I'm curious to see what people think the odds of RIM making a dual SIM model, and whether or not its something that any Crackberry users, outside of myself, would want. Weigh in with your thoughts and opinions.
    Thanks
    02-08-10 04:48 PM
    I want it because BIS phone contracts are restrictive.

For example, on 02 a BIS user can get international calls reduced to 18p/minute with an international tariff. However, a non-BIS user can have international calls down to 3p/minute. This represents a significant saving.

Consequently, a dual SIM BlackBerry could offer cost savings by having one BIS/BES-enabled SIM and one without. However, the support for non-BIS would go against the politics at RIM and they probably won't see my point of view.

Chances of a dual sim BlackBerry are very slim. I think its very well known on CB that I don't have BIS/BES. This is because I have weighed up all the pros/cons and for me its just not worth having. With full international usage, I think BIS would be over �200/month compared with �15/month.

Furthermore, BIS doesn't work when I travel overseas and travelling is another scenario when dual-sim phones can be very useful. For example, in some countries the carriers don't compete on the same ground. Instead, they expand to new ground. When you travel across a country with such an infrastructure, you need at least two SIMs to experience daily coverage. In some ways, a single-SIM BIS phone is anti-international.
    Last edited by flop; 02-08-10 at 05:07 PM.
    02-08-10 04:55 PM
    I would love to have one just for a dedicated business line without having to carry a second phone.
    02-08-10 04:59 PM
    I would love to have one for a dedicated data line, and a separate dedicated voice line. Then I can really pick and choose the tariffs that are best for me
    02-08-10 06:53 PM
    That would be a great idea but I dont think that would happen
    02-08-10 07:07 PM
    wont happen
    02-09-10 10:20 AM
    I would love to have one for a dedicated data line, and a separate dedicated voice line. Then I can really pick and choose the tariffs that are best for me
    +1

I once had the idea of a "shadow SIM". Such that it is a second SIM slot in the BlackBerry, but the SIM card put in there would be used exclusively for data. The primary SIM could function for phone+data, unless a "shadow SIM" is inserted. And all this transparently integrated into the phone so the user doesn't need to do extra configuration.
    02-09-10 02:51 PM
    Someone tested on their 9700 and it worked:

Dual SIM Card Platinum 3G HSPDA Networks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-10 09:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD