I am curious. I often hear folks say -- "I don't even need my laptop any more". The tech press also often talks about death of the PC, etc.

Yet I do not know a single person who creates "text-type" documents on their phone. At work we have thousands of files on the intranet that are created on PCs and shared -- .DOC, .XLS, ,PDF files, etc. Also on a personal level, my friends all have PCs and use either Office or an equivalent to make .DOC and .XLS files for whatever purpose they need. I have another friend who is a digital artist and uses Corel Draw to do some amazing stuff.

Obviously image files (pics) are the #1 type of output created on phones, and then videos and perhaps various audio notes and such. That much is obvious. But these files are all created via methods that do not involve text input and manipulation.

Just curious if there are folks here that do this type of thing all day, on a smartphone.

Bill Gates kind of piqued my interest in this with his recent comment about people being frustrated because they can't "create files" on their iPads.
    05-10-13 09:30 PM
    I don't do it regularly, but I have created (from start to finish) documents in Docs to Go in the past. Considering how long my commute can be, it's nice to be able to accomplish something during its duration.
    05-10-13 09:36 PM
    i honestly dont see how people say they dont need a laptop/PC either. I use remote desktop apps sometimes but they dont work for document creation that well IMO

Personally do EDIT docs on my mobile devices if needed but dont creat anything. I have a laptop for that mostly and a PC also. I still think we are a ways off from when people can actually move away from the laptop.

Now the idea that microsoft and Asus have with the tablet and doc is another story. I do think those are close to moving away from the laptop that will be seen right now.
    05-10-13 09:36 PM
    I made a wysiwyg editor for html for a reason

You never know.

And blackbow has been developing an html5 game using only a PlayBook and Curve (he has no laptop)

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 09:38 PM
    Well I wrote my last book on my PlayBook but then I formatted it on my laptop.

I take meeting notes on my Z10 or PlayBook. Sometimes I transfer them to a desktop, some are just for keeping on the phone.

However, I'm not ready to give up my desktop or laptop quite yet. I do use them a lot less though. Just can't see using the tablet or phone for indesign docs and formating word docs still seems easier on a computer.

I haven't really played with ppt. I don't think they can be created on the PlayBook, but they can be edited. I just have never had occasion to try.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 10:09 PM
    Smartphones and tablets are good additional devices to have... Replace my laptop? Heck no!
    05-10-13 10:16 PM
    I've done a doc edit on my phone, but I went crazy trying to work on a ppt once.
    05-10-13 11:14 PM
    As others have said, I do edit documents from time for time. I don't create them on my mobile device, by and large.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 11:15 PM