I turn data off and wifi on, and not get charged for going online?
    09-23-09 09:54 AM
    I believe so, but people are going to ask why have a BB without a data plan?

You won't be able to get BB services without it.
    09-23-09 09:59 AM
    I know of this, obviously from lookign at my trackrecord/profile, I am not a new person here at Crackberry, I am just new with the Bold.

For anyone who says, you NEED the data plan to get the MOST out of your Blackberry Bold, I say to them, this is true, please give me 300 dollars, I will put that down towards my data plan for the first year, or hey, even 100, for a few months, and then I will take care of the rest.

Until I can afford that, I will stay without a data plan.
    09-23-09 10:06 AM
    I turn data off and wifi on, and not get charged for going online?
    I do NOT have a data plan, and actually called AT&T to have them block all data useage, thus there is no way for me to "accidentally" log on and acrue charges. I can't even send MMS messages, as they use 'data." I know this sounds a bit extreme, but for me, it was the easiest way for me to make sure I dont get any surprises in my bill.

My WiFi works perfect though. and I do NOT incure ANY data useage fees.

and for those that think about chiming in with "..blah blah blah. why have a BB w/o a data plan blah blah blah..." suffice it to say that i did, but with my finanical distress, I had to cancel it. 'nuff said there.
    09-23-09 10:12 AM
    Yup, same here Rock. I too have had to take mine off. I go online on my BB all the time with WiFi and love it. I am usually around a place with a wireless router, so I am lucky. You will not get charged. I did not go through the extreme of not allowing my account to use data at all through at&t, but I just make sure in the browser configuration to use the hotspot browser instead of the MediaNet. That way, it uses the WiFi wen browsing and not OTA. I download things like themes that say OTA through the WiFi though and it works fine without charging me. Hope all this helps.
    09-23-09 10:47 AM
    Not only am I going to delete media net as an app, Im going to turn off data, and only keep wifi on.

Yeah I dont realy need to use BBM, and that and a few other apps are the only real thing you pay for. Not wort 25 a month, or if it is, they should at least let you try it for free for 3 months, then allow you to cancel or keep it.

Thanks for the info, I am always around a wifi router. And how is the call quality, for those who switch between the 2 and 3g radio?

Is 3G a lot better?
    09-23-09 12:20 PM
    IF you are on ATT, be prepared to switch to a non-smartphone to remove the data plan.
    09-23-09 01:25 PM
    IF you are on ATT, be prepared to switch to a non-smartphone to remove the data plan.
    That's right they now require the data plan on the devices.
    09-23-09 01:34 PM
    It IS possible to go on wifi without a plan. I do it like this because my plan wont be active for another 3 days. Trust me, you can

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-09 03:41 PM
    ... And how is the call quality, for those who switch between the 2 and 3g radio?

Is 3G a lot better?

unless you upgrade to one of the latest OS versions, you dont have the option to switch between 2G and 3G... not sure what OS is it that allows you to do this, but it's one that's been recently released.
    09-23-09 03:57 PM
    It depends on your carrier. Some BlackBerrys come straight from the factory with the right service books to use WiFi, others don't. AT&T is one of those carriers who doesn't provide them, I think.

Call quality is roughly the same between 2 and 3G. You won't even notice the difference if you're not a data user. 2G can only have 1 connection at once, so while you're calling you wont receive any texts, they'll come afterwards. This is worth it because using 2G saves A LOT of battery.

Also, if you don't have a data plan DO NOT ERASE OR HEAVILY UPGRADE YOUR OS ! Your service books will be gone and your phone will be useless :S Happened to me :S Without a BIS is't impossible to get those service books back on there. If you do not have a choice besides erasing your phone, I think you'll have to subscribe to 1 month of BIS to get your service books back through the blackberry server...
    09-23-09 04:32 PM
    I already have a curve, and I already dont have a data plan.

Im getting a Bold, and I wont need a data plan, I dont have service books, and I wont be changing them.

And you are wrong about 2G, you can receive texts while talking.....dont make up stuff. You just can't receive data, while talking or calls while online.
    09-23-09 10:12 PM
    I do NOT have a data plan, and actually called AT&T to have them block all data useage, thus there is no way for me to "accidentally" log on and acrue charges. I can't even send MMS messages, as they use 'data." I know this sounds a bit extreme, but for me, it was the easiest way for me to make sure I dont get any surprises in my bill.

My WiFi works perfect though. and I do NOT incure ANY data useage fees.

and for those that think about chiming in with "..blah blah blah. why have a BB w/o a data plan blah blah blah..." suffice it to say that i did, but with my finanical distress, I had to cancel it. 'nuff said there.
    Enjoy your push email..opps! You can't get it!

09-23-09 10:53 PM
    I already have a curve, and I already dont have a data plan.

Im getting a Bold, and I wont need a data plan, I dont have service books, and I wont be changing them.

And you are wrong about 2G, you can receive texts while talking.....dont make up stuff. You just can't receive data, while talking or calls while online.
    No service books, no wifi

Figured texts were also data, my bad...
    09-24-09 04:46 AM
    That's right they now require the data plan on the devices.
    Please explain... I want to make sure that there was something I did not miss. They require you have a data plan when the phone is purchased yes, but after that you can call to turn off the data plan. Did they now change something???
    09-24-09 08:18 PM
    September 6th is when the new policy went into effect. No smartphone on the ATT network without a data plan.
    09-24-09 08:56 PM
    September 6th is when the new policy went into effect. No smartphone on the ATT network without a data plan.
    That's good news! Maybe it will put an end to these "I don't have data plan" threads.

09-24-09 08:59 PM
    I dont have a data plan..

oh yeah,..by the way.. I dont have a data plan.
    09-24-09 09:05 PM
    Enjoy your push email..opps! You can't get it!

:idot...
    09-24-09 09:11 PM
    Just wondering if I can tether to my laptop, or will At&t find out and charge me? I have unlimited data.
    09-24-09 09:47 PM
    Just wondering if I can tether to my laptop, or will At&t find out and charge me? I have unlimited data.

I think they'd eventually find out...I know they have a tethering plan, so perhaps you couldn't even tether w/o a plan..
    09-24-09 10:16 PM
    You guys make it sound like I dont want one, I DO want a data plan, I simply cannot afford 300 dollars a year towards one.

So I have wifi turned on, and I disabled data, I was unable to go online

I turned Data on, and kept wifi on, and I Was able to go online via browser, my question now is, will that charge me data through ATT pay per use(since I have no plan) or will it just go on wifi(in connected through my home router)
    09-25-09 11:36 AM
    That's a stupid bug, you can't use wifi with mobile data turned off...

If you want to make sure you're only surfing on WiFi, go to options - advanced options - browser and set the default browser to hotspot browser: when you're on WAP and try to open the browser it'll give an error message without making a connection
    09-25-09 11:41 AM
    ^^^
    yup, that's what I have mine set to...

and btw JD914: I dont have a data plan...
    09-25-09 02:21 PM
    ^^^
    yup, that's what I have mine set to...

and btw JD914: I dont have a data plan...
    Your loss BTW want to BBM or PIN me? Opps that's right no data plan.

09-25-09 03:01 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD