I wonder out loud here what the commitment is between Nokia and Microsoft for the long haul?

In my opinion a killer combination would be a rock solid Nokia phone running BB10. I'd like to think RIM would consider licensing out BB10 wherever possible to rebuild their core.
    Last edited by blackburberry; 05-07-12 at 01:11 AM.
    05-07-12 01:05 AM
    Nokia???
    What's wrong with Blackberry Hardware? They have the best hardware.
    And anyway licensing OS would be a bad move. There are reports of people recognizing the advantages of a OS+hardware company. The fragmentation and different evolution of Android is becoming a problem.

If you recall, Steve Jobs' first act upon his return to Apple was to cut off licensing deals.

How would Blackberry benefit if Nokia started undercutting BB devices with BB 10 OS loaded.

Doesn't make sense.
    05-07-12 01:24 AM
    I want nothing from Nokia.
    05-07-12 03:32 AM
    This never works out in the long-run because of channel conflict - which is why it's going to get messy once Google have full control of Motorola.
    addicted44 likes this.
    05-07-12 04:16 AM
    App developers already complain about too many different BlackBerry platforms. You want to make that problem even worse with BB10? And, there is the considerable security risk of having non-RIM hardware out there. Would they be as careful about stopping rooting? Even RIM screwed that up with their first QNX device.

No thanks on Jokia, Samdung or any other non-RIM maker. I'm willing to pay a premium for a mobile device made on my continent by a caring workforce.
    05-07-12 06:21 AM
    Blackberry builds bulletproof hardware. I have no desire for nokia designed stuff.
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    05-07-12 08:56 AM
    I don't dispute that RIM makes excellent hardware but OK it appears that I'm the only one in this thread that thinks it would be a wise business move.

If you recall, Steve Jobs' first act upon his return to Apple was to cut off licensing deals.

I also recall that when Apple was at death's door Microsoft infused some research capital into Apple's via TrueType technology.

To say that in tuff times some different thinking might be required and If I were RIM for a day I would look long and hard at every business opportunity...
    05-07-12 11:12 AM
    I don't dispute that RIM makes excellent hardware but OK it appears that I'm the only one in this thread that thinks it would be a wise business move.

I also recall that when Apple was at death's door Microsoft infused some research capital into Apple's via TrueType technology.

To say that in tuff times some different thinking might be required and If I were RIM for a day I would look long and hard at every business opportunity...
    Nokia had its day but they appear to be on the downswing. Much worse off than RIM is. Microsoft should go ahead and purchase them outright then we would have a four horse race.
    05-07-12 05:15 PM
    lumia 900 has a 1.4ghz single core processor and a 480x800 screen at 217dpi

dev alpha has a 1.5ghz dual core processor and a 1280x768 screen at 357dpi (currently the best `out there` display)

now why would i want their hardware again?
    05-07-12 05:18 PM
    lumia 900 has a 1.4ghz single core processor and a 480x800 screen at 217dpi

dev alpha has a 1.5ghz dual core processor and a 1280x768 screen at 357dpi (currently the best `out there` display)

now why would i want their hardware again?
    because they make quality hardware. Something can have great specs but still be a fragile piece of crap. If you hold a Nokia you can see that they spend $$$ on their products to make sure they last until you want to replace them.....Just like RIM.

Don't belive me? Just go to your local carier & look at some of the androids on display. You will see that some of them (despite boasting greats specs are already coming appart......& do you know anyone with an iPhone who's screen is cracked? I know a lot.
    blackburberry likes this.
    05-07-12 06:56 PM
    because they make quality hardware. Something can have great specs but still be a fragile piece of crap. If you hold a Nokia you can see that they spend $$$ on their products to make sure they last until you want to replace them.....Just like RIM.

Don't belive me? Just go to your local carier & look at some of the androids on display. You will see that some of them (despite boasting greats specs are already coming appart......& do you know anyone with an iPhone who's screen is cracked? I know a lot.
    oh i totally get your point, but when your building a phone to (comparing to android) 2 yr old specs, those components will be cheaper so you can spend that extra $$ on that build quality.

lets be fair, the 480x800 screen has been out since the nexus one! thats like january 2010 that launched. i bet if ford put out a car with components that old they`d be bullet proof after 2 years of in market testing lol.

as for cracked screens, thats a fair point, but i used to work for a carrier, so iv seen literally every phone have a cracked screen, so thats not a yardstick i judge stuff by, if not only for the fact cases nowadays are more `clip on the sides/back` which leaves the screen open to knocks, where say phones in holsters dont have that issue so much.
    05-07-12 10:12 PM
    I am a huge fan of BlackBerry hardware. I love the QWERTY keyboard, I love the slide-out keyboard for the Torch, and the overall look and feel of the phone appeal to me greatly. But what the OP said is intriguing, in my honest opinion.

I've done lots of research on the Nokia Lumia 900; so I think it'd be cool if Nokia and BB10 were mixed. Now, I'm not saying that I want it to happen, or that BlackBerry's hardware is bad (as I already stated above, I am in love with BlackBerry's hardware! ); but it'd still be a cool fantasy of mine to see a Nokia hardware with BB10. Of course, the "rumoured" BB10 device pictures online look sexy too; so really, I'm kind of fascinated by all that too... But hey, imagination and speculation are fun, no matter what!
    blackburberry likes this.
    05-07-12 10:33 PM
    App developers already complain about too many different BlackBerry platforms. You want to make that problem even worse with BB10? And, there is the considerable security risk of having non-RIM hardware out there. Would they be as careful about stopping rooting? Even RIM screwed that up with their first QNX device.
    Let's not confuse hardware, firmware and software...I'm only referring to hardware right now.

If one cracks open any cellphone (or playbook) on the market you'll see a healthy mix of firmware and hardware from many different manufacturers...much of it not made or assembled on this continent.
    Last edited by blackburberry; 05-08-12 at 09:09 AM.
    05-08-12 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD