About the notification, I am able to customize the LED light color on per app basis on CM13 OS.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-09-16 01:29 AM
    Dear friend,

I am also not switching to any android phone because following features that BB10 devices offers.
    1.RGB led indicator
    2.Blackberry Hub
    3.Blackberry On screen notifications.
    5. App manager
    6Blackberry BLend
    7.Blackberry Keyboard. and lot more.......

So why do you keep starting new threads for us to give you reasons to buy Dtek? Were you just wasting our time?

Posted via CB10
    09-09-16 07:18 AM
    For you, yes, i agree. Android "flows" for a lot of people also. Remember, BB10 lacks many apps and things that make flow, for some people, impossible. Thus Blackberry's move to Android.
    I do feel bad for people like yourself who found a system that meets their needs so well and find it fading away. It could have been so much more. Hopefully they will support it long enough that you will eventually find something else that works just as well. Technology is always changing and we never know what's around the corner.
    Yes, I'm hoping BB10 hangs on for a while. That said, I bought the DTEK50 specifically to try and plan ahead. It is a pretty nice little device, for the cost, and the Blackberry add ons are ok, but in my opinion need additional development.''

KAM
    09-09-16 08:23 AM
    Yes, I'm hoping BB10 hangs on for a while. That said, I bought the DTEK50 specifically to try and plan ahead. It is a pretty nice little device, for the cost, and the Blackberry add ons are ok, but in my opinion need additional development.''

KAM
    From what people have been saying it sounds pretty nice. I'm sure they are developing it further and making it a very Blackberry - type experience with the add ons.
    09-09-16 08:26 AM
    And for you, that may be very true. I find iOS just horrible to deal with, since you can only do things the way Apple LETS you do it. Android is like desktop Linux, do things your way. I am very sparing on apps, I find the ones that work for me, such as FX file explorer, Poweramp, etc and stick with them. I tend to not use my phone for games, or entertainment since I have tablets for that. It is all a matter of getting used to a different workflow. I am working on learning Mint Linux 18 on my laptop, from which I totally removed Windows. Now Linux and Windows (or Mac OS) are completely different animals, so it is a matter of getting used to what is, not what I want it to be.
    I really don't like iOS personally, but I understand that for someone who wants a very simplistic experience, it works.
    Android Customization THEORETICALLY appeals to me, but I think it's more of a mess than I'm prepared to deal with. For example--very simple example...the Twitter Widget that comes on the DTEK50 (Brand new) says it isn't supported...so, it is a bit TOO wild west for me I think. I'm sure that SOMEONE can make it sing pretty nicely, but not me--at least not at this time. If I was a kid again, and had less on my plate, I'd probably really enjoy digging into that more.

So, BB10 provides me something out of the box that is very close to what I like. It is very close to "Everything I want, and nothing I don't want."

KAM
    09-09-16 08:30 AM
    Dear friend,

I am also not switching to any android phone because following features that BB10 devices offers.
    1.RGB led indicator
    2.Blackberry Hub
    3.Blackberry On screen notifications.
    5. App manager
    6Blackberry BLend
    7.Blackberry Keyboard. and lot more.......

My Samsung replaced a Z10 and I found a replacement app for most everything you stated
    My led changes color per notification type (color and blink rate)
    Hub replaced with Hub+
    On screen notifications can be more interactive, I actually reduced the notifications because you can have some things bypass the lock screen
    The app management is there, just different and not as logical as BlackBerry
    And Blend, I do miss it but it has now gotten to eol anyway

09-09-16 08:31 AM
    From what people have been saying it sounds pretty nice. I'm sure they are developing it further and making it a very Blackberry - type experience with the add ons.
    I do not regret buying it, even if I can't bring myself to switch completely from my Passport SE. The battery life has been pretty poor, but it was encouraging ENOUGH to make me interested. I haven't used the PRIV, but it sounds like they've already improved the experience a bit from that, so I'm hoping things continue on that trajectory.

When they first announced the PRIV, it sounded like you were going to get that BB10-type experience, and that didn't seem to turn out well, but if they're dedicated to keep working on that, then I will go along for the ride (mostly because I have no better choice--for me). I really like the whole Blackberry Hub+ concept and hope non-Blackberry users take a look at it.

I would love to see Blackberry back on top--being THE gold standard for how best to communicate, even if it is just via software.

KAM
    TgeekB and BlackBerryPassport like this.
    09-09-16 08:36 AM
    I find it strange that people try to hold on to their old way when making these switches. I'm convinced that regardless of which system I choose, I can set the device up to work for me, but I just forget the old to facilitate this. I mean I literally forget it. I did so when moving from Legacy to BB10 and I did the same when moving to the Priv. Trying to operate both my Classic and Priv would just lengthen this process.
    There's lots on the Priv I prefer over BB10. For eg. I find the HUB is a lot quicker when doing a search for instance. Love the productivity tab.
    Just embrace and tune it to your needs. I can be. They all can be.
    RumoredNow, TgeekB and TGR1 like this.
    09-09-16 09:51 AM
    What you say about having to live with the device you use is true, It makes me ask why? Or more specifically, why in today's world with massive amounts of money being spent on mobile devices, do we have so few choices. We have no WebOS option, and perhaps no BB10 and Windows Phone options in the not-too-distant future.

So, while it is true that ALL the systems have their strengths and weaknesses, it seems like we're getting LESS options to choose what we like, rather than more, and that's going backwards in my view.

The fact that none of these systems IS providing everything that we want means that there's a lack of innovation or capability in all of them. So, we as consumers are settling for inferior products, forced to make a choice between which shortcoming we can live most easily with. That's a pretty sad statement about technology, and the ability for good technology to thrive.
    I couldn't agree more that the status quo of having the Android/iOS duopoly needs to change. Media pundits that accept it and perpetuate it are being short sighted to say the least. The notion that Android and iOS are all we need and all we'll ever have is patently fallacious when viewed through the lens of history. Yet it persists in media and consumer consciousness.

So the answer to "why work with what you have in hand" is that it shows cognizance of a personal situation in current real time and conditions. It doesn't preclude change. It waits for it and prepares by exercising flexibility and showing an aptitude and willingness for adaptation. I could break out an HP Veer and run it until it dies while still filling my basic need for comm, but it would not be anything other than nostalgia. I could get another Nexus and port in Sailfish and rock on with that, and again fill basic needs. Or I can work with a UI that thrills me less, but performs more tasks for me in my current situation and still explore alternates and await new developments.

What? I don't have to do anything that I don't want to do lol. I'll choose the products that suit me and my way of working, but thanks anyway.
    Bully for you in the personal sense of this comment being directed at ohaiguise. Stay tough. Of course you don't have to do what you don't want to and I certainly never said you, ohaiguise, had to.

My previous post was recognizably editorial and referred to the generic you in that it was addressed to the wider audience called readership. And you (ohaiguise) knew that. There is no reason to take it personally or try to make it so. Again, as I spelled out clearly, your thought diverged from helping the OP and used a quote from me to do so. I was putting my original statement back into proper context.

WOW...

What is your fave OS since you been with so many? If it's BB10, second fave? Was Danger as in the sidekicks rims os with no name? I had all the sidekicks back then and loved them things! I was led to them with a discount when they shut down AOL pager powered by RIM! I remember the name Danger!..
    None have been perfect. webOS and Sailfish stand out as wonderfully gesture driven Interfaces. I like the surfacing of information and activities that Windows Phone and now W10M offer.

I've not tried BlackBerry OS. I think I missed the boat on that. I should have gotten one a couple years ago rather than the iOS device I tried. I'm sure I would have liked it better.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 09-09-16 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typo monkey
    09-09-16 10:56 AM
    I couldn't agree more that the status quo of having the Android/iOS duopoly needs to change. Media pundits that accept it and perpetuate it are being short sighted to say the least. The notion that Android and iOS are all we need and all we'll ever have is patently fallacious when viewd through the lens of history. Yet it persists in media and consumer consciousness.
    We've lived with either Windows or Mac (or some fringe Linux distributions) on the desktop for 30 years and somehow we've survived. Why is mobile any different?

Essentially, you have to convince 100,000 or so individual companies and developers that, not only is some theoretical new platform BETTER (meaning: they can do things on the new platform that are so amazing that it will draw users away from the established OSs- and that those new things won't be rolling out to the existing platform within the next quarter) and you must prove to them that your new platform will have enough users that are willing to pay for those new apps and services that the developer will be able to make money.

The reason BB10 failed - and why Sailfish, Tizen, WinPhone, Ubuntu Phone, and others get so little support - is because, as nice as the OSs might be, there is nothing (or nothing important/groundbreaking) that they can do with their apps/services on those platforms that they can't do on Android or iOS. Without some amazing new capability, developers have no reason to learn, invest in, and develop for the new platform. Without developers, no platform can survive. Even WinPhone, backed by a company worth well over a hundred billion dollars, can't make the platform viable because developers have no real motivation to support it - and the only REAL motivation is: lots of users willing to pay for that developer's app.

If "choice" was so important, we'd have a dozen desktop apps to choose from - but we don't, because the "infrastructure" (the app ecosystem in this case) to support those platforms is too expensive to replicate and maintain more than a couple of times. It's the same reason why you don't have a dozen different power companies to choose as your home electricity provider - the cost of running 12 sets of transmission lines into your neighborhood would be cost-prohibitive, and either bankrupt most of those companies or cause all of them to RAISE prices.
    RumoredNow, Sairos, TgeekB and 2 others like this.
    09-09-16 11:56 AM
    The EU. Russia, South Korea including the US have all initiated and in some cases won millions in Antitrust fines. Android being open license does NOT entitle Google to FORCE manufacturers into installing all things Google. I suggest that those who post in favour of a duopoly think about what's really happening with Google and understand the abuses they perpetuate. By extension Developers have also aided and abetted their abuses. The withholding of certain apps exclusively in the GP store which is "proprietary " will be crucial in determining whether or not they have acted with high handedness given their dominance / balance sheets.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...google-upheld/

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN10N08N

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/20...antitrust.html

Posted via CB10
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-09-16 02:05 PM
    The EU. Russia, South Korea including the US have all initiated and in some cases won millions in Antitrust fines. Android being open license does NOT entitle Google to FORCE manufacturers into installing all things Google. I suggest that those who post in favour of a duopoly think about what's really happening with Google and understand the abuses they perpetuate. By extension Developers have also aided and abetted their abuses. The withholding of certain apps exclusively in the GP store which is "proprietary " will be crucial in determining whether or not they have acted with high handedness given their dominance / balance sheets.

Russian Officials Fine Google $6.8 Million Over Antitrust Case | Digital Trends

South Korea says investigating whether Google broke antitrust laws | Reuters

Google?s Antitrust Woes in Europe Are Likely to Grow - NYTimes.com

Posted via CB10
    Android (AOSP) is open source and people can tailor it to their liking. The Google Play Store belongs to Google and if people want to include it there are stipulations. That's not antitrust. Thats business. You want to read the Wall Street Journal? They require a subscription. You want to live in this neighborhood? You follow the homeowners association rules. BlackBerry figured it out and no longer has to use Amazon's app store. Those lawsuits are just demanding a free lunch.
    Tsepz_GP, TgeekB, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    09-09-16 02:20 PM
    Android (AOSP) is open source and people can tailor it to their liking. The Google Play Store belongs to Google and if people want to include it there are stipulations. That's not antitrust. Thats business. You want to read the Wall Street Journal? They require a subscription. You want to live in this neighborhood? You follow the homeowners association rules. BlackBerry figured it out and no longer has to use Amazon's app store. Those lawsuits are just demanding a free lunch.
    I'm afraid many jurisdictions say otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    RumoredNow and skstrials like this.
    09-09-16 02:26 PM
    If you have Solid Explorer installed, try using Share (or Export) from whichever app you're using, and from the menu select "Save to" (it will have a Solid Explorer icon). Then follow the prompts to save your file(s) where you like. Solid also has the ability to search and it can go quite deep, as long as you know even part of the file/folder name it should find anything.
    I have solid Explorer installed but dunno how to configure it. So it's still sitting there at the moment.

09-10-16 12:02 AM
    I'm afraid many jurisdictions say otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    They dont yet.
    Nothing has been concluded.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    09-10-16 01:01 AM
    Its nice to see BlackBerry fans spinning the whole BB10 issue from a such a serious angle. Duopoly, evil and all, making it look like something bad for the tech & mobile business.

Just say you're sad for your fav OS, nothing wrong with that xD.
    09-10-16 03:57 AM
    If that were true, BB10 would have succeeded. It did not have what people wanted OOTB so it failed.
    Don't forget marketing... :-D

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    09-10-16 04:26 AM
    Duopoly never can be good. There are no choices in such situations: you stuck in one option because you don't like another, not because that one you supposedly choose is best for you. I really think duopoly in tech world is not good. OK, we have it for 30 years in desktop and survived... what kind of argument is this? OK survived but missed a ton of opportunities in the process. Desktops could be absurdly better today if we had more than Windows and Mac on the past. Now Microsoft began to show me ads on my blocked windows, which I really don't accept. So what now? Mac which costs my monthly payment? Linux without a compatible Office with lots of documents I use and produce? Is the same with smartphones. That situation dumbs the market, rip out our really free choices and, so, I think can't be good at all.

Will it change in the feasible future? Well, it won't. But this fact don't make this situation a good and desirable thing.

My two cents.

Cheers,
    RumoredNow and miki5 like this.
    09-10-16 05:44 AM
    Duopoly never can be good. There are no choices in such situations: you stuck in one option because you don't like another, not because that one you supposedly choose is best for you. I really think duopoly in tech world is not good. OK, we have it for 30 years in desktop and survived... what kind of argument is this? OK survived but missed a ton of opportunities in the process. Desktops could be absurdly better today if we had more than Windows and Mac on the past. Now Microsoft began to show me ads on my blocked windows, which I really don't accept. So what now? Mac which costs my monthly payment? Linux without a compatible Office with lots of documents I use and produce? Is the same with smartphones. That situation dumbs the market, rip out our really free choices and, so, I think can't be good at all.

Will it change in the feasible future? Well, it won't. But this fact don't make this situation a good and desirable thing.

My two cents.

Cheers,
    Let's just have a monopoly then

09-10-16 07:07 AM
    Let's just have a monopoly then

It would be not so different, after all.

Cheers,
    09-10-16 09:14 AM
    It really isn't about "Android" then,... but the Google Play Store and it's apps, regardless of what system it runs on... :-)

edit:
    From this point of view, AOSP Android is basically worthless, it's in essence no better than BB10, but the "open source" argument kinda gives Google a free pass...

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    09-10-16 10:50 AM
    Have been using my Priv for a couple of months now, and it took some getting used to for me to get comfortable with it. Came from a Q10, and enjoyed the simplicity of the BB10 interface.

My Priv has unexpectedly reset or shut down a few times, and still not sure why, but the battery life is actually longer for me than it was for my Q10, the screen is much more readable, and I can do a long more on it than could on my Q10

Still may get a Classic off eBay for purposes of switching from time to time

... which leads me to a question: Do the Priv and Classic both use the same kind of sim card, or are they different sizes?
    09-10-16 11:04 AM
    ... which leads me to a question: Do the Priv and Classic both use the same kind of sim card, or are they different sizes?
    Both take a nanoSIM: BlackBerry Priv vs. BlackBerry Classic - GSMArena.com
    jegs2 likes this.
    09-10-16 11:20 AM
    I find it strange that people try to hold on to their old way when making these switches. I'm convinced that regardless of which system I choose, I can set the device up to work for me, but I just forget the old to facilitate this. I mean I literally forget it. I did so when moving from Legacy to BB10 and I did the same when moving to the Priv. Trying to operate both my Classic and Priv would just lengthen this process.
    There's lots on the Priv I prefer over BB10. For eg. I find the HUB is a lot quicker when doing a search for instance. Love the productivity tab.
    Just embrace and tune it to your needs. I can be. They all can be.
    Adaptability
    09-10-16 11:31 AM
    I really think duopoly in tech world is not good. OK, we have it for 30 years in desktop and survived... what kind of argument is this? OK survived but missed a ton of opportunities in the process. Desktops could be absurdly better today if we had more than Windows and Mac on the past.
    If some company came up with something that was "absurdly better" for the desktop, they'd have no trouble getting VC funding and developing their ideas, and they'd be able to disrupt Windows and MacOS on the desktop exactly the way Apple and Google disrupted Symbian, BBOS, Win Mobile, WebOS, and others in mobile. Remember, it wasn't THAT long ago that Apple and Google were the newbies with tiny marketshare and questionable futures and BBOS, WinMo, and Symbian were the established giants.

No one is preventing someone else from making something that's hugely better - but it needs to be hugely better to developers. BB10 was definitely not hugely better than iOS or Android for developers, for a number of reasons - some of them being directly under the control of BB. You can whine about antitrust all you like, but the truth is that won't matter. Remember the huge anti-trust stuff against Microsoft bundling a web browser? It's 20 years later, and they're still bundling a web browser, except in Europe, you get a couple of alternative choices presented to you at installation/first boot-up. Nothing else changed.

Sure, Google may have to make some small tweaks for a few countries, but if you really think something huge is going to change, you're delusional. Most of what you are complaining about is simply business in the free market. Can anyone here defend BB's business decisions over the last 10 years, and tell us how they did everything right and were crushed by the market anyway, because of some cabal aligned against them? LOL. Not hardly.
    09-10-16 11:40 AM
363 ... 678910 ...