Just read this on BlackBerry's moeten politiewerk op straat effici�nter maken | Mobile | Tweakers.net Nieuws

BlackBerry's have to make police work on the streets more efficient.

The dutch police is going to buy thousands of extra BlackBerry smart phones to make the work of officers patrolling the streets more efficient.
    Officers can spent a full 30 to 60 minutes of a workday patrolling the streets instead of doing office work thanks to the use of a BlackBerry.
    07-12-11 11:25 AM
    But on iPhone they can play "Angry Birds"!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-11 11:28 AM
    It really only saves them 30 minutes a day? Does one really consider that efficiency? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea, but that's kind of a sad estimate.
    07-12-11 11:30 AM
    maybe they are very efficient allready?
    nah couldn't be
    Last edited by PsyCorps; 07-12-11 at 11:41 AM.
    07-12-11 11:38 AM
    It really only saves them 30 minutes a day? Does one really consider that efficiency? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea, but that's kind of a sad estimate.
    ever thought about 30min/day over a year? or 5 years?

multiplied by a police force of 500? or 5000?

that's huge.
    07-12-11 11:54 AM
    Lol, I was just doing the math

1 officer, saves between 30 to 60 minutes a day, that would be like 45 average for the sake of argument.
    That would be like: 5 days a week, 45 minutes, that's 3 hours and 45 minutes saved a week, do this a whole year long 52 weeks, of witch they, let's say, 6 non working, so there is 46 left, is still 172.5 hours, so that is 7,18 full days of extra time for those cops to do their work on the streets instead of doing paper work in an office...
    And picture that calculation x thousands of cops, so that is actually a pretty great result I think, I get more "cop-on-the-streets-fighting-crime-hours" for my taxes
    07-12-11 12:01 PM
    30 min / day, on an assumption of 20 work days a month average is 7200 min / year I bet at a billing rate between of $.50 to $1.20 per minute of employee wage.

That is pretty substantial time savings.

EDIT clearly it took me waaaayy to long to get a signal. Since someone did the math before I could post
    Last edited by deRusett; 07-12-11 at 01:04 PM.
    07-12-11 12:57 PM
    The answer is yes, 30 min times thousands a day by 365 days a year. it adds up. Cops need to be on the street no pushing paper!
    Edit, Same as above
    07-12-11 02:00 PM
    Lol, i think the cops are just going to BBM eachother and broadcast jokes
    Good for BB though
    anon(3749235) likes this.
    07-13-11 01:21 AM
    Broadcast jokes to over 1000 police men at a time.

Its the very definition of efficiency!

07-13-11 01:34 AM
    But on iPhone they can play "Angry Birds"!

ha ha ha

excellent..made me smile...
    07-13-11 02:54 AM
    Northern Irish police use them too, not all of them but at least the traffic branch. You see them in otterbox defender cases hooked up to their bullet proof vests(it's northern ireland after all )

07-13-11 03:31 AM
    Now they can take pictures of the bad guys and then BBM images of the stupidest criminals to their large group of cops instead of printing it out in the office! That's efficiency!
    07-13-11 07:00 AM
    It'd be nice if we could get more US departments to get them. BBM would be great for sending out group messages to let us know which donut shops have the best deals.
    PsyCorps and scottae316 like this.
    07-13-11 07:55 AM
    Edmonton, Alberta Police are heavily entrenched in BB usage, All sworn officers are issued a BlackBerry as there personal device. Same estimates as other police forces in terms of savings of in office time.
    07-13-11 09:14 AM
    Well, the savings include the Broadcast Messages, sending a BOLO or department message to all officers simultaneously, that's pretty effective. Especially when you know that officers can miss radio calls easily, but BBM will deliver. And the ability for officers to have others on their shift to communicate without tying up the radio, even to ask a simple question would be great, also.

07-13-11 09:25 AM
    Used to use them all the time when i work security in the less then lovely St. James Town apartment complex (most densely populated 2 block area per capita in North America) we would BBM each other suspect info as we lurked in the shadows waiting to nab morons in the act. also was a great tool for alerting about supervisors coming on site.
    07-13-11 12:28 PM
    well a nice idea
    07-18-11 07:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD