I'm going to highlight a few important points said by John Chen in today's earnings call.

On The Two Mid-range Android Phones.:

Chen said he will reveal more details about them on July. This was his answer when asked about his plans regarding the phones:

"I'm not really prepared -- obviously I had one, I'm not really prepared to unveil that. I guess, I was thinking about doing that more in July timeframe. I have spoken about having two of them in between now and the end of this fiscal year, and they usually they both of them more in the mid range and mid to high, not going to be a high end phone. So that's all I prepared to discuss today."

Its worth mentioning that he said in a Bloomberg interview that the first one to be released will be the Full touch phone, also known as Hamburg.

On the Hardware:

When asked about his decision to stay in the hardware business, he said:

"As far as the hardware is concerned, a couple of reasons. Number, it's a customer reason. The customers, many customers especially in the government world, they're still relying on us to provide a secure handset for them. That's number one. Number two, I really, really believe that we could make money out of it of our device business"

"We are at the point that where our business are extremely efficient and we no longer really making any hardware. We are really a hardware design house. I do design, I don't really make hardware, I do design hardware and as I pointed out earlier and with the new manufacturing arrangement, that we made we don't really carry too much of the risk to our balance sheet. And then we just have to manage the bottom line from the expense side of the equation.

On the BB10 OS update:

"On to the BB10, our BB10.3.3 releases is undergoing the NAIP certification by a third party, which we expect to obtain by the end of this month. The software will then obviously be available shortly after that."

On Licensing Mobile Software/ BB Hub to other phone companies:

When asked about the possibility of licensing BlackBerry Hub to Samsung or Htc, he said:

"The hub are the way that we manage messaging, email, different email account system. So it's not a security-based thing. However, yes the answer to your question is yes, more than happy to license it to Samsung and HTC, but not the security side. The security side, our component mobile and software, and if they want to license it we haven't really crossed that bridge on whether we will or not. I think there is always a deal somewhere to be found. But we haven't really put that on the list."

When asked about the mobility services solutions business:

"The reason of us putting that unit together with device is so that I could start shifting some of our business focus on to software. And this is like licensing our hub. A lot of the good stuff that we do in devices like the BlackBerry Hub, some of our Antenna technology, power management technology and the software, the list goes on, those that I'm willing to license to other OEMs, phone manufacturers, device manufacturers, even equipment people, and so this is different from giving you a patent."

"It's like, you can use my hub and you might pay me a dollar a phone or whatever it might be or annual fee for using the hub, but you don't have the IP rights, to hub [ph] there or the underlying patent that supported the hub."

These were the important points he talked about, He also mentioned his commitment to BB10 and its developers and the fact that becoming profitable in the hardware segment by the end of the fiscal year (March/17) is a top priority. He also confirmed that he will exit the hardware if not profitable by then.
    enrod87 and anon(9353145) like this.
    06-23-16 09:45 PM
    So when in July will he chat about the new phones? Talking about it in July doesn't mean it will be released anytime soon.
    Read somewhere his timeline for phones is between now and end of the fiscal year. Lovely. That's a long time for existing customers to leave and the general public to forget about you even more.
    06-23-16 10:59 PM
    So when in July will he chat about the new phones? Talking about it in July doesn't mean it will be released anytime soon.
    Read somewhere his timeline for phones is between now and end of the fiscal year. Lovely. That's a long time for existing customers to leave and the general public to forget about you even more.
    The Hamburg will be released in the summer, while The Rome will be released later in winter before the end of the fiscal year (March/2017).

I'm not sure but I think he plans to unveil the Hamburg on July.. If that's the case you should expect it to be released soon after. We'll know more by then.
    06-23-16 11:07 PM
    Another delay for BB10, not that it matters anyway.
    06-24-16 03:26 AM
    I'd love to see Paratek antennas in more phones. IOS and Android hub? Why not? Anything that makes BB money is a good step forward.
    06-24-16 03:45 AM
    I'd love to see Paratek antennas in more phones. IOS and Android hub? Why not? Anything that makes BB money is a good step forward.
    I don't see iOS paying BlackBerry for a hub. I think they'd make their own. There's a part of me that thinks Apple's native mail client will get a huge update in iOS 11 next year as they push more towards enterprise, and this will include multiple communication channels....similar to what they're doing with voip now showing in contacts.
    If BlackBerry releases their vkb for iOS I'd have to seriously consider looking at iOS. I've got a iP6 for work and I hate the keyboard and mail client, so a BlackBerry vkb would improve my typing experience for my work device
    06-24-16 05:42 AM
    I don't see iOS paying BlackBerry for a hub. I think they'd make their own. There's a part of me that thinks Apple's native mail client will get a huge update in iOS 11 next year as they push more towards enterprise, and this will include multiple communication channels....similar to what they're doing with voip now showing in contacts.
    If BlackBerry releases their vkb for iOS I'd have to seriously consider looking at iOS. I've got a iP6 for work and I hate the keyboard and mail client, so a BlackBerry vkb would improve my typing experience for my work device
    Yes, please. Even Seacrest probably wouldn't object... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-24-16 06:11 AM
    I'm with you on hating the damn keyboard. It's the single worst thing about my ipad.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    06-24-16 08:25 AM
    Had kinda hoped that BlackBerry would move to release the HUB and other BlackBerry PRIV apps to Android users in general. But seems Chen wants the OEMs to license these products....

Have to wonder, what would be cheaper - license from BlackBerry or build your own? Samsung, HTC and Motorola could probably build their own - or improve their already unified inboxes. Now smaller Android OEMs don't have those resources...

And so now one of these phones is a Mid to High range phone.... wonder if that's based on specs or just what the retail price is going to be?

Would assume that the PKB device would be the higher priced of the two, due to the cost of a PKB, non standard screen size and the custom production. That would make the rumored Idol 4 branded device the less expensive of the two?

And if it is the Alcatel Idol 4.... Alcatel has pushed back the release to sometime in the 3rd quarter of this year - per GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more.... Was originally slated to hit markets in June (now). Chen might not know himself, when they can launch.
    06-24-16 08:47 AM
    And if it is the Alcatel Idol 4.... Alcatel has pushed back the release to sometime in the 3rd quarter of this year - per GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more.... Was originally slated to hit markets in June (now). Chen might not know himself, when they can launch.
    Probably why he won't talk about it until July.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-24-16 09:14 AM
    I don't see iOS paying BlackBerry for a hub. I think they'd make their own.
    That's the thing.. If they want a Hub they'll just copy it.. The Note 7 is rumored to have a Hub just like ours.. So here you go.. That's the way it works.
    06-24-16 11:15 AM
    I'm with you on hating the damn keyboard. It's the single worst thing about my ipad.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    Dude, you are SO right! I moved from a Playbook to an iPad only to get the larger screen, for viewing photos.
    Aside from not having expandable storage and the lousy keyboard, I have adapted well: bought a bluetooth keyboard and now my laptop is almost never used. Not an Apple fan, won't go near the phones, but the iPad works well.
    06-24-16 11:38 AM
    That's the thing.. If they want a Hub they'll just copy it.. The Note 7 is rumored to have a Hub just like ours.. So here you go.. That's the way it works.
    So far all that's rumoured about Samsung's Hub (Focus) is that it will aggregate emails, calendar, contacts and memo notes. But yeah, they have the resources to build it out further, though not sure if they can make it operate exactly like BlackBerry's?

Imho, BlackBerry needs to bring Blend to Android, to extend the functionality of the Hub. They could be a leader in Android in bringing a service like Apple's Continuity to the platform. Also Link support for easy local backups on Android, similar to iTunes. Adding that kind of functionality would make licensing more attractive to other OEMs (not necessarily Samsung).

Posted via CB10
    Sairos likes this.
    06-24-16 12:01 PM
    So far all that's rumoured about Samsung's Hub (Focus) is that it will aggregate emails, calendar, contacts and memo notes. But yeah, they have the resources to build it out further, though not sure if they can make it operate exactly like BlackBerry's?

Imho, BlackBerry needs to bring Blend to Android, to extend the functionality of the Hub. They could be a leader in Android in bringing a service like Apple's Continuity to the platform. Also Link support for easy local backups on Android, similar to iTunes. Adding that kind of functionality would make licensing more attractive to other OEMs (not necessarily Samsung).

Posted via CB10
    Yes, They'll never make it as good as BlackBerry's Hub.. Which is an advantage for Blackberry if they can market it around to companies.. I see it as a very smart move because people aren't buying our devices for such software. So it doesn't benefit us to hold it out from companies.

They've a lot of excellent software to license to OEMs, and it won't cost the OEMs much to pay for it.. Everyone now is more interested in outsourcing as it cuts their cost of developing it.. All of these are pros for Chen to work on..
    06-24-16 12:11 PM
    Had kinda hoped that BlackBerry would move to release the HUB and other BlackBerry PRIV apps to Android users in general. But seems Chen wants the OEMs to license these products....

Have to wonder, what would be cheaper - license from BlackBerry or build your own? Samsung, HTC and Motorola could probably build their own - or improve their already unified inboxes. Now smaller Android OEMs don't have those resources...

And so now one of these phones is a Mid to High range phone.... wonder if that's based on specs or just what the retail price is going to be?

Would assume that the PKB device would be the higher priced of the two, due to the cost of a PKB, non standard screen size and the custom production. That would make the rumored Idol 4 branded device the less expensive of the two?

Samsung already moved with their own version of the Hub.. I don't think it will cost them much to develop their own, but other companies might consider BlackBerry's because its pretty good and the fact that it belongs to BlackBerry assures the masses it will be excellent in terms of efficiency ..

Both the specs and pricing will be mid-range.. Pricing not to exceed $400 from what I've read.. Chen also said that number before in an interview.. I think the Specs will be something around 3GB RAM and a Snapdragon 615, which is apparently the mid-range these days considering whats being released.

Finally, yes the Rome will be the higher priced one, and the all-touch screen Hamburg will be the less priced device..
    06-24-16 01:12 PM
    Isn't blackberry's vkb owned by swiftkey? If so, I don't see how they would be able to license it.
    06-24-16 01:25 PM
    Samsung already moved with their own version of the Hub.. I don't think it will cost them much to develop their own, but they might consider BlackBerry's because its much superior and the fact that it belongs to BlackBerry assures it will be excellent in terms of efficiency ..

The specs and pricing will be mid-range.. Pricing not to exceed $400 from what I've read.. Chen also said that number before in an interview.. I think the Specs will be something around 3GB RAM and a Snapdragon 615, which is apparently the mid-range these days considering whats being released.

Finally, yes the Rome will be the higher priced one, and the Hamburg All touch screen will be the less priced device..
    I know HTC has a unified inbox too.... Might only appeal to smaller OEMs that can't afford the customization that larger OEMs bloat their devices with.

But in the Bloomberg interview (just watched after the earlier post)... Chen indicated the Rome would be the lesser of the two devices.

The Alcatel Idol 4 rumor still makes sense. It uses the 617 processor, which is newer than the 808 in the PRIV. But slower and with fewer cores and a scaled back GPU. Only thing is Alcatel will be selling it for around $400. With hardware security (if really isn't just software) and BlackBerry's overhead... I doubt you'll see it for less than $500. But then that all just based on rumors anyway.
    hec666 likes this.
    06-24-16 01:27 PM
    I know HTC has a unified inbox too.... Might only appeal to smaller OEMs that can't afford the customization that larger OEMs bloat their devices with.

But in the Bloomberg interview (just watched after the earlier post)... Chen indicated the Rome would be the lesser of the two devices.

The Alcatel Idol 4 rumor still makes sense. It uses the 617 processor, which is newer than the 808 in the PRIV. But slower and with fewer cores and a scaled back GPU. Only thing is Alcatel will be selling it for around $400. With hardware security (if really isn't just software) and BlackBerry's overhead... I doubt you'll see it for less than $500. But then that all just based on rumors anyway.
    Yes smaller OEMs might find it better.. Big Ones will probably go and develop their own.. If Chen has pitched the idea of licensing it a bit earlier.. They might have considered it instead of going for one.. Interesting thing to mention, HTC is doing an app for their Sense UI.. A Launcher app.. So its like what you've been talking about, Launching some of the software (Like the Hub) as apps .. However I can't tell what will be a better idea in terms of money, Apps or licensing.. also having it like an app won't be as good as having the hub developed from basics to work flawlessly with the software.

Yes the Rome might be lesser in terms of specs but not in terms of Pricing because of the PKB.

I take the Alcatel idol 4 rumor with a pinch of salt because I've not heard anything about it.. We're so close to unveiling.. If that rumor was true, then BlackBerry is doing a hell of a great job in keeping it under the radar..

Now pricing-wise for the two devices.. I heard something about $300/$350 to $400.. Maybe the Rome goes for $400, and the Hamburg for $350 or a little less?.. I don't see them exceeding $400 because he mentioned that number before.. But the whole mid-range to high range leaves a room for speculation.
    06-24-16 01:39 PM
    Isn't blackberry's vkb owned by swiftkey? If so, I don't see how they would be able to license it.
    It is definitely licensed from Swiftkey on BB10, not sure about Priv. The appearance, swipe up on letters and predictions are pure BlackBerry modifications though I believe.

Posted via CB10
    redbirdsfan likes this.
    06-24-16 02:07 PM
    Nobody is going to license the hub - the sales advantage it has provided is... zero.
    JeepBB and redbirdsfan like this.
    06-25-16 02:18 PM
    Nobody is going to license the hub - the sales advantage it has provided is... zero.
    That's Because BlackBerry sucks when it comes to selling things, Not because the Hub is bad.. If that Hub was owned by any other company, People would've been drooling all over it..

Hub or no Hub we've no apps, so we kinda have a sales disadvantage xD, Leaving everything good we've to be useless and underrated in the eyes of the masses.
    06-25-16 03:02 PM
    It is definitely licensed from Swiftkey on BB10, not sure about Priv. The appearance, swipe up on letters and predictions are pure BlackBerry modifications though I believe.

Posted via CB10
    The prediction engine is Swiftkey's. The swipe up and appearance are Blackberry's modifications.
    06-25-16 04:34 PM
    The prediction engine is Swiftkey's. The swipe up and appearance are Blackberry's modifications.
    Huh, thanks. I find SwiftKey on Android to be less accurate, weird. It doesn�t seem to learn as well.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 06:33 PM
    Huh, thanks. I find SwiftKey on Android to be less accurate, weird. It doesn’t seem to learn as well.

Posted via CB10
    Do they slow down things a little? When popping up.. Also Occasional freezing here and there?..
    06-25-16 06:36 PM
    Do they slow down things a little? When popping up.. Also Occasional freezing here and there?..
    I actually jumped over to using Google keyboard a while ago. I'm curious now, I'll switch back to Swiftkey and see if I can configure it as closely as possible as to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 06:53 PM
68 123