God knows I love my Blackberry...... But can someone tell me why the new Droid from Verizon may....... be better?
    11-07-09 07:48 PM
    Its not.. Keep loving your blackberry
    11-07-09 07:50 PM
    It depends on what you wanna do; Droid does a lot. If you're a business user, the Blackberry can't be beaten, and I'm sure most people here will agree. But the Droid is better for someone who wants to do more then just email and check the occasional webpage on their phone- apps, etc. Android has got a lot of potential. I could go into a lot more detail, but basically, it depends on what you want to do with your phone.
    11-07-09 08:15 PM
    God knows I love my Blackberry...... But can someone tell me why the new Droid from Verizon may....... be better?
    I love my 8900 but let's be honest - - - Open development, personal memory managment, Android Market - tons of applications. Just to name a few.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 08:17 PM
    Its not.. Keep loving your blackberry
    I'll second this. While it may offer prettier web browsing, and open development (even though there is no such thing IMO), and a bunch of apps, but I don't think that the Android platform is going to "dethrone" RIM, much less rip people away from the iPhone. I think that people who are unhappy with their BB's or iPhones will give the Droid a shot, and who knows, maybe it'll be a match made in smartphone heaven, but I think that the rest of us who couldn't be happier with their BB's won't consider the change. I like what my BB does, the way it operates, the UI, the stability, the layout (still hands down the best design for a smartphone), and I won't consider the Droid, or the iPhone, or the G1, or the Windows Phone, I've found the device that does everything I want it to.
    How are the messaging capabilities of the Droid anyways? I could care less about 10,000 apps and open development, how well does it handle the things I do every day. I haven't heard of a device that can do it like my BB.

Just my opinion...

11-07-09 10:42 PM
    Yeah, Really don't think I am gonna be switching to the Droid.If anything I will Up grade to the curve 8530 or Tour come Jan. By then the Tours up grade may be out soon by then. Thanks for the replays ya all prertty much told me what I knew all along which would be BLACKBERRY ROCKS!
    11-08-09 03:17 PM
    Ive been a longtime blackberry user, and I use mine for business daily. I got to mess with the Droid for a few days and I have to say it completely blows blackberry out of the water. Its faster, has more options, open development, an OS that doesnt slow down, lock up, or freeze on me. I dont have to constantly watch my memory, and the messaging is great (only thing im gonna miss is BBM). Needless to say I was sad to give it back, and now I have to wait a few days to get mine. I like my tour dont get me wrong, and unless you get to mess with the Droid the BB OS will feel great. But once you play with Android there is no looking back.

Edit 1: Oh and dont forget that you dont have to deal with Truncated E-mail like you have to do with Blackberry, which is amazing.
    11-08-09 03:29 PM
    A side by side video comparison of Droid vs S2 I found on Google clearly showed webpages to load about 100X faster on Droid than on the BB using the same 3G network. It really wasn't a contest. The higher res Droid screen was also a clear advantage for Droid for both web browsing and anyone who uses their device as a personal photo album or movie theater. However, S2 appeared better for text entry and email -- very key functions.
    11-09-09 12:17 PM
    I love my Bold but the Droid does have a lot to offer...if I didn't have my Bold (and AT&T offered it), I would have the droid....it all depends on what you want from your mobile device.
    11-09-09 12:29 PM
    figures i'd get a shi-tty a.s.s bb a few months before something like the Droid comes out on Verizon
    11-09-09 12:50 PM
    figures i'd get a shi-tty a.s.s bb a few months before something like the Droid comes out on Verizon
    It is not only you, it is part of a consumer society. It is the same thing about cars, clothing, all sorts of electonics, computers in particular don't you agree. I am sure if you were to get the Droid, a month later something "cool" will come out.
    11-09-09 02:38 PM
    scrap the tour on ebay and buy the droid then!
    11-09-09 02:42 PM
    Today is a game changer for blackberry. With all the announcements today at devcon, all the ways that berry was lacking will now vanish. Open GL, push api, location service api, adobe announcement, java ui, etc. I haven't been this excited for RIM for a long time.

11-09-09 02:43 PM
    Today is a game changer for blackberry. With all the announcements today at devcon, all the ways that berry was lacking will now vanish. Open GL, push api, location service api, adobe announcement, java ui, etc. I haven't been this excited for RIM for a long time.

Only time will tell.
    11-09-09 02:46 PM
    Edit 1: Oh and dont forget that you dont have to deal with Truncated E-mail like you have to do with Blackberry, which is amazing.
    I have seen this posted a few times here on CB and other forums, but not sure what it means. I have yet to get a Truncated E-mail, forwarded or otherwise, unless it was a PDF file in the body of the email. So far in one over a year that has been one, and I sent that to myself to test out an app.

So when you say your BB gets Truncated E-mails, what are you saying?

Also in my year + of use on my 8320, I have not had the OS freeze, slow down or lockup on me. Well unless you count upgrading the OS and waiting for it to reboot the system the last time.

But I'm sure like all other platforms, we'll hear about the pros and cons from the daily users soon enough.
    11-09-09 02:47 PM
    I have been a "defender" of the BlackBerry name since I first picked mine up. I thought the device was built solid and couldn't be beat. Then I met my first Droid. There is no comparison anymore. The Droids stomp BB into the ground.
    11-09-09 02:53 PM
    Truncated e-mails are just e-mails that are too large to push to your BB. Mostly, it happens when an e-mail has a HUGE attachment, that's way too large to make the transition to your BB, usually forwards of some kind.
    11-09-09 02:54 PM
    It is not only you, it is part of a consumer society. It is the same thing about cars, clothing, all sorts of electonics, computers in particular don't you agree. I am sure if you were to get the Droid, a month later something "cool" will come out.
    Exactly......
    11-09-09 03:05 PM
    Truncated e-mails are just e-mails that are too large to push to your BB. Mostly, it happens when an e-mail has a HUGE attachment, that's way too large to make the transition to your BB, usually forwards of some kind.

Ahhh.... I guess I have yet to get an email with a 20+ gig attachment yet. (I remember those days). But then the people that would send me a huge attachment, are smart enough to send it to my main email address rather than my BB address. And most tend to send me links for files that are over a gig anyway. (gotta train the people you communicate with.... it saves on hair pulling).

But I suppose the same problem with truncated e-mails, would happen to any smartphone, once the email size got beyond what the phones memory could handle, even Droids.
    11-09-09 03:06 PM
    Also in my year + of use on my 8320, I have not had the OS freeze, slow down or lockup on me.
    Wow, wish I could say that! For my Storm, those are daily events that I've had to accept as part of having a BB.

The browser on a BB is a joke, memory management is a constant problem, and still no folder support for email. Unbelievable. Yeah, I'm going to give the Droid a serious look as soon as Big Red gives me a price break.

Push email? Nice but I can seriously wait a few minutes to pull my email if I can view a web page without getting an error. If it's that important, call me or text me.
    11-09-09 03:15 PM
    Originally Posted by dcgore
    Exactly......
    I would have to agree as well. There are always going to be neat and interesting things that will catch my eye, but unlike some of the uber rich folks in the world, I don't have the time or the money to get all they things I'd like to dabble with/in, and if I spent most of my spare time jumping to the next new thing, I would never get anything done. And I'd never get to know anything in depth about any of the things I did get, because I was always be onto the next new thing.

Magpie syndrome would have struck yet again... "Pretty... pretty... shiny shiny... gimmie gimmie" or as the seagulls say... "MINE!"

The one thing I wish that the cell phone makers would adopt, is sim card access without having to open the phone.
    11-09-09 03:20 PM
    And the Droid boots up in like 30-40 seconds.

11-09-09 03:21 PM

Yeah? And about the time there's a BlackBerry that has something to offer that takes advantage of all (or any) of that, it'll be time to upgrade phones again anyway. So in the meantime, it's a matter of what is the best available TODAY?

I'm going to a VZW store after work today to play with a Droid....
    11-09-09 03:27 PM
    I would have to agree as well. There are always going to be neat and interesting things that will catch my eye, but unlike some of the uber rich folks in the world, I don't have the time or the money to get all they things I'd like to dabble with/in, and if I spent most of my spare time jumping to the next new thing, I would never get anything done. And I'd never get to know anything in depth about any of the things I did get, because I was always be onto the next new thing.

Magpie syndrome would have struck yet again... "Pretty... pretty... shiny shiny... gimmie gimmie" or as the seagulls say... "MINE!"

The one thing I wish that the cell phone makers would adopt, is sim card access without having to open the phone.
    The HTC Touch Diamond and the HTC Dual Touch I owned both of those ..... im just saying
    11-09-09 03:28 PM
    So when you say your BB gets Truncated E-mails, what are you saying?
    Get somebody to email you an MP3 file to check out. Receive it and listen to it on your BB. If it's over 3 MB, you won't be able to.

Pisses me off all the time 'cause the guys in my band frequently send me MP3s to new songs they want us to learn and most of the time I can't do anything with 'em on my BB and have to wait until I'm at a real computer.

Of course, same problem if somebody sends you a PDF over 3 MB that you want to view. Or any other attachment over 3MB.
    11-09-09 03:29 PM
299 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD