Just got my Droid Eris Yesterday... What I am missing already is the multiple sound notifications for Text/email/facebook/etc...

also I miss the multiple ringer notifications. . . I really liked the phone call only option.
    01-06-10 09:31 PM
    I'm not gonna lie. I've got a Tour, and my wife just swapped her Storm for the Droid. I am completely green with envy. The thing is just amazing, and blows my tour out of the water in nearly every department.

The biggest thing, is the speed of the device, and web browsing. Those are things I do regularly on my tour that are painful. The Droid is ridiculously fast - I can't believe how much quicker everything is. I can't do anything on my tour without the little circle showing up, very frusterating.

I use gmail primarily for email so I think the Droid would be a great phone for me. All my other accounts go through Gmail. Likewise, I use google calendars for my schedules.

The one thing that bugs me a bit is the lack of a good "notification" system but it seems this can be handeld with apps in the marketplace. I think the Droid bests the Tour in almost every way, except for perhaps people who are literally messaging constantly all day. For someone likes me who likes a lot of non-messaging features as well as messaging features, I think the droid kicks ***.

I'm trying to find a way to unload my tour now :P Sorry, but I'm sick of Blackberry OS, battery pulls, speed issues, and 8 minute startup times.

The number one thing I noticed right off the bat is the speed of it... I love it. I love clicking something and have it pop up without having to wait for..e...v...ee...rr...
    01-07-10 09:34 AM
    ^^ if you have not already, i would updgrade to the .419 leak for the Tour. It has definitely made me enjoy my 9630 a lot more since i installed it, and it will keep me happy until i am able to use my VZW upgrade for a droid. My brother has a droid, and he has never had any issues with battery life. I wont be using corporate email on it, so i can avoid any issues that may revolve around using that feature. the battery life was greatly improved with the 2.0.1 update. i'm really looking forward to the improvements of 2.1 when it is released.
    01-07-10 10:20 AM
    Yeah I'm not using corporate email either, although I do runa business part-time and use my phone for all that stuff. I typicallyr ead my email on my phone but usually am responding via the gmail website.

I just submitted an offer on a brand-new Droid on eBay for $320 and it was accepted. I hope it's legit , lol.
    01-07-10 10:41 AM
    Its not.. Keep loving your blackberry
    i lol'd. but i agree.
    01-07-10 03:09 PM
    I think rim should stick to what they know best. There is NO way they can compete with iphone, nexus or droid. But these phones rely on apps, I use my bb for emails and work. Not worried about apps. Why do rim try to play catch up. I wish they would stick to what they know. One question, if these other phones did not have apps market, would they be as good?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 02:10 AM
    VZW let me do a very early upgrade to the Eris about 3 days ago. So far I am really enjoying it. I have downloaded a bunch of apps, all equivalent to the apps that I used on my BB plus a few more. I managed to get all my email setup with no problems, except for Exchange, but it is a personal phone so work email isn't that important to me. I'll tinker with our servers to figure out why I can't do it. Battery life is getting better, as it did with my Storm, it took a few days to train the battery. Web browsing is awesome, you can actually load a page in less than 3 seconds, never happened on the Storm. Another thing that I liked about the phone was that since I put in my Google account info when they activated it, all my contacts, email, and calendar were synced up before I left the store.

My personal favorite, no battery pulls and if BIS goes down it means nothing.

I liked BB, I still kind of miss push email, but I can wait for IMAP and the native GMail app feels like it is almost push.

Everyone has their preference though
    01-08-10 05:53 AM
    hmm, well this thread does make me a little sad since I am about to take delivery of my first ever Blackberry, and my first ever smart phone.

But then I come back to the reason I picked a Bold, I much prefer buttons than touch screen. I think all droid phones are touch screen only.

Also, battery usage, trouble with big screens and millions of apps is their battery consumption, the Bold had a very good review on batt usage.

In all fairness though Android Is a new product, and the iPhone is still a relativly new product also.. BB Have been around for donkeys, so I'm expecting my BB to be a tough reliable sturdy phone that will last me a long time.
    01-08-10 07:48 AM
    There's nothing wrong with BB. It just wasn't for me, that's all. The Moto Droid has a QWERTY keyboard though btw. Enjoy your BB
    01-08-10 09:56 AM
    I also won't be going back to bb after having an iPhone and a android phone the bb is just to old of an os and I dunno what it is about it but I'm not liking it as much ne more so I'm staying with android and iPhone untill bb atleast gets a better browser
    01-08-10 12:17 PM
    hmm, well this thread does make me a little sad since I am about to take delivery of my first ever Blackberry, and my first ever smart phone.

But then I come back to the reason I picked a Bold, I much prefer buttons than touch screen. I think all droid phones are touch screen only.

Also, battery usage, trouble with big screens and millions of apps is their battery consumption, the Bold had a very good review on batt usage.

In all fairness though Android Is a new product, and the iPhone is still a relativly new product also.. BB Have been around for donkeys, so I'm expecting my BB to be a tough reliable sturdy phone that will last me a long time.
    Don't worry about that. You my friend have got your self la creme de la creme ( that's a 9700 i see next to your name ). This phone is anything but slow....I might even say it fly's..... 0 lag, never have to do a battery pull. It does everything i need my phone to do and it does it amazing. Now that said if you need a phone for browsing the web then the 9700 is not made for that. If it's to do some google searching and some reading it's great but it's not the best browser on the market. If you like apps..... it has not like the iphone but it has some good ones ( personally, I am not a big app person, I only use what i really need). It's all about your needs in a phone.

I would NEVER trade my berry for any Droid nor Iphone ( used the iphone for 6 months )
    01-08-10 01:53 PM
    storm 2
    01-08-10 02:07 PM
    ... One question, if these other phones did not have apps market, would they be as good?

.... No. .....
    01-15-10 01:12 PM
    the grass is always greener and the newest phone release is always the greatest thing ever till reality sets in
    01-15-10 01:30 PM
    Ive used both. Blackberry is great for business users who use their phones for their livelihood. ex. (my friend who owns his own business, and does sales.)

Android is great for people who like different looks all the time. Great for techies or people who like the new and latest. Fun but sometimes difficult.

I think blackberry could use some tune-ups and if there was an android/BB mix it would be the best device by far.
    01-15-10 01:48 PM
    If the nexus one is what its supposed to be and when it hits verizon Im probably going to be trading up. The droid didnt attract me because of the crappy keyboard and just doesnt look too good IMO.
    01-15-10 01:54 PM
    Was wondering when I would see this one again
    01-15-10 01:55 PM
    God knows I love my Blackberry...... But can someone tell me why the new Droid from Verizon may....... be better?
    Its actually not better, just different. It offers a touchscreen and it has a really good browser, but it doesn't handle messaging nearly as well.

01-15-10 07:35 PM
    Hmm, I had the Droid Eris for about two days, loved it, great looking, very responsive touch, fun apps, had a good camera, but the battery was horrible & the touch screen wasn't for me b/c I text too much. It didn't handle messaging very well. But the fun factor was out the roof! Great browser as well. I was thinking about jumping to the Droid, but I hate Motorola & love my Tour. It's just Blackberry never changes. They make a few minor cosmetic changes & call it a new phone. Idk.
    01-16-10 09:51 PM
    I played with the Droid for a long time as well. I sold BB and have no exp selling Droid. I love BB I do use is for personal and I am loving it. I don't have any issues with it and for me it is perfect. I do have one brother who has it and he likes all the apps and whistles but he wishes it wasn't so bulky and it has frozen on him. He isn't fond of the size but as for everything else, still learning. At first he was going to get the Tour Now, my other brother just left AT&T 3 weeks ago. He is in real estate and I had suggested the Tour. He got it and although he has had a learning curve he is getting used to it and likes it. Neither of them are all that tech savvy when it comes to phones and that surprises me about The Droid. Both my brothers don't have much patience HA
    01-16-10 11:09 PM
    I looked very hard at the two Android phones currently offered by Sprint, and after three months of research and going back and forth I decided to stay with BB. Yes Droid phones are pretty slick with their web browsing and apps, but like the iPhones, there is a lot of drawbacks. Biggest one: battery life. I looked at the Hero (HTC) and the Moment (Samsung), both have MAJOR battery drain issues. We are talking a full drain in only 4 hours of casual use in some cases. There is also a lot of bugs with the Hero's new HTC/Droid hybrid UI, and the Moment was running a nearly two year old version of the OS, depending solely on upgraded hardware. This seems to be the MO on all of the new Droid devices, no matter the carrier. They either have a lot of bugs due to rushed out UI and OS upgrades, or they are way behind with new untested hardware. Just look at all of the bad press surrounding Google's new Nexus One. The sales kid could have had a big day off of me, but instead suggested the cheaper (with contract extension) Curve or Tour because they were more dependable. Plain and simple.

I think Google has huge potential in the future, but honestly, if you get a decent Webkit browser in a BB, which would you pick?
    Last edited by NVBigD; 01-18-10 at 05:58 PM.
    01-18-10 05:55 PM
    For those that HAVE a BB, I dont see the incentive to switch to Android.
    Customization? Once you open up the main app menu screen on a BB, isnt everything right there for you anyway? and you can rearrange as much as you like...
    The "open-ness" of android? .. so what? all these apps that people come up with? It will turn like the iphone were a MAJORITY of them are pretty pointless.
    The ones on android that are GOOD, BB probably also has some sort of variant to DL as well.
    Blackberry's are more reliable than HTCs and Moto's. (lol at motorola and reliable in the same sentence).

But for a first time user, I do see it as a VERY tough decision between the two platforms!

my point is that I dont see a reason why a BB user would really want to switch over. Really ... the phones can do the exact same things... they just do them their own way.
    01-24-10 11:04 PM
    Use Opera browser. MUCH better than the BB browser.
    I dont know why an average person would need or want to play Pokemon on their phone...
    01-24-10 11:49 PM
    I own a BB and I will say DROID
    01-25-10 12:04 AM
    why is that?
    01-25-10 12:17 AM
299 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD