^^^

Ummm..no. I have no plans to BBM or PIN you, even if I DID have a data plan..

Toll on sister... troll on...
    09-25-09 03:33 PM
    BBM works with the wifi on and the data off. I have done this when international roaming and had the network signal turned off and the wifi on and could send and receive BBM's.
    09-25-09 03:42 PM
    rizzo, I find that hard to believe that BBM works without a data plan, and with the data off and WiFi on. If what you say is true, please educate us on how to do that as I have tried, just to see and it did not work at all. As for people who think they need a data plan as of the 6th of sept., I have a bold and have yet to see at&t try to tell me that i HAVE to have the data plan with it. It is working fine without any problems. I also use my blackberry for everything. I have unlimited texts so, i don't mind having to text instead of BBMing. When I did have BBM it was cool, but I am fine with my unlimited texts. I am always around a wireless router so if i do need the data. I just connect that way. I still don't understand why people talk as if it is SOOOOOOOO bad to not have a data plan. If I want to download ringtones/themes/apps, etc... I do it through the Wifi. I can care less about appworld. That is just me. I have nothing against it at all. If I want apps I can get them through someone else like before appworld.
    09-25-09 07:07 PM
    Where do you get apps from the App World ?

I have no data plan
    10-17-09 04:33 AM
    If you have the app world service book and the app installed, you can just open the app and buy/download whatever app you want.

If you don't have the service book, you have a problem Then i'd suggest the crackberry app store as an alternative.
    10-17-09 06:18 AM
    Thanks for all the info about wifi. I've been looking for ways to save money without giving up my berry. I too am around hot spots all the time and am due for an upgrade. I would be out money in the front end having to buy a wifi berry but over the course of two years would save 720.00. Not something to dismiss lightly. Why pay for what you can get free? And to the people who argue why have a berry w/out a plan, I'm glad you have the extra money. As for me, I have two girls that I'm going to have to put through college. It isn't about me and my wants.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-09 06:45 AM
    I'd do it, but MAKE SURE that when you buy your berry you have the service books for wifi without BIS installed...

I believe these are the two you need to have: (Anyone who can verify this ?)
    Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser[BrowserConfig]
    Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser[WPTCP]

Some providers or retail points have these preinstalled, others don't. If you don't have them you will need to activate BIS for a month to get them.
    10-17-09 06:53 AM
    Thanks for all the info about wifi. I've been looking for ways to save money without giving up my berry. I too am around hot spots all the time and am due for an upgrade. I would be out money in the front end having to buy a wifi berry but over the course of two years would save 720.00. Not something to dismiss lightly. Why pay for what you can get free? And to the people who argue why have a berry w/out a plan, I'm glad you have the extra money. As for me, I have two girls that I'm going to have to put through college. It isn't about me and my wants.

You will have to switch carriers to someone other than Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, or TMobile as they all now require a data plan for smartphones. Or switch back to a feature phone. Or stay with the phone you have.
    10-17-09 07:32 AM
    You will have to switch carriers to someone other than Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, or TMobile as they all now require a data plan for smartphones. Or switch back to a feature phone. Or stay with the phone you have.
    I do not have a data plan and have had a blackberry for a long time now. I am on at&t. Please explain to me why I have yet to hear something like at&t forcing me to switch back to a feature phone. Ever since people have been saying things like that I have replaced two blackberry bolds, and they know I don't have a data plan, I have yet to hear something of them telling me to switch to a regular phone. So I don't believe that. Also, why will they try to tell people to switch to a phone that they paid for. It is wrong
    10-20-09 10:29 PM
    It was in the last three bills I've received from ATT. If you are replacing a bold with another bold, you will not have a problem since you are not changing your actual phone model (and you are grandfathered).

If you were to switch to a different model of phone (say a curve or a WinMob device), it is a new phone and that is when the data plan is attached.
    10-21-09 03:33 PM
    Oh, OK, but, I am only saying because I only recently replaced my Curve 8310 for a Bold 9000. So I don't know. Thanks for the info.
    10-31-09 11:46 AM
    It depends.
    If you have att service but u turned it off in manage connections to uncheck, and u only want to use wifi then the answer is no u won't be charged for any any data usage. But if their both on don't expect your att to automatically know whether u wanna use ur data through ur wifi or through att cuz I personally wouldn't doubt att would have fun billing u for that. So for reassurance just uncheck att in manage connections, and keep wifi on.

10-31-09 12:03 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD