So when someone preaches "don't buy Blackberry" that basically leaves 2 buying options. Not much choice is there.
    Since BBs are now part of one of the two Evil Empires, I fail to see your point.
    04-10-16 01:55 PM
    lets just say there are a lot of American companies that would LOVE to see Blackberry die off completely, and we don't need any help from Britain to speed it up. There is a lot more to this story.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Who? And what "more to the story"? I realize it is a deliciously dramatic way to end a post but a few more prosaic links would be actually more believable.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-10-16 01:58 PM
    I think everyone in different countries also know to buy anything before the purchase.
    04-10-16 02:12 PM
    lets just say there are a lot of American companies that would LOVE to see Blackberry die off completely, and we don't need any help from Britain to speed it up. There is a lot more to this story.

Awesome!
    I was bored but now it seems there is intrigue in the offing.
    JeepBB and Ronindan like this.
    04-10-16 02:41 PM
    Who? And what "more to the story"? I realize it is a deliciously dramatic way to end a post but a few more prosaic links would be actually more believable.

I swear I saw some men in black loitering around BB's headquarter in Waterloo. Or they could just be real estate agents. ;-)
    04-10-16 03:26 PM
    I believe you wish this to be true, but I doubt it is. How does a company with 0.3% market share scare anyone?
    Nobody in their right mind would think Blackberry can "scare" anyone right now in this state, I am concerned for the 4500 Jobs at Blackberry and this is actually more than Bombardier's 3000 and they are going to likely get a bailout from the Canadian government.

However you want to look at it, 4500 employees is a hit to the economy no matter how much you want to downplay it.

04-10-16 04:04 PM
    Awesome!
    I was bored but now it seems there is intrigue in the offing.
    Yup, cool eh? Especially from those that don't own Blackberries anymore and are here for the "entertainment" of it all. Glad I can entertain

04-10-16 04:05 PM
    Nobody in their right mind would think Blackberry can "scare" anyone right now in this state, I am concerned for the 4500 Jobs at Blackberry and this is actually more than Bombardier's 3000 and they are going to likely get a bailout from the Canadian government.

However you want to look at it, 4500 employees is a hit to the economy no matter how much you want to downplay it.

Thus their shift to a software company, right? No one, as you said, wants to see people lose their job. If this works out, hopefully most will be saved.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-10-16 04:06 PM
    Thus their shift to a software company, right? No one, as you said, wants to see people lose their job. If this works out, hopefully most will be saved.
    it also takes Blackberry getting people interested in Hardware again, and if a little "patriotism" from Canadians helps to buy a few phones, then more power to them, it all helps.

04-10-16 04:09 PM
    As a Canadian I support BB by buying some of their stock. And if they have to stop making hardware in order for them to survive - then I wish them well and still support them.
    04-10-16 04:11 PM
    it also takes Blackberry getting people interested in Hardware again, and if a little "patriotism" from Canadians helps to buy a few phones, then more power to them, it all helps.

If people really want BB to survive, they should buy bb stock and not focus too much on their phones as the hardware business is a loss leader for BB.
    Last edited by Ronindan; 04-10-16 at 04:28 PM.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    04-10-16 04:13 PM

Why does it require hardware?
    04-10-16 04:24 PM
    She only got it on Friday and its an adjustment. I set it up fully on Saturday and taught her the BB10 system but its all new to her. I wanted to get her a phone that was similar to the Bold but larger as unfortunately her vision is not as good as it used to be. I am really impressed how beautiful the phone is though. I think she will grow to love it.
    04-10-16 04:37 PM
    Yup, cool eh? Especially from those that don't own Blackberries anymore and are here for the "entertainment" of it all. Glad I can entertain

So no intrigue after all?
    Bummer.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-10-16 04:38 PM
    While I may agree with what you said; these phones are excellent products. The unfortunate think is the damage the Brand has suffered. Did BB get complacent? Yes-- Did they get a bit cocky? Yes- But I believe the last few such as the Classic, Passport and Priv are great quality and just happen to be made in Canada. I don't know much about the U.K Auto Industry but a bit of a valid point.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-10-16 04:42 PM
    If people really want BB to survive, they should buy bb stock and not focus too much on their phones as the hardware business is a loss leader for BB.
    For sure that helps a company stay in the game but do people REALLY want to buy stocks? People are often afraid to buy into a company they think can go belly up. Right now is a good time because shares are low but people would have to keep them a long time before there is any increase and then they cash them out and Blackberry has to pay out that $$$$. I understand what you're saying, but ultimately I think it is better if a company can sell their product.

04-10-16 04:55 PM
    While I may agree with what you said; these phones are excellent products. The unfortunate think is the damage the Brand has suffered. Did BB get complacent? Yes-- Did they get a bit cocky? Yes- But I believe the last few such as the Classic, Passport and Priv are great quality and just happen to be made in Canada. I don't know much about the U.K Auto Industry but a bit of a valid point.
    Just one thing - the priv, classic and passport are not made in Canada. As before they were made in China, Malaysia, Thailand and Mexico (unless I am mistaken).
    04-10-16 04:56 PM
    She only got it on Friday and its an adjustment. I set it up fully on Saturday and taught her the BB10 system but its all new to her. I wanted to get her a phone that was similar to the Bold but larger as unfortunately her vision is not as good as it used to be. I am really impressed how beautiful the phone is though. I think she will grow to love it.
    awesome!

04-10-16 04:56 PM
    So no intrigue after all?
    Bummer.
    Never say Never

04-10-16 04:57 PM
    For sure that helps a company stay in the game but do people REALLY want to buy stocks? People are often afraid to buy into a company they think can go belly up. Right now is a good time because shares are low but people would have to keep them a long time before there is any increase and then they cash them out and Blackberry has to pay out that $$$$. I understand what you're saying, but ultimately I think it is better if a company can sell their product.

But people are not buying their phones to begin with. So if people in CB really want to support BB and keep them afloat - then investing (buying stock) is the only viable option left. It took 1 billion dollars from Prem Wetsa to keep BB afloat and not hardware sales.
    04-10-16 04:59 PM
    But people are not buying their phones to begin with. So if people in CB really want to support BB and keep them afloat - then investing (buying stock) is the only viable option left. It took 1 billion dollars from Prem Wetsa to keep BB afloat and not hardware sales.
    Yes but it is still very important for a company to sell their product that they invest $$, time and innovation on otherwise it is like living on Welfare from check to check. That is the goal of any buisness, ultimately.

04-10-16 05:03 PM
    But people are not buying their phones to begin with.
    And this is what has to change, because it is why they are in the situation they are in. They need some amazing new innovation or gimmick that everyone thinks they cannot live without like Siri, or a glass keyboard that raises to give taptic feedback, anything.

04-10-16 05:05 PM
    I believe that the Mobile Market is in change mode. Since there are newer cheaper players out there; not many companies will profit as in the past. So we can argue who was the leader; who is the leader(s)- but what I think that Blackberry is doing right is diversifying so as not to rely so much on hardware. I even think Apple's days of making a ton of money are numbered. They have created all these extra products that are minimal to no success at all. I am not sure where this industry will end up; but it definitely will change.
    04-10-16 05:06 PM
    Yes but it is still very important for a company to sell their product that they invest $$, time and innovation on otherwise it is like living on Welfare from check to check. That is the goal of any buisness, ultimately.

People that are investing on BB are not investing because of hardware. They are buying bb stock because in the commercial world BB is still remembered well for their enterprise solutions. Good and other BB software products are well received.

But of course as BB focuses more on enterprise software the more and more they will need to pull away from being an OEM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-10-16 05:11 PM
    And this is what has to change, because it is why they are in the situation they are in. They need some amazing new innovation or gimmick that everyone thinks they cannot live without like Siri, or a glass keyboard that raises to give taptic feedback, anything.

Apple and Google sell their user an ecosystem (services) (and those company invested billions $$ and other resources to built and maintain those ecosystem).

Sure Siri might be cool etc... but it is part of a package that is sold to a user. Unfortunately BB did not have the foresight to do this. Google for example did - people forget that they spend billions in building server farms to keep their infrastructure up and running. Or how google spent money on a fleet of camera equipped cars to map cities (and other locations) on a street level (how they still do so today). That is the ecosystem that people are talking about - it is not about gimmicks which BB, samsung, lg, Huiwei, motorola, acer, HP, acer and (in some degree) MS produce. But rather an ecosystem that provide a suite of relevant services to a user and is further augmented by 3rd party applications. Gimmicks might catch someone's attention - but it's the services/apps (ecosystem) that retains them.
    04-10-16 05:24 PM
123 12345