I don't think so. BB have so many regulations issues in indonesia.
    And we have cheaper device to use BBM (android).

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 10:19 PM
    They will have to price around or below $250 if bb truly want to compete on low end.

They will fight with lenovo, samsung (galaxy ace and core), and local phone manufacturers. You can even buy cheap $70 android phone with bbm preinstalled there.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent via Tapatalk 2
    12-30-13 10:23 PM
    Actually it has been proven that legacy bb outsells bb10 by a wide margin.

Op: not going to happen. The same was said about the z10.
    If they can price it right then it has a chance. None of the current phones were aimed at emerging markets from a pricing perspective which would explain why they never took off.
    12-30-13 10:42 PM
    BB is in trouble from a profitability standpoint which will lead to serious cash drain. All those noting the 2-3bil in cash reserves are not saying much after they lost 4.4bil in one quarter. They need profitable sales and costs commensurate with their profits. Cheap phones with minimal margins better lead to high margin sales quick. You may love BB10, but the public around the world does not see it.
    I'm not a financial analyst, but the 4.4 billion loss was not all cash burn. It was an accounting loss against fixed assets, etc., that apparently is common when a new CEO is in charge. The cash loss was much less.

Umi would be best to explain!

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 12:28 AM
    Because they can still do things that BB10 cannot. Especially cheap data.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    If they can figure out a way to offer BIS on BlackBerry 10, that could be the real killer feature for BlackBerry 10 in true emerging markets.

Even adding it to existing BlackBerry 10 would be great for those who want or need it. Carriers would have another reason to push BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    anon8091350 likes this.
    12-31-13 12:31 AM
    I know the company is not in its best moment right now, but this is perfectly possible. BlackBerry still has a huge share in indonesia and it seems, specially after this partnership with foxconn, that BlackBerry will finally make real cheap phones to compete with android. It means that maybe we could see in the following quarters BlackBerry announcing millions of devices sold in indonesia and others key markets (Nigeria, south Africa, Venezuela, Colombia). This maybe change a bit the tide in favor of BlackBerry after all.

Posted via awesome BlackBerry Z10!
    OP have you been to indonesia ?

BB market share position have dropped significantly from number 1 position to number 3. number 1 samsung outselling BB phone 3:1 , number 2 local android vendor andromax , While Lenovo on number 4 only start selling android phone this year in indonesia but already sell almost as many as BB.
    BlackBerry down to 3rd in Indonesia, beaten by Smartfren Andromax

after BBM go cross platfrom there are more and more people start drop using Blackberry and moving to android phone.

foxconn made BB phone it good news for BB but dont think Foxconn main focus are Blackberry. with $10 billion investment in indonesia, their main focus are making Apple devices, and their partner android devices.

PS : in low end market samsung have phone from $100 - $200 price range, andromax and lenovo gain success because they offering low end phone from $80 and still have good enough specs ( dual core processor, 5mp camera, minimum 4 inch screen)
    ravipiero, m1a1mg, JeepBB and 5 others like this.
    12-31-13 01:00 AM
    Because they can still do things that BB10 cannot. Especially cheap data.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Regular data plan in indonesia are cheap enough, cheaper than BIS. that is why many people change their phone to android. with $2 you can get 600MB data, while with BIS you have to pay $5 only to use BBM and social network (FB, Twitter etc)

most people buy BB phone in the past not for BIS in indonesia, they buy it to use BBM. now after BBM available on other platform, plus apps like path, instagram becoming very popular hard for BB regain their position as number 1 smartphone vendor, they are lucky if they can hold their number 3 position.
    Mack Gans, m1a1mg and JeepBB like this.
    12-31-13 01:11 AM

BB market share position have dropped significantly from number 1 position to number 3. number 1 samsung outselling BB phone 3:1 , number 2 local android vendor andromax , While Lenovo on number 4 only start selling android phone this year in indonesia but already sell almost as many as BB.

after BBM go cross platfrom there are more and more people start drop using Blackberry and moving to android phone.

foxconn made BB phone it good news for BB but dont think Foxconn main focus are Blackberry. with $10 billion investment in indonesia, their main focus are making Apple devices, and their partner android devices.

PS : in low end market samsung have phone from $100 - $200 price range, andromax and lenovo gain success because they offering low end phone from $80 and still have good enough specs ( dual core processor, 5mp camera, minimum 4 inch screen)
    As Indonesian, I agree with this post. Indonesian used to use BB just because BBM. It's hard to believe but it's the truth. And now since BBM is available in android and iPhone, the number of BlackBerry user in Indonesia has already dropped significantly. And when the time comes to change their phone, those minority legacy BB user will also switch to android or iphone.

There are also many decent and cheap android phones below $200 in Indonesia. So beside price, blackberry need another killer feature to attract people to use BlackBerry in Indonesia.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 03:01 AM
    True Smartfren Andromax is really good yet cheap and selling a lot in Indonesia.

12-31-13 03:10 AM
    You know nothing (FFR)...
    That's not entirely true. I know quite a bit.
    I knew that BB10 and Heins were going to fail from the beginning.
    I knew the z10/q10/q5/z30 was DOA.
    I knew that bbmx would devastate bb marketshare.
    I knew that that no one would purchase blackberry at the sale.

I also know that once android transitions to 64bit, it's game over for bb10's free app ride. (Meaning no new apps for q10/z10/z30).

I could go on...

I think the OP is right, cause over there they love bbm and with a cheap BlackBerry it could go well that's why there's a ton of bbos over there because it's cheap[/b] Posted via CB10

Really why don't you tell us how popular bb10 is in Indonesia.
    Oh wait it's not.

Bbm is now cross platform. Android and iOS will prove more popular.
    Just look at Dubai and India if you require a baseline.

It's not very nice to call Indonesians cheap.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-31-13 06:22 AM
    I think it's possible, but has to happen fast. I also think that they should delay the roll out the full featured bbm to Android (or at least low-cost Androids) until this phone has been on the market for a while. That way they could market the Jakarta as the only new low cost full featured bbm phone with no BIS costs. That would get people to upgrade from BBOS and choose BlackBerry over a white box.
    12-31-13 06:24 AM
    I agree. I wish they had put out 10.2.1 first on a Z30 last Jan.
    Seems to always be said around for years. It should've would've and could've. Too bad they didn't.
    12-31-13 06:29 AM
    If they can price it right then it has a chance.
    That ship has long sailed.

None of the current phones were aimed at emerging markets from a pricing perspective
    The q5 was aimed at emerging markets, not from a pricing perspective (trying to move the goal line), but that was blackberry's decision/fault, no one else's.

which would explain why they never took off.
    Actually it's apps.
    It's that simple.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-31-13 06:31 AM
    Yes. But, of you can offer a bb10 phone with good price, I see no reason why legacy devices will still outsells bb10. Talking about a cheap device here.

Posted via awesome BlackBerry Z10!
    Again your focusing on only one metric.

Price. Price conscious consumers tend not to care about brands.
    kbz1960, Drew808 and JeepBB like this.
    12-31-13 06:35 AM
    This could happen, but with tiny, tiny margins.
    Ill take tiny margins over losses on the hardware side any day, gains are gains no matter how small

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-31-13 06:36 AM
    FFR has sources friends that tell him things with 100% certainty didn't you know that Habs_fan? He just can't reveal them.

Posted via CB10
    Oh peer pressure what fun!!!
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-31-13 06:39 AM
    I'm not a financial analyst, but the 4.4 billion loss was not all cash burn. It was an accounting loss against fixed assets, etc., that apparently is common when a new CEO is in charge. The cash loss was much less.

Umi would be best to explain!

Posted via CB10
    You are correct, it was a write down on assets and inventories. I even suspect that much of the write downs had to do with clearing most of the remaining hardware purchase obligations. There was no 'cash burn' per se last quarter (they had a cash gain of 77 million). However, they also received a significant tax refund. Cash loss from operations was around $330M if I remember correctly, which isn't too bad. This number will only get better in the future.
    12-31-13 06:40 AM
    That's not entirely true. I know quite a bit.
    I knew that BB10 and Heins were going to fail from the beginning.
    I knew the z10/q10/q5/z30 was DOA.
    I knew that bbmx would devastate bb marketshare.
    I knew that that no one would purchase blackberry at the sale.

I also know that once android transitions to 64bit, it's game over for bb10's free app ride. (Meaning no new apps for q10/z10/z30).

I could go on...

Really why don't you tell us how popular bb10 is in Indonesia.
    Oh wait it's not.

Bbm is now cross platform. Android and iOS will prove more popular.
    Just look at Dubai and India if you require a baseline.

It's not very nice to call Indonesians cheap.
    They should have hired you because you knew all those things in advance and not just talking hindsight now. So what would you have done differently?
    Sounds like there is no point in any one trying to be in the mobile space besides the big 2. Although I'm sure you are going to tell me the way that you would have tackled this and been successful. You know since you knew all of the above then you should really know exactly what it would take to dethrone Android and Apple.
    Okay go ahead...

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 06:55 AM
    They should have hired you because you knew all those things in advance and not just talking hindsight now. So what would you have done differently?
    No thank you. (All my friends have already left blackberry).

So what would you have done differently?
    You can check my past posts.

Sounds like there is no point in any one trying to be in the mobile space besides the big 2.
    Depends how you define point.
    Take Microsoft for example, their purpose is to be number 3 with the "hope"/delusion of being number 1.

They have accomplished their goal.

Although I'm sure you are going to tell me the way that you would have tackled this and been successful. You know since you knew all of the above then you should really know exactly what it would take to dethrone Android and Apple.

Posted via CB10
    Never would have happened.
    You or any one that believed blackberry was in or will be in a position to is/was living in a dream.

The market has proven as much, to the detriment of some of the fans on this board.

It's not only blackberry, look at htc,NEC, sharp, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Sony, lg, Nokia; they all failed.
    JeepBB and juliankueh like this.
    12-31-13 07:27 AM
    No thank you. (All my friends have already left blackberry).

You can check my past posts.

Depends how you define point.
    Take Microsoft for example, their purpose is to be number 3 with the "hope"/delusion of being number 1.

They have accomplished their goal.

Never would have happened.
    You or any one that believed blackberry was in or will be in a position to is/was living in a dream.

The market has proven as much, to the detriment of some of the fans on this board.

It's not only blackberry, look at htc,NEC, sharp, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Sony, lg, Nokia; they all failed.
    So you knew with 100% certainty that BlackBerry would fail and all your "friends" left yet you still bought a BB10 phone?

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 08:54 AM

I'm very interested in this comment. Can you please explain this a bit further?
    12-31-13 09:03 AM
    Hopefully they will sell many all around the world, and even the US. I see many people here who have posted that have bought Lumia 520 devices because they were so cheap and to see what WP8 is all about. BlackBerry could do the same with a cheap phone in the or established markets as people might not be willing to give Bb10 a shot at $600 off contract or locking themself into a contract for a BB10 device, but would jump in for a cheap phone off contract, like some have done with the lower end Lumia.

Posted via CB10
    juliankueh likes this.
    12-31-13 09:13 AM
    I guess there will have to be a "optimistic" subforum.
    Trolls than no longer have a excuse to bash someones optimism...
    12-31-13 09:38 AM
    Actually it has been proven that legacy bb outsells bb10 by a wide margin.

Op: not going to happen. The same was said about the z10.
    The Z10 was not cheap

Posted via CB10
    juliankueh likes this.
    12-31-13 09:46 AM
    I think the device will do well because of the price point. In went into my carrier last night and they had a 9720 on display Longside the Q5 and the 9720 was significantly cheaper. There are lots of people that just want a messaging device that won't pay that much for a Q5 when they can get a 9720. If there was a cheap BB10 phone, people would move to it.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 09:48 AM
194 1234 ...