What's a file manager? Do you need a lot of experience for that job?
    01-05-16 03:56 PM
    You forgot the step to acknowledge navigating to the target folder. It says that on my z30. On latest official update.

Also you need to pull up the menu again after finished selecting multiples.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    There is no step to acknowledge, and you don't need to pull up the menu, it's already there.

Long press first file
    Overflow menu on the right opens, tap select more

Tap on other pictures, menu at the bottom comes up automatically
    Select copy or move from the menu at the bottom:

Ecosystem hype-img_20160105_170501.png

Press back arrow to navigate to folder, no acknowledgment needed:

Ecosystem hype-img_20160105_170549.png

Once navigated to folder, tape paste (or copy):

Ecosystem hype-img_20160105_170702.png

Can you post a screenshot of the confirmation message you get?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 04:09 PM
    The problem with apps is that you have to let an unknown third party have access to your information.

Do i really want a third party file manager? So i can give some unknown company access to literally every file on my phone?

This is why i prefer BB10, you get everything you need out of the box, apps should be supplementary, not necessary.

I pray for the day that everything moves back to Internet, or html5 and we can do away with most apps. Maybe this will be the reason to keep BB10 alive but in the background, prepare it for the day apps are not important because all the services are hosted online instead

01-05-16 04:47 PM
    Does it really matter how many steps it takes? What's the difference, 2 seconds?
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-05-16 04:47 PM
    LOL! Too funny. My BlackBerry buddy went to the dark side last July...he bought a Samsung edge 6. The whole time I am waiting for my Priv..I keep asking him so how does he like Android. Same answer every time...apps are great, OS is solid. Last week, after having the Priv for 3 weeks I finally say to him that the Priv hardware is awesome and the apps are great, but the OS is clunky...I also said maybe I need more time with it, but it seems that many functions were built directly into BB10 and now I need apps. Get this...he says to me, ya apps don't work great and his phone keeps crashing. Could have mentioned this earlier when I could have bought a Passport. Unbelievable!
    Some buddies don't want to be alone in the leaking boat.
    ssbtech, miker476 and Alain_A like this.
    01-05-16 04:49 PM
    Apps on my Samsung work fine..certainly better than on my Z10. No crashing where as my Z10 ocasionally crashed. After getting used to the OS , not clunky at all. It is just takes time to get used to it. Perhaps I am not a power user but I have not had to download an app to compensate for what was integrated to BB10 on my Z10. The main reason that I quit using the Z10 was that the map app, native, sideloaded or third party was not up to the task.

It is just pleasant having a phone that has the same no fuss no muss experience as my spouse has on her iPhone.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-05-16 at 05:16 PM.
    01-05-16 05:06 PM
    There is no step to acknowledge, and you don't need to pull up the menu, it's already there.

Long press first file
    Overflow menu on the right opens, tap select more

Tap on other pictures, menu at the bottom comes up automatically
    Select copy or move from the menu at the bottom:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160105_170501.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	386686

Press back arrow to navigate to folder, no acknowledgment needed:

Name:	IMG_20160105_170549.png 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	386687

Once navigated to folder, tape paste (or copy):

Name:	IMG_20160105_170702.png 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	386688

Can you post a screenshot of the confirmation message you get?

Posted via CB10
    OK, looks like that's a first run TIP from BlackBerry. I just recently did an OTA update and haven't used the File Manager since.
    01-05-16 05:42 PM
    Does it really matter how many steps it takes? What's the difference, 2 seconds?
    Actually it does mattter. Especially on something that can be programmed out.

Would you like to start your car by priming the fuel pump, activating your air bags, etc? That would only take 2 seconds right?
    01-05-16 05:45 PM
    LOL! Too funny. My BlackBerry buddy went to the dark side last July...he bought a Samsung edge 6. The whole time I am waiting for my Priv..I keep asking him so how does he like Android. Same answer every time...apps are great, OS is solid. Last week, after having the Priv for 3 weeks I finally say to him that the Priv hardware is awesome and the apps are great, but the OS is clunky...I also said maybe I need more time with it, but it seems that many functions were built directly into BB10 and now I need apps. Get this...he says to me, ya apps don't work great and his phone keeps crashing. Could have mentioned this earlier when I could have bought a Passport. Unbelievable!
    Some buddies don't want to be alone in the leaking boat.
    My apps work great on both my Android and Blackberry. "work great" means not crashing and does with it says it does. Just the Blackberry ones are more clunky and amateurish with too many niggling design issues.

Having something "work" is different than having something that is refined and well thought out.
    Last edited by hjc73734; 01-05-16 at 06:00 PM.
    01-05-16 05:48 PM
    Actually it does mattter. Especially on something that can be programmed out.

Would you like to start your car by priming the fuel pump, activating your air bags, etc?
    I don't think that's the same at all. There are multiple things we do on our smartphones daily. Depending on the OS and make of phone, some are quicker, some are longer. Not life changing.
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-05-16 05:48 PM
    I don't think that's the same at all. There are multiple things we do on our smartphones daily. Depending on the OS and make of phone, some are quicker, some are longer. Not life changing.
    To do the same thing with less steps every day repetively is what computers are all about isn't it? To simplify our lives?

Why not use an abacus instead of a calculator? Does it matter how many steps? It works right? Takes what? extra few seconds?
    01-05-16 05:50 PM
    To do the same thing with less steps every day repetively is what computers are all about isn't it? To simplify our lives?

Why not use an abacus instead of a calculator? Does it matter how many steps? It works right? Takes what? extra few seconds?
    But that's if you believe one device does all those things faster, but that device doesn't exist. It all evens out in the wash, doesn't it?
    01-05-16 05:52 PM
    But that's if you believe one device does all those things faster, but that device doesn't exist. It all evens out in the wash, doesn't it?
    It's not an all or nothing device. That's why a good ecosystem is about. Choices.

Having choices lets us find the apps we need to do what we do as fast and efficient as possible.

Take for example the Kalemsoft thing where it starts off asking where I want to look for my video files. Well for me, I only store them on my SD card on my phone. So for me, that feature is a nuisance. For others like brooks, he has various places so it's actually a feature for him. He can choose to use that app. But I'm searching for something more convenient. Unfortunately for BB10, there's not much choice in BBW for a good media player that plays all formats. So a poor ecosystem is a big negative for me and others.

Which brings us back to the entire point of this thread, is the ecosystem all hype? I don't believe so. It's necessary to cater to the different things people do and to do it easily and effectively. That's the entire selling point of BlackBerry right? Productivity? Efficiency?
    01-05-16 05:56 PM
    It's not an all or nothing device. That's why a good ecosystem is about. Choices.

Having choices lets us find the apps we need to do what we do as fast and efficient as possible.

Take for example the Kalemsoft thing where it starts off asking where I want to look for my video files. Well for me, I only store them on my SD card on my phone. So for me, that feature is a nuisance. For others like brooks, he has various places so it's actually a feature for him. He can choose to use that app. But I'm searching for something more convenient. Unfortunately for BB10, there's not much choice in BBW for a good media player that plays all formats. So a poor ecosystem is a big negative for me and others.

Which brings us back to the entire point of this thread, is the ecosystem all hype? I don't believe so. It's necessary to cater to the different things people do and to do it easily and effectively. That's the entire selling point of BlackBerry right? Productivity? Efficiency?
    I agree choice is good. I also do not believe ecosystem is hype. It is a absolutely one of the main reasons BB10 failed.

As I get older, I tend to not worry about saving seconds but more about enjoying those seconds. If someone finds something that works well for them but takes a couple extra seconds to use, I wouldn't stress over it. Everyone has to find their own sweet spot.
    01-05-16 06:02 PM
    The real difference in the app ecosystem will not emerge until the desktop PC and Laptop have been obliterated by smartphone hardware. That day is coming fast. The strategic direction is who wants to own that ecosystem, as opposed to the Google/Apple circus that will be fighting for who sells the most music, movies, and 99 cent apps on devices that come free on a two year contract.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 06:03 PM
    The real difference in the app ecosystem will not emerge until the desktop PC and Laptop have been obliterated by smartphone hardware. That day is coming fast. The strategic direction is who wants to own that ecosystem, as opposed to the Google/Apple circus that will be fighting for who sells the most music, movies, and 99 cent apps on devices that come free on a two year contract.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't count either of those companies out from leading the way. Neither is one dementional and both are very innovative.
    01-05-16 06:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not a bad argument, but remember, Apple doesn't use its devices to push content; it pushes content to sell devices. Similarly, Google doesn't use devices or software to push content, or vice versa; it uses devices, software and content to push advertising. Well, generally.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-05-16 06:28 PM
    Not a bad argument, but remember, Apple doesn't use its devices to push content; it pushes content to sell devices. Similarly, Google doesn't use devices or software to push content, or vice versa; it uses devices, software and content to push advertising. Well, generally.
    Except I'm talking about who will control the digital workspace as the next horizon in mobile computing, not the digital playspace. The iPhone was created as a personal computer that fit into your pocket, but it has morphed into something completely different in terms of how it is actually used. iOS was intended to work cross device with the capability to the run desktop apps. But it has not fully succeeded in this regard...yet. The closest thing they have is the iPad pro which is far from revolutionary. As for Android...they have essentially replicated Apple's strategy with a cheaper and more universally accessible alternative. Therefore I see what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10 to be highly underestimated. Particularly once hardware builders begin shipping out mobile units running x86 and x64 capable processors. This is where I believe BlackBerry could make a huge impact, bridging their hardware/software security know-how with the new productivity mobile workspace. For the time being at least, it appears they are more concerned about generating cash flow from their hardware division by re-packaging Samsung hardware for Google...and writing software for cars. But we will see...

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    01-05-16 07:17 PM
    Except I'm talking about who will control the digital workspace as the next horizon in mobile computing, not the digital playspace. The iPhone was created as a personal computer that fit into your pocket, but it has morphed into something completely different in terms of how it is actually used. iOS was intended to work cross device with the capability to the run desktop apps. But it has not fully succeeded in this regard...yet.
    I see a lot of PCs being used for applications that don't require PCs. Microsoft clearly sees that there are increasing numbers of people who don't need PCs so they are at least hoping that they will still need Office - on their iOs or Android tablets. IBM obviously feels it needs to include internally-developed iOS apps and Apple hardware in its enterprise solutions.

If you're looking for mobile devices to run desktop apps then you're missing the point. How many people really need desktop apps? You know those kids with their faces buried in their smartphones? What do you think they are going to look to technology-wise as they go to college and enter the work force? They will eventually look at keyboards the way that we look at manual typewriters now (BTW, I learned to type on a manual).
    01-05-16 07:37 PM
    Except I'm talking about who will control the digital workspace as the next horizon in mobile computing, not the digital playspace. The iPhone was created as a personal computer that fit into your pocket, but it has morphed into something completely different in terms of how it is actually used. iOS was intended to work cross device with the capability to the run desktop apps. But it has not fully succeeded in this regard...yet. The closest thing they have is the iPad pro which is far from revolutionary. As for Android...they have essentially replicated Apple's strategy with a cheaper and more universally accessible alternative. Therefore I see what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10 to be highly underestimated. Particularly once hardware builders begin shipping out mobile units running x86 and x64 capable processors. This is where I believe BlackBerry could make a huge impact, bridging their hardware/software security know-how with the new productivity mobile workspace. For the time being at least, it appears they are more concerned about generating cash flow from their hardware division by re-packaging Samsung hardware for Google...and writing software for cars. But we will see...

Posted via CB10
    Apple is moving very rapidly in this direction but Google and Microsoft are pushing this as well. All three of these companies are something like 100 times the size of BB and WAY ahead of BB from what I can see.
    01-05-16 07:45 PM
    Uhhhh that is revisionist history. iOS was not build for an app store. When Apple launched they did not even have one. They were hawking HTML 5 as the answer. It was not until developers and users screamed "I WANT NATIVE APPS" that they came up with the whole walled garden app idea... It was a good money making idea, sure... But iOS was not built specifically with this in mind.
    The App Store for the iPhone opened about a year after the first iPhone was released. I don't know for sure that is was already in the pipeline, but unlike BlackBerry, Apple does tend to have a multiyear plan and probably had it in the works well in advance of the release. I'm sure it took awhile just to develop and make ready for market. When the fingerprint scanner was first introduced, it wasn't touted as a secure way to make mobile payments, but Apple was certainly working on Apple Pay at the time. Apple seems to be very capable of planning out future product releases but tailoring marking to focus on the current product, while setting things up for the next release. BlackBerry never does this, unfortunately.
    01-05-16 07:48 PM
    The problem with apps is that you have to let an unknown third party have access to your information.

Do i really want a third party file manager? So i can give some unknown company access to literally every file on my phone?

This is why i prefer BB10, you get everything you need out of the box, apps should be supplementary, not necessary.

I pray for the day that everything moves back to Internet, or html5 and we can do away with most apps. Maybe this will be the reason to keep BB10 alive but in the background, prepare it for the day apps are not important because all the services are hosted online instead

But you're still trusting a third-party with your files. BlackBerry is a developer.
    01-05-16 07:49 PM
    I see a lot of PCs being used for applications that don't require PCs. Microsoft clearly sees that there are increasing numbers of people who don't need PCs so they are at least hoping that they will still need Office - on their iOs or Android tablets. IBM obviously feels it needs to include internally-developed iOS apps and Apple hardware in its enterprise solutions.

If you're looking for mobile devices to run desktop apps then you're missing the point. How many people really need desktop apps? You know those kids with their faces buried in their smartphones? What do you think they are going to look to technology-wise as they go to college and enter the work force? They will eventually look at keyboards the way that we look at manual typewriters now (BTW, I learned to type on a manual).
    Sorry I should have clarified...people who need their devices/computers to do work. And I believe there are quite a few of us. :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 07:50 PM
    But you're still trusting a third-party with your files. BlackBerry is a developer.
    Yes, but in buying the phone i have already chosen to trust them. By using android you choose to trust Google, as well as the 3rd party that supplies the file manager, and the one that supplies your calculator, and your music player, and your etc

There is also more comfort in knowing it was built in, does it have to communicate outside the phone other than updates? You are granting access for those apps, not just using one that was built in

01-05-16 09:22 PM
    Beat me to it lol.

Posted via CB10
    Not at all and that is fine by me!

My ego is not governed by 'likes' and 'followers.'

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    01-05-16 09:46 PM
492 ... 89101112 ...