Saw this today:

Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) Issue Makes Judge Fine Himself

http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/04/res...-fine-himself/

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 01:54 PM
    He should of turned it off! LOL
    04-16-13 01:59 PM
    FYI..... The phone in question was a Windows phone not a Blackberry which he was used to

Judge fines himself for contempt when his smartphone interrupts hearing - Crimesider - CBS News
    04-16-13 02:07 PM
    Not a lot of people think this is a huge deal but to me at this moment in time it is.
    The Royal Colleges in the UK have exams where if your phone makes a peep, you're automatically disqualified.
    You need a silent mode that's reliable.
    It's insane that in 2013, you can mute the phone, and some apps will still make a noise.
    Just insane. Absolutely shocking.
    I put it on silent the other day and still had alerts coming in and I was just so thankful I wasn't in a situation where that could have had a huge impact on my career.
    richardat and MarsupilamiX like this.
    04-16-13 02:34 PM
    FYI..... The phone in question was a Windows phone not a Blackberry which he was used to

Judge fines himself for contempt when his smartphone interrupts hearing - Crimesider - CBS News
    Agreed, I read it in several articles. Judge used to carry a BB, but switched to a Windows Phone and didn't know how to operate it, hence the pocket incident.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 02:43 PM
    If you are aware that you will be entering an environment where a cell phone noise can get you fined, failed or fired, here's an idea...turn it off (we can remove a BB battery) or better yet, don't bring your cell phone in with you.
    Why would a Judge need a cell phone at the bench? Leave it in chambers.
    04-16-13 02:49 PM
    My point exactly. He shouldn't have his phone with him at the bench.
    04-16-13 03:02 PM
    I'm not so sure he didn't have a BlackBerry...Here's the relevant text:
    "
    Voet has used a Blackberry mobile phone for years, and said he wasn't as familiar with the operation of the new touchscreen, Windows-based phone"

Taken at face value sounds like Windows phone...but perhaps it was misinterpreted from his statement...and should be "a window-based GUI".... referring not to brand name Windows but to a windowing environment.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 03:10 PM
    He should have gotten a Z10 then he probably would not have had the problem! LOL
    04-16-13 03:17 PM
    I'm not so sure he didn't have a BlackBerry...Here's the relevant text:
    "
    Voet has used a Blackberry mobile phone for years, and said he wasn't as familiar with the operation of the new touchscreen, Windows-based phone"

Taken at face value sounds like Windows phone...but perhaps it was misinterpreted from his statement...and should be "a window-based GUI".... referring not to brand name Windows but to a windowing environment.

Posted via CB10
    It was definitely a WP. Other articles about it as well. As others said, he should of left it behind.
    04-16-13 03:19 PM
    He should have gotten a Z10 then he probably would not have had the problem! LOL
    How do you figure that?
    The Z10 makes noises even on silent!
    04-16-13 04:09 PM
    Another great example of where 'reporters' see the words blackberry and issue in the same article and just assume the worst.

Man, if i did a crap job i would be fired... how do these 'reporters' still have jobs?

it CLEARLY says that the phone that caused the issue WAS NOT a BB
    04-16-13 04:13 PM
    Another great example of where 'reporters' see the words blackberry and issue in the same article and just assume the worst.

Man, if i did a crap job i would be fired... how do these 'reporters' still have jobs?

it CLEARLY says that the phone that caused the issue WAS NOT a BB
    Isn't that what people are saying? That it wasn't a BB?
    richardat likes this.
    04-16-13 04:16 PM
    How do you figure that?
    false. if you turn notifications to silent there is no noise. I do it all the time
    04-16-13 04:16 PM
    Isn't that what people are saying? That it wasn't a BB?
    yes, the CB people. but the original article posted by the OP totally misinterpreted the source article, which is what caused the problem
    04-16-13 04:27 PM
    "According to the Inquirer " hahahaha
    It must be a true story.

Posted from my Z10. via CB10
    04-16-13 04:41 PM
    I like that judge! Hope he is always that fair.
    04-16-13 05:32 PM
    false. if you turn notifications to silent there is no noise. I do it all the time
    I use Hub++ for my notifications.
    As apps can't yet see what the system profile is, when you mute the system notifications, alerts from apps still come in at full volume.
    How daft is that?
    And it's a huge issue.
    04-16-13 05:38 PM
    He should be fined for using a windows phone! I'm starting to lose faith in the judicial system. Talk about poor judgement!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 05:45 PM
    Same with every phone out there as far as I know.
    04-16-13 05:54 PM
    Not a lot of people think this is a huge deal but to me at this moment in time it is.
    The Royal Colleges in the UK have exams where if your phone makes a peep, you're automatically disqualified.
    You need a silent mode that's reliable.
    It's insane that in 2013, you can mute the phone, and some apps will still make a noise.
    Just insane. Absolutely shocking.
    I put it on silent the other day and still had alerts coming in and I was just so thankful I wasn't in a situation where that could have had a huge impact on my career.
    I would have also set the volume control to minimum as well as switching to the silent sound profile.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-16-13 06:18 PM
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    04-16-13 06:23 PM
    I would have also set the volume control to minimum as well as switching to the silent sound profile.

Lol sorta defeats the point of having a quick access silent mode.
    BB10 is the only modern device that does this unless I'm mistaken.
    richardat likes this.
    04-16-13 06:45 PM

I would also have put some sound absorbing foam, covered with cotton batting over the speakers, and kept it down with duct tape - so yes, I have no idea what bobauckland is complaining about!
    bobauckland likes this.
    04-16-13 06:47 PM
    How do you figure that?
    What noises?? I have mine on silent no noise comes through it only vibrates cause thats what I set things to.No notification noises,no ringtones nothing but vibrate on my settings.What are you doing??
    04-16-13 06:51 PM
26 12