Google Trends indicates that the popularity of crackberry.com more or less follows the popularity of BlackBerry. A downward trend. We all know that the pace and numbers of postings has dropped significantly.

Posted via CB10
    Again, it's not POSTINGS that make a website like this valuable, it's overall HITS, and that has little to do with POSTS. If you get 5,000 hits a day from surfers looking for information, and it's not just BLACKBERRY information, then you have a winning website. There are other threads on CrackBerry besides BlackBerry related. I've posted in threads about Android and iPhone threads, and there are "OTHER" threads that have nothing to do with phones. All these come up on search engines and make the site "valuable" to the owner(s). When you sell to advertisers, you don't sell on the number of POSTS, you sell number of HITS. Traffic is what is important, not raw posts. Trend down, or trend up, you sell advertising based on average traffic.

Speaking of Android threads, that will keep the site on an even keel for years. Search engines do not care that it's CrackBerry, they just look at content. If someone is searching for "BEST ANDROID APPS FOR TRAVEL " and there happens to be that information on CB, then it comes up in a web search plain and simple. Surfers usually don't care what the website or Forum name is that they are getting the info from, no more than I care who made the plates at the restaurant I ate at last night. They carried the food to the table. That's all I cared about.
    Uzi and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-26-16 06:27 AM
    Again, it's not POSTINGS that make a website like this valuable, it's overall HITS, and that has little to do with POSTS. If you get 5,000 hits a day from surfers looking for information, and it's not just BLACKBERRY information, then you have a winning website. There are other threads on CrackBerry besides BlackBerry related. I've posted in threads about Android and iPhone threads, and there are "OTHER" threads that have nothing to do with phones. All these come up on search engines and make the site "valuable" to the owner(s). When you sell to advertisers, you don't sell on the number of POSTS, you sell number of HITS. Traffic is what is important, not raw posts. Trend down, or trend up, you sell advertising based on average traffic.

Speaking of Android threads, that will keep the site on an even keel for years. Search engines do not care that it's CrackBerry, they just look at content. If someone is searching for "BEST ANDROID APPS FOR TRAVEL " and there happens to be that information on CB, then it comes up in a web search plain and simple. Surfers usually don't care what the website or Forum name is that they are getting the info from, no more than I care who made the plates at the restaurant I ate at last night. They carried the food to the table. That's all I cared about.
    As posts decline the relevant search strings decline. Without current posts its much less likely to get a hit on a search engine. Especially if the results are sorted by date.
    lift likes this.
    01-26-16 06:55 AM
    As posts decline the relevant search strings decline. Without current posts its much less likely to get a hit on a search engine. Especially if the results are sorted by date.
    so with other words, it wouldn't matter if most posts on CB are made up as crap posts anyway, just the click rate is that's counting?

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    01-26-16 07:34 AM
    What is clear is that the popularity of CrackBerry is intrinsically linked with that of BlackBerry. Android may save BlackBerry but not necessarily CrackBerry.
    lift likes this.
    01-26-16 10:10 AM
    Not entirely true.

Your stance assumes that 100 percent of the value of any website comes from a member's Forum.

Have you ever seen the STAFF at CB do reviews or post other items to the site? These have nothing to do with posts by members, yet these items are pinged by search engines every minute. If the Forum was eliminated tomorrow, the hits would continue for some time in the old posts forum, and, you'd see a dramatic tick-up in reviews and other discussion on the site by staff. Even it you didn't, there would be links and ongoing items posted to the site by staff that would keep the value of the site relevant for years.

Millions of websites have no Forum, and they get billions of hits yearly. A Forum is not life or death of a website. If it were, there would be 90 percent less websites in the world.
    01-26-16 10:30 AM
    What is clear is that the popularity of CrackBerry is intrinsically linked with that of BlackBerry. Android may save BlackBerry but not necessarily CrackBerry.
    I see it the same way. CrackBerry is all about the Priv now. The main page is about 90% Priv this and Priv that. The Priv is not what made CrackBerry what it is today and CrackBerry better realize that there are a ton of people that still like BB10 devices and want to read news and discussions about BBOS or BB10.
    I'm sure there are a lot of CrackBerry members, Myself included, that could give two sh1ts about the Priv and are getting sick of it being plastered all over the main CrackBerry page.
    01-26-16 11:18 AM
    I see it the same way. CrackBerry is all about the Priv now. The main page is about 90% Priv this and Priv that. The Priv is not what made CrackBerry what it is today and CrackBerry better realize that there are a ton of people that still like BB10 devices and want to read news and discussions about BBOS or BB10.
    I'm sure there are a lot of CrackBerry members, Myself included, that could give two sh1ts about the Priv and are getting sick of it being plastered all over the main CrackBerry page.
    I'm not interested in the Priv, either, but I don't understand the animosity of some BB10 fans.

Love it or hate it, the Priv is the future of BlackBerry handsets. BlackBerry has not made a single penny selling BB10 phones. The Priv is their last attempt to make their handsets profitable again.

If any new BB10 handsets are ever made in the future (very unlikely at this point), it will be thanks to the success of the Priv in keeping BlackBerry's handset business afloat.
    01-26-16 11:31 AM
    I don't see why people tend to be so radical when it comes to mobile platforms. As if their lives would depend on it.

This is a BlackBerry website, with BlackBerry forums. It is not about BBOS or BB10, it's about discussing everything around the BlackBerry world.

I don't remember people being so "offended" when BB10 was released.

By the way, as I have already mentioned, the definitions of an OS being "dead" may vary. As for the moment, you will be able to use both, BB10 and even BBOS for the next few years easily. Just don't expect much development there but as long as you only use it for mailing and messaging etc, why is that a problem?

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 11:36 AM
    Looking back just now at the last 80 articles, those specific to the Priv accounts for 20% of those articles. Around 60% are related to BBRY and BB10 (basically everything specific to BB excluding Priv articles). The remaining 20% are general mobile industry agnostic. I don't know that I'd classify 20% as being plastered all over the main CB page.
    01-26-16 11:40 AM
    Looking back just now at the last 80 articles, those specific to the Priv accounts for 20% of those articles. Around 60% are related to BBRY and BB10 (basically everything specific to BB excluding Priv articles). The remaining 20% are general mobile industry agnostic. I don't know that I'd classify 20% as being plastered all over the main CB page.
    Look at today's page. I respectfully disagree. Lately almost everything has been related to the Priv.
    I also see that everyone that sticks up for BlackBerry's android move and the Priv also get promoted to ambassador or moderator. I see now what's going on.
    What about people that do not like android or the Priv and like BB10 or BBOS devices, do we get warnings or banned?
    01-26-16 12:01 PM
    Look at today's page. I respectfully disagree. Lately almost everything has been related to the Priv.
    I also see that everyone that sticks up for BlackBerry's android move and the Priv also get promoted to ambassador or moderator. I see now what's going on.
    What about people that do not like android or the Priv and like BB10 or BBOS devices, do we get warnings or banned?
    Well, CrackBerry also has to keep up with the trends. The Priv is BlackBerry's newest device and it's the future of BlackBerry, whether you like that or not.

If you like BB10 or BBOS devices that's great, I like them too, but you just have to realize that they're about to disappear more and more. Many people have moved on and they don't want to read about the past all the time.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 12:17 PM
    Many people have moved on and they don't want to read about the past all the time.
    I would say that here at CrackBerry only some have moved on. There are still a lot of people here that wouldn't trade their BB10 or BBOS devices for any android.
    So I don't know what you mean about "the past". I know BlackBerry is trying to slowly kill off BB10 devices but they are not "the past" and people still use and want to discuss them.
    01-26-16 12:22 PM
    lol I don't want your crystal ball. It's broken.

So I don't know what you mean about "the past".
    What would be the news about BB10 if we (members) only discuss about it ? The same forever lasting fear that it'll disappear tomorrow ? I believe there's a LOT of threads about it and no factual substance about it; each will make his assumptions, predictions, hopes and that's fine but should we avoid discussing about the latest BlackBerry news just because it's not BB10 and run in circles ?
    I'm not sure I get your point: what would you want to publish/discuss about BB10 ?

P.S: "we" = community members, I'm not involved anyhow in editorial and not expressing me as a mod nor ambassador here.
    Laura Knotek and BigBadWulf like this.
    01-26-16 12:25 PM
    I would say that here at CrackBerry only some have moved on. There are still a lot of people here that wouldn't trade their BB10 or BBOS devices for any android.
    So I don't know what you mean about "the past". I know BlackBerry is trying to slowly kill off BB10 devices but they are not "the past" and people still use and want to discuss them.
    By all means, feel free to discuss them. If anyone tries to rain on your parade, hit the report button. Our job is to keep the forums from descending into kindergarten quarreling over whose opinions are more right than someone else's, no matter what device they use.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 12:36 PM
    I don't remember people being so "offended" when BB10 was released.
    Because it was developed by BlackBerry. Android wasn't - it was merely dressed up by some cut-rate graphic designers and given a pathetic imitation of the BB10 hub.
    lift likes this.
    01-26-16 12:53 PM
    very true that is, noticed that a few day ago, suddenly some people got the Ambassador tag, even if there last 20 or more posts where either silly or incompetence, or just stupid, still they where promoted because of there attitude and posts are rectifying any excuse why Android would be better and the way to go, regardless what pro-OS10 argument where put against it.

Looks like there is some thing going on behind the curtain on CB.
    ... do I get banned now?

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    lift likes this.
    01-26-16 02:17 PM
    In defense of all Ambassador, or even Moderator tags. IMHO, they really do have a tough job or role to fill. They want to allow for a lively discussion,whether it be the Blackberry brand in general, or a technical subject and also allow for various opinions to be represented. It's a fine balancing act, and my hats off to them.

If you think I'm full of beans, just try going to an Antique or Classic car forum and start a topic on which oil is to best to use. That's almost a guarantee to have that particular thread locked or deleted.
    01-26-16 02:33 PM
    I will be forever intrigued by the apparent need of some people to create drama and intrigue out of trivial things.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    TLD1, Ecm, GadgetTravel and 1 others like this.
    01-26-16 02:34 PM
    Closed for review.
    Soulstream likes this.
    01-26-16 02:39 PM
    very true that is, noticed that a few day ago, suddenly some people got the Ambassador tag, even if there last 20 or more posts where either silly or incompetence, or just stupid, still they where promoted because of there attitude and posts are rectifying any excuse why Android would be better and the way to go, regardless what pro-OS10 argument where put against it.

Looks like there is some thing going on behind the curtain on CB.
    ... do I get banned now?
    Let's address this first.

Please take a look at the Community Rules and Guidelines, particularly the section about Moderators, which also extends to Ambassadors. "If you have a complaint or issue with a moderator, please bring it up privately via private message, or email our Community Manager, James Falconer at james AT mobilenations dot com. No discussions on warnings, infractions or bans between a Mod and user is to be made public. No exceptions!"

So if you have issues with either team, contact James rather than complaining the Forums.

As to BB10 vs. Priv coverage? If any news comes up about BlackBerry 10 OS or devices, it will certainly be covered. But our bloggers are not the type to rehash old news simply to say something about BlackBerry 10. The simple truth is that there is more activity revolving around the Priv and its OS right now, so that's what will be covered. If anyone has fresh news about BlackBerry 10 that we haven't covered, by all means -- let us know!

CB members have wide ranging opinions about favorite OS's and devices. And though some may not consider the Priv to be a "true" BlackBerry device, it's what BlackBerry is producing and it will be covered and discussed here.

All members are free to voice their opinions, discuss or debate issues -- as long as they do so in a civil manner and within the
    Community Rules and Guidelines. And yes, those who ignore the R&G and Moderators' warnings consistently will build up infractions and often end up with temporary, or even permanent bans. Some who have posted in this thread may have first-hand experience with the system.

I hope this clears the air a little.

Now, as this thread seems to have outlived its "best before" date, it will remain closed. Thanks to all those who have tried to stay on topic despite the change in its tone.
    01-26-16 03:36 PM
220 ... 789