Forget developers writing apps as without a consumer market the playing field is dead as most corporations lock down the devices and don't allow 3rd party apps like my company. This leaves very little incentive to develop consumer apps for Blackberry

BlackBerry maker to cede most consumer markets - Yahoo! Finance

TORONTO (AP) -- Struggling BlackBerry maker Research in Motion Ltd. said Thursday that it will cede most consumer markets after failing to compete with flashier touch-screen phones such as Apple's iPhone and models that run Google's Android software.

Instead, RIM said it will return to its roots and focus on business customers, many of whom prefer BlackBerrys for their security. RIM has had limited success trying to enter consumer markets in recent years, and RIM CEO Thorsten Heins said a turnaround required "substantial change."

"We plan to refocus on the enterprise business and capitalize on our leading position in this segment," Heins said. "We believe that BlackBerry cannot succeed if we tried to be everybody's darling and all things to all people. Therefore, we plan to build on our strength."
    03-29-12 04:55 PM
    I think this might be a good idea. I don't know how it will play out, but I think RIM can be a decent #4 after Apple, Google and Microsoft.
    03-29-12 05:04 PM
    I think this might be a good idea. I don't know how it will play out, but I think RIM can be a decent #4 after Apple, Google and Microsoft.
    Doubt Microsoft overtakes them any time soon, even with this decision.
    03-29-12 05:06 PM
    It's all about small goals. They can't do it all at once! I still believe in rim
    03-29-12 05:11 PM
    03-29-12 05:13 PM
    i wouldn't listen to the article - the author didn't get it.
    They were talking about building their own music store and movie store and that. they said that that is not their strenght - might as well just have someone like amazon do it instead.
    this article missed that point.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    03-29-12 05:14 PM
    I think this headline is an inaccurate, even silly, interpretation of what was said on the conference call.

The message I heard was that RIM cannot do it all, and needs strong partners for some of its market segments. Specifically, I think the video and music store intiatives will be cancelled. I wonder about the planned cloud initiative. RIM will look for partners for its phones in the consumer market rather than trying to do everything itself.

That is not "ceding" consumer markets ... in any case, in the U.S. RIM has a small consumer market to cede.
    03-29-12 05:15 PM
    i wouldn't listen to that. They were talking about building their own music store and movie store and that. they said that that is not their strenght - might as well just have someone like amazon do it instead.
    this article missed that point.
    They already HAVE strategic partnerships for music and video. Can't speak to the latter (I'm non-US), but 7digital for music is actually very good.
    03-29-12 05:16 PM
    I think this headline is an inaccurate, even silly, interpretation of what was said on the conference call.
    Agreed

Specifically, I think the video and music store intiatives will be cancelled.
    That's exactly how I interpreted what we heard today. The music and video stores will go away.
    03-29-12 05:20 PM
    Finally, thankfully! I'm very pleased with this (if it's true). I'm a BlackBerry user, and I neither care about nor want anything to do with the average consumer's priorities. I don't want my chosen platform dumbed down for idiotic consumers who think that security isn't important and that "Angry Birds" is. I hope this story is true, and I hope RIM quickly abandons all efforts to please such consumers.
    VeGiTo and daveycrocket like this.
    03-29-12 05:20 PM

The message I heard was that RIM cannot do it all, and needs strong partners for some of its market segments. Specifically, I think the video and music store intiatives will be cancelled. I wonder about the planned cloud initiative. RIM will look for partners for its phones in the consumer market rather than trying to do everything itself.

That is not "ceding" consumer markets ... in any case, in the U.S. RIM has a small consumer market to cede.
    I'm not trying to argue with you but how can cancelling, if RIM actually does this, the video and music store initiatives not be seen as anything else but "ceding" the consumer market?

The consumer market wants video/music stores; if these are not available on the device, consumers will turn elsewhere ergot if RIM should go through with cancelling the video/music store initiatives, they would have ceded the consumer market to other platforms.

Or, are you suggesting that RIM will not design it's own video/music store but instead rely/contract out to other media partners to do so?

Or did I completely misread what you meant?
    03-29-12 05:36 PM
    The headline is wrong. Thorsten didn't say anything about ceding anything.

They're looking for partners as they can't do it all. I think this is great

I would much rather see businesses working together.
    03-29-12 05:38 PM
    The consumer market wants video/music stores; if these are not available on the device, consumers will turn elsewhere ergot if RIM should go through with cancelling the video/music store initiatives, they would have ceded the consumer market to other platforms.
    It doesn't mean music and video stores won't be available on the device. It just means RIM won't be providing the service. There are numerous media outlets already available that are capable of providing all the BB consumer's needs, and RIM doesn't have to throw needless resources at it.
    Darlaten likes this.
    03-29-12 05:41 PM
    Well, if this stuff you people are reporting is true, that the article is bs, then I'm really disappointed ...
    03-29-12 05:43 PM
    It doesn't mean music and video stores won't be available on the device. It just means RIM won't be providing the service. There are numerous media outlets already available that are capable of providing all the BB consumer's needs, and RIM doesn't have to throw needless resources at it.
    True, but they do have to find a way to get those other media services to fully support their content on BB10 devices.
    jusdis likes this.
    03-29-12 05:44 PM
    If I'm correct RIM never provided these services. 7digital and someone else do for them. Am I wrong?
    03-29-12 05:46 PM
    If I'm correct RIM never provided these services. 7digital and someone else do for them. Am I wrong?
    No you're correct

Music and video is handled by other businesses just like Kobo isn't RIM either.
    03-29-12 05:58 PM
    No you're correct

Music and video is handled by other businesses just like Kobo isn't RIM either.
    So how did you interpret Heins' comment then that he intends to reduce RIM's investments in those areas?
    03-29-12 06:05 PM
    That is correct. But unless I'm mistaken, RIM/BB had more plans in development to further integrate and create their own market for music and movies etc.. Plans now defunct.
    03-29-12 06:06 PM
    Finally, thankfully! I'm very pleased with this (if it's true). I'm a BlackBerry user, and I neither care about nor want anything to do with the average consumer's priorities. I don't want my chosen platform dumbed down for idiotic consumers who think that security isn't important and that "Angry Birds" is. I hope this story is true, and I hope RIM quickly abandons all efforts to please such consumers.
    That's pretty ignorant. I'm a blackberry user as well and I love blackberry and what it does for me. But Why can't we have the best of both worlds? Why does it have to be one or the other? Just because certain BB users, I.e. You....don't want change? If you don't want change then don't buy any of the new phones and don't ever upgrade your phone. Simple as that. Technology is going to change and shift on you whether you want it too or not. Sorry bud. That's the breaks. If you don't want to jump on the ride then just stand on the sidelines and watch as technology progresses without you.
    03-29-12 06:10 PM
    Well, seems it was too good to be true anyway.
    03-29-12 06:20 PM
    That is correct. But unless I'm mistaken, RIM/BB had more plans in development to further integrate and create their own market for music and movies etc.. Plans now defunct.
    Thats correct, they were going to try to emulate Apple/Google/Microsoft.

It's smart to see they recognize that they cant simply do everything, but they need someone who can provide these services.

Amazon in my honest opinion is the one who comes to mind. With music, streaming video, movie buying/rental service, ebooks, and cloud service it is the perfect mesh of a united service under one umbrella.
    spike12 likes this.
    03-29-12 06:22 PM
    AHHHHHHH..........AHHHHHHHHH........AHHHHHHHH..... ..

ok now that the hysteria is over.... (LMAO)

Remember this is all according to "people familiar with the matter," which means the rumor is completely unconfirmed at this time.

Playing a BB10 to strengths is a good basic going forward plan. RIM needs to grab business by the throat and give it a good squeeze. GO TO THE MATRESSES!!!!

(i ran out of cliche's to quote)

Good Luck RIM. I will still support you.

oh, anyone ever hear of the newton?? didn't work out too well, but look at the company now.

It aint over till it's over (last one I promise)

03-29-12 06:29 PM
    Reading/listening comprehension is sorely lacking in schools.
    Jean-luc_Picard and Bla1ze like this.
    03-29-12 06:44 PM
    RIM licenses white-label music/video stores from 7digital and rovi. The back-end is all 7digital and rovi. The front-end (the Playbook clients) are all written by RIM themselves.

It may be the correct long term chess piece move in the long run.

But in the short run, everybody is screaming about the lack of netflix. RIM is just acknowledging this reality.
    03-29-12 06:51 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD