I actually jumped over to using Google keyboard a while ago. I'm curious now, I'll switch back to Swiftkey and see if I can configure it as closely as possible as to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Or you can just load up theVKB from Cobalt ... no need to get the full meal deal.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-25-16 07:02 PM
    ""We are at the point that where our business are extremely efficient and we no longer really making any hardware. We are really a hardware design house. I do design, I don't really make hardware, I do design hardware and as I pointed out earlier and with the new manufacturing arrangement, that we made we don't really carry too much of the risk to our balance sheet. And then we just have to manage the bottom line from the expense side of the equation."

There is a risk to BlackBerry when the manufacturing quality control is poor. My Z10 or 9900 were excellent. Not sure that I would say that about the PRIV ( based on comments on CB).
    06-25-16 07:05 PM
    ""We are at the point that where our business are extremely efficient and we no longer really making any hardware. We are really a hardware design house. I do design, I don't really make hardware, I do design hardware and as I pointed out earlier and with the new manufacturing arrangement, that we made we don't really carry too much of the risk to our balance sheet. And then we just have to manage the bottom line from the expense side of the equation."

There is a risk to BlackBerry when the manufacturing quality control is poor. My Z10 or 9900 were excellent. Not sure that I would say that about the PRIV ( based on comments on CB).
    True, but its the way to cut down the costs in order to put some competing prices out there.. Only thing is, we saw no competing prices with the Priv.. Hopefully with the next two Phones xD..
    06-25-16 07:15 PM

Absolutely, they can't cut corners on build quality. Having played with the Priv, it's a nice all touch device, the slide out engineering is cool, but the PKB isn't anything to write home about, imho. They need to do a lot better with the Rome.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 10:26 PM
    Or you can just load up theVKB from Cobalt ... no need to get the full meal deal.
    Yeah I downloaded the Cobalt package and played a bit with the BlackBerry VKB, it's nice. I should use it full time on my Android devices and see how it does with predictions. My Passport is my daily driver so I don't generally text a lot on Android, more media consumption on those devices but I'll take some time with it.

Anyway, for me it still pales next to a good pkb with shortcuts!

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 10:30 PM
    Although Priv was an ambitious form factor experiment...an Android Classic and possibly an Android Passport is really all Blackberry needs. One small pkb, one large. Perhaps some tinkering with the screen dimensions but that's it. There is a reason Apple and Samsung (copycats) have a form factor and stick with it. You shouldn't be wasting money on form factor redesign every time you put out a new model. Which is probably why they are sticking their logo on Alcatel for the new touchscreen device that's on the way ,d concentrate their efforts on pkb going forward.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    06-26-16 09:58 AM
    Although Priv was an ambitious form factor experiment...an Android Classic and possibly an Android Passport is really all Blackberry needs. One small pkb, one large. Perhaps some tinkering with the screen dimensions but that's it. There is a reason Apple and Samsung (copycats) have a form factor and stick with it. You shouldn't be wasting money on form factor redesign every time you put out a new model. Which is probably why they are sticking their logo on Alcatel for the new touchscreen device that's on the way ,d concentrate their efforts on pkb going forward.

Do PRIV owners see no value in the larger rectangular screen and the BlackBerry skin?

I would have them make an all touch, the Rome and a smaller iconic 9900 Q10 replacement.
    06-26-16 10:10 AM

Totally agree on a larger Passport ish form factor. The Rome is for the Classic / Q10 crowd. And if it's smaller audience, they could put it on a 3 year refresh rate, like Rome and Hamburg. Then just release one a year. AVG retention is now 3 years anyway I believe.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 11:55 AM
    Totally agree on a larger Passport ish form factor. The Rome is for the Classic / Q10 crowd. And if it's smaller audience, they could put it on a 3 year refresh rate, like Rome and Hamburg. Then just release one a year. AVG retention is now 3 years anyway I believe.

Posted via CB10
    There is no Passport crowd. Maybe a gaggle.
    06-26-16 12:17 PM
    There is no Passport crowd. Maybe a gaggle.
    Do you have hard numbers to back that up? If we're splitting hairs, there really isn�t a BlackBerry crowd so much.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 12:21 PM

I agree that an android passport would've been a success.. But it depends on how we see that success.. If its a passport with a keyboard, it won't appeal to a lot of people.. Only us BlackBerry Loyalists.. It might have convinced the millions out there with a legacy device, who knows.

Personally, I think anything with a keyboard won't help the company sell to a lot of people outside of BlackBerry fans.
    06-26-16 12:27 PM
    I agree that an android passport would've been a success.. But it depends on how we see that success.. If its a passport with a keyboard, it won't appeal to a lot of people.. Only us BlackBerry Loyalists.. It might have convinced the millions out there with a legacy device, who knows.

Personally, I think anything with a keyboard won't help the company sell to a lot of people outside of BlackBerry fans.
    Honestly, my sense is the Rome would appeal more to the loyalists. Passport is my first pkb, if they hadn't released it and went straight to the Classic, I would've stayed on iOS and Android. Look back at the reviews for the Passport - it got a lot of attention and people that liked it were extremely enthusiastic about it. Biggest hurdle for the device was BlackBerry 10 and the usual app gap. I don't think it would set the world on fire but I think it would definitely do better than the Priv. In fact I'd bet the BB10 Passport did up to now.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 12:58 PM
    Honestly, my sense is the Rome would appeal more to the loyalists. Passport is my first pkb, if they hadn't released it and went straight to the Classic, I would've stayed on iOS and Android. Look back at the reviews for the Passport - it got a lot of attention and people that liked it were extremely enthusiastic about it. Biggest hurdle for the device was BlackBerry 10 and the usual app gap. I don't think it would set the world on fire but I think it would definitely do better than the Priv. In fact I'd bet the BB10 Passport did up to now.

Posted via CB10
    I completely agree, I even said so in a previous post, that the Rome would appeal to BlackBerry Loyalists.. The passport is quite unique and like you said it was praised a lot.. So it was definitely the kind of device that BlackBerry needed to shake things up.. It was different than anything out there.. I believe if the Passport came out in Android instead of the Priv, it could've achieved the sales required to keep the company afloat.. With a Keyboard or without.. It would've sold enough.
    06-26-16 01:29 PM
    I completely agree, I even said so in a previous post, that the Rome would appeal to BlackBerry Loyalists.. The passport is quite unique and like you said it was praised a lot.. So it was definitely the kind of device that BlackBerry needed to shake things up.. It was different than anything out there.. I believe if the Passport came out in Android instead of the Priv, it could've achieved the sales required to keep the company afloat.. With a Keyboard or without.. It would've sold enough.
    Sorry, didn't read closely enough. Some argue for a 4 row qwerty but I think the three row with virtual symbols should be maintained. It's an aesthetic decision that adds to the appeal imho. Keep it as much like the OG as possible. I definitely believe it would find a passionate, if small, userbase on Android that wouldn't look twice at the Rome, or similar.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 01:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's an interesting concept (passport with Android). I'm not sure they can afford to take the chance but it would be fun to see.
    Anyways, the Rome will tell us if this will work.
    06-26-16 02:26 PM
    You have set the bar very low. The Passport would have been too wide and now longer. It probably would have been priced too high and had the same software teething problems.

The Rome will use up what market there is for a PKB. The remainder may be too small for a Bold or a Passport. Regardless, a Bold, Passport or a Rome would outsell the PRIV. IMO.
    06-26-16 02:55 PM
    You have set the bar very low. The Passport would have been too wide and now longer. It probably would have been priced too high and had the same software teething problems.

The Rome will use up what market there is for a PKB. The remainder may be too small for a Bold or a Passport. Regardless, a Bold, Passport or a Rome would outsell the PRIV. IMO.
    Its just my take on it.. I've seen a lot of people who share the same opinion too, that BlackBerry should've used an Android Passport as the comeback device, I even read an article about it in a tech website, but regardless I respect your opinion.

I agree on the point that the Rome might outsell the Priv because of the Price.. But then again we never see numbers for the devices.. So we'll never know how much each one sold.
    06-26-16 03:28 PM
    It's an interesting concept (passport with Android). I'm not sure they can afford to take the chance but it would be fun to see.
    Anyways, the Rome will tell us if this will work.
    Yeah, I think it's smarter to try out the Rome first to try and appeal to as broad an audience as possible. But I love the form factor so I'm gonna ride my unicorn dream as long as possible for an Android Passport, lol.

For the Rome, hopefully they don't cheap out on anything (decent front camera, usb c, fingerprint sensor), make the keyboard really nice, price it decently, continue to build out the BlackBerry software experience, emphasise the touch capacitive pkb, and don't give it a stupid name.

If they do all that, and it doesn't do well, then no more pkbs, and maybe no morer handsets in general. But at least then we'll know for sure that it doesn't work and there'll be no "if only they priced it decently", if only it had a better selfie camera, etc...

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-26-16 03:47 PM

When I first got the Passport I thought, Holy Crap, this thing is huge, I might have made a mistake. Now I can breeze through just about everything one handed with ease thanks to muscle memory. Only thing that's a two hander is messaging anything more than a few words for a quick reply. Then again, I'm also a two hander for messaging on my iPhone 6, Nexus, Moto X and so are the majority of people.

To be one handed on my iPhone 6 I need to double tap the Home button to bring the top of the screen down halfway, and just try checking your Andoid notification bar without reaching... I can't even imagine on a Note - which comes with a stylus so obviously a two hander.

TLDR; Passport is not too wide as a device. Not everyone's cup of tea, but the size would be fine for many potential customers, imho.

Posted via CB10
    Sairos likes this.
    06-26-16 04:23 PM
    For the Rome, hopefully they don't cheap out on anything (decent front camera, usb c, fingerprint sensor), make the keyboard really nice, price it decently, continue to build out the BlackBerry software experience, emphasise the touch capacitive pkb, and don't give it a stupid name.

If they do all that, and it doesn't do well, then no more pkbs, and maybe no morer handsets in general. But at least then we'll know for sure that it doesn't work and there'll be no "if only they priced it decently", if only it had a better selfie camera, etc...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah we're starting to run out of excuses here haha.. First Its about the apps.. So only if they make an android device, then they make one.. and we say its the pricing, the marketing and all that..

The next two devices should have all what they need to sell, in order to finish this thing once and for all.. Right Price, Right Specs, Right OS (Apps Apps).. Right Marketing and finally: Two options, one with a keyboard and one without so it would appeal to everyone.. They must check all the boxes.. And after that if they didn't sell.. Then we're just doomed, cursed or whatever and hardware needs to be shutdown.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-26-16 04:37 PM
    And they have to check the quality build box. No screen lifting, battery overheating, double typing etc that make carriers run for cover.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-26-16 05:44 PM
    Yeah we're starting to run out of excuses here haha.. First Its about the apps.. So only if they make an android device, then they make one.. and we say its the pricing, the marketing and all that..

The next two devices should have all what they need to sell, in order to finish this thing once and for all.. Right Price, Right Specs, Right OS (Apps Apps).. Right Marketing and finally: Two options, one with a keyboard and one without so it would appeal to everyone.. They must check all the boxes.. And after that if they didn't sell.. Then we're just doomed, cursed or whatever and hardware needs to be shutdown.
    If they hit their marks, I'll probably pick one up just out of curiosity and to encourage them to make the Passport version, lol. I've said it before, there's a lot of things about BlackBerry I really like in addition to the things that just make me shake my head, lol.

Which probably describes most people on this forum.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-26-16 06:00 PM
    Isn't blackberry's vkb owned by swiftkey? If so, I don't see how they would be able to license it.
    Yes, it is swiftkey.

...and Microsoft bought swiftkey.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 09:26 PM
    Do PRIV owners see no value in the larger rectangular screen and the BlackBerry skin?

I would have them make an all touch, the Rome and a smaller iconic 9900 Q10 replacement.
    I am talking about brand image and the most appreciated and identifiable characteristics of the brand. It should be obvious that Blackberry has an iconic form factor that distinguishes it from their competitors and has a loyal following. They need to stick with it whether they intend to sell one million or one hundred million units. Yes, the Priv has a pkb and the slider format is part of this legacy...but in the end it is a compromise solution which is the reason both touchscreen and pkb fans alike find issues with it.

They should be concentrating on perfecting their iconic form factor (including internals) and ditch touchscreen only once and for all. Why they keep wasting precious resources on this form factor is beyond me. The Z10, Z30, and Leap were never good enough to compete and literally gave BlackBerry customers (and potential customers) justification to buy a competitor's device. The new proposed touchscreen, which is yet another middle of the road BlackBerry touchscreen is destined to be underwhelming, just like all its predecessors.

06-26-16 11:49 PM
    I am talking about brand image and the most appreciated and identifiable characteristics of the brand. It should be obvious that Blackberry has an iconic form factor that distinguishes it from their competitors and has a loyal following. They need to stick with it whether they intend to sell one million or one hundred million units. Yes, the Priv has a pkb and the slider format is part of this legacy...but in the end it is a compromise solution which is the reason both touchscreen and pkb fans alike find issues with it.

They should be concentrating on perfecting their iconic form factor (including internals) and ditch touchscreen only once and for all. Why they keep wasting precious resources on this form factor is beyond me. The Z10, Z30, and Leap were never good enough to compete and literally gave BlackBerry customers (and potential customers) justification to buy a competitor's device. The new proposed touchscreen, which is yet another middle of the road BlackBerry touchscreen is destined to be underwhelming, just like all its predecessors.

So I guess you see no value in the all touch Android portion of your Priv.

Obviously BlackBerry feels that they can make sell more units of the all touch and PKB phone than if they just sold a PKB phone.

If BlackBerry had updated the Z30 instead of offering the Passport, I think they would have sold more units. The PKB market is very small by comparison.

I would argue that BB10 works better on an all touch. You can not isolate the all touch BB10 units as failures. All BB10 devices have done poorly in the market place.
    Posted via CB10
    06-27-16 01:10 AM
68 123