The mobile app market is a $25 billion industry but all the hype has been exposed on the pages of the CrackBerry forum. Who would have thought?
    01-01-16 03:17 PM
    Too many people live in the past here. Ironic considering that was Blackberry's biggest problem.
    Brings to mind a saying about pet owners and resembalances
    BB10 actually used to get top marks from HTML5 tests when in launched. But the competition improved at a rapid pace and the BB10 browser not so much. Also, Chrome is actually running Javascript better than most browsers as well.
    01-01-16 03:22 PM
    BB10 actually used to get top marks from HTML5 tests when in launched. But the competition improved at a rapid pace and the BB10 browser not so much. Also, Chrome is actually running Javascript better than most browsers as well.
    Just tried the html5 test on my Passport running 10.3.2.2876 and it scored 466. The web site quotes BB10 (10.3) at 449. Is this because the score is based on a lower version of 10.3 or an inferior BB10 device? Anyway, while scoring lower than Chrome and Firefox, it is still very competitive. I am happy with the stock browser as of yet.
    01-01-16 03:30 PM
    Just tried the html5 test on my Passport running 10.3.2.2876 and it scored 466. The web site quotes BB10 (10.3) at 449. Is this because the score is based on a lower version of 10.3 or an inferior BB10 device? Anyway, while scoring lower than Chrome and Firefox, it is still very competitive. I am happy with the stock browser as of yet.
    Nobody said it was not a good score (and in most cases you don't find any faulty websites because of it), it's just that it's not the best score as it used to. A lot of people here on CB used to brag about BB10 having the best browser because of the HTML5 score, but they didn't bother to check newer versions of competing browsers.
    01-01-16 03:38 PM
    I'm satisfied with the BB10 browser for most things, but I keep Firefox on my Passport for bookmark sync with my laptop. I'm also annoyed at the absence of alphabetic bookmark sort on BB10. It seems like such a small thing but when you start to accumulate a lot of bookmarks it becomes important. Is there any other browser on any platform that doesn't support alphabetic sort of bookmarks?

The more we are inclined to use web sites instead of apps, the more important it is to have the very best browser. BlackBerry doesn't seem to be doing much, if anything, to keep the BB10 browser at the head of the class.
    kbz1960 and Blacklatino like this.
    01-01-16 03:42 PM
    Nobody said it was not a good score (and in most cases you don't find any faulty websites because of it), it's just that it's not the best score as it used to. A lot of people here on CB used to brag about BB10 having the best browser because of the HTML5 score, but they didn't bother to check newer versions of competing browsers.
    Yeah, I wasn't bragging about anything--if you read my post again you might see that I was asking a question about the difference between what I found in my personal score and the value that the website quoted. Any idea about the difference?
    01-01-16 03:43 PM
    Too many people live in the past here. Ironic considering that was Blackberry's biggest problem.
    Brings to mind a saying about pet owners and resembalances
    My own comment was more of a criticism of the clowns on this site than any particular os' browser. The point was BlackBerry's browser excelled, but I'm sure the same usuals who always show up on queue in every topic to slam BlackBerry also showed up when "BB10 actually used to get top marks from HTML5 tests when it launched" to posit how android or ios are actually better. I would never want an iphone. Why would I want a phone with which people have trouble sending email attachments? For its glorious "eco ssystem," to help apple make money?

I recently upgraded my Q10 from 10.2 to 10.3. I was sad to lose Flash player because I lost the capability to listen to di.fm in my Browser. Still, it's not such a biggie because I like everything else about 10.3 so much better. Even so, I won't sideload di.fm's android spyware, rather I just won't be its listener on mobile. The only android spyware I'm running on my Q10 is Skype from BlackBerry World.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-01-16 03:49 PM
    And BB10 does not? Most of the appsin BB World used to be junk
    Key words USED to be

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 03:52 PM
    Yeah, I wasn't bragging about anything--if you read my post again you might see that I was asking a question about the difference between what I found in my personal score and the value that the website quoted. Any idea about the difference?
    The score should be browser dependent. Maybe they tested 10.3.0 and not 10.3.2
    01-01-16 03:55 PM
    But every app store has junk apps. Not necessarily knocking any app store, but it should be expected. Point though is that the popular apps that most people might need/want are there

Posted via CB10
    Point is NO one can say Android is better!

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 03:57 PM
    The score should be browser dependent. Maybe they tested 10.3.0 and not 10.3.2
    Too bad they don't update the info then. 10.3.2.xxxx has been around for quite a while. Thanks!
    01-01-16 03:58 PM
    My own comment was more of a criticism of the clowns on this site than any particular os' browser. The point was BlackBerry's browser excelled, but I'm sure the same usuals who always show up on queue in every topic to slam BlackBerry also showed up when "BB10 actually used to get top marks from HTML5 tests when it launched" to posit how android or ios are actually better. I would never want an iphone. Why would I want a phone with which people have trouble sending email attachments? For its glorious "eco ssystem," to help apple make money?

I recently upgraded my Q10 from 10.2 to 10.3. I was sad to lose Flash player because I lost the capability to listen to di.fm in my Browser. Still, it's not such a biggie because I like everything else about 10.3 so much better. Even so, I won't sideload di.fm's android spyware, rather I just won't be its listener on mobile. The only android spyware I'm running on my Q10 is Skype from BlackBerry World.
    Facts are neither good or bad, they are facts. you stated that "For example, BlackBerry's browser supersedes the others when it comes to html5." and it was proven wrong. Being a fact of a certain OS does not and cannot deny facts.

Nobody is saying the BB10 browser isn't good, because it is. Chances are the lower score of the BB10 browser won't have any impact on you for 99% of sites. It's just that the BB10 browser no longer supersedes other browsers, it just is a middle of the pack one.
    01-01-16 04:04 PM
    Key words USED to be

Posted via CB10
    And still are I'm sure.
    When i get a chance to browse it again, i will double check
    01-01-16 04:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think the large user-base of Android is a good filter for "junk apps". With a little bit of common sense and looking at the review score and number of reviews you can determine if an app is good or bad. It is not a 100% fail-proof method, but me personally I don't know anyone who got malware or viruses from the Play store.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    01-01-16 04:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    In terms of Junk Apps Android has more then BB10.
    Also in terms of quality apps, Android has more then BB10.

In personal terms one can say Android is better or one can say BB10 is better. In general terms you cant say either, because Android cant please everyone and neither can BB10.
    Tbh arguing over platforms is like arguing over which shade of blue is the best
    01-01-16 04:08 PM
    I think the large user-base of Android is a good filter for "junk apps". With a little bit of common sense and looking at the review score and number of reviews you can determine if an app is good or bad. It is not a 100% fail-proof method, but me personally I don't know anyone who got malware or viruses from the Play store.
    It is so easy using the play store to weed out quality from chaff.
    As well as the reviews you get editor's picks and trusted developers which are safe to download from.
    01-01-16 04:10 PM

I recently upgraded my Q10 from 10.2 to 10.3. I was sad to lose Flash player because I lost the capability to listen to di.fm in my Browser. .
    BB10 never had flash
    01-01-16 04:33 PM
    For every person that is happy with the app situation and browser, there are also others that are not. I have had a Q10 for over 2 years. I have tried close to 100 Android apps, mostly from the Amazon store. I was not a fan. Many never opened, many lagged, many did not have full functionality, and none of them closed properly. Every morning while walking to my office from the parking garage, I would open Ghost Commander and go through and kill the Android apps I had used. If I did not, my battery would not last the day. I finally stopped using all of them.

My browser also always freezes while using the newer versions of the ESPN and CNN websites (which if I am not mistaken were updated using html5). I am realizing I am missing out on apps that would benefit both personal and professional needs. Things like banking, local news channels, the Red Cross apps, Comcast apps, travel apps, apps to organize my daily schedule provided by conferences I attend, apps from my employer, etc. It's ridiculous that there is not one good sports app to check scores. And as time goes by, more and more apps that can link you to other technologies are coming out. We are being left behind.

And I have tried some apps through the workarounds, but they didn't work properly. And using the browser all the time is not a long term solution for some of these missing apps. In many cases, apps provide much better user interfaces and make things simpler.

There are many things about OS10 that are awesome, but the rest of the technology world is advancing while we remain stuck.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 04:48 PM
    The Ops point is you have to hunt and peck to find apps that just barely measure up to what is built into BlackBerry 10.

He is tired of wasting his time and money trying to replicate the true BlackBerry Experience in Android!
    And therein is the folly: wasting time trying to re-create one platform's experience on another. I believe most folks who successfully use more than one platform are able to avoid that.

The cool thing about CB is that even in 2016, there are folks who say apps are underrated and/or the app gap doesn't exist, right after BlackBerry itself has looked us in the eye and said otherwise.

I also find it humorous that complain about choice, and "waste" time trying to find apps. Unfortunately, again, BlackBerry seems to believe that the process is better than its own.

In the end, for folks who don't need choice, and are making the stand against the evils of apps, BB10 is till available.
    kbz1960 and Blacklatino like this.
    01-01-16 04:53 PM
    Scientifically, one can. BlackBerry does say Android app procurement process is better, hence the Priv.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-01-16 04:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol what?!? Because they have junk apps? BlackBerry doesn't????

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-01-16 05:35 PM
    What, a file explorer? Please tell me what else he has to hunt and peck for outside of that.

And why does Cobalt exist if apps mean nothing to Blackberry users? Blackberry users spend more time trying to get certain apps for their phone than any other user of another OS has to.
    Because Cobalt is one developer who valiantly tried to bridge the gap and I am grateful.

I have used Cobalt, but NONE of the Android apps he has made possible for me to use are critical to my needs. This does not negate or diminish my appreciation for Cobalt.

For me BlackBerry 10 as currently distributed is a extremely satisfying experience and I have no inclination to move away.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    01-01-16 08:09 PM
    My bank produced Android and iOS apps for personal accounts. For my business account, the app rerouted me to use a Web browser to access my business account.

I believe the future belongs to HTML5. The desire to write once run everywhere seems to be gaining momentum.
    Why do you think BBM on Android and iOS are native apps?
    01-01-16 08:13 PM
    Why do you think BBM on Android and iOS are native apps?
    Sorry! But BBM on Android and iOS are INCOMPLETE and in no way nearly equivalent to BBM on BlackBerry 10.

Since BlackBerry could not replicate the BBM experience on Android or iOS this suggests to me that both have particular inherent weaknesses BlackBerry 10 has overcome.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    01-01-16 08:29 PM
    Sorry! But BBM on Android and iOS are INCOMPLETE and in no way nearly equivalent to BBM on BlackBerry 10.

Since BlackBerry could not replicate the BBM experience on Android or iOS this suggests to me that both have particular inherent weaknesses BlackBerry 10 has overcome.
    All of that neatly avoids the question of why BB themselves aren't going down the HTML5 path for their own apps, if, in fact, HTML5 is "the future of apps".
    01-01-16 08:30 PM
492 1234 ...