It is all about the app ecosystem. Android and IOS have them, BB 10 does not. Kids want apps. Heck my daughters classes in high school required her to d/l two apps for her phone for classes! Plus they make them use Google Docs and Google drive to store them on. It is all about the apps...or lack thereof.
    My daughter's school uses chrome books and the suite of Google's products as well. She now owns her own chrome book....even though the best buy guy wanted to steer her towards the Mac Book Air.
    Geez people. It's electronic appliances. It ain't life and death.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-06-16 08:04 AM
    DITTO. !!!!! "For me"

Posted via CB10
    LOL! Touche'
    09-06-16 11:22 AM
    Well I've been using Android for 3 months now and I still don't know how to do the following :

1. How can I ensure that all the media that is sent to me via WhatsApp is saved on my SD Card instead of the phone just like my BlackBerry 10

2. How to be able to save a file after signing it using Adobe Acrobat Reader into my SD card.

3. After completing some forms on Adobe Acrobat Reader how to save the file in a name I prefer so that I know what & where it is.

4. After working on a word, excel or pdf file to be able to save it on to my Dropbox, Box or my computer directly without having to save it on the phone first & then transfer it there.

5. How to share more than 1 picture that is sent to me via WhatsApp to an email without first having to download it and then go to the WhatsApp folder to look for them select one share to an email and then go back to add another picture then add the instruction to my colleague then send. In BlackBerry 10 I just select multiple pictures without downloading them first tap share and choose email.

6. How to access files that are stored on my computer that is either at home or in my office while I'm outside at a clients office.

7. Find the music that I have downloaded on to the SD card and play them.

These are some of the challenges I am facing daily on my S7 Edge at the moment.

09-06-16 12:22 PM
    It is all about the app ecosystem. Android and IOS have them, BB 10 does not. Kids want apps. Heck my daughters classes in high school required her to d/l two apps for her phone for classes! Plus they make them use Google Docs and Google drive to store them on. It is all about the apps...or lack thereof.
    So Google is getting promoted in schools now... lol

:-)

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    09-06-16 04:14 PM
    Well I've been using Android for 3 months now and I still don't know how to do the following :

1. How can I ensure that all the media that is sent to me via WhatsApp is saved on my SD Card instead of the phone just like my BlackBerry 10

2. How to be able to save a file after signing it using Adobe Acrobat Reader into my SD card.

3. After completing some forms on Adobe Acrobat Reader how to save the file in a name I prefer so that I know what & where it is.

4. After working on a word, excel or pdf file to be able to save it on to my Dropbox, Box or my computer directly without having to save it on the phone first & then transfer it there.

5. How to share more than 1 picture that is sent to me via WhatsApp to an email without first having to download it and then go to the WhatsApp folder to look for them select one share to an email and then go back to add another picture then add the instruction to my colleague then send. In BlackBerry 10 I just select multiple pictures without downloading them first tap share and choose email.

6. How to access files that are stored on my computer that is either at home or in my office while I'm outside at a clients office.

In a nutshell, file management is in stone age compared to BB10, ... but apparently it's got "apps" ... ;-P

#5 would be most frustrating for anyone coming from BB10. It's just too smooth...

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    09-06-16 04:17 PM
    But "fine" isn't "good'.
    It's just fine.

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876) #ILoveBB10Apps #ILoveBB10 #LoveHelloGames #NoMansSky
    09-06-16 04:26 PM
    In a nutshell, file management is in stone age compared to BB10, ... but apparently it's got "apps" ... ;-P

#5 would be most frustrating for anyone coming from BB10. It's just too smooth...

•   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   •
    There's many file managers with the exact same capabilities as BB10, some with a few more features. So no, far from stone age.
    eshropshire likes this.
    09-06-16 05:48 PM

Not sure what apps you're using that don't allow you to do any of this. Unless there's some strange conflict with the Hub all of this should be available from the menus.
    Bbnivende and murphcid like this.
    09-06-16 05:50 PM
    It's unbelievable but that is how homework gets turned in. Everything is on google docs.

So Google is getting promoted in schools now... lol

:-)

•   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   •
    Last edited by murphcid; 09-06-16 at 09:19 PM.
    09-06-16 06:55 PM
    Totally agree.

Not sure what apps you're using that don't allow you to do any of this. Unless there's some strange conflict with the Hub all of this should be available from the menus.
    09-06-16 09:19 PM
    For work i have to move to an Android cheap device and after one week i miss my Z10 a lot:

- The HUB
    -The Keyboard
    -The notification System, incredible how limited is the notification System in Android, at least in my new Android phone can't costumize App by App like in BB10.

Anyway, the only reasons that Android Win is because the Apps, nothing else, Android can't compete with BB10 in nothing else.

Posted via CB10
    Your work gave you no choice in the matter? Which "Android cheap device" did they move you to?

I guess it's too late to ask for a BlackBerry Android?
    Are you allowed to set up your "cheap 'Droid" the BlackBerry way? Probably not eh?

It's all just tastes & there's no right or wrong. But I hear your plight. I can imagine it's a kind of aesthetic & cultural shock.

It is like we become entwined. Like that Nietzschean idea that the tools we work on are also working on us.

Anyway. I have always preferred BB10 just a bit more than iOS. (Difficult to compare though; with BB10 it's the pure utility. With iOS it is all about how everything works so easily, & the slick beauty of the design; both hardware & software. It's seamless. Oh, & timely updates for everyone!) Anyway have always liked iOS by far over Android, though there have been a few Androids I have owned & liked a fair amount, never as much as a fruit phone.

Lately I'm discovering the legacy BBOS. It's great!

Never tried Windows phone. Hmmmmm...
    Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 09-07-16 at 01:22 AM.
    09-07-16 01:03 AM
    Do you know that many banks still use XP?? I wonder why is that? They have actually Paid Microsoft extended licenses to continue using that platform and ONLY recently as of 2016 ,started converting to Windows 7. NOT everything that shines is gold. If you believe that then goodluck.

Posted via CB10
    you do know the version of XP that banks use are nothing like the version of XP that home and business users used
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    09-07-16 01:52 AM
    The apps I'm using are :

- WhatsApp
    - Adobe Acrobat Reader
    - Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint
    - Samsung My files
    - Blue mail
    - BlackBerry Hub

09-07-16 06:08 AM
    To each his own, the rest is a pile of Prairie Cow Pie... :-) haha

Classic for work, Z30 for everything else...
    09-07-16 07:40 AM
    The apps I'm using are :

- WhatsApp
    - Adobe Acrobat Reader
    - Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint
    - Samsung My files
    - Blue mail
    - BlackBerry Hub

If you're not using the Hub to email try swapping out Blue Mail for Nine Email (or Aquamail), and Solid Explorer for My Files. The MS suite should have the menu item "Share" and/or "Export" then pick the appropriate app whether it be email or storage. Reader definitely has this ability.
    09-07-16 08:48 AM
    yes. more high school uses apps nowadays. droid and ios appear to be the std. hopefully, bb10 is compatible to the droid enough... otherwise, lost of market share is inevitable.
    09-07-16 09:21 AM
    yes. more high school uses apps nowadays. droid and ios appear to be the std. hopefully, bb10 is compatible to the droid enough... otherwise, lost of market share is inevitable.
    The under 0.2% market share of BB10 may be a hint.
    09-07-16 09:44 AM
    It's a tough thing for a blackberry user to jump to Android. I keep trying to change my Dtek50 to replicate my experience on bb10. In time it will be easier. Keeping my Sim in my Passport for now.

Posted via CB10 with my Q10 or Z30 or Passport or maybe Playbook
    09-07-16 09:46 AM
    There's many file managers with the exact same capabilities as BB10, some with a few more features. So no, far from stone age.
    In other words: "There's an App for that!"

KAM
    09-07-16 10:16 AM
    In other words: "There's an App for that!"

KAM
    Better than no apps at all lol
    KAM1138 and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    09-07-16 10:20 AM
    Better than no apps at all lol
    Well, we both know that's not true. It is ALMOST true, but not quite.

While I realize I'm in the minority in this regard, what's more important to me is that I have my mobile device perform its primary functions very well, and smoothly with great integration of those core functions (and VERY common apps).

It doesn't matter what secondary Apps an OS has if the basic functionality isn't to my liking.

Do I want a Device that Handles my daily mobile communications, contacts, calendar, note-keeping, light web browsing, and miscellaneous tasks (calculator, etc) VERY well, without providing specific dedicated functions (Banking for example). In other words 90% of what I use a mobile device for.

OR, do I want a device that does the 10%--secondary things better (or at all), while doing the majority of what I use a phone for more poorly?

I guess most other people use their phones for those "secondary things" (not secondary for them?) OR they are willing to tolerate the experience of an OS like Android. Some people might like that experience, but I do not.

KAM
    TCB on Z10 and Notna Nosyel like this.
    09-07-16 10:37 AM
    Well, we both know that's not true. It is ALMOST true, but not quite.

While I realize I'm in the minority in this regard, what's more important to me is that I have my mobile device perform its primary functions very well, and smoothly with great integration of those core functions (and VERY common apps).

It doesn't matter what secondary Apps an OS has if the basic functionality isn't to my liking.

Do I want a Device that Handles my daily mobile communications, contacts, calendar, note-keeping, light web browsing, and miscellaneous tasks (calculator, etc) VERY well, without providing specific dedicated functions (Banking for example). In other words 90% of what I use a mobile device for.

OR, do I want a device that does the 10%--secondary things better (or at all), while doing the majority of what I use a phone for more poorly?

I guess most other people use their phones for those "secondary things" (not secondary for them?) OR they are willing to tolerate the experience of an OS like Android. Some people might like that experience, but I do not.

KAM
    Needless to say, as you allude to, people have different definitions of what a primary function is.

After using Blackberry Android since last November, I find the primary functions that you described in particular can be done just as efficiently and quickly as they could on bb10.

When I add several more elements to the list of primary functions, Blackberry Android becomes a slam dunk.
    09-07-16 11:42 AM
    you do know the version of XP that banks use are nothing like the version of XP that home and business users used
    With the exception of the ATMS which sits atop an IBM application it's essentially the same Kernel used in the industry.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-16 01:02 PM
    Needless to say, as you allude to, people have different definitions of what a primary function is.

After using Blackberry Android since last November, I find the primary functions that you described in particular can be done just as efficiently and quickly as they could on bb10.

When I add several more elements to the list of primary functions, Blackberry Android becomes a slam dunk.
    Exactly my experience so far.
    09-07-16 01:39 PM

First, I understand that you've become a fan of Blackberry Android and did almost immediately upon getting the PRIV--that's fine. I'm not attempting to dispute what a person's preference are, just as I would not expect someone to dispute my preference for how BB10 works.

Regardless of how well we train ourselves as our preferences, the two OS work differently.

However, to drill down slightly on "primary function"--well, if you're getting a third party app--that's no longer a "primary" function, because its not part of what the device does as delivered--it is by definition added on. THAT said, the lines are very blurry. While I'd say that Text Messaging and E-mails are primary functions, I can't say that Twitter is equally "primary" although very common.

Someone could argue that THEIR primary functions include Candy Crush--because that's one of the main things they do with the device. You might say that a Banking App falls within your primary functions.

All that said...MY primary functions are actually those that come on the phone out of the box. Literally, I could take a BB10 Phone, out of the box and have those "primary functions," and have them work seamlessly, and very effectively without the need to sift through apps to cajole the phone into doing what I want.

I think that BB10, and Android phones have very different approaches. BB10 was designed as a system that "flowed" and was quite integrated. I don't see that with Android. It does NOT have that flow, even though EVERY smart phone has some means of going from one function to the next. I personally just find Android to provide a fairly crude experience, compared to BB10.

That said--I'm RELATIVELY pleased with the DTEK50. It's ok, and I can do what I need to do, and many things I DON'T need to do (that BB10 simply doesn't do, or at least not easily).

So, while Blackberry Android might be a slam dunk for you (and I'm glad to hear it), it remains a modest disappointment to me, BUT also my inevitable future (unless something else comes along). I hope something else DOES come along, but I'm not holding my breath.

As far as I'm concerned, if BB10 was kept updated, with a Browser that worked well, I'd be pretty happy for a good long time.

KAM
    Notna Nosyel likes this.
    09-07-16 01:50 PM
363 ... 34567 ...