I know the company is not in its best moment right now, but this is perfectly possible. BlackBerry still has a huge share in indonesia and it seems, specially after this partnership with foxconn, that BlackBerry will finally make real cheap phones to compete with android. It means that maybe we could see in the following quarters BlackBerry announcing millions of devices sold in indonesia and others key markets (Nigeria, south Africa, Venezuela, Colombia). This maybe change a bit the tide in favor of BlackBerry after all.

Posted via awesome BlackBerry Z10!
    12-30-13 04:20 PM
    I know the company is not in its best moment right now, but this is perfectly possible. BlackBerry still has a huge share in indonesia and it seems, specially after this partnership with foxconn, that BlackBerry will finally make real cheap phones to compete with android. It means that maybe we could see in the following quarters BlackBerry announcing millions of devices sold in indonesia and others key markets (Nigeria, south Africa, Venezuela, Colombia). This maybe change a bit the tide in favor of BlackBerry after all.

This could happen, but with tiny, tiny margins.
    12-30-13 04:24 PM
    Who cares about Jakartas?

I want news of a S�o Paulo, or a Salvador low end device.

(Jokes aside, Foxconn does have facilities in Brasilm no? And if ANY bit of a smartphone is built in Brasil, that device gets huge tax discounts. It would be a good move for BlackBerry to go for a device targeting us down here in the LARGEST economy of Latin America. They should do it while some of us still care - brand damage has already started here.)
    12-30-13 04:25 PM

Don't think so, it has clearly been proven that the BBOS share doesn't care much for BB10.
    12-30-13 04:30 PM
    Don't think so, it has clearly been proven that the BBOS share doesn't care much for BB10.
    Always the optimist.
    just_luc, rarsen, KemKev and 1 others like this.
    12-30-13 04:34 PM
    No BD, it has been clearly proven that you don't like BB10...

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 04:55 PM
    Back on topic, this is a really smart move from Chen, in trouble? Go for the low hanging fruit first...

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and KemKev like this.
    12-30-13 04:56 PM
    No BD, it has been clearly proven that you don't like BB10...

Posted via CB10
    Actually it has been proven that legacy bb outsells bb10 by a wide margin.

Op: not going to happen. The same was said about the z10.
    12-30-13 05:45 PM

You know nothing (FFR)... I think the OP is right, cause over there they love bbm and with a cheap BlackBerry it could go well that's why there's a ton of bbos over there because it's cheap

Posted via CB10
    Havoc65 and RazrRob like this.
    12-30-13 06:05 PM
    I really don't think that Foxconn is thinking failure. This was a big win for BlackBerry. The quality has no where to go up for cheap BlackBerry phones. I also think this phone could be a big hit in the UK. I am optimistic about BB chances for the first time since last year at this time. I seem to recall that there was a few of us calling for a Z5 soon after the Z10 was released just for the budget phone market. BB10 needs to improve its market share even if the margins are lower.

Since Foxconn builds the iphone, I am hoping that some of that quality feel and look can be borrowed.
    12-30-13 07:08 PM
    I really don't think that Foxconn is thinking failure. This was a big win for BlackBerry. The quality has no where to go up for cheap BlackBerry phones. I also think this phone could be a big hit in the UK. I am optimistic about BB chances for the first time since last year at this time. I seem to recall that there was a few of us calling for a Z5 soon after the Z10 was released just for the budget phone market. BB10 needs to improve its market share even if the margins are lower.

Since Foxconn builds the iphone, I am hoping that some of that quality feel and look can be borrowed.
    The Z10 is already dirt cheap in UK, same price as the 9620, what's the Jakarta gonna have to offer over the Z10 other then just more profit margins for BB?
    12-30-13 07:10 PM

Yes. But, of you can offer a bb10 phone with good price, I see no reason why legacy devices will still outsells bb10. Talking about a cheap device here.

12-30-13 08:04 PM
    Back on topic, this is a really smart move from Chen, in trouble? Go for the low hanging fruit first...

Posted via CB10
    We'll see. I think it may be one of the few moves left.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    12-30-13 08:06 PM
    You know nothing (FFR)... I think the OP is right, cause over there they love bbm and with a cheap BlackBerry it could go well that's why there's a ton of bbos over there because it's cheap

Posted via CB10
    FFR has sources that tell him things with 100% certainty didn't you know that Habs_fan? He just can't reveal them.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 08:07 PM
    Yes. But, of you can offer a bb10 phone with good price, I see no reason why legacy devices will still outsells bb10. Talking about a cheap device here.

Because they can still do things that BB10 cannot. Especially cheap data.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    12-30-13 08:07 PM
    I would be much more excited than surprised. Not that I have any stake in the company at all, I still want them around when it is time for my next upgrade.
    12-30-13 08:08 PM
    Depends. Which phones would be the major competition and what is their typical pricing and sales? What is brand effect in Indonesia?
    12-30-13 08:15 PM

Don't feed the trolls....
    12-30-13 08:45 PM
    Don't feed the trolls....
    Great response. Not.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    12-30-13 08:51 PM
    BB is in trouble from a profitability standpoint which will lead to serious cash drain. All those noting the 2-3bil in cash reserves are not saying much after they lost 4.4bil in one quarter. They need profitable sales and costs commensurate with their profits. Cheap phones with minimal margins better lead to high margin sales quick. You may love BB10, but the public around the world does not see it.
    12-30-13 09:07 PM
    BB is in trouble from a profitability standpoint which will lead to serious cash drain. All those noting the 2-3bil in cash reserves are not saying much after they lost 4.4bil in one quarter. They need profitable sales and costs commensurate with their profits. Cheap phones with minimal margins better lead to high margin sales quick. You may love BB10, but the public around the world does not see it.
    I see your point but high margin phones that aren't selling because the public isn't aware of the OS aren't helping either. If they can get BB10 out in the wild in a somewhat reasonable manner then they could very well shift to higher margin devices once the awareness is there. They don't have the marketing budget that the others do so low margin devices is actually a better way for them to gain market share and awareness than a straight marketing campaign.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan, Vorkosigan and keypad like this.
    12-30-13 09:11 PM
    I see your point but high margin phones that aren't selling because the public isn't aware of the OS aren't helping either. If they can get BB10 out in the wild in a somewhat reasonable manner then they could very well shift to higher margin devices once the awareness is there. They don't have the marketing budget that the others do so low margin devices is actually a better way for them to gain market share and awareness than a straight marketing campaign.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. I wish they had put out 10.2.1 first on a Z30 last Jan.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    12-30-13 09:16 PM
    I agree. I wish they had put out 10.2.1 first on a Z30 last Jan.
    Yes that would have been a whole different story if it went that way. I guess now they have to somehow find a way to climb out of this hole. Here's to hoping they can because I think BlackBerry has the best devices and OS....for me.

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    12-30-13 09:21 PM
    If they market well.

Indonesia still has the BlackBerry craze to some extent. A lot of teens are moving to Android because it is cheap and affordable. Also it is very IMPORTANT for BB to bring in BASIC apps, Instragram and Viber will be a must! BBRY still has a chance for a come back in ASIA.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    12-30-13 09:27 PM
    Why is it a huge cash drain? Foxconn is the one carrying the inventory costs and is also going to be selling the devices there. That's the whole point of doing the deal in the first place. To give Foxconn more gross margin and get the devices out there while minimizing cash burn and risk of inventory writedowns.

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1925 | BBM Channel C0006E212
    app_Developer, m1a1mg and JeepBB like this.
    12-30-13 10:14 PM
194 123 ...