But anyway many apps on android look more amateurish and don't follow the lollipop ui.
    I disagree with that statement. A lot of the apps i use are well presented, very well presented.
    I realise there are a few on Android that match your description, but you can level that claim at any app store, so it seems unfair to single out GPS
    01-04-16 08:53 PM
    You can always find junk apps in any ecosystem - including hundreds of thousands in BB World - so here's a huge list of examples of great Android apps with fantastic designs:

Android Niceties
    01-04-16 09:16 PM
    I disagree with that statement. A lot of the apps i use are well presented, very well presented.
    I realise there are a few on Android that match your description, but you can level that claim at any app store, so it seems unfair to single out GPS
    Sure there are good apps but many apps have to say compatible with android 4 since so many are still on it.

And I'm sorry but android before lollipop was flat out ugly. It was nice that bb was able to update the ui and the apps followed the new ui automatically but the change wasn't as big.
    01-04-16 09:33 PM
    Sure there are good apps but most apps have to say compatible with android 4 since so many are still on it.

And I'm sorry but android before lollipop was hideous. It was nice that bb was able to update the ui and the apps followed the new ui automatically.
    Kit kat android was absolutely fine. As stable as bb10 and more lightweight. I know this for a fact as when I left bb10 I went on a kit kat device.
    Pre kitkat maybe you may have a point but I can't comment on that as I only ever used android while waiting for replacement blackberry devices back then.
    01-04-16 09:37 PM
    Kit kat android was absolutely fine. As stable as bb10 and more lightweight. I know this for a fact as when I left bb10 I went on a kit kat device.
    Pre kitkat maybe you may have a point but I can't comment on that as I only ever used android while waiting for replacement blackberry devices back then.
    The UI was awful. Why else do you think it changed so much in lollipop. Because they knew it was bad and needed a refresh. Sure bb 10.3 had a new ui too but the apps used the new ui with no changes needed.
    01-04-16 09:39 PM
    The UI was awful. Why else do you think it changed so much in lollipop. Because they knew it was bad and needed a refresh.
    Didn't really bother me as I always set up my android devices in my own personal set up. So can't really comment on the ui too much. Maybe it was bad? Subjective again really.
    01-04-16 09:43 PM
    I do think bb10 apps were of a higher quality then many apps on android at least from the smaller developers. I tend to avoid apps from small developers on android while I wasn't nearly as hesitant on bb10.
    That's a tough one for me to concur with. The app quality on Android benefits from competition.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-04-16 09:49 PM
    Ecosystem hype-wvsr217.png

Definitely subjective. Like one, dislike one!
    01-04-16 09:53 PM
    That's a tough one for me to concur with. The app quality on Android benefits from competition.
    Well I guess with there being more competition the chances of stumbling on subpar apps is higher then as well.
    01-04-16 09:54 PM
    Well I guess with there being more competition the chances of stumbling on a subpar app is higher then.
    If you're looking hard.

That's why I am somewhat flummoxed by the common refrain around here: "finding an app is so hard."

Searching Google Play for top rated apps is easy. Peer review easily separates the good from the bad, and it takes more work to find bad apps.
    TgeekB and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    01-04-16 09:58 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wvSr217.png 
Views:	356 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	386623

Definitely subjective. Like one, dislike one!
    Flat design (less skeuomorphism) in the UI appeared at roughly the same time across platforms. It's the current flavor of the month.
    01-04-16 10:03 PM
    It's the current flavor of the month.
    Yes it is. I am just waiting to see who hates and who likes.
    01-04-16 10:17 PM
    I love BB10 and am not a huge app person by any stretch (easy to add web shortcuts), but the sad truth is that even in Canada (BlackBerry's home with probably more BB devices per capita than other countries) many banks, news outlets, retailers, etc., either never made a BB10 app or ended support for their BB10 apps, while still supporting Android and iOS apps. Unfortunately, I think that this speaks volumes.
    About who...? ;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    GenghisKahn2011 likes this.
    01-04-16 10:24 PM
    I'm saying that since Priv came out... I'm an enthusiast owner of a Passport and what I think now is that BB has done the Priv as a marketing move: I mean, BB seems not to invest so much in marketing and they had the """tech""" bloggers and media against them, so to me it seems they throw at them something they wanted just to create some hype on the brand. It's more or less similar to Apple that claims they don't take advantage of the data and the privacy but the real point is that they're making big dollars on an old style business model, selling premium products at jewelry prices, that's why they can be happy with that! C'mon!
    01-05-16 01:24 AM
    I'm an enthusiast owner of a Passport and what I think now is that BB has done the Priv as a marketing move.
    You genuinely believe Priv was nothing more than a marketing move?
    01-05-16 03:05 AM
    Ah, another assumption. If you want to talk privacy and data it goes beyond apps. Can you definitively show me that BlackBerry makes you more secure than other phones without BES/BIS? That's how the average consumer uses their BlackBerry. What makes you feel secure? Is it the fact that your carrier has access to all Internet traffic and probably everything else you do on their network, regardless of you being on a BlackBerry? Is it the third party email you use on your BlackBerry to send your personal data and conversations? You think it's safe because you're using a BlackBerry? Most of those services are free be it Gmail, Hotmail whatever. Is it the cloud you store data on? Is that safe because you're using a BlackBerry? Maybe the social networks with your life on it, because heck you're using a BlackBerry so those are secure now too. There are free apps in BlackBerry World too, are you suggesting to never use them? How do we know the paid apps don't mine our data too? Maybe we should just not use apps at all.

Point is, you can try to live in a bubble, but the reality is there is so much reliance on the corporations providing free services it's almost unavoidable. You can take your precautions, be smart with your data by avoid social networks etc, but unless you live in a cave your kidding yourself if you think your 100% secure. If your running BES/BIS sure you probably have a level of security above the others, but for the average user without it your no better than the iPhones or various android devices.

Posted via CB10
    No. I don't trust my carrier. I changed one precisely because it forced me to agree that I use a Cisco router and that my data may end up on US servers. This is illegal in Canada, unless I agree. I didn't. Few people read the long fine print when they install the software from their carrier.

I don't trust BlackBerry either.
    I don't have a third party email.
    I don't use cloud services. I have the cloud in my phone and in my laptop. I can also carry ten's of Tbytes in my pocket without feeling the weight and at little cost (in my opinion).

Yes. It is hard to protect yourself these days from intrusion but that is not an excuse for telling others that this is how things should be. It's not even legal, unless you click on the agree button.
    That should tell you that something is rotten.
    01-05-16 06:40 AM
    No. I don't trust my carrier. I changed one precisely because it forced me to agree that I use a Cisco router and that my data may end up on US servers. This is illegal in Canada, unless I agree. I didn't. Few people read the long fine print when they install the software from their carrier.

I don't trust BlackBerry either.
    I don't have a third party email.
    I don't use cloud services. I have the cloud in my phone and in my laptop. I can also carry ten's of Tbytes in my pocket without feeling the weight and at little cost (in my opinion).

Yes. It is hard to protect yourself these days from intrusion but that is not an excuse for telling others that this is how things should be. It's not even legal, unless you click on the agree button.
    That should tell you that something is rotten.
    Hows your bomb shelter coming? One day you'll wake up to the fact that spent so much time on this mission of yours and you ended up missing out and wasting lots of time better used living. Good luck.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-05-16 08:37 AM
    This is a common BB10 comment but no real examples.
    I'm starting to believe that it's crackberry that is stuck in 2007.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    01-05-16 08:50 AM
    Too bad app developers get to choose winners and losers of operating systems. How much credit should Apple really get for this?

Posted via CB10
    They get a lot of credit, because they intentionally built iOS in order to create the ecosystem for their app store, based on the iTunes model. Apple learned that it's financially better to earn transaction fees for content created by others, whether artists or developers.

That's the real reason the world went app crazy on mobile, and what panicked Google into releasing Android as an open source OS.

Apple gets the credit for the transformation of mobile to the current app-centered model. The fact that some of us think that the model is a huge step backward in terms of quality, efficiency, and value does not detract from Apple's business acumen.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 08:57 AM
    They get a lot of credit, because they intentionally built iOS in order to create the ecosystem for their app store, based on the iTunes model. Apple learned that it's financially better to earn transaction fees for content created by others, whether artists or developers.

That's the real reason the world went app crazy on mobile, and what panicked Google into releasing Android as an open source OS.

Apple gets the credit for the transformation of mobile to the current app-centered model. The fact that some of us think that the model is a huge step backward in terms of quality, efficiency, and value does not detract from Apple's business acumen.

Posted via CB10
    Uhhhh that is revisionist history. iOS was not build for an app store. When Apple launched they did not even have one. They were hawking HTML 5 as the answer. It was not until developers and users screamed "I WANT NATIVE APPS" that they came up with the whole walled garden app idea... It was a good money making idea, sure... But iOS was not built specifically with this in mind.
    01-05-16 09:03 AM
    Compared to the Palm OS days where you bought apps from developers individually, I'd say things have dramatically improved. Apps often cost more than $20, you had to enter your financial info and wait for an unlock code, often days later, and then sometimes enter a new code when the app updated. Also, you had to download a zip file and then install via your PC.

Apps usually cost no more than $10, often much less, are automatically delivered to your device, no unlock codes, and you don't have to give any developer your credit card info.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-05-16 09:14 AM
    there's nothing you can do on BB10 that you can't do on Android (though the opposite isn't true), even though it might be done a different way on Android.
    Things that BB10 can do that the Priv cannot:
    1. Set app specific permissions (not available on Priv, available on bb10)
    2. Keep your data private from google
    01-05-16 09:21 AM
    Things that BB10 can do that the Priv cannot:
    1. Set app specific permissions (not available on Priv, available on bb10)
    2. Keep your data private from google
    I can. I have a Nexus 6P. The Priv will be able to do this in the next few months. Then what are you going to say? Oh yeah, you'll just revert to 6th grade "Priv sucks!"
    01-05-16 09:30 AM
    I was BB10 user(Passport) and what I was reading whole last year on CB that BB10 lacking apps and eco system.
    Now I have switched to Priv(Android) and I am on hunt to find basic apps like Explorer, Video, Gallery etc..
    I think hundreds of apps were installed and removed. Almost all apps having different issues, I installed many Explorers and some need seconds to index files and some crashes most of the times. I am even ready to buy apps to get rid of stupid and annoying ads but didn't find reliable apps to spend my money. BB10 is way perfect for normal needs and efficiency. For me apps issue is just a hype excluding professional apps banking etc.

Posted via Priv...
    Honestly I don't get the obsession with File Managers from the blackberry folks. I've bought Astro on Android back when it was 2.1, and I've hardly used it. I've use ES File Manager with no problems on multiple android phones. And Asus one seems to be available for all phones, and I've heard good things about that.

Neither Astro or ES has crashed on me.

Video and Gallery is already under photos in the folder with all the google apps.

It's great that BB10 is perfect for your needs, but you're not even 1% of the smartphone population.
    01-05-16 09:33 AM
    Honestly I don't get the obsession with File Managers from the blackberry folks.
    That is simply because you probably don't use a file manager all that much. I would venture to say that the average user has no GREAT need for a good file manager. For me, I can honestly say that there is not one day goes by without me using the BB10 File Manager. I use it constantly to move files (some large, some small) from my device to my personal cloud (WD Mycloud), Onedrive, or Box. Having said that, I am not so naive to say that android does not have great file managers as well. BB10 users have a really good built-in File Manager that they don't want to give up. Why look for an app when the function is built into the OS.
    01-05-16 09:46 AM
492 ... 678910 ...