So my S2 screen cracked, and had it replaced. New one arrived yesterday. Made the switch when I got home from work. The problem? 24hrs later and NO ONE has gotten back to me with new app codes for the PIN change. I notified my Crackberry Super Store account, logged onto App World, notified the venders of individual apps, as well as the BB Beta Zone. Nothing. All of my apps that are tied to the PIN are dead in the water. Guess I have to wait for people to show up on Monday....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-10 04:56 PM
    That's why I'm skeptical of buying paid apps. Transferring them to a new device doesn't seem easy. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope.

07-24-10 05:08 PM
    Well, some apps are worth the $. My biggest losses at the moment are Weatherbug Elite (weather is critical to my work), and Quick Launch. Truth is, MOST of my apps are not tied to PIN. Yes, the ones that are can be a nuisance sometimes. I do wish they had a better way.

07-24-10 05:27 PM
    Mobihand is the key here. I buy everything possible through Mobihand. Change your PIN in you My Apps Profile get your reg codes. Above all don't miss out on kool apps just because reg codes can be a hassel.
    07-24-10 05:58 PM
    Submitted the change to Mobihand yesterday. Still nothing.

07-24-10 06:06 PM
    Okay..
    Uninstalled Weatherbug from phone, went back to App World, logged in, re-downloaded Weatherbug, and the key updated! Score - App World - 1, Mobihand - 0. Lol

I already tried uninstalling Quick Launch and re-installing from Mobihand, but no go. Still old non-working code showing.

07-24-10 06:21 PM
    What a bite . . .my codes were almost instant except for one. Forget what it was but it took two days of nasty emails to get that one. I hate waiting too! Sorry dude...
    07-24-10 06:41 PM
    Yeah, thanks. My important stuff is running. Pocket Informant (key not tied to PIN) and Weatherbug are my most important 3rd party apps for my work. Quick Launch is more of a convenience thing.

Last time, when Mobihand updated to my new PIN, the newly generated Quick Launch key didn't work and I had to go through vendor support for a key that worked. Waiting to see what happens this time.

Getting the replacement device through insurance was the easy part. The rest of this key stuff is the part that's irritating.

07-24-10 06:52 PM
    Believe it or not, MobiHand got back to me on a Sunday evening.

Like you, I learned a while ago that if you switch devices after 3pm on a Friday, it's a coin toss should you have any problems. And if you have an issue and you need tech support on the weekend, oftentimes, support is lacking as it seems like it's the 'not-so-knowledgeable part-timers' that get stuck working weekends.
    07-24-10 07:10 PM
    Yeah, QuickLaunch was $5, so was Weatherbug Elite. PI was $13 - but yes, it's not a lot of money, and the thread was meant to be light hearted.
    07-25-10 07:05 AM
    i'm having the same issue. Activated mt replacement BlackBerry on Friday, and submitted my PIN change request to Mobihand that day. Sunday, and still no PIN change. i emailed them twice also so far. Pretty frustrating.

i have many paid apps, and they're worth it to me. Mobihand is the problem here. i was able to re-register some of my apps by going to Bellshare's site and changing my PIN there (BerryBuzz and Berryweather). Some apps were tied to an email address and code so they switched too.

i just can't re-register apps that are tied to my PIN until Mobihand wakes up. i miss QuickLanuch! i like when apps are registered to an email address and activation code instead of the PIN (Drive Safe.ly, Tether, Slacker).

07-25-10 07:15 AM
    I feel sorry for you guys! I had the same problem when my new Bold 9650 hit. I was with the first wave of Bold, you know when everyone from Verizon bought them online and they all shipped and arrived in the mail the same day and everyone was hitting the Mobihand store to change their pins to transfer software over? Yeah...that day! Devices arrived on FRIDAyS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I got PIN change info on Monday but by then I had repurchased all my software because I couldn't be all weekend with a brand-new kick buttinski phone and NO BLOODY SOFTWARE...so I have purchased it twice and I am either stupid and unhappy about it (or both...)

That is a rhetorical comment, by the way...I am not entertaining clarification.
    Thank you.
    07-25-10 07:26 AM
    I agree the whole concept of a license key tied to the PIN was a bad idea.
    This I disagree with. Without this type of registration (or some other unique
    type) these apps would be pirated to no end.

As to the MobiHand issue. I went through the same. When I got the 9700
    I changed my device and all but two of my apps re-registered. The two that
    did not it took me almost a week to straighten out. One I gave up and went
    to the developer (Forums Moderator Shao18.)

They really need to beef up their CS department. Like yesterday.
    07-25-10 07:27 AM
    They can still use a unique activation code and tie it to a specific email address. That works fine. They do need better support, though, i agree.

i feel bad for the guy that bought all his apps again! i'm much too thrifty to do that! Not all apps are cheap. Drive Safe.ly is $13, Geocache Navigator $29, etc. Besides, the $2 apps add up quickly!

i emailed Nikkisoft about QL and no reply there either. i keep pressing my spacebar automatically and getting the code screen. Ha

07-25-10 07:41 AM
    AG,
    In his next sentence, jrohland suggested using phone numbers as the registration key.
    07-25-10 07:43 AM
    Phone number or email address would be much better than PINs.

07-25-10 07:44 AM
    AG,
    In his next sentence, jrohland suggested using phone numbers as the registration key.
    Phone number or email address would be much better than PINs.
    Both go to my point that there should be some sort of unique identifier although
    I am not quite sure that a phone number or email is the best option. Swap out a
    friends SIM and you are golden.

I still think PIN is good and PIN and email (as Fixmo does) is best.
    07-25-10 08:09 AM
    They can still use a unique activation code and tie it to a specific email address. That works fine.
    I could sign into my email on anyphone and thus put my paid app on anyone elses then. Also my husband and I share emails. That would not work. I had no problem getting any of my codes when I switched to my 9650.

07-25-10 08:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD