im not really sure if this belongs here but my contract with verizon is up tuesday and im debating between the droid pro and the blackberry bold 9650 6.0 os. i know this is a blackberry forum but if you say no to the droid pro id like expirence with before you bash it. as of right now i have an htc ozone windows phone. thank you
    I can't comment on the Droid Pro directly. I can comment on my experience with the Android OS however (using the Droid X), and I still have my Bold 9650.

I've been on a tear to try new stuff lately. I picked up a Pre 2 the day it came out and tried it for a week. Love webOS, but gave it back due to instability with the IM client. Everything else was top notch however, and if/when the Pre 3 drops, I'm likely to pick it up.

I picked up a Droid X off contract on Friday, and set it up. Took no time at all to set up, and PIM integration was smooth, if not messy. My main gripe with the Android set-up: you have to do the Gmail set up first, and it didn't give me the option to de-select contact sync during the initial set up (I have hosted Exchange with current information). So, that rubbed me the wrong way because my Gmail contacts are well out of date and generally speaking, I upload to them about once a year (my stuff is already backed up so...).

The next thing was making use of the Motorola widgets. Some of them I found quite useful. You don't have to use them at all, but some of them were pretty good. I downloaded some of the apps I knew I would use and need to have (Y! IM is one). So far so good. The Android browser is excellent. Email through exchange is functional (a couple hiccups but I'll blame that on PEBKAC), and gmail is spot on. Yahoo mail was functional but clearly not in the same performance range as the other two (exchange is work, and Yahoo has been my primary for years). So, I was at a little bit of a disadvantage in that I was not willing or able (in practical terms) to "give myself over" to the "google experience".

I can't explain what happened, but it was as if there was a cascading affect on performance in just a couple of days - the keyboard response was the main indicator, switching between screens was another - the thing just started to act like it was stuck in some studdery non-responsive warp. I think it was related to Yahoo IM client, but I don't know for sure. Battery pulls didn't help, nothing in the application management raised any flags that I could see. It literally became a chore. It was returned today.

Now granted, the Droid Pro has a physical QWERTY, so I won't pass judgement on that. But for whatever reason, the hardware seemed totally overwhelmed by some kind of demon. Today, I gave it back, and re-activated my Bold, enterprise set up and everything took less than 30 minutes back to the crackberry.

What I liked a lot about the Android OS: it is responsive (when not hindered), PIM integration is very nice (I think webOS is better at it though) and it's a nice overall experience. The facebook application is the best I've seen (though notifications weren't 100%) in overall what it supports. Very nicely done.

What I did not like about Android OS: there were times where the Exchange sync was not working properly, and given how prevalent such a platform is, it's unforgivable for that to not work perfectly with any smart device. The app store is full of good stuff, but I literally have to verify if a specific device will be compatible. There is stuff out there that won't work with certain hardware based on manufacturer or even a difference between OS 2.1 or 2.2 (not an uncommon occurrence, but it represents fragmentation at a level that doesn't exist elsewhere so vastly). Seven home screens, I just couldn't get myself to grasp it. I found solid function between four of them.

In the end, I'm a business user first, and the social stuff helps with some of that. I think if you use it for business in a hosted environment, you'll find some nice features. In my opinion, Android is not ready for prime time in the enterprise environment or even a small business with hosted exchange and moderate connectivity.

If my priorities were the social media, web browsing, email with gmail only, and tinkering with rooting, etc., the Android is the right stuff. It's impressive and not nearly as "busy" as I feared. If your priority is communication as a whole, I think BlackBerry is your ticket.

If you can hold on to what you have for a few more months, I think you'll find some pretty appealing options. The most tempting one for me will be the Pre 3, and whatever they call the next touchscreen BB (Storm 3-ish). When/if WP7 comes to Verizon, I'll probably check that out just to get it out of my system, but so far the only thing that has made me seriously consider giving up BB (even with the IM issues) was the Pre 2 and webOS. That's saying something.

I would take your time in a store and check them out, but I think it would be worth the wait till this summer.
    Last edited by Gawain; 03-15-11 at 12:27 AM.
    MannyGeee likes this.
    03-15-11 12:24 AM
    I agree with Gawain 100%. When my company switched from Sprint to Big Red last August, I went with the Storm 2 from an 8330. I liked the touch screen and the reliability that BlackBerry's offer. The S2 had horrible phone quality though, apparently a know fact that I missed reading about. I returned it and went with Motorola's Droid 2. It has a slider that I thought I would like since I didn't really care for typing on ithe D2's touchscreen. Came to hate both. The Droid's definitely have some very useful and fun free apps. But I started having issues with emails not being pushed in a timely manner or sometimes not at all. This is a bigger concern than apps for me. If you rely heavily on emails, im, and phone calls then I really think BB is the way to go. I gave the droid to my wife and have picked up a Bold. Very happy I came back. I still get to play with the droid and it definitely has better apps and web browsing is outstanding but is doesn't have the reliability of BB IMHO. I do some browsing on my BB it is slower than I would like but it does the job when I need it. If BB could get there act together on this then I think it would really bring them back in the game. Both of my partners have the D2 and stumble with menus and other hiccups from time to time. I also learned that some of my issues may strictly be Motorola issues. My sister got the Incredible. To me its seems more functional than the D2 but I have had very limited time with it. In the end it is all about personal preference. Got to the store and Play till they kick you out. Then try one and make your decision before the end of the 2 weeks. Good Luck. I am really hoping that BB comes through this summer with the S3.
    03-15-11 07:34 AM
    I'd definitely go with the Bold. Droid Pro is slow and the battery dies within 4 hours of use.
    03-15-11 10:53 AM
    I'd definitely go with the Bold. Droid Pro is slow and the battery dies within 4 hours of use.
    How is the Pro slow? Its definitely faster than my 9650 was.
    03-15-11 11:25 AM
    i got my 9650 in december and i love it

I am a first time BB buyer and it was between the pro and th 9650...
    03-15-11 01:02 PM
    i went to the verizon store lastnight and played around with phones again and now its between the bold, pro and now the r2d2. i a little worried with going with the r2d2 cuz of the problems with the droid 2. have they fixed the problems when they made the r2d2?
    03-15-11 03:44 PM
    i think the r2d2 is the same phone as the droid 2 with the exact same software, only some flashy casing changes but dont quote me on that
    Last edited by howarmat; 03-15-11 at 04:24 PM.
    03-15-11 04:10 PM
    the r2d2 has 8gb flash/512 ram. not sure what that means compared to the pro with 2gb internal while the bold has 512 flash and ram
    03-15-11 04:17 PM
    What is keeping you from other high end new Android phones such as the Atrix, which is supposed to be amazing?

Personally me, I would wait till the new BB's come out as I am not one for all the glitz and glam, hence why I came back to BB awhile ago and my 9700, which still is my favorite phone to date.

9650 is nice, but a lot of new BB's are on the horizon. Bold Touch will be my next one...or maybe a S3 if it isn't exclusive to Big red...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-11 04:52 PM
    The "storm 3" is in testing and due for release with US cellular in June or July. Verizon usually gets phones a couple of months earlier. I'm pretty sure they will get it because all the leaked videos I've seen show it with Verizon branding.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-11 06:08 PM
    i hate full touch screen phones. i need some thing with a keyboard
    03-15-11 07:46 PM
    well im on my 2nd droid pro since march 16th and still having problems with the my 2nd pro. so my 14 days arent up with verizon to change phones yet so im now considering the r2d2 vs bb bold 9650 os 6
    03-27-11 06:15 PM
    i was told verizon doesnt have the 30 day return. i believe its 14 or 15 days now
    I was told @ Xmas time that there is still a 30 day try it out clause for both the phone and the line.
    03-28-11 09:32 AM
    I was told @ Xmas time that there is still a 30 day try it out clause for both the phone and the line.
    The policy changed to 14 days on January 16, 2011.
    03-28-11 09:34 AM
    The policy changed to 14 days on January 16, 2011.
    BOOOOO

get a cheap phone to hold you over for a few months. then check out the bold touch....dont waste your money on a 9650 unless you can get one for $50
    For the record I was just on amazonwireless.com and Walmart.com and the 9650 with 5.0 installed as a penny with a contract renewal.

For what its worth, I am running a Curve 93xx for business use and it does everything good-to-very good from an email and call perspective. I was thinking of going Droid Pro, but based on this forum, I think Bold might be the way to go...

ooooooor wait until the next shiny thing from RIM shows up.
    Last edited by mg3787; 03-28-11 at 09:56 AM.
    03-28-11 09:50 AM
    zzzzzz...not me, Droid is looking better all the time.
    03-28-11 09:53 AM
    I was thinking of going Droid Pro, but based on this forum, I think Bold might be the way to go...
    I've been running the Pro for over 2 months and no problems what so ever. That is I've rooted the phone and havent really changed much either. It seems the OTA update might have fixed a lot of these known issues and then again I don't use my phone for corporate/business use. Not trying to hype up the phone just wondering how theres so many issues and I've yet to experience one.
    03-28-11 10:05 AM
    BOOOOO

For the record I was just on amazonwireless.com and Walmart.com and the 9650 with 5.0 installed as a penny with a contract renewal.

For what its worth, I am running a Curve 93xx for business use and it does everything good-to-very good from an email and call perspective. I was thinking of going Droid Pro, but based on this forum, I think Bold might be the way to go...

Just wait til summer my man. Good things are coming soon.
    03-28-11 10:18 AM
    well im on my 2nd droid pro since march 16th and still having problems with the my 2nd pro. so my 14 days arent up with verizon to change phones yet so im now considering the r2d2 vs bb bold 9650 os 6
    shoot. sorry to hear your misfortune. update us and let us know how it goes.
    03-28-11 10:19 AM
    my first pro i had for 4hrs and it just restarted itself constantly. the pro i have now in the week ive owned it restarted 2 or 3 times and when i txt my gf it shows up under other peoples name but shows up under her number. then when i turned it off and on after that it makes weird beeping noises on restart and shut down
    03-28-11 05:07 PM
    so now im thinking the r2d2 or the bold. i really like the android system but idk if i want to run into problems again
    03-28-11 05:08 PM
    i have till wednesday to decide on keeping the pro or get a different phone.......
    03-28-11 05:10 PM
    Man, that sounds awful.
    03-28-11 05:38 PM
    yeah it is. im not sure if i want to go with my 3rd pro in 2 weeks or switch over to another droid or go to a blackberry
    03-28-11 05:43 PM
    yeah it is. im not sure if i want to go with my 3rd pro in 2 weeks or switch over to another droid or go to a blackberry
    I mean you have til wednesday, you may want to decide soon. I def wouldn't go for a 3rd pro. I mean... 3? Sounds like my sidekick 3
    03-28-11 05:47 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD