing feature.
    01-06-16 05:27 PM
    I do love how you have to wait 30 minutes or more after installing android updates to use the phone which is happening to me right now. I run cyanogenmod and have regular updates available so I went ahead with the latest.

Android is starting. Optimizing app 1 of 150. BB10 is missing this amazing feature.
    Of updates at all? Correct.
    TgeekB, Elephant_Canyon and calyth like this.
    01-06-16 07:11 PM
    Yet you wasted your precious seconds on this post....

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Thoughtful discussions are not a waste of time! Your reply IMHO was a waste of your time since you are lost in your world of sarcasm.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    01-06-16 07:15 PM
    Of updates at all? Correct.
    Well these updates don't add anything. Just bug fixes. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me but no one wants to point out flaws in certain os's because apps apparently.
    01-06-16 07:20 PM
    Okay?

Posted via CB10
    This comment is in response to your 'Okay'

My comment was in context with comments related to Facebook on BlackBerry 10. Unlike many, my ego is not assuaged by the need to have voluminous 'likes' and 'followers'.

The social apps do not lend themselves to my sensibility of how to conduct my business professionally. As far as nonbusiness contacts, old fashioned face to face, phone calls, or handwritten notes are my preferences.

01-06-16 07:24 PM
    Well these updates don't add anything. Just bug fixes. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me but no one wants to point out flaws in certain os's because apps apparently.
    Having the apps definitely helps one overlook issues, I agree.

To be fair, I don't mind constant updates. Cyanogen is worked on daily, so it's common for folks to pick up the nightlies. But I'd prefer the constancy of bug fixes when possible.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-06-16 07:33 PM

Yeah like how you can use your BlackBerry during an OTA update? It's actually kinda neat.
    Last edited by hjc73734; 01-07-16 at 03:10 AM.
    01-07-16 02:59 AM
    Hows your bomb shelter coming? One day you'll wake up to the fact that spent so much time on this mission of yours and you ended up missing out and wasting lots of time better used living. Good luck.
    You are funny and keep repeating yourself.

On the contrary. I enjoy a worry-free life but I am neither naive nor stupid to give out my data for free when I have no compelling reason to do so and when I can enjoy the Internet without losing any freedom or sleep.
    I work in high tech. I design chips that go in phones and in the fiber-optic systems. I know enough about this area and have been in this field for over thirty years.
    You can, maybe, convince young kids that Google is the best thing since sliced bread and that you can't escape its datamining without becoming a hermit, but it does not work with me.
    Last edited by sorinv; 01-07-16 at 05:28 AM.
    01-07-16 05:01 AM
    But you're still trusting a third-party with your files. BlackBerry is a developer.
    But BlackBerry is a known legal entity, with a well known address.
    Most of the app developers do not disclose their ID, address, and are difficult to track in case something wrong happens.
    01-07-16 05:26 AM
    Most of the app developers do not disclose their ID, address, and are difficult to track in case something wrong happens.
    Point taken. I do think there could be more stringent requirements.

I have an inherent distrust of data collecting entities though, and treat all of them the same.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-07-16 05:39 AM
    Point taken. I do think there could be more stringent requirements.

I have an inherent distrust of data collecting entities though, and treat all of them the same.
    I agree, but you have to use an OS...That does not mean you trust the OS manufacturer. You are just choosing the lesser of many evils.
    01-07-16 06:36 AM
    This comment is in response to your 'Okay'

My comment was in context with comments related to Facebook on BlackBerry 10. Unlike many, my ego is not assuaged by the need to have voluminous 'likes' and 'followers'.

The social apps do not lend themselves to my sensibility of how to conduct my business professionally. As far as nonbusiness contacts, old fashioned face to face, phone calls, or handwritten notes are my preferences.

I don't use Facebook or any of those sites/apps but I do know many businesses use them and they help so it isn't all about likes and how many friends you can accumulate.
    01-07-16 06:45 AM
    I agree amost professional rejection - but I think BB had to try and stake a claim somewhere. I think BB have recognised the app gap in executing their vision of business devices. Hence the Priv. Though I will defend that BB10 is great from a general productivity perspective for most users in their working environment.
    01-07-16 07:12 AM
    Not sure I 100% agree that enterprise and business users don't want a phone for just email and texting. That said, there is a slow blending of business and personal and there is certainly an image problem with PKB and BB as opposed to iPhones. I have worked with one business that go Apple with everything purely because they think it is a sign of success. That is a perception issue.

You make a good point though about enterprise customers jumping on the app bandwagon and getting their own apps out there. It may mean the app ecosystem issue starts to bleed into BB10. From that perspective, the Priv might well be the only direction for BB.
    01-07-16 07:22 AM
    Not sure I 100% agree that enterprise and business users don't want a phone for just email and texting. That said, there is a slow blending of business and personal and there is certainly an image problem with PKB and BB as opposed to iPhones. I have worked with one business that go Apple with everything purely because they think it is a sign of success. That is a perception issue.

You make a good point though about enterprise customers jumping on the app bandwagon and getting their own apps out there. It may mean the app ecosystem issue starts to bleed into BB10. From that perspective, the Priv might well be the only direction for BB.
    Your post makes it sound like this is just starting to happen..... But from what I've seen here in the US, BB10 was never even adopted and most corporate customers have already moved on to another platform.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-07-16 07:34 AM

The thing is, other platforms handle email and texting just fine. For a sensible number of email accounts (1-3), I consider Android/iOS apps to be only a fraction less efficient than the hub. When buying an iOS/Android device you know that in the future whatever app needs may arise (a lot of professional apps are only iOS/Android) you will have access to them. This is the true power of the ecosystem: you may not need an app now, but it's there when/if you need it.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-07-16 07:46 AM
    The thing is, other platforms handle email and texting just fine. For a sensible number of email accounts (1-3), I consider Android/iOS apps to be only a fraction less efficient than the hub. When buying an iOS/Android device you know that in the future whatever app needs may arise (a lot of professional apps are only iOS/Android) you will have access to them. This is the true power of the ecosystem: you may not need an app now, but it's there when/if you need it.
    Exactly. BlackBerry 10 users are being left behind as time goes by.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 08:03 AM
    So are Google and Apple, and you've already said explicitly that you don't trust them. Why do you trust Blackberry more? Because Blackberry constantly repeats the marketing line that its products are more secure?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-07-16 08:04 AM
    So are Google and Apple, and you've already said explicitly that you don't trust them. Why do you trust Blackberry more? Because Blackberry constantly repeats the marketing line that its products are more secure?
    Good point.
    01-07-16 09:05 AM
    I believe that the poster was referring to the apps included as part of the bb10 operating system as opposed to the 3rd party apps you need to manually download outside of the other operating systems.

He has a point and I agree with him.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 09:14 AM
492 ... 1011121314 ...