I knew this topic would come up on here... Hopefully I can provide a balanced opinion. I had a Blackberry for little over a year on Sprint. Now I've got the Droid on Verizon.

After almost 1 month with my Droid, I can definitely say that Blackberry and Android are 2 different ballgames when it comes to Operating Systems. You can't really compare them because they are designed on completely different platforms and created for opposite lifestyles of use.

Blackberry OS = Built and desgined for primarily Business. Now with secondary capability for entertainment & multi-media (in a minor way)
    Android OS = Built and designed for primarily multi-media, entertainment, and daily productivity / apps that make daily life more efficient.

With that said, and all due respect to BB OS (and it has been around longer than Android) I have to say that Android is a much more advanced OS when it comes to today's pace of technology. The apps that it can handle and the processing power is just a whole world above BB. Again, don't hate. I did say that they are 2 different kinds of OS's.

So whatever OS fits your lifestyle personal and work, that's the OS & phone you should go with.

GREAT POST! I totally agree. I am in no way defending the droid in my previous post! However people with diahrea of the mouth and constipation of the brain annoy me!
    12-02-09 07:02 AM
    It funny how they bash the Droid, but reality is the Droid out of the box is solid, quick, and so customizable it's sick.

Needless to say, Dec. 11th OTA update will be a good improvement and Android 2.1 will be even a bigger treat. I'm good without either one but the fact that they are so quick to correct issues and offer official upgrades just makes me so glad I don't have a BB anymore...
    12-02-09 07:14 AM
    I knew this topic would come up on here... Hopefully I can provide a balanced opinion. I had a Blackberry for little over a year on Sprint. Now I've got the Droid on Verizon.

After almost 1 month with my Droid, I can definitely say that Blackberry and Android are 2 different ballgames when it comes to Operating Systems. You can't really compare them because they are designed on completely different platforms and created for opposite lifestyles of use.

Blackberry OS = Built and desgined for primarily Business. Now with secondary capability for entertainment & multi-media (in a minor way)
    Android OS = Built and designed for primarily multi-media, entertainment, and daily productivity / apps that make daily life more efficient.

With that said, and all due respect to BB OS (and it has been around longer than Android) I have to say that Android is a much more advanced OS when it comes to today's pace of technology. The apps that it can handle and the processing power is just a whole world above BB. Again, don't hate. I did say that they are 2 different kinds of OS's.

So whatever OS fits your lifestyle personal and work, that's the OS & phone you should go with.
    I'm going to definitly hate on you a bit with giving the droid that status of making the daily life productivity statement. That is one of the sole reasons the berry was created to help the business world and anyone else who needs to be more productive while not at a computer, and its apps cater to that cause. I just checked my android marketplace and it productivity apps category hold a lot less apps then my app world, or winmo touch pro 2 marketplace.

Now you were right when you said the droid is a multimedia device, and the bb is an older build, but don't try and church it up, and make the droid that much better.

I have the droid and the 9700 do you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by phonemaster123; 12-02-09 at 07:41 AM.
    12-02-09 07:39 AM
    If droids are for simple people I suggest picking one up and start trying to use it! You obviously never have if you think they are such a simple device. Blackberry is much easier to use than any android OS. I'm far from knocking blackberry I think they are great phone's but know your facts before ya make moronic statements!

So now flame me and call me a fan boy but if rim got their **** together instead of the same old OS with basically all the devices that look the same I would own a bb again.

Yea I think that was a ridiculous statement to make droids are for simple people, I mean you could say that about the Iphone too but hey they both are doing a lot better then there RIM competitor in the touch screen smartphone market last I checked.

Iphones are for simple people too.

LOL, I'm sorry I am just messing around as I knew that would get a rise out of people. My apologies. I did try the Droid and its just not for me. I think a design team somewhere should be fired for that keyboard. I really don't like the look and operation of the OS. Its like they said, "Hey, with this hi-rez screen, can you imagine how much tiny **** we can fit on here?" I think they should have kept things a decent size but added more detail to them and thrown in some kind of organized layout.
    12-02-09 10:25 AM
    Android is as organized as you want it to be pretty much, its a platform that allows a sort of freedom

12-02-09 10:31 AM
    Android is as organized as you want it to be pretty much, its a platform that allows a sort of freedom

I need structure in my life.
    12-02-09 10:37 AM
    Join the army

12-02-09 10:52 AM
    Not that much structure. I will just wait for a Storm 3 because I think I am the only one that hates conventional touchscreens and loves the surepress.
    12-02-09 11:47 AM
    Storm 3 comes out next month. The early release is to show off the new browser and flash integration. There will be no returns allowed for Storm 2 Users. You have been Rick Rolled by VZW.

12-02-09 12:33 PM
    Join the army

LMAO!!!!! Classic!...
    12-02-09 12:35 PM
    Storm 3 comes out next month. The early release is to show off the new browser and flash integration. There will be no returns allowed for Storm 2 Users. You have been Rick Rolled by VZW.

If that were true there will be a riot from Storm2 owners...
    12-02-09 12:36 PM
    I own the Droid and I think the 5.0 BBs is just as quick and snappy. Unless you meant the browser then I give you that. At least the BBs doesn't lag at the home screen with multiple aps open. Customization I will give an edge to the Droids cuz of the widget but the BB has better shortcut customization though. Its funny how the Droid fanboi are making sound like BBs are much inferior yet trying to spin it off as if it all come down to user preference.

It funny how they bash the Droid, but reality is the Droid out of the box is solid, quick, and so customizable it's sick.

Needless to say, Dec. 11th OTA update will be a good improvement and Android 2.1 will be even a bigger treat. I'm good without either one but the fact that they are so quick to correct issues and offer official upgrades just makes me so glad I don't have a BB anymore...
    12-02-09 01:11 PM

Hilarious! But somehow seems realistic given RIMs track record lately.
    12-02-09 03:30 PM
    Android is a very attractive OS to me, and I've been tempted to try it out. But I'm not really impressed with their devices thus far. One of the most important things in a device to me is the keyboard, as I use it primarily for writing emails and texts. So until an Android device can get that right, I won't switch. I tried using the Droid keyboard and I was not at all impressed. It's like twice the size of the 8900 but just not a good keyboard at all. Plus the fact that you have to turn the device sideways to use it is kind of inconvenient. If I could choose between BlackBerry OS and Android, I'd probably choose Android. But right now BlackBerry devices are better for what I use them for.
    12-02-09 03:58 PM
    I think a few of you need to actually install linux on your PC's and than you would fully understand open source and the way things work and how far it can go! Sorry to say it but Blackberry will never be as customizable as Android no matter what android phone it is. The closed minded people think its about the phone..when in all reality i got it for the OS as im sure many others did!

So heres my advice to the haters...Install linux, learn to use it, go buy a android phone and start comparing...youll understand and respect open source and what it is truly capable of!
    12-02-09 05:49 PM
    Can someone develop an app that Rick Rolls someone? Like the app is fake but looks real. Call it GPR, and once opened, your media player opens and you get Rick Rolled.

12-02-09 05:58 PM
    Can someone develop an app that Rick Rolls someone? Like the app is fake but looks real. Call it GPR, and once opened, your media player opens and you get Rick Rolled.

LMFAO! Im gonna have to play around...i made the stupid little hello world app as a test so maybe i can whip one up that looks like the music icon and when ya click it it says...YOUVE BEEN RICK ROLLED! My programming skills arent that great since im still in my 1st semester of school for it.
    12-02-09 06:11 PM
    ?

Flip Video launches FlipShare TV for your Flip video streaming pleasure

AT&T offering 50% off all BlackBerry smartphones, Verizon Android BOGO?

Neither is confirmed at the moment, but we�ve heard that AT&T, starting Friday, will be offering 50% off any BlackBerry smartphone with new activation and minimum $30 monthly data package. Separately we�ve been told Verizon Wireless will be offering up their infamous buy-one-get-one-free promotions for their Android handsets, the DROID and DROID Eris. That�s supposed to start December 4th as well.

Thanks, phenomenalone and Emily!

Posted by Boy Genius

12-02-09 11:29 PM
    I'm sure people are already aware of what open source is. A lot of us could give a rat's *** about hardcore customization, otherwise everyone would have an Android phone. The bottom line is that Blackberries continue to sell (and outsell Android phones) because they are way more reliable. Maybe when the Android OS matures and they get better quality hardware phones (Passion?) then they will put a dent in RIM/Apple.
    Wrong, Blackberries have been around a lot longer than Android phones and that's the ONLY reason why they currently outsell them. That won't last though. Haha, come on, Android OS is so young, it's only been around for 2 years max right? And there are only 3 or 4 android phones that exist.
    12-03-09 12:49 AM
    I'm going to definitly hate on you a bit with giving the droid that status of making the daily life productivity statement. That is one of the sole reasons the berry was created to help the business world and anyone else who needs to be more productive while not at a computer, and its apps cater to that cause. I just checked my android marketplace and it productivity apps category hold a lot less apps then my app world, or winmo touch pro 2 marketplace.

Now you were right when you said the droid is a multimedia device, and the bb is an older build, but don't try and church it up, and make the droid that much better.

I have the droid and the 9700 do you?

Well when I had my Blackberry I didn't have access to 99% of the apps I do now with Android Market! So I don't know why Blackberry never pushed them. It wasn't until this summer that "Blackberry App World" surfaced or that I heard of it being marketed. I always wanted daily productivity apps with my blackberry but could never find any. It always gave me the impression it was a business only device without any options for productivity and efficient daily life use. Maybe those apps were hidden from consumer grade users?
    12-03-09 12:56 AM
    I love how rim outsells android lol. Rims been around since 97 I believe correct me if I'm wrong. Android has been around for 2 years tops. So I would definitely say rim isn't so hot anymore. Take a lot of these big corporations off of rim and they would instantly fall flat on there face! And I've said before I loved my blackberry and it is a great device but now I have a phone I don't have to be pulling batteries out of or deal with it freezing up oh and wait for software leaks to make it work the way it should have I'm THRILLED! The Droid may need a update or two but I haven't had to pull a battery since I got it or had a freeze up once. So say what you want rim needs to update there tired OS cause it is boring and unacceptable in a world that technology changes and gets better daily! Its like driving a Yugo when you can have a Mercedes for 50 dollars more.

Last edited by freakboy2539; 12-03-09 at 06:02 PM.
    12-03-09 01:46 AM
    Well, I tested the Driod from my pal the other night. Its huge, and the interface gave me a headache it had so many icons. I played with the browser for a bit, and its nice. The build quality feels really cheap.

And the Hero feels cheap too.

I am not impressed with Moto or HTC on these phones, and with Android as an OS.

12-03-09 08:04 AM
    Well, I tested the Driod from my pal the other night...
    When the Storm came out, I told anyone that used it to give three weeks before passing judgment. Everyone I know who first "tested" the Storm had tremendous trouble with the virtual keyboard. That said, I can now type in portrait mode with SurePress as quickly as I can on a normal keyboard. (That's after having the Storm for over a year).

I tried a Droid for 3 days. The 1st day I hated it. The 2nd day I liked it. By the 3rd day I loved it. If you test a friend's for a few minutes or play with it in the store, you haven't given yourself a fair evaluation of the phone.
    12-03-09 08:09 AM
    The build quality feels really cheap.
    Haha, are you kidding me? The phone is built like a beast!! Just holding it in your hand you can feel the weight of the construction of it. You can tell they used real metal and solid construction! I don't care about having a featherweight phone, and I don't want a brick either. But this phone is a perfect middle ground of size, weight and clear solid duty design.
    12-03-09 08:52 AM
    I would have to agree that I haven't been around this phone for longer than 15 minutes. So I will only pass my own judgments based on those 15 minutes. lol. I am not used to the touch screen interface, and it just doesn't feel right in my hands as a BlackBerry would.

Grant it if I try it out for longer than 15 minutes, I am sure I would disagree with my own statement if I actually liked the product.
    12-03-09 09:31 AM
299 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD