Here is my real world experience with quad core vs single core. I have the quad core Nexus 4 vs my plain old Nexus S (single core) vs my Blackberry 99x0 (single core 1.2Ghz speed). In a nutshell I notice very little speed difference with all of the above. Sure I get 20Mbit download speeds with my Nexus 4 and only 7Mbit download speeds with my Nexus S and Blackberry 99x0. But once the data/program is on the phone, there is very little difference on speed-based upon my usage that is. I am NOT impressed with the Nexus 4 period! I do not do games or heavy texting or lots of phone calls. In fact, the native apps on my Blackberries meet all my needs!. The Nexus 4 with its big screen only shines when I want to do a lot of web cruising due to both the screen size as well as the download speeds. But if I do not need to do a lot of web cruising, then my Nexus S and my Blackberries excel quite well for the single cores they are. These are my opinions based upon my needs only. Your results may vary quite a bit I assume from mine.
    Of course the Nexus 4 isn't for you. If you don't play games, make a lot of calls or text heavily, why would you need a high end phone. I'm very impressed with my N4.The large screen is great for games, video podcasts and any other graphic intense applications. That's like buying a $2,500 gaming desktop and not being impressed at the speed of email and Facebook on it
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-17-13 07:53 AM
    HTC, Samsung, LG etc with the Android OS are whats going to cause a crash in the mobile market... nothing! not even a single core processors gets near optimization because there is no set standard for Android so they just keep trying to 1up with spec sheets.

look at gaming consoles for example: look at the xbox 360's games the first couple years then fast forward 5 years and see what they could pull off with the exact processor and 512mb of RAM.

Look at HTC... they are trying so hard to get near samsung they keep outdating they're own flagships every 3 months.
    02-17-13 08:11 AM
    So if I understand it correctly the extra cores are battery using hardware that because the software doesn't address them adds nothing to most programs
    Actually, extra cores use less battery. As for most programs not utilizing the extra cores, you are correct. However, with native features like Multi-Window that Samsung has implemented, they themselves are taking advantage of the hardware on their phones with their own software.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-17-13 10:03 AM
    HTC, Samsung, LG etc with the Android OS are whats going to cause a crash in the mobile market... nothing! not even a single core processors gets near optimization because there is no set standard for Android so they just keep trying to 1up with spec sheets.

look at gaming consoles for example: look at the xbox 360's games the first couple years then fast forward 5 years and see what they could pull off with the exact processor and 512mb of RAM.

Look at HTC... they are trying so hard to get near samsung they keep outdating they're own flagships every 3 months.
    It's funny how people with very little knowledge on the subject continue to think that the new software in Android today isn't being optimized for the new hardware.

You guys should be thanking Android and their "spec wars" for upping the industry standard,otherwise BB would STILL be releasing phones with single core processors and 512MB RAM. If it wasn't for other OEM's, you wouldn't have the nice hardware and extra RAM that came with the Z10.
    Saiga likes this.
    02-17-13 10:07 AM
    The Nexus 4 with its big screen only shines when I want to do a lot of web cruising due to both the screen size as well as the download speeds.
    The big screen,great build quality, fast download speeds, great processor for gaming, heavy messaging, as well as great OS support, and amazing app selection, all for a measly $300 brand new off contract, is why the Nexus 4 shines.
    02-17-13 10:11 AM
    don't need to get defensive about android. for starters I'm not even currently using a BB... I'm using a HTC 8X and a nexus 4 lol and NO there is no way the tech is being optimized.

when the lumia 900 launched it was faster, smoother, less lag than almost all androids on the market and it had a single core processor and 512mb of ram.
    02-17-13 10:46 AM
    don't need to get defensive about android. for starters I'm not even currently using a BB... I'm using a HTC 8X and a nexus 4 lol and NO there is no way the tech is being optimized.

when the lumia 900 launched it was faster, smoother, less lag than almost all androids on the market and it had a single core processor and 512mb of ram.
    First off, just because you "use" a certain phone, doesn't necessary make you knowledgeable about that phone. The way I use my Gnex, versus the way my M-I-L uses her G3 are two completely different things. Secondly, your ascertion that the 900 was "faster, smoother, and less lag" are perceptions, as true benchmarks reveal the actual story.

Also, your general lumping of Android into one phone, "the Nexus 4 isn't optimized, therefore Android isn't optimized" is equivalent to a generic comment basing BB on the Storm. You obviously never watched the video I linked earlier, as then you would see when and where more cores and more ram become useful, whether every program is utilized to take advantage of it or not.

I understand that not all programs will take advantage of 4 cores, simply because most programs don't need 4 cores to do their function. Where this becomes obvious to even someone with no technical understanding (not directed at you) is with gaming and task intensive programs. You cited Xbox gaming advancement over the last 5 years as proof that better hardware is not needed, yet fail to realize the software advancements in the last 5 years have also allowed this to happen. Does it help when programmers can learn to better optimize their program when they have time to work with one standard of hardware? Absolutely. But do I think that means phone manufacturers shouldn't be pushing the limits hardware wise just so programmers can catch up? Not at all.
    02-17-13 12:12 PM
    I agree with everyone here except rickroller...
    The future of mobile computing is software, not hardware... As I stated; BlackBerry 10 can handle the stresses of everyday computing without a beefy quad-core because there are plans in place to make the computing experience MOBILE. No other Mobile OS can do what BlackBerry 10 does natively, such as handle multiple cores off the get-go, they have to be re-written and applied to their current OS. The future of mobile computing has nothing to do with on the go hardware or HDMI mirroring, think of it as; you have your device on you where ever you go, come home and instead of firing up Windows, you sit at your desk and with blue tooth, wifi, and smart monitor functions, you can use a keyboard, mouse, and a monitor and use cloud services for multiple tasks and saves... all without a tower humming away in the background... you can do that today with BlackBerry 10. The future of mobile computing is now because of the BlackBerry 10 software not hardware.
    02-17-13 12:43 PM
    There's always the aristo
    Not yet, there isn't...
    Rickroller and Emu the Foo like this.
    02-17-13 12:53 PM
    I agree with everyone here except rickroller...
    The future of mobile computing is software, not hardware... As I stated; BlackBerry 10 can handle the stresses of everyday computing without a beefy quad-core because there are plans in place to make the computing experience MOBILE. No other Mobile OS can do what BlackBerry 10 does natively, such as handle multiple cores off the get-go, they have to be re-written and applied to their current OS. The future of mobile computing has nothing to do with on the go hardware or HDMI mirroring, think of it as; you have your device on you where ever you go, come home and instead of firing up Windows, you sit at your desk and with blue tooth, wifi, and smart monitor functions, you can use a keyboard, mouse, and a monitor and use cloud services for multiple tasks and saves... all without a tower humming away in the background... you can do that today with BlackBerry 10. The future of mobile computing is now because of the BlackBerry 10 software not hardware.
    Lolwut? You do realize that everything BB10 does currently as far as "mobile computing" has been done already since 2010. Please give me an example of what aspect of BB10's mobile computing hasn't been accomplished already, or what it offers that hasn't already been done for the consumer. If you're referring to plugging in the phone to a monitor and using BT accessories, this has been done, and is currently being done much better by Samsung than what the Z10 is offering. So i'm really curious as to what real world use the Z10 offers over the competitors for "mobile computing"..
    Saiga likes this.
    02-17-13 12:59 PM
    umm... it's not 2010 anymore... I think they're missing you over at Android Central... I can't state and restate what's been stated multiple times in this thread already... The Android/Samsung mentality of this situation is the bigger your hardware the better; BlackBerry 10 is proving that's it's not about the hardware anymore...
    Last edited by tte404; 02-17-13 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added Samsung :D
    02-17-13 01:13 PM
    umm... it's not 2010 anymore... I think they're missing you over at Android Central... I can't state and restate what's been stated multiple times in this thread already... The Android/Samsung mentality of this situation is the bigger your hardware the better; BlackBerry 10 is proving that's it's not about the hardware anymore...
    How so? Please do explain what BB10 has proven, without just throwing out terms and no real world examples..
    02-17-13 01:22 PM
    Actually those additional cores are actually useful if you are going to use a15-based chips since using the additional lower power cores is the only way to reign in the power demands by reducing the amount of time the faster ones are actually active. Obviously another option would be to choose chips that were better suited to mobile-sized batteries, but the android market is allergic to such ideas.
    Thanks, for telling me, its always nice to learn more about tech!
    02-17-13 02:01 PM
    How so? Please do explain what BB10 has proven, without just throwing out terms and no real world examples..
    Not very interested in other phones.

I've studied IOS and android and have had a phone with each. iMO BB Z10 is the best moving forward for my needs. I like the idea of a new operating system with significant growth potential vs. OSs that are "mature" and only have small improvements in their future.

If you think your android is better then do enjoy the android forums.
    02-17-13 03:04 PM
    Not yet, there isn't...
    I like your optimistic outlook tho. Even for effort
    02-17-13 05:32 PM
    you realise this comment in no way rebutted Rickroller's assertion and does more to back up his claim rather then yours as you fail to give an example of this Mobile computing that BB10 can do that no other platform can.
    02-17-13 05:40 PM
    02-17-13 05:51 PM
    what about it?

That hasnt actually answered any questions.

The only thing the article shows is how BB10 is superior to legacy BBOS
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-17-13 05:55 PM
    The QNX Neutrino RTOS is so reliable because it is a true microkernel operating system. Under QNX Neutrino, every driver, protocol stack, filesystem and application runs in the safety of memory-protected user space, outside the kernel. Virtually any component can fail — and be automatically restarted — without affecting other components or the kernel. So, essentially, no more blue screen of death, or the system hang or screen lock on Apple devices. With this RTOS developers can take this software anywhere they want too... meaning essentially that the home PC has it's days numbered and BlackBerry 10 is holding the noose. Can anyone else do this??? Yes, of course. Software is being written every day. This is the start to Mobile Computing, BlackBerry 10 made it happen and it has nothing to do with hardware.

It was like my buddy bought a brand new Nexus tablet, 1.6GHZ, Quad-Core and was showing it off too me... I had my PlayBook and there was no noticable speed difference between his monster machine compared to my 1GHz, Dual-Core... I opened various youtube windows (native browser and simple browser), calender, camera, slacker, kobo books, zinio, docs to go, calculator, and media player, when that was all loaded into the background, I started to play Asphalt 6... The game ran smoothly and without issue... Can your Mobile OS do that?
    02-17-13 06:02 PM
    The QNX Neutrino RTOS is so reliable because it is a true microkernel operating system. Under QNX Neutrino, every driver, protocol stack, filesystem and application runs in the safety of memory-protected user space, outside the kernel. Virtually any component can fail — and be automatically restarted — without affecting other components or the kernel. So, essentially, no more blue screen of death, or the system hang or screen lock on Apple devices. With this RTOS developers can take this software anywhere they want too... meaning essentially that the home PC has it's days numbered and BlackBerry 10 is holding the noose. Can anyone else do this??? Yes, of course. Software is being written every day. This is the start to Mobile Computing, BlackBerry 10 made it happen and it has nothing to do with hardware.

It was like my buddy bought a brand new Nexus tablet, 1.6GHZ, Quad-Core and was showing it off too me... I had my PlayBook and there was no noticable speed difference between his monster machine compared to my 1GHz, Dual-Core... I opened various youtube windows (native browser and simple browser), calender, camera, slacker, kobo books, zinio, docs to go, calculator, and media player, when that was all loaded into the background, I started to play Asphalt 6... The game ran smoothly and without issue... Can your Mobile OS do that?
    yet the Z10 does fail and needs battery pulls. did your friend try and do the same thing with his tablet and fail? you stated you did something which is great, but doesnt mean a thing without a comparative example.

and as for the freezing issue again. There is an Android handset in my household, and it has only ever needed to be restarted twice in two years.

and the first part of the article is informative and all, but what does that mean for BB10. BB10 is not QNX, it is QNX based, this means there are differences, which is probably why the handsets do freeze at times.
    02-17-13 06:15 PM
    What is the purpose of continuing to demand examples. Can we just move along here?
    02-17-13 06:19 PM
    The QNX Neutrino RTOS is so reliable because it is a true microkernel operating system. Under QNX Neutrino, every driver, protocol stack, filesystem and application runs in the safety of memory-protected user space, outside the kernel. Virtually any component can fail � and be automatically restarted � without affecting other components or the kernel. So, essentially, no more blue screen of death, or the system hang or screen lock on Apple devices. With this RTOS developers can take this software anywhere they want too... meaning essentially that the home PC has it's days numbered and BlackBerry 10 is holding the noose. Can anyone else do this??? Yes, of course. Software is being written every day. This is the start to Mobile Computing, BlackBerry 10 made it happen and it has nothing to do with hardware.

I can open every single app on an iPhone or iPad and still play a game smoothly because iOS doesn't need to have apps running unnecessarily in the background. I'm not saying its the better "mobile computing" OS, just that it can do what you asked.
    02-17-13 06:27 PM
    Yeah.... we are talking about true multi-tasking platforms here... not Apple.. but thanks for stopping by.

As for my buddy; the device was only hours old and he didn't want to harm it (his words not mine), so I don't have one... He just said holy that's efficient and I said yeah. The only issues I'm having with my Z10 right now is Android ports crashing... just the app, not the device - don't want to insert words into anyone's mouth. I have yet to see the device itself stutter or hang. I'm really impressed with what I have in my hands...
    02-17-13 06:40 PM
    Yeah.... we are talking about true multi-tasking platforms here... not Apple.. but thanks for stopping by.

As for my buddy; the device was only hours old and he didn't want to harm it (his words not mine), so I don't have one... He just said holy that's efficient and I said yeah. The only issues I'm having with my Z10 right now is Android ports crashing... just the app, not the device - don't want to insert words into anyone's mouth. I have yet to see the device itself stutter or hang. I'm really impressed with what I have in my hands...
    It might have something to do with what device you're coming from, but in the end, that is all that matters.
    02-17-13 06:45 PM

*Sigh* Thanks for the copy and paste job about QNX. None of that however, gives me any real world examples of what the Z10 is offering right now as far as "true mobile computing". You are simply regurgitating things you've read or heard. As for your example comparing tablets, again, none of that means anything, because none of those processes are happening simultaneously. Can you play Ashphalt 6 and watch a movie on your tablet without HDMI at the same time? No. But my Galaxy tab can, even though it's not RTOS or QNX based.

You stated BB10 has opened everyones eyes (implying a wow factor) as far as actual mobile computing is concerned, and yet still haven't demonstrated anything that even remotely comes close. If anyone can tell me how BB10 has changed the game with this aspect, i'm genuinely curious, because as it stands, I don't see it.
    02-17-13 06:58 PM
59 123