The Rome will use up what market there is for a PKB. The remainder may be too small for a Bold or a Passport. Regardless, a Bold, Passport or a Rome would outsell the PRIV. IMO.
    I would argue the marker for a landscape slider (� la original HTC Dream) is actually bigger than the Passport. Especially now it's Android.

And the price of the Priv was the bigger problem, much less the form factor.
    06-27-16 06:32 AM
    But seems Chen wants the OEMs to license these products....

Have to wonder, what would be cheaper - license from BlackBerry or build your own? Samsung, HTC and Motorola could probably build their own - or improve their already unified inboxes. Now smaller Android OEMs don't have those resources...
    Problem is much less the cost of development. For someone to want to OEM something it needs brand recognition. I guarantee you outside of the BB10 crowd and XDA, nobody knows WTF is BlackBerry Hub.
    06-27-16 06:36 AM
    So I guess you see no value in the all touch Android portion of your Priv.

Obviously BlackBerry feels that they can make sell more units of the all touch and PKB phone than if they just sold a PKB phone.

If BlackBerry had updated the Z30 instead of offering the Passport, I think they would have sold more units. The PKB market is very small by comparison.

I would argue that BB10 works better on an all touch. You can not isolate the all touch BB10 units as failures. All BB10 devices have done poorly in the market place.
    Posted via CB10
    No, I do find the touchscreen on Priv useful actually, just as I did on my Q10, my Classic, and my Passport SE...but then again I obviously bought it so I don't need convincing. I will tell you this though...although I vastly prefer a BlackBerry pkb, if left with no alternative I would take an Apple vkb over the Blackberry or Android version any day, because I just believe it is more efficient and comfortable to use. But that's just me. Back to touchscreen only devices, its funny you should mention BB10 because that was really Blackberry's only differentiating / selling feature in that market space. And we all know how well BB10 (on its own merits) sells devices.
    Last edited by kputock; 06-27-16 at 09:33 AM.
    06-27-16 09:19 AM
    Problem is much less the cost of development. For someone to want to OEM something it needs brand recognition. I guarantee you outside of the BB10 crowd and XDA, nobody knows WTF is BlackBerry Hub.
    It's strange to me that more people don't want a basic integrated messaging center for calls, texts and emails like the Hub. Whether it's made by BlackBerry or someone else. I guess they're so used to having separate apps they don't think about it. But it's so efficient to have it that way, imho.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-16 09:23 AM
    It's strange to me that more people don't want a basic integrated messaging center for calls, texts and emails like the Hub. Whether it's made by BlackBerry or someone else. I guess they're so used to having separate apps they don't think about it. But it's so efficient to have it that way, imho.

Posted via CB10
    Probably people are more concerned with the likes they are receiving rather than the actual content.
    06-27-16 09:27 AM
    No, I do find the touchscreen on Priv useful actually, just as I did on my Q10, my Classic, and my Passport SE...but then again I obviously bought it so I don't need convincing. I will tell you this though...although I vastly prefer a BlackBerry pkb, if left with no alternative I would take an Apple vkb over the Blackberry or Android version any day, because I just believe it is more efficient and comfortable to use. But that's just me. Back to touchscreen only devices, its funny you should mention BB10 because that was really Blackberry's only differentiating / selling feature in that market space. And we all know how well BB10 (on its own merits) sells devices.
    I should have been clearer. Do you see no value in the BlackBerry apps and other customizations that BlackBerry has added onto Android ? You seem to be saying that BlackBerry is only its PKB.

Back to the PRIV ...would have been better with a PKB with the tactile feel of a 9900 or a Q10. Function over form .
    06-27-16 09:55 AM
    Probably people are more concerned with the likes they are receiving rather than the actual content.
    Probably right. I was going to like your comment and then I thought, hold on a moment... .

I'm going to sound old but it's amazing to me how much time a lot of teens spend messaging about... basically nothing. I know, judgemental I guess, and probably a sign of getting older...

In my day, we had to walk five miles through 10 foot snowbanks just to get to a payphone, harumph.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-16 11:15 AM
    Probably right. I was going to like your comment and then I thought, hold on a moment... .

I'm going to sound old but it's amazing to me how much time a lot of teens spend messaging about... basically nothing. I know, judgemental I guess, and probably a sign of getting older...

In my day, we had to walk five miles through 10 foot snowbanks just to get to a payphone, harumph.

Posted via CB10
    I always find it quite interesting how people criticize teens when they're older, although they were teens at a certain point.. And as a matter of fact, you'll see mature old people arguing about BS and acting like kids, just like teens, sometimes worse.. Its just a human case more than an age category..
    06-27-16 11:57 AM
    I always find it quite interesting how people criticize teens when they're older, although they were teens at a certain point.. And as a matter of fact, you'll see mature old people arguing about BS and acting like kids, just like teens, sometimes worse.. Its just a human case more than an age category..
    I'm not hugely critical of teens actually. But I do remember a few things I did myself as a teen and future me thinks younger me was a goof.

Posted via CB10
    Sairos likes this.
    06-27-16 02:50 PM
    I'm not hugely critical of teens actually. But I do remember a few things I did myself as a teen and future me thinks younger me was a goof.

Posted via CB10
    Haha yeah its always like this, by the progressing of time we think what we did in the past was rather idiotic.. I know I do xD.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-27-16 03:05 PM
    I think Blackberry needs to get a new device to the marketplace ASAP, this is a company with a badly damaged brand image that most everyone has forgotten about there in the USA. When I here March 2017, it may be too late by then for any new device release based on the past couple of corporate quarterly results?

They need to have whatever they are going to release ready this summer and price it to sell and to be a brand rebuilding device that folks would want to buy, but who knows for sure. To me it looks like the same complacency that got them here in the first place is still be played out up up there in those corporate offices in Waterloo.
    06-27-16 04:20 PM
    I think Blackberry needs to get a new device to the marketplace ASAP, this is a company with a badly damaged brand image that most everyone has forgotten about there in the USA. When I here March 2017, it may be too late by then for any new device release based on the past couple of corporate quarterly results?

They need to have whatever they are going to release ready this summer and price it to sell and to be a brand rebuilding device that folks would want to buy, but who knows for sure. To me it looks like the same complacency that got them here in the first place is still be played out up up there in those corporate offices in Waterloo.
    It will be definitely released this summer, with the Rome coming out later in the winter.. We will all know more about the hamburg in July, which is upon us.
    06-27-16 04:27 PM
    I should have been clearer. Do you see no value in the BlackBerry apps and other customizations that BlackBerry has added onto Android ? You seem to be saying that BlackBerry is only its PKB.

Back to the PRIV ...would have been better with a PKB with the tactile feel of a 9900 or a Q10. Function over form .
    I have no issue with the BlackBerry apps on android. Of course that does not mean there isn't any room for improvement. Having said that, I believe they could have brought a lot more of the useful features of BB10 to Android. Hopefully they still will. I also agree the pkb on the Priv could be better...even though it is noticeably better on the STV100-1 vs the hollow backed STV100-3. Once again, all these things are a direct result of trying to do too much at once. Concentrate on the internal hardware and software, and keep the form factor relatively consistent.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    06-27-16 05:20 PM
    Haha yeah its always like this, by the progressing of time we think what we did in the past was rather idiotic.. I know I do xD.
    That's so true. How soon we forget!
    06-27-16 05:27 PM
    It will be definitely released this summer, with the Rome coming out later in the winter.. We will all know more about the hamburg in July, which is upon us.
    You sound awfully confident about that. I've been around Blackberry too long to put any money on that happening.
    06-27-16 05:29 PM
    You sound awfully confident about that. I've been around Blackberry too long to put any money on that happening.
    I'm actually, Want to bet xD?
    06-27-16 05:43 PM
    I'm actually, Want to bet xD?
    LOL, I'm not a betting man but I know a bit about history!

I hope it comes as you say. They are running out of chances to stay in hardware. I am looking forward to seeing what the devices look like and how they perform. It's all just curiosity for me now.
    Sairos likes this.
    06-27-16 05:47 PM
    LOL, I'm not a betting man but I know a bit about history!

I hope it comes as you say. They are running out of chances to stay in hardware. I am looking forward to seeing what the devices look like and how they perform. It's all just curiosity for me now.
    Yeah hopefully we will see them soon xD.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-27-16 05:49 PM
68 123