but Blackberry is here to stay! I'd like to get your feelings on this. No poll, just your wise input. Thanks.
    11-12-09 03:30 PM
    but Blackberry is here to stay! I'd like to get your feelings on this. No poll, just your wise input. Thanks.
    the droid is better than the iphone, in everyway, it's the first major contender for apple, and will do well. it does everything a blackberry does, outside of push services, but it does push gmail. the only thing keeping me on blackberry is that i love blackberry messenger, this will only last so long tho, RIM has made it clear they're sticking with their same outdated OS and just putting BIGGER band-aids on it from here on out. their marketshare is declining and they're failing to support devices that are less than a year old. i honestly don't think RIM is in a good position to do anything other than end up having to sell to microsoft. i give it 2 years.
    11-12-09 03:54 PM
    the droid is better than the iphone, in everyway, it's the first major contender for apple, and will do well. it does everything a blackberry does, outside of push services, but it does push gmail. the only thing keeping me on blackberry is that i love blackberry messenger, this will only last so long tho, RIM has made it clear they're sticking with their same outdated OS and just putting BIGGER band-aids on it from here on out. their marketshare is declining and they're failing to support devices that are less than a year old. i honestly don't think RIM is in a good position to do anything other than end up having to sell to microsoft. i give it 2 years.
    LMAO...... It'll be a cold day in **** b4 RIM sells to MS
    11-12-09 04:24 PM
    if their market share continues to decline what else are they gonna do? WINMO is irrelevant at this point, so you know microsoft is gonna be looking to eat somebody up.
    11-12-09 04:25 PM
    if their market share continues to decline what else are they gonna do? WINMO is irrelevant at this point, so you know microsoft is gonna be looking to eat somebody up.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on the marketshare part, but personally think RIM would sink their own ship than to sellout to MS.
    11-12-09 04:28 PM
    I honestly think the year ahead is going to be much different for RIM, now that they've got the hardware issues 95% straightened out with the Storm and with the hardware improvements, I think we'll see a huge change with software and what the hardware is capable of handling...just my opinion
    11-12-09 04:30 PM
    Where do peeps get this BS about there market share shrinking???

Do me a favour read a business magazine once in your life, they have one of the fastest growing market caps of any company on the Nasdaq, why do you think apple does everything in there power to copy features bb has had for years?

And please jesus phone #2 (Droid) users give it a rest...Moto, has a looong way to become a serious contender in the big picture...1 phone will not turn anyone around.
    11-12-09 04:30 PM
    Really? Name one device RIM doesn't support.

As for the OS, RIM has made great strides. UI is solid. Functionity is solid. Just lacks the "Flair" which for some reason is what most critics on CB seem to look for.

As to the OP... The Droid isn't a "gimmick" phone. It's an honest attempt to push further into the smartphone market, and is doing it very well. Myself personally, I believe while the OS is great, they could have done better than going with Motorola. Motorola has never been famous for stellar hardware design. At least from a user standpoint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 04:32 PM
    Wow. I'm loving the input so far. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this thread. Learning a lot as well. Let's keep it going.
    11-12-09 04:37 PM
    Do you at all keep up with the financial market?
    11-12-09 04:51 PM
    Plenty of room in the marketplace for both. There will always be the blackberry clingers who believe RIM can do no wrong and there will always be people who are looking for the next best thing.
    11-12-09 04:53 PM
    Do you at all keep up with the financial market?
    Could you enlighten us a little?
    11-12-09 04:54 PM
    Really? Name one device RIM doesn't support.

As for the OS, RIM has made great strides. UI is solid. Functionity is solid. Just lacks the "Flair" which for some reason is what most critics on CB seem to look for.

As to the OP... The Droid isn't a "gimmick" phone. It's an honest attempt to push further into the smartphone market, and is doing it very well. Myself personally, I believe while the OS is great, they could have done better than going with Motorola. Motorola has never been famous for stellar hardware design. At least from a user standpoint.

"Motorola has never been famous for stellar hardware design. At least from a user standpoint"

wrong motorola at one point was 1 of the best phone makers if not the best, think back to the 90's "Motorola Startac" was one of the best phones they have made. i remember that phone on launch cost 1000.00 dollars, great quaility made phone, and was 1 if not the best reception phone.
    11-12-09 05:04 PM
    "Motorola has never been famous for stellar hardware design. At least from a user standpoint"

wrong motorola at one point was 1 of the best phone makers if not the best, think back to the 90's "Motorola Startac" was one of the best phones they have made. i remember that phone on launch cost 1000.00 dollars, great quaility made phone, and was 1 if not the best reception phone.
    not since circa 2001 has motorola made a quality phone, even the razr which was a huge success had a terrible OS and hardware that broke, notoriously, motorola didn't design the droid, the pretty much did what google told them to do.
    11-12-09 05:07 PM
    And lose millions? Do you think that the owners at RIM are stupid? It is all about the green!

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on the marketshare part, but personally think RIM would sink their own ship than to sellout to MS.
    11-12-09 05:13 PM
    not since circa 2001 has motorola made a quality phone, even the razr which was a huge success had a terrible OS and hardware that broke, notoriously, motorola didn't design the droid, the pretty much did what google told them to do.
    Hey Katiepa, i clearly stated 90's not 2001
    11-12-09 05:16 PM

You're comparing apples to oranges by digging back into the 90's. Motorola
    was making cell phones, not smart phones. Katie is right though, Google told
    them how to make it.
    11-12-09 05:19 PM
    It is inevitable that RIM's % market share will reduce. A few years ago there was only RIM, no competitors = absolute dominance. As others see the opportunity and launch competing products it is expected that the share of the cake becomes more evenly distributed. Ford saw exactly the same happen, at one time they had a monopoly in affordable mass produced cars. They are now holding a much smaller share of the market, and still doing reasonably well unlike some of their competitors.

Now look at the market in terms of boxes sold (or sales revenue, or devices in daily service). I think you will find the trend shows RIM is generally enjoying positive growth over the last few years. I don't expect an established player to match the initial growth of a new entrant, but I think all the new rocket performers will slip back to growth rates similar to RIM as they find their share of the market.
    11-12-09 05:25 PM
    It is inevitable that RIM's % market share will reduce. A few years ago there was only RIM, no competitors = absolute dominance. As others see the opportunity and launch competing products it is expected that the share of the cake becomes more evenly distributed. Ford saw exactly the same happen, at one time they had a monopoly in affordable mass produced cars. They are now holding a much smaller share of the market, and still doing reasonably well unlike some of their competitors.

Now look at the market in terms of boxes sold (or sales revenue, or devices in daily service). I think you will find the trend shows RIM is generally enjoying positive growth over the last few years. I don't expect an established player to match the initial growth of a new entrant, but I think all the new rocket performers will slip back to growth rates similar to RIM as they find their share of the market.
    i completely agree, however cars are something more of an investment, and with the tech/gadget field, if you're not dominant you're disposable, right now you tell me where RIM is.
    11-12-09 05:27 PM
    I honestly think the year ahead is going to be much different for RIM, now that they've got the hardware issues 95% straightened out with the Storm and with the hardware improvements, I think we'll see a huge change with software and what the hardware is capable of handling...just my opinion
    95%? Really? I doubt that. These forums tell a different story, my friend.
    11-12-09 05:28 PM
    95%? Really? I doubt that. These forums tell a different story, my friend.
    these forums are for enthusiasts, nitpickers, if these forums were a reflection of how rim is doing they'd have been out of business 2 years ago.
    11-12-09 05:30 PM
    Droid on a BlackBerry. Nuff said.

11-12-09 06:17 PM
    Droid on a BlackBerry. Nuff said.

Yeah, I think the simple answer is the best one. What better way for Eric
    Schmidt to stick it to Apple after what happened a few months ago then to
    begin making an OS for RIM.
    11-12-09 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD