All of that neatly avoids the question of why BB themselves aren't going down the HTML5 path for their own apps.
    If it is so neat, why are you perplexed?

If you can, explain to me the logic behind many decisions BlackBerry has made in the last 4-5 years. If you can identify an integrated logic, then enlighten me.

In following all the discussions suggesting BlackBerry lacks the resources to do this or do that, I conclude that BlackBerry lacks the resources to explore HTML5. BlackBerry does not consult me or seem to respond to various requests made throughout CB.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    01-01-16 08:39 PM
    If it is so neat, why are you perplexed?

If you can, explain to me the logic behind many decisions BlackBerry has made in the last 4-5 years. If you can identify an integrated logic, then enlighten me.
    They didn't make it HTML5 because it would have been incredibly clunky, presence status would have been unreliable, and the encryption would have been really slow. These are the kinds of issues where the HTML5 hype falls flat on its face. Notice how many other messaging apps are also native.

We offer our customers both where I work. Most have access to apps. All have access to our HTML5 site. The apps are faster, better received, result in fewer calls to customer service, result in more transactions, support more sophisticated auth and encryption schemes, and have fewer cases of fraud. That's why we continue to invest in them. HTML5 isn't our future, it's just what we do as a backup for those few users who can't or won't install apps.
    TgeekB and Blacklatino like this.
    01-01-16 08:46 PM
    Virtual ecosystem = over rated by techno geeks.

Natural ecosystem = under rated and under appreciated till gone.

Out of the box. Bb10 = The Best.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 08:55 PM
    They didn't make it HTML5 because it would have been incredibly clunky, presence status would have been unreliable, and the encryption would have been really slow. These are the kinds of issues where the HTML5 hype falls flat on its face. Notice how many other messaging apps are also native.

We offer our customers both where I work. Most have access to apps. All have access to our HTML5 site. The apps are faster, better received, result in fewer calls to customer service, result in more transactions, support more sophisticated auth and encryption schemes, and have fewer cases of fraud. That's why we continue to invest in them. HTML5 isn't our future, it's just what we do as a backup for those few users who can't or won't install apps.
    You avoided my questions!

BBM is a poor example of an app to port to HTML5 and you provided the reasons why.

It functions well in BlackBerry 10 as a BlackBerry 10 app because it natively takes advantage of the natures of both BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry hardware.

01-01-16 09:00 PM
    You avoided my questions!

BBM is a poor example of an app to port to HTML5 and you provided the reasons why.

It functions well in BlackBerry 10 as a BlackBerry 10 app because it natively takes advantage of the natures of both BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry hardware.
    And there are other example of apps that are not great in HTML5. Messaging apps. Banking apps. Social apps (see LinkedIn and what they learned from their user feedback when they tried to move everything to HTML5). Apps that must interact with hardware (home automation, cars, fitness)

Or let's look at Uber. They have both HTML5 and native. Why aren't their apps just wrappers of the HTML5 site they already pay for? It's because they measure engagement just like the rest of us do.

And immersive games obviously work better as native.

So how is HTML5 the future again?
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-01-16 09:03 PM
    Sorry! But BBM on Android and iOS are INCOMPLETE and in no way nearly equivalent to BBM on BlackBerry 10.

Since BlackBerry could not replicate the BBM experience on Android or iOS this suggests to me that both have particular inherent weaknesses BlackBerry 10 has overcome.
    All that means is that BBM was developed as the primary messaging client for BB10 and with BlackBerry users like you in mind. Since BlackBerry controls the OS, the app can access everything. BBM for iOS and Android is specifically not developed with BB10 users in mind and can only access the OS functions that Google and Apple allow 3rd party developers. BBM directly competes with the primary messaging clients for those platforms so it obviously won't be as rich.
    01-01-16 09:03 PM
    All that means is that BBM was developed as the primary messaging client for BB10 and with BlackBerry users like you in mind. Since BlackBerry controls the OS, the app can access everything. BBM for iOS and Android is specifically not developed with BB10 users in mind and can only access the OS functions that Google and Apple allow 3rd party developers. BBM directly competes with the primary messaging clients for those platforms so it obviously won't be as rich.
    And once again, BlackBerry tarnished its image trying to play in the IOS and Android playgrounds.

01-01-16 09:16 PM
    And there are other example of apps that are not great in HTML5. Messaging apps. Banking apps.

So how is HTML5 the future again?
    My bank devloped iOS and Android apps for personal accounts ONLY!

You MUST use browsers (HTML) to access commercial accounts which are typically subject to even greater security.

I remain unconvinced by your debate points.

01-01-16 09:23 PM

You MUST use browsers (HTML) to access commercial accounts which are typically subject to even greater security.
    Or, perhaps they believe that mobile devices facilitate personal banking more than commercial banking, currently. Perhaps commercial accounts have more complex layers of access which are more difficult to implement on personal devices.
    01-01-16 09:42 PM
    Or, perhaps they believe that mobile devices facilitate personal banking more than commercial banking, currently. Perhaps commercial accounts have more complex layers of access which are more difficult to implement on personal devices.
    No!!! One bank that doesn't make an app for commercial customers CLEARLY shows apps are overrated.
    01-01-16 09:51 PM
    Google Hangouts on Android (and not on BB10) is conclusive proof that Android has overcome weaknesses that BB10 cannot.
    01-01-16 09:53 PM

I remain unconvinced by your debate points.
    I work in that industry. Most of us have many more retail customers than commercial. And generally consumers bank on their phones more often than businesses (although that gap narrowed a bit in 2015). So of course we invest more in retail tech. Those retail customers are also much more likely to switch banks if someone else offers better service. So, to put it simply, we fight harder to keep them satisfied.

We also bear more of the cost of fraud with consumers because of regulatory and retention concerns. So we had our real apps for consumers first also. That's pretty common.

How many times do businesses get the "future" tech versus consumers? Look at commercial software in general.
    01-01-16 09:53 PM
    I'll give you one example. Teladoc now has an app. You can communicate with their doctors if you have a medical issue. No app for BB10.

I just got a yuneec typhoon 500 drone . No app on BB10 unless I use Android. Same for Phantom.

Competitors are using periscope to stream. Can't use a native app for it.

Now I can use cobalt of snap as workarounds for some of these apps but if I didn't, I'd be screwed and I love my passport.

Posted via CB10
    Too bad app developers get to choose winners and losers of operating systems. How much credit should Apple really get for this?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 10:30 PM
    Too bad app developers get to choose winners and losers of operating systems. How much credit should Apple really get for this?

Posted via CB10
    They don't. If 30% of smartphone sales were BB10 instead of 0.3% developers would write apps for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 10:38 PM
    Yeah but the problem with your statement is that you can get all of those things with other platforms. File sharing, great battery life, etc. can all be done on others.

Multitasking on a call? Now its being claimed that only BB10 users can do this? Where on earth did someone come up with this? I can multitask on any phone I want while on a call.

Keyboard I'll give you, if you want a physical one.
    Yeah, I knew that response was coming ... :-)

Sure you can.
    Joe Doe, I saw him struggle. Or Jane for that matter. "I didn't know you could do that.."

Let's leave it at that. Cheers, Happy New Year!

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    01-02-16 12:13 AM
    Your problem is you want Android to be BB10
    Yeah you wont find exact replicas of the BB10 File explorer on Android.
    You can find some that are equal to what it did and some that surpass it as well as others that are not as good.
    No hunting is needed at all
    Too much unreasonable hysteria here
    My problem is I need efficiency SE need 6 seconds to show my folders every time while BlackBerry explorer index files and folders once that's open files and folders less than a second

Posted via Priv...
    01-02-16 12:47 AM
    I was BB10 user(Passport) and what I was reading whole last year on CB that BB10 lacking apps and eco system.
    Now I have switched to Priv(Android) and I am on hunt to find basic apps like Explorer, Video, Gallery etc..
    I think hundreds of apps were installed and removed. Almost all apps having different issues, I installed many Explorers and some need seconds to index files and some crashes most of the times. I am even ready to buy apps to get rid of stupid and annoying ads but didn't find reliable apps to spend my money. BB10 is way perfect for normal needs and efficiency. For me apps issue is just a hype excluding professional apps banking etc.

Posted via Priv...
    You do realize that it's up to the hardware OEM (in this case BlackBerry) to make their own user experience. If the Priv is lacking features, BlackBerry is to blame.

For example, this LG G4 Phone had a file manager, video player, and photo gallery built in, and were provided and maintained by LG. I'm going to assume the same can be said for Samsung phones as well.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-02-16 01:12 AM
    You do realize that it's up to the hardware OEM (in this case BlackBerry) to make their own user experience. If the Priv is lacking features, BlackBerry is to blame.

For example, this LG G4 Phone had a file manager, video player, and photo gallery built in, and were provided and maintained by LG. I'm going to assume the same can be said for Samsung phones as well.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    My dear fella I never blame Android for lacking basic apps! It's BlackBerry's responsibility to provide basic apps like Explorer, Video, picture and music app

Posted via Priv...
    01-02-16 01:16 AM
    My dear fella I never blame Android for lacking basic apps! It's BlackBerry's responsibility to provide basic apps like Explorer, Video, picture and music app

Posted via Priv...
    Except for a file manager, all android devices provide video, picture and music app. And the file manager is not needed for Android to operate, you can do all tasks without one. But, unlike Apple, Google decided that it will not block such apps from existing (for those who need it) and devs have developed some pretty great ones (Solid Explorer being my preferred choice).
    01-02-16 01:37 AM

Posted via Priv...
    Spoonfeeding much...
    01-02-16 02:09 AM
    What, a file explorer? Please tell me what else he has to hunt and peck for outside of that.

And why does Cobalt exist if apps mean nothing to Blackberry users? Blackberry users spend more time trying to get certain apps for their phone than any other user of another OS has to.
    Ain't that the truth! Left side of mouth: "I hate android!" Right side of mouth: "I want an updated Android runtime for my BlackBerry phone!"

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    01-02-16 06:38 AM
    This thread reminds me of the BBOS days when people would come in here and say "People don't need a full web browser on a phone. The gutted BBOS version is all anyone needs."
    01-02-16 07:50 AM
    This thread reminds me of the BBOS days when people would come in here and say "People don't need a full web browser on a phone. The gutted BBOS version is all anyone needs."
    Exactly. It's kind of like when I bought a new car 15 years ago and it had a built-in CD player. My wife used a Discman with the adaptor that was a cassette that went into the tape player. Her system worked just fine to play a CD; she convinced herself she didn't need a built-in CD player. Or when I looked for a new car 5 years ago and thought it was completely unnecessary to have a 6 disc CD changer and heated seats. Now I would never go back, but I tried to convince myself that I could just manually change the CD every time.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 01-02-16 at 10:04 AM.
    01-02-16 09:44 AM
    Man... Probably not even a third of all music I buy can even be bought on a CD anymore. And I still have the first CD's I bought back in the 80's when they were becoming all the shiz. The times, they do change!

01-02-16 09:47 AM
    Man... Probably not even a third of all music I buy can even be bought on a CD anymore. And I still have the first CD's I bought back in the 80's when they were becoming all the shiz. The times, they do change!

I used to be cool like you. Then I had kids and got old lol. Still aa sucker for an actual CD and the booklet that comes with it.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 10:11 AM
492 12345 ...