Launchers are one way of figuring out how to love or re-love, one's Android. I used to be partial to Nova Launcher myself. But wow, you just gave me an idea: Install a TouchWiz Launcher APK. A cursory search reveals, sigh, most of the results are about banishing TouchWiz.

Then again, I do not own a BlackBerry Android, which comes with it's own launcher. Would someone who wanted to, be able to supplant the BB Launcher that comes with a Priv or a DTek, in favour of Nova or Google Now or, haha, TouchWiz?
    Cobalt has done this and you can download it.
    09-05-16 01:23 PM
    Cobalt has done this and you can download it.
    Oh thanks for answering. I may be just out to lunch here (usually am :P) but isn't Cobalt's Launcher to replicate the BlackBerry experience on non-BlackBerry devices? Such as say, a Moto G or a Nexus? I was thinking of the opposite.: Is it possible to replace the BB aspect of a Priv, let's say, and make it run Google Now or a different launcher? Excuse my ignorance. Just curious.

Or did I miss something? Has Cobalt made another set of software, that removes the "BlackBerry-ness" of a Priv, or a DTek50?
    09-05-16 01:35 PM
    Oh thanks for answering. I may be just out to lunch here (usually am :P) but isn't Cobalt's Launcher to replicate the BlackBerry experience on non-BlackBerry devices? Such as say, a Moto G or a Nexus? I was thinking of the opposite.: Is it possible to replace the BB aspect of a Priv, let's say, and make it run Google Now or a different launcher? Excuse my ignorance. Just curious.

Or did I miss something? Has Cobalt made another set of software, that removes the "BlackBerry-ness" of a Priv, or a DTek50?
    You can use any launcher you'd like on the Androidian BlackBerry devices.
    Some have stated on these forums that they're using the Google Launcher and have disabled the Hub app.

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    09-05-16 01:47 PM
    You can use any launcher you'd like on the Androidian BlackBerry devices.
    Some have stated on these forums that they're using the Google Launcher and have disabled the Hub app.
    Thank you. That's what I was wondering.
    09-05-16 02:04 PM
    PS "Androidian BlackBerry" I like that. KInd of like American Canadian. Or, something...
    jope28 likes this.
    09-05-16 02:05 PM
    Sooo... lets see... you don't like the bb10 operating system by comparing yer 2016 Android phone with a 2013 BlackBerry.

But.... yet you still pirate BlackBerry apps.

Interesting....

Posted via CB10
    LOL Pirate, BB has released them for Android, what pirating are you talking about? Second if you're referring to me using 3 Blackberry apps how does that anyway reflect the sad state of bb10? They made 3 good apps that i like and i give credit where credit is do, but they had a winner on their hands in BB10 imho but blew it. There are many reasons to pick from about how bb10 didn't gain traction but somehow they probably all had something to do with the demise of BB10.

As for comparing my Asus, (and yes i agree with you that they give excellent value for the dollar) to my z30 that wasn't my intention and i probably should of worded my original post better, I was just shocked about how slow BB10 OS is on the z30 after using the Asus phone. Not a direct comparison just an observation.
    09-05-16 02:08 PM
    Lol sounds like you should've never been using BB10 and that Android has probably been the best fit for you all along.

Wrong, I been using Blackberry well before they came out with BB10 OS. Even though 10.1 should of been the official release of BB10 os I stuck with them and their growing pains. They were actively developing BB10 and it was fast improving. With its short comings at the time I liked the direction it was headed. But I don't need to go into details but I have since read the writing on the wall that BB10 is finished. Its not being developed anymore and imho its far from being a polished porduct. It does a few things right but in this day and age if you stop developing you're toast. They know that and they themselves have moved onto Android as well.

Believe me, I never thought I would see the day that i had an android device. But when push came to shove and I couldn't bare the z30 anymore I did a deep comparison between iOS and Android and the limitations put on iOS for myself was too much to bare.
    I use my phone to run my company and I needed the flexibility and customization of Android. It was a tough pill to swallow but now that i'm used to it I realized I should of made the switch earlier.

Why not a BB Android? Well it just wasn't worth it. I saved a lot of money and imho got a better phone. So far no complaints with the phone i chose except some crapware on it but i can live with it, not a deal breaker by anymeans.
    09-05-16 02:21 PM
    Wrong, I been using Blackberry well before they came out with BB10 OS. Even though 10.1 should of been the official release of BB10 os I stuck with them and their growing pains. They were actively developing BB10 and it was fast improving. With its short comings at the time I liked the direction it was headed. But I don't need to go into details but I have since read the writing on the wall that BB10 is finished. Its not being developed anymore and imho its far from being a polished porduct. It does a few things right but in this day and age if you stop developing you're toast. They know that and they themselves have moved onto Android as well.

Believe me, I never thought I would see the day that i had an android device. But when push came to shove and I couldn't bare the z30 anymore I did a deep comparison between iOS and Android and the limitations put on iOS for myself was too much to bare.
    I use my phone to run my company and I needed the flexibility and customization of Android. It was a tough pill to swallow but now that i'm used to it I realized I should of made the switch earlier.

Why not a BB Android? Well it just wasn't worth it. I saved a lot of money and imho got a better phone. So far no complaints with the phone i chose except some crapware on it but i can live with it, not a deal breaker by anymeans.
    Since you felt " 'stuck' with them and their growing pains", maybe BB10 was never the best option for you.
    Granted, I might not be one of hippitty hoppity kids, but I've yet to feel like BB10 doesn't give me the experience that I'm looking for in a device (same feeling goes back to my legacy OS days).

Guess we all have different use-cases.
    It's ok to find what best works for you now.
    :-)

09-05-16 02:29 PM
    Since you felt " 'stuck' with them and their growing pains"

I said 'I Stuck with them..."meaning i knew what i was doing...but how can i support a near obsolete os that the company who made it won't even stand behind.lol.

Throwing around terms like "hippitty hoppity" isn't helping your cause. I'm guessing you also visit the MS forums still claiming that Windows XP is the best and we should have all stuck with that and never have moved on.

Well, BB10 is stuck just where you like it with no more innovation or improvements coming. Should make you feel at ease.
    09-05-16 02:37 PM
    Since you felt " 'stuck' with them and their growing pains", maybe BB10 was never the best option for you.
    Granted, I might not be one of hippitty hoppity kids, but I've yet to feel like BB10 doesn't give me the experience that I'm looking for in a device (same feeling goes back to my legacy OS days).

Guess we all have different use-cases.
    It's ok to find what best works for you now.
    :-)

Yep yep. Like what you have said here.

Happy with my legacy device. No problems. It won't bring me a coffee in the morning, but it's a great communication tool, which is what I need it to be.
    jope28 likes this.
    09-05-16 02:46 PM
    I said 'I Stuck with them..."meaning i knew what i was doing...but how can i support a near obsolete os that the company who made it won't even stand behind.lol.

Throwing around terms like "hippitty hoppity" isn't helping your cause. I'm guessing you also visit the MS forums still claiming that Windows XP is the best and we should have all stuck with that and never have moved on.

Well, BB10 is stuck just where you like it with no more innovation or improvements coming. Should make you feel at ease.
    Do you know that many banks still use XP?? I wonder why is that? They have actually Paid Microsoft extended licenses to continue using that platform and ONLY recently as of 2016 ,started converting to Windows 7. NOT everything that shines is gold. If you believe that then goodluck.

Posted via CB10
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 03:12 PM
    Sooo... lets see... you don't like the bb10 operating system by comparing yer 2016 Android phone with a 2013 BlackBerry.

But.... yet you still pirate BlackBerry apps.

Interesting....

Via my 3 year old z10 still going strong despite being under a rock.

BTW, I agree that the Asus phones are excellent value for the money.

Posted via CB10
    LOL... I was gonna say....

-Dread Pirate Regan
    09-05-16 03:52 PM
    Wow, that's your argument. Lol.
    09-05-16 07:33 PM
    Do you know that many banks still use XP?? I wonder why is that? They have actually Paid Microsoft extended licenses to continue using that platform and ONLY recently as of 2016 ,started converting to Windows 7. NOT everything that shines is gold. If you believe that then goodluck.

Posted via CB10
    Lol you make it seem like they are still using Windows XP because it's somehow superior. That is not at all the reason why they are still running it. They are still running XP because it's a major labor and financial undertaking to upgrade all of them, so let's not make it seem like it's being done because it's superior software.
    Last edited by donnation; 09-06-16 at 08:12 AM.
    Loc22, 1khalid and Tsepz_GP like this.
    09-05-16 09:21 PM
    When my Z10 fell in the water I had to use an Android device for a while and it was a nightmare. What I missed the most? The Hub, how easy it is to handle email accounts and the keyboard

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport 
    09-05-16 09:29 PM
    hahaha When BB10 came out so many people complained about having to get used to it, and if someone wasnt willing to give it a couple of weeks to get used to it, then they were called, not very nice things.
    Now BB10 users cant allow a couple of weeks to adjust to a different type of OS and it's the other OS fault.

Android is fine in most ways, superior to BB10 in a lot of ways, and inferior in other ways.

If you cba to adjust and give it a fair shot then thats a reflection on you, not the OS
    eshropshire and web99 like this.
    09-05-16 11:12 PM
    Very true, literally everyone shifting so easily to android stating they won't look back, simply never have used BB for what it meant to be used.
    I have to disagree with your statement. Some of us have used BlackBerry for many years and know perfectly "what it was meant to be."
    09-05-16 11:15 PM
    Very true, literally everyone shifting so easily to android stating they won't look back, simply never have used BB for what it meant to be used.
    Haha, and how is it meant to be used!
    This comment seems similar to when Steve Jobs told iPhone 4 users that they were holding it wrong!
    09-05-16 11:27 PM
    It's UNDENIABLY the truth some like you will be offended, why still hang around a site dedicated to BlackBerry users, that you and your ilk find despicable is astounding "for me "!!!

Posted via CB10
    And who are you to tell anyone that they should go somewhere else, or not visit this site? Some of us have been here much longer than you have. Sorry if opinions that don't parrot yours bother you. They are "opinions" not etched in stone facts. It always amazes me how some on this site act like these devices ...whatever the OS ..... somehow hold the key to all the answers in the universe. They're just phones with other features. What you like doesn't matter one bit to me. What I like shouldn't matter one bit to you. In fact, your opinion of my choices mean nothing to me. So please, spare us all your sanctimonious ramblings!
    Uzi, cribble2k, 1khalid and 2 others like this.
    09-05-16 11:32 PM
    And who are you to tell anyone that they should go somewhere else, or not visit this site? Some of us have been here much longer than you have. Sorry if opinions that don't parrot yours bother you. They are "opinions" not etched in stone facts. It always amazes me how some on this site act like these devices ...whatever the OS ..... somehow hold the key to all the answers in the universe. They're just phones with other features. What you like doesn't matter one bit to me. What I like shouldn't matter one bit to you. In fact, your opinion of my choices mean nothing to me. So please, spare us all your sanctimonious ramblings!
    DITTO. !!!!! "For me"

Posted via CB10
    shaleem and 1khalid like this.
    09-06-16 05:49 AM
    It is all about the app ecosystem. Android and IOS have them, BB 10 does not. Kids want apps. Heck my daughters classes in high school required her to d/l two apps for her phone for classes! Plus they make them use Google Docs and Google drive to store them on. It is all about the apps...or lack thereof.
    09-06-16 06:56 AM
    Kids want apps.
    So do professionals.
    09-06-16 07:10 AM
    It is all about the app ecosystem. Android and IOS have them, BB 10 does not. Kids want apps. Heck my daughters classes in high school required her to d/l two apps for her phone for classes! Plus they make them use Google Docs and Google drive to store them on. It is all about the apps...or lack thereof.
    Some pretty cool apps been being released still in 2016 by Cellninja, Hugsoft, Toysoft (don't like his permissions much though) as well as Cobalts are always awesome whether for droid or BB10. I love CellNinja's Hubby app. Worth every penny. If you pick thru the particulars and find the gold, they are there! Also, we have clients for almost if not ALL social media so I still don't understand why people complain. I don't get it. Hell Blaq is better then the real twitter and even runs on the playbook as well as igrannpro (my choice) is just as good if not better because of the hub and more option for instagram, the list goes on and on. I am lost on this. I do however see a need for future proofing for art to be updated which yet again I know will not be! However, as of now, what doesn't work? If it needs google play we can add it or remove it. So far I found one app in my entire 11 months with the SE that I couldn't run which was called Cell411 so I am just looking at them as sell outs and looking for an alternative to it. Who wants to use apps (unless one really has to) that sold out to google drain ya battery services anyway! ....

I still use Annapurna as my main web Browser which hasn't been updated since 2015 and it is the best browser I ever used so glad I found it. I do have an issue with battery life now though so time to delete apps or find a program (if even possible) that can shut down all droid apps while not in use however don't think that is possible as I know it's not the native apps draining me.

However it has gotten better since sideloaded ART 110 from 556 to my PPSE meant for the AT & T classic, don't ask me why but no more ANR's either. So there is slight differences!..

-Dread Pirate Regan
    09-06-16 07:36 AM
    Other things that BB10 have that android 5.1 dont have after 2 weeks of use:

- Multiples Phone State (Vibration, Silent, normal, metting and others that you can personalize App by App).
    - If you buy an android phone without notification led, is going to be a nightmare checking the screen everytime to see any new notification.
    - the bedside mode, seriusly, android can�t do something similar, you have to download and test app after app and none closed to the bedside mode in BB10.
    - The Android Scroll App pressing home button, serously, if you open 30-40 Apps, they remain in the Scroll, then, or you close all, or close one by one, nothing like BB10, press X and done.
    - The clock in android don�t have units conversor like BB10, Kgs to Lbs, Mts to Cm, etc,etc.
    - Personalize a MP3 tone in android is a nightmare, you can�t search into your SD card, you have to put in a specific folder in the internal memory to could select it.
    - At least for now i don�t find an App to put the clock in mode night when i going to sleep, to mode night locking the screen , don�t work in my phone.

Well, for now that�s what i saw comparing BB10 with android 5.1, and why i hate android.

My device is a Doogee Valencia 2 y100 pro.
    Last edited by elhot69; 09-06-16 at 08:06 AM.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    09-06-16 07:38 AM
    Other things that BB10 have that android 5.1 dont have after 2 weeks of use:

- Multiples Phone State (Vibration, Silent, normal, metting and others that you can personalize App by App).
    - If you buy an android phone without notification led, is going to be a nightmare checking the screen everytime to see any new notification.
    - the bedside mode, seriusly, android can�t do something similar, you have to download and test app after app and none closed to the bedside mode in BB10.
    - The Android Scroll App pressing home button, serously, if you open 30-40 Apps, they remain in the Scroll, then, or you close all, or close one by one, nothing like BB10, press X and done.
    - The clock in android don�t have units conversor like BB110, Kgs to Lbs, Mts to Cm, etc,etc.
    - Personalize a MP3 tone in android is a nightmare, you can�t search into your SD card, you have to put in a specific folder in the internal memory to could select it.
    - At least for now i don�t find an App to put the clock in mode night when i going to sleep, to mode night locking the screen , don�t work in my phone.

Well, for now is what i see comparing BB10 with android 5.1, and why i hate android.

My device is a Doogee Valencia 2 y100 pro.
    Everything you listed is easily done on Android. Your issues here seem more to do with your unfamiliarity with the platform.
    Thud Hardsmack and 1khalid like this.
    09-06-16 07:45 AM
363 ... 23456 ...