Having used Google's Android for a few months I now know why Android devices NEED so many CPUs and gigs of RAM to perform acceptably. It is an absolute hog of an OS ... it harks back to the worst days of MS Windows in terms of lack of stability and poor resource utilization.

One word for it: garbage!
    Loc22, wilber1 and moosbb like this.
    09-10-16 03:10 PM
    Having used Google's Android for a few months I now know why Android devices NEED so many CPUs and gigs of RAM to perform acceptably. It is an absolute hog of an OS ... it harks back to the worst days of MS Windows in terms of lack of stability and poor resource utilization.

Because more is better, whether it's required or not. Passport was beefed up to a quad core with 3GB RAM for the same reason.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-10-16 04:01 PM

Out of interest, what device are you using?
    09-10-16 04:20 PM
    Because more is better, whether it's required or not. Passport was beefed up to a quad core with 3GB RAM for the same reason.
    Ones of the reasons I'm thinking what if BlackBerry talk to Alcatel and come up with another device but half of it runs on BlackBerry Android & the other half on BlackBerry 10. I'm thinking Android apps would run fine on these BlackBerry 10 devices as it has sufficient hardware to run them. The reason I think we have problems with Android apps is due to the lower capacity hardware than required on these BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-10-16 04:32 PM
    I'm on an iPhone 6+ currently for necessary work related apps (using the plus because it has the least horrendous battery life). I can tell you right now that a lot of my time is wasted going in and out of all the communications apps (email and messaging). The home button definitely gets a work out. Missing the hub.
    09-10-16 04:58 PM
    Please stay on topic!
    RumoredNow and jope28 like this.
    09-10-16 04:59 PM
    New versions of Windows since Windows 7 was released work just as well, if not better, on older hardware as Windows 7 did. Android is clearly not at that stage of maturity and development. It's just a resource hog ...
    09-10-16 05:25 PM
    New versions of Windows since Windows 7 was released work just as well, if not better, on older hardware as Windows 7 did. Android is clearly not at that stage of maturity and development. It's just a resource hog ...
    Windows isn't relevant in this comparison, completely different operating system with different requirements. As far as Android goes, as long as it's quick and fluid and still has an unused portion there shouldn't be an issue. If the device being used doesn't have enough RAM to run everything being asked, it's time to either get a new device or decide what apps need to go. The Android System plus OS takes up about 800MB. Sure, BB10 takes up less space, nobody would dispute this. But unused space doesn't do anything but look pretty on a graph.
    09-10-16 06:13 PM
    I am comfortable and used to iOS, Android (K,L and M), BBOS and BB10. I think I can get the best (for me) out of all of them.

If you offered me unlimited data, apps and any phone ever made to be used as my daily driver for the next year, it would be either the BlackBerry Classic or the Z10.

The combination of OS and form factor are the reason for my preference. The Z30 and Passport are too big for me, or I would much prefer one of those.

At some point, BB10 will no longer meet my needs, but for now, I still reach for my Z10 for everything, even when my iPad, Android tablet, and now DTEK50 are in my bag.

I don't use any workarounds to load Android apps. I don't even use the Amazon store. Are there any apps I wish I had on my Z10 that I don't? Not one.

Like I said, at some point I'll find myself reaching for another device. I already bought the DTEK50, so it will be a very organic transition. But if I had to pick one phone for the next 12 months, it would still be the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-16 06:33 PM
    The reason I think we have problems with Android apps is due to the lower capacity hardware than required on these BlackBerry 10 devices.

We have problems because BB10 is not permitted to use Google Play Services, or update the Android Runtime beyond Jellybean - both as a result of OHA regs.
    09-10-16 06:52 PM
    Ones of the reasons I'm thinking what if BlackBerry talk to Alcatel and come up with another device but half of it runs on BlackBerry Android & the other half on BlackBerry 10.
    For the millionth time, BB10 does not have drivers for any SoCs other than the S4 and 801, nor will they ever pay to have them produced - the cost per new user would be prohibitive.
    09-10-16 06:54 PM
    For the millionth time, BB10 does not have drivers for any SoCs other than the S4 and 801, nor will they ever pay to have them produced - the cost per new user would be prohibitive.
    People don't want to be bothered with details like this. They want to believe that it's easy to make the strategic and implementation decisions that are the real work of running a technology company. They want to believe that executives have dictatorial powers and magic wands.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-16 07:57 PM
    People don't want to be bothered with details like this. They want to believe that it's easy to make the strategic and implementation decisions that are the real work of running a technology company. They want to believe that executives have dictatorial powers and magic wands.

Posted via CB10
    And they ride unicorns

09-10-16 08:37 PM

BB10 must also be an unoptimized resource hog as well. Wasn't that the reason it was never released for Playbook?

Posted via Nexus 6p
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    09-10-16 11:49 PM
    BB10 must also be an unoptimized resource hog as well. Wasn't that the reason it was never released for Playbook?

Posted via Nexus 6p
    It is
    But some people like to ignore the fact that Android is able to run on less resources than BB10
    It's a behaviour unique to these forums
    09-11-16 09:29 PM
    It is
    But some people like to ignore the fact that Android is able to run on less resources than BB10
    It's a behaviour unique to these forums
    Yep fact at first release of Z3 with 1.5gb ram it can only open 4 active frame
    darkehawke likes this.
    09-11-16 09:36 PM

Posted via Nexus 6p

BB10 in 2013 was indeed a PoS ... but as of 10.3.2 it is just the smoothest, most fluid and pleasing mobile OS out there. Android as of 6.0.1 is nowhere near as good.

And it has the advantage of letting you actually CLOSE programs rather than 'terminate and stay resident' crap that harks back to the 1980s!
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-12-16 05:32 AM
    For work i have to move to an Android cheap device and after one week i miss my Z10 a lot:

- The HUB
    -The Keyboard
    -The notification System, incredible how limited is the notification System in Android, at least in my new Android phone can't costumize App by App like in BB10.

Anyway, the only reasons that Android Win is because the Apps, nothing else, Android can't compete with BB10 in nothing else.

Posted via CB10
    This is so true. I really miss my Z30. But the DTek50 has apps and light weight.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on DTek50
    09-12-16 05:47 AM
    Depends on the business.
    Exactly. I need those social media apps to work and give me instant notifications to communicate with my new clients and prospective ones wanting to learn more

Posted via my old faithful Z10
    09-12-16 06:06 AM
    BB10 in 2013 was indeed a PoS ... but as of 10.3.2 it is just the smoothest, most fluid and pleasing mobile OS out there. Android as of 6.0.1 is nowhere near as good.

And it has the advantage of letting you actually CLOSE programs rather than 'terminate and stay resident' crap that harks back to the 1980s!
    Except that you absolutely CAN close programs in Android. But also that closing programs is much LESS efficient than leaving them loaded in memory. Mobile devices have different constraints than desktops do, and this change was made to accommodate them.

Task killers and memory cleaners can actually do more harm than good and you should stop using them

This article, while talking about automated task killing, applies equally to manual task killing, and explains why it's not only unnecessary, but harmful, to do so on Android (or iOS, for that matter).
    CDM76, TgeekB and eshropshire like this.
    09-12-16 10:13 AM
    Except that you absolutely CAN close programs in Android. But also that closing programs is much LESS efficient than leaving them loaded in memory. Mobile devices have different constraints than desktops do, and this change was made to accommodate them.

Task killers and memory cleaners can actually do more harm than good and you should stop using them

This article, while talking about automated task killing, applies equally to manual task killing, and explains why it's not only unnecessary, but harmful, to do so on Android (or iOS, for that matter).

stopping processes, which will immediately boot up again, because that's their jo

And therein lies the problem. If I don't want it running, it shouldn't be trying to immediately boot up again until I open the program again.

I don't care what paradigm is optimal by Android standards, because Android isn't an optimal OS. A Windows 10 tablet on the same hardware performs a lot better (for me) and that indeed is what I will switch to.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-12-16 10:23 AM
    stopping processes, which will immediately boot up again, because that's their jo

And therein lies the problem. If I don't want it running, it shouldn't be trying to immediately boot up again until I open the program again.

I don't care what paradigm is optimal by Android standards, because Android isn't an optimal OS. A Windows 10 tablet on the same hardware performs a lot better (for me) and that indeed is what I will switch to.
    The point is that it doesn't use resources. What is your actual concern about whether or not some service exists in the background lying dormant?
    09-12-16 10:48 AM
    The point is that it doesn't use resources. What is your actual concern about whether or not some service exists in the background lying dormant?
    If you must ask the answers won't help.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-12-16 11:24 AM
    If you must ask the answers won't help.

Posted via CB10
    The point is that the OS is managing the apps that YOU choose to install on the device in the most efficient, resource-friendly, and convenient way possible.
    TgeekB and DreadPirateRegan like this.
    09-12-16 12:10 PM
    It really isn't about "Android" then,... but the Google Play Store and it's apps, regardless of what system it runs on... :-)

edit:
    From this point of view, AOSP Android is basically worthless, it's in essence no better than BB10, but the "open source" argument kinda gives Google a free pass...

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    Exactly. Manufacturers are free to put android on anything but as Amazon found out, No Play ecosystem = no sales.
    09-12-16 01:27 PM
363 ... 7891011 ...