My 9900 made me never want to have a device with an optical trackpad again, and it developed PKB issues and reboot issues associated with removable battery. Z10 fixed all the input issues but suffered from reboots due to removable battery. Z30 has no issues except loose volume/play buttons. BlackBerry's QA has been going downhill over the years, and the more buttons on a device from them the higher the likelihood of a device issue. Sad that their Z30 replacement will have a slider mechanism and PKB, but I'm sure it won't have any issues over a pure all touch device based on this thread.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 07:14 PM
    i llove pkb blackberry...since bold days until now.
    as a matter of fact, almost all my bb is pkb, start from bold 9000, bold 9700, bold 9780, curve 3g, bold 9900......q5.....and now passport, though now i also own z30, i love typing on real ketboard,, tthe feeling, the shorcut....just love it.
    really hope bb will continue (and improvise) producing great pkb devices in future...

work wide wisely
    05-07-15 07:57 PM
    i llove pkb blackberry...since bold days until now.
    as a matter of fact, almost all my bb is pkb, start from bold 9000, bold 9700, bold 9780, curve 3g, bold 9900......q5.....and now passport, though now i also own z30, i love typing on real ketboard,, tthe feeling, the shorcut....just love it.
    really hope bb will continue (and improvise) producing great pkb devices in future...

work wide wisely
    double type?
    05-07-15 08:30 PM
    It's very odd that the cheap model doesn't have the issue. Seems their cheap KB is better.
    the cheap models (model?) are also usually thicker, thicker phone=more internal room for keyboard, thinnerndevice=thinner keyboard.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-07-15 08:43 PM
    My 9700 is still rocking after all these years.. My AT&T Passport is double typing like a champ after 3 months! Completely random, but it's getting more and more annoying as time passes.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 03:05 AM
    I agree that double typing is an issue that must be addressed by BlackBerry. I have had the problem with my Q10 and it was annoying so I'm glad my Passport works fine.

To me, BlackBerry is all about keyboards and I would probably never buy a full touch BlackBerry phone, so if they mess up with their keyboards I would be forced to switch.
    If they say they're all about corporate and business customers they simply can't allow their phones to have such flaws. Imagine a company buys 10k phones and 30% of them start to show those issues after a while. Ignoring problems like that is what cost BlackBerry's reputation in the past and I hope they have learned from that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SunshineStateFlyer; 05-08-15 at 08:08 AM.
    05-08-15 05:02 AM
    There is some good to come out of this. I am pleasantly surprised at how good BlackBerry's VKB experience is. It's light years ahead of anything I've experienced on an android phone! Paint this former skeptic enlightened. LOL.
    That's funny, because I recently went Android, with a lowly 2014 model Moto E and I can't believe how much better the google keyboard is than the one on my old Z10. I used that Z10 for 9 months until that virtual keyboard drove me so insane I went and got a Q10. The prediction was annoyingly wrong almost always, so I had to type the whole word anyway, for example...

I thought I was a QWERTY 4 Life kind of guy, a BB forever fellow, but I am astounded by all this wee Android can do and how much better it does on screen typing and cursor placement than BB10. To say that BB10 is better is to, in my skeptical real life experience in the last couple of weeks, speak a myth.

sentimentGX4 likes this.
    05-08-15 07:55 AM
    That's funny, because I recently went Android, with a lowly 2014 model Moto E and I can't believe how much better the google keyboard is than the one on my old Z10. I used that Z10 for 9 months until that virtual keyboard drove me so insane I went and got a Q10. The prediction was annoyingly wrong almost always, so I had to type the whole word anyway, for example...

I thought I was a QWERTY 4 Life kind of guy, a BB forever fellow, but I am astounded by all this wee Android can do and how much better it does on screen typing and cursor placement than BB10. To say that BB10 is better is to, in my skeptical real life experience in the last couple of weeks, speak a myth.

Seems you never adjusted your text prediction settings. But then again you're being very vague as to what drove you "insane" about the Z10 vkb.

Posted via the CB10 App on my Z10
    05-08-15 08:13 AM

Wait until you try Ginger and TouchPal, they are miles ahead. Ginger has proof-reading built in and TouchPal has navigation cursor control for editing.

I'm not saying everyone will benefit from switching, but if you don't need touch typing then there is very little benefit from the physical keyboard alone. I certainly do not think the BlackBerry virtual keyboard is superior to mainstream Android keyboards in functionality or accuracy.

05-08-15 08:28 AM
    I've experienced double typing on all PKB phones I had so far. The only device it did not have that problem was Sony Clie.

But I must say I never experienced it as persistent issue.
    05-08-15 08:35 AM
    Seems you never adjusted your text prediction settings. But then again you're being very vague as to what drove you "insane" about the Z10 vkb.

Trust me, as a 5+ year BlackBerry lover, I tried everything in my power to make the Z10 keyboard work for me. From displaying my passwords as keyword suggestions to always suggesting the wrong version of words (dramatization rather than dramatic for example) to words I plum never use at all to words that were completely out of context, it was a frustrating experience.

This Android one on the other hand, even when hobbled by turning google snooping learning off, does not have those issues. Further, I can be amazingly sloppy, both swiping and tapping, yet the prediction is still good. Again, trust me when I say that I would not have hesitated in returning it had it been like my experience with the Z10, but it's not; I am surprisingly having good experience with my Android.

That was hard to admit too, BTW.

solitude1984 likes this.
    05-08-15 09:07 AM
    Trust me, as a 5+ year BlackBerry lover, I tried everything in my power to make the Z10 keyboard work for me. From displaying my passwords as keyword suggestions to always suggesting the wrong version of words (dramatization rather than dramatic for example) to words I plum never use at all to words that were completely out of context, it was a frustrating experience.

This Android one on the other hand, even when hobbled by turning google snooping learning off, does not have those issues. Further, I can be amazingly sloppy, both swiping and tapping, yet the prediction is still good. Again, trust me when I say that I would not have hesitated in returning it had it been like my experience with the Z10, but it's not; I am surprisingly having good experience with my Android.

That was hard to admit too, BTW.

Have to admit my phone is starting to drive mad with all the wrong predictions for a word until it's almost typed.
    05-08-15 09:24 AM
    Have to admit my phone is starting to drive mad with all the wrong predictions for a word until it's almost typed.
    Likewise. For me, it's that it displays the wrong verb tense or conjugation, or it suggests singular or plural forms wrong until nearly the entire word is typed.

However, I don�t find Swype to be any better. In fact I find it worse. It's probably the die-hard pkb typist in me.

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-08-15 09:43 AM
    When it comes to word predictions the worst thing is that BB10 actually suggests my passwords too. This is simply not acceptable.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 11:15 AM
    I'm not saying everyone will benefit from switching, but if you don't need touch typing then there is very little benefit from the physical keyboard alone.
    You can touch type with Android as well with Fleksy.

05-08-15 11:58 AM
    I am amazed to see how Blackberry is letting its passionate users down with pkb issue. I am with BB only for pkb. That is all. In India Classic has been launched at steep price and still I was looking to upgrade from curve. But no support from Blackberry for an issue I am having while ordering under loyalty program from an online retailer. Retailer tells me that how can they sell BB if company does not respond at all. Something is broken with this company.
    05-08-15 12:10 PM
    When it comes to word predictions the worst thing is that BB10 actually suggests my passwords too. This is simply not acceptable.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't accept that either, thank goodness my Z10 doesn't do that unless I tell it to.

05-08-15 01:48 PM
    I wouldn't accept that either, thank goodness my Z10 doesn't do that unless I tell it to.

Are you sure? Just open BBM or any app that features a text entry box and start typing the first few letters of a password you use. I couldn't believe it when I first saw that.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 01:56 PM
    Are you sure? Just open BBM or any app that features a text entry box and start typing the first few letters of a password you use. I couldn't believe it when I first saw that.

Posted via CB10
    Just tried it on anything with a text entry box and nothing. It only auto populates when I have saved it in the browser depending on the website. That's crazy how anyone's phone would do that rogue style.

05-08-15 03:45 PM
    Blaze, Kevin, and Crackberry in general ARE known to BlackBerry. Kevin has met Chen on numerous occasions. Is there a way we could get CB to step up to the plate and get some clarification from BB on what to expect with this issue?

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende and thymaster like this.
    05-08-15 03:47 PM
    Just tried it on anything with a text entry box and nothing. It only auto populates when I have saved it in the browser depending on the website. That's crazy how anyone's phone would do that rogue style.

Yeah it is. It's not that they would just appear randomly, but when I type the first couple of letters of a password (just to check) it does appear as a suggestion. By the way I am of course talking about cryptic passwords without any meaning. They really have to address this issue too. First step would be to only log text that is used within email, instant messaging and certain apps but definitely not online password fields.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    05-08-15 04:04 PM
    We really don't know how many people are having the double typing issues, so I would not go as far as saying it will cause the end of blackberry pkb. For those that are having double typing issues and you still have a warranty, then put in a warranty request to get the device fixed or replace. Posting on a forum is not going to get your phone fix and trying to fix itself is just going to void your warranty. All phones have problems not even the Apple iphone is immune to this. The key to all of this is how blackberry handles to repair and fixes of devices that are experience double typing.
    05-09-15 07:13 PM
    Yeah it is. It's not that they would just appear randomly, but when I type the first couple of letters of a password (just to check) it does appear as a suggestion. By the way I am of course talking about cryptic passwords without any meaning. They really have to address this issue too. First step would be to only log text that is used within email, instant messaging and certain apps but definitely not online password fields.

Posted via CB10
    I guess it depends on how many people that has happened to. I'm guessing not many, this is my first time hearing about it.

05-09-15 10:30 PM
123 ... 345