I think it's so funny when you have individuals claiming that nothing will work without a data plan ... ha ha ha ... you were convinced very well by sales staff

If you spend your work day in a WiFi environment, then everything, besides Blackberry Messenger will work over WiFi, check my signature for a list of WiFi apps that work without a Data Plan.

Enjoy your blackberry with or without a data plan
    08-02-09 03:15 PM
    Repeat.. watch your settings so you aren't getting data charges if you use an app while not realizing you are out of WIFI and are on Edge.
    08-02-09 03:31 PM
    The op just ask a simple question, stfu to all you smart asses....who wants to pay 25-30$ for crappy edge speeds. I'm also interested in finding apps that work w/o data plan, thanks for the post.
    Last edited by evorc; 08-02-09 at 03:38 PM.
    08-02-09 03:32 PM
    I think it's so funny when you have individuals claiming that nothing will work without a data plan ... ha ha ha ... you were convinced very well by sales staff

If you spend your work day in a WiFi environment, then everything, besides Blackberry Messenger will work over WiFi, check my signature for a list of WiFi apps that work without a Data Plan.

thanks for the link sonni! do you know any free pushmail app that works on wifi or gprs? and a free messenger app cause palringo sucks
    08-03-09 01:26 AM

when we say nothing will work, we mean nothing that the blackberry is meant to do, aka push email, BBM, PIN messaging etc... If you are on wifi then yes you can get apps and check email and such, but you have to be connected to WiFi all the time. if you step out of that wifi range its game over for those...

to the OP, you dont have to worry about getting charged for data while using the cell towers, if you dont have a data plan you cant access the internet anyways, or use any data... your signal will remain in either gprs or edge or GSM... when you get a data plan it will turn to GPRS or EDGE, when it is capitalized like that, that means you are connected to the RIM servers and have data access...

anyways to no confused you any more, apps and such will only work if you are constantly connected to wifi, and dont count on all apps working on wifi, as most dont
    08-03-09 08:13 AM
    when we say nothing will work, we mean nothing that the blackberry is meant to do, aka push email,
    You do realize that for most end-users there is no difference between PUSH and PULL email, right ??? They get their email on their Blackberry and they get a little buzz/ring/LED flash, with the exception, that with PULL email, it will come 1 minute later, I think the vast majority of users can accept this 59 second delay

to the OP, you dont have to worry about getting charged for data while using the cell towers, if you dont have a data plan you cant access the internet anyways, or use any data... your signal will remain in either gprs or edge or GSM...
    Actually, that is not the case. Even without a blackberry data plan, you can still access the mobile internet with a blackberry, just like you could with any GSM phone that can connect to the gprs/edge network. You simply cannot communicate with the RIM servers.

If you are on wifi then yes you can get apps and check email and such, but you have to be connected to WiFi all the time. if you step out of that wifi range its game over for those...
    Even without a data plan, if you have a blackberry with a Rogers account, the WiFi compliant programs that I provided can still access the mobile internet through a gprs/edge connection (note, they do not have to be capitalized on your home screen). So, if you do happen, to step outside the WiFi area, you can still check your email through the gprs/edge network, and incur a small data charge (less than a dollar), versus paying thirty.

Once again, this is not the solution for users who are frequently on the road. However, if you live downtown, and are enveloped by WiFi 24/7, then it's a great way to modify the Blackberry so that it can do everything that a regular blackberry can do with a data plan, except for BBM. I am not trying to convince everyone to dump their data plans, but I do want to provide clarity for an increasing number of users who have acquired Blackberry phones for use without a data plan.
    08-03-09 08:59 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD