Okay, I know there's a rage going on about ported vs native apps. I understand that ported apps certainly don't work as well as native sometimes, at other times it works just as well and you can't really tell the difference. We must realize that BB are not the only ones receiving ported apps, Androids get iOS ported apps too as I've noticed when I checked out Google Play. I haven't checked Apple's App Store but I wouldn't be surprised if we see Android ports in there as well...that is if the Walled Garden can be penetrated.

Anyway, the point of my thread is to say that:

Considering the situation BB is in, I don't think we should make too many complaints. As sad as the truth is, BB users are hardly in the position to start demanding anything right now. We should show devs support, build up our situation to where we have more leverage to start demanding things. I see users giving 1 or 2 star reviews for apps in BB World simply because the app is a port. I really, really don't recommend that. We surely don't need to anger devs right now, especially when BB went through so much trouble to cater them onto our platform. Seriously, think carefully at the detrimental consequence that this will cause. Angered, Devs can simply go to more lucrative platforms like Android and Apple and ignore BB altogether as they have already done. BB has put a lot of effort, I'm sure, to persuade them to come back, but with poor and unreasonable reviews such as what I've mentioned above, they may think otherwise. Right now, being nearly at the lower end of the totem pull, it is better to have than have not. Once BB can increase their competitive stance in the market then so can BB users begin to demand better...but now is not the time.

What you can do is leave civil comments saying that we like their apps being brought over to BB, for now a port is nice, but we would hope to see a native app in the near future! You're showing appreciation but also emphasize that we would like to see native. Be nice, don't anger them! Don't forget that devs are in it for profit, they're not there to make you happy. And right now, BB has among the smallest consumer base compared to Android and iOS. So don't kill the good momentum BB has with devs right now.

It would be most ideal if we see a standard coding system, like HTML5, where one app can be used universally in all OS platforms. I'm sure devs would be happy, less work and less costly for them, and users will benefit the most. The only ones not happy will probably be Google and Apple since they profit from the exclusivity of apps to their platforms.
    Last edited by DuexNoir; 03-25-13 at 02:08 AM.
    03-24-13 07:33 PM
    I agree. We need to show our support.
    dietertong and CDM76 like this.
    03-24-13 07:38 PM
    I show my support by downloading the android port and un installing it proceeding with an email to the developer that I will use the app once it is native. Some android ports run smoothly but the majority don't.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 07:57 PM
    The second part of your post is dead on why can't all phones be on one OS? Could you imagine if every model of car had their own special gas? Choice in phones are great but make a standard OS. Not E1 is a smartphone techie we just want to enjoy our product. I don't go up to people and judge them based on say what kind of T.V they have..
    So why do we do it with phones? It's really quite childish.

But I digress....

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    03-24-13 08:11 PM
    The second part of your post is dead on why can't all phones be on one OS? Could you imagine if every model of car had their own special gas? Choice in phones are great but make a standard OS. Not E1 is a smartphone techie we just want to enjoy our product. I don't go up to people and judge them based on say what kind of T.V they have..

But I digress....

Having one OS would only make matters worse, monopolies suck...

Posted via CB10
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    03-24-13 08:18 PM
    Most definitely if we lose them a entire OS goes to waste
    03-24-13 08:25 PM
    I agree, to a point. Some of the ports are good but some are bad. It all depends on who ported and why. Many were just taking part in the Portathons to get the $100 per app that was offered and they'd port as many as they can not really caring about quality.

On the other hand, there are many that took the easy route, but making sure quality was good, in order to see what will come of the platform before investing any real time and resources into a native app.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 08:26 PM
    If there was 1 os. If there was one doodle one type of car one type of pants.......boring. We need variety and quality and blackberry is as good or better quality as any
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    03-24-13 08:28 PM
    This is terrible advice!!! you asking us to accept less than stellar products just just so BB can hang on a little longer. **** no! When I pay my hard earned cash for a product (hardware or software) I expect it to work! I expect the company to support it and provide updates to bugs. We have accepted less than stellar products in the Playbook and the 9900, this needs to end now with the Z10 and BB10, Give us a product that's complete on both sides of the coin....hardware AND software. Im going to continue to preach that its Blackberry's job to cater to the developers not the consumer.
    aniym and JPSKILLZ like this.
    03-24-13 08:39 PM
    Ask and you shall receive. people need to do it politely yes, but unless they express their displeasure, nothing will ever be done to correct the situation. just my 2 cents
    JPSKILLZ likes this.
    03-24-13 08:50 PM
    The downside to giving out 5 stars to good apps is that the developers might feel that we are content with only having a port of the app rather than having a native app.

Posted via CB10
    JPSKILLZ likes this.
    03-24-13 08:55 PM
    I will give 4 stars max for a port but I do not go around giving 1 or 2 stars to every app I see being a port

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 09:11 PM
    The only apps on this device are bb10 apps.
    If you choose to sideload don't expect it to work 100% I don't put Ford parts in a Chevy right?

CDM76 and JPSKILLZ like this.
    03-24-13 09:14 PM
    This is terrible advice!!! you asking us to accept less than stellar products just just so BB can hang on a little longer. **** no! When I pay my hard earned cash for a product (hardware or software) I expect it to work! I expect the company to support it and provide updates to bugs. We have accepted less than stellar products in the Playbook and the 9900, this needs to end now with the Z10 and BB10, Give us a product that's complete on both sides of the coin....hardware AND software. Im going to continue to preach that its Blackberry's job to cater to the developers not the consumer.
    Most of the Android ports I've seen work well enough, and some of them work very well.

It's unrealistic to expect BB to build out an app portfolio to match either Apple or Android overnight. Dismiss Android ports if you want, but if you do you'll be missing out on Waze, eBay, Songza, Nogago Maps, and many others, not to mention some reasonably useful sideloads.

Any new platform faces the old chicken-and-egg problem: users won't buy if there aren't enough apps, and developers won't create apps if there aren't enough users. The Android Player tries to short-circuit this, and gives developers a great low-risk way to test the market, so it actually DOES represent BlackBerry catering to the developers.
    dietertong likes this.
    03-24-13 09:19 PM
    I didn't expect BlackBerry to have 300,000 apps by launch... they will get there

By the way someone told me that sideloading is illegal.

Is there any truth in that.

03-24-13 09:26 PM
    dont want to make a fuss out of android port. But some apps are hella lagg. Tho , i don't care much about apps as i got the apps i need. Maybe those android port will run better with the upcoming Jelly bean Android runtime. And yes, we need to show our support. This Z10 is simply Amazing.
    03-24-13 09:48 PM
    I'm not asking you to accept less than stellar products but I am asking many to be more civil in their reviews of ported apps. We all want high quality products that deserve our hard earned cash, but giving ports a 1 star or a 2 star with only a "Not native" ...or "I'm not supporting ported apps" will not help our (as a BB consumer) situation any. I'm sure many who give such reviews haven't even bothered to download and see whether the ported app is good or not. There are certainly apps out there (both ported and native) that are not very good (perhaps more bad ported ones than good) but we shouldn't label something ported and turn our backs. The one main reason BB had to throw out all those incentives and port-a-thons and cater to devs is because BB users are small in number compared to iOS and Android. As a smaller consumer base, many devs (especially large companies) will not bother to spend their time and money to cater to a "dying" breed - we all have heard this before and are still hearing it.

If consumers are not downloading and are not buying, if they are not making any profit, there will not be any more incentives to further develop for BB platform. I'm not saying to blindly eat all the sh*t out there, absolutely not!, but I am urging for a more sensible approach to letting devs know that we strongly prefer native but, at least for now, we will support you devs.

Perhaps my statement was buried but I emphasize on being civil in one's response to devs. I've come across a number of pretty terse reviews about ported apps that could have been better worded. I do recommend leaving reviews to let devs know that we strongly urge native apps but do so civilly.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-25-13 02:07 AM

But I digress....

I don't think having a single OS would be the best but having a standard code in all the OS to which all apps can run may help. Wasn't there a suggestion initially that HTML5 was the beginning towards that end?
    03-25-13 02:15 AM
    I agree. We need to show our support.
    Agreed. Hence why I encourage everyone to leave a rating on EVERY app we download/use/like.
    More positive reviews encourage those developers to create more apps. If I dont like the app I just uninstall without a review, unless it is absolutely horrendous. In which case I usually contact dev first. So far I contacted Dev once and within 5 days my complaints were fixed and the app works AWESOME now (Private Camera - take pics with no sounds and darkened screen so no one, but you, can see what you are taking pic of). Lets keep the positive momentum flowing
    03-25-13 02:35 AM
    Thats not what the op is saying. He (she?) is simply stating that when you leave feedback be fair, polite and respectful. There are some pretty nasty (rude) reviews out there. These hurt us all. Think of it this way, would YOU spend your time and energy creating a native app is everyone is giving poor reviews and being rude to you because your app is ported ? True ported apps generally dont work as well, but some work perfectly well (see Ebay app for example).

My understanding of the op's post is that we need to tread lightly so that we dont kill the positive momentum BB has worked hard to generate and hence kill the BB eco-system before it even gets going.
    DuexNoir likes this.
    03-25-13 02:42 AM
    I didn't expect BlackBerry to have 300,000 apps by launch... they will get there

By the way someone told me that sideloading is illegal.

Is there any truth in that.

No, there is no truth to this! Sideloading is a feature that's supported on BlackBerry. This kind of misinformation is not helpful.

Posted via CB10
    aarty likes this.
    03-25-13 06:28 AM

But I digress....

How about we only let you watch one channel.on TV all the time too. Dumbest thing ever.
    03-25-13 08:39 AM
    Sorry but I'm willing to pay for all my apps if they are useful and native. Most of the ported apps I downloaded I deleted. Apps that I downloaded are native run smoothly and most of them I've paid for.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:37 AM
    Yes and no. The product is complete, and it works great; however you can't bully developers into developing for it. Your gripe with apps should no longer be with BlackBerry. That's like getting mad at the car company that after market performance companies won't produce for your car. BB10 is a superior OS and a new OS, it's going to take time to get some people on board. Believe it or not my friends, there were A LOT of people against ELECTRICITY when it first came around.

BlackBerry is going to have to take its licks, just like any other new way of doing things. There will be supporters and doubters. Word of mouth will go a long way, word of mouth and demonstration. It is BlackBerry AND OUR jobs to cater to developers, just in different ways. BlackBerry has to give incentives and we have to give support and constructive feedback. The OP was correct, we can help move things along.
    03-25-13 12:47 PM
    Yes and no. The product is complete, and it works great; however you can't bully developers into developing for it. Your gripe with apps should no longer be with BlackBerry. That's like getting mad at the car company that after market performance companies won't produce for your car. BB10 is a superior OS and a new OS, it's going to take time to get some people on board. Believe it or not my friends, there were A LOT of people against ELECTRICITY when it first came around.

BlackBerry is going to have to take its licks, just like any other new way of doing things. There will be supporters and doubters. Word of mouth will go a long way, word of mouth and demonstration. It is BlackBerry AND OUR jobs to cater to developers, just in different ways. BlackBerry has to give incentives and we have to give support and constructive feedback. The OP was correct, we can help move things along.
    Ya sure. Why not compare something like electricity to a 3 year delayed Os that is nothing more then static tiles a la iphone. You would think with all the delays they would have released something earth shattering like the first iphone was a t the time. Nope. Not even support for widgets...awesome. anyone tell me how I can change apn settings so I can pit in a manual dns entry? Wtf!!??
    03-25-13 12:53 PM
28 12