Just wondering if you keep your wifi enabled, will it eat up battery life opposed to disabling it? if so why does require too much battery?
    11-12-09 12:19 PM
    it doesn't. 3G eats up battery. WiFi is suppose to do the opposite.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 12:31 PM
    it doesn't. 3G eats up battery. WiFi is suppose to do the opposite.

i hear the opposite.... i need to try it for myself....grrrrrrrr
    11-12-09 12:44 PM
    you hear 3G doesn't and wifi does? who ever told you that LIED!! 3G eats battery life up. and i don't know IF wifi eats it up but if it does, its does it alot slower than 3G does. I keep my wifi on 24/7 and it doesn't seem too bad for me.
    11-12-09 02:23 PM
    well wifi shoudlnt kill the battery if you arent connected to a netwerk while still being enable, i mean in theory it could kill battery a bit faster by trying to search for available netwerks so ur better off having it off
    11-12-09 02:24 PM
    3G is the battery killer. I leave WiFi and bluetooth on with no major drain. As soon as I turn mobile mode to 2G and 3G the battery will run down in 5-6 hours.

Steve
    11-12-09 02:42 PM
    Yes, WiFi definite will not kill you battery like 3G. I use it at work and home instead of 3G and I go nearly two days without a charge and full use.
    11-12-09 02:46 PM
    HA! Well, USING the WiFi absolutely kills your battery! I listen to streaming media on my phone, usually with it plugged into the charger. If it's not plugged in, it's dead in 2 hours.
    11-12-09 02:49 PM
    At idle, I think 3G drains battery faster than wifi.

If you are streaming via wifi, of course your battery will drain in a few hours, because (a) there's continous data traffic, (b) music player is running.
    11-12-09 03:36 PM
    Yep...wifi left on will kill the battery in about two hours.
    Just happened to me last night when I was surfing at home on wifi when company came for a visit... hurriedly put the phone down without shutting off wifi or plugging into the charger... when I came back to it about an hour and a half later, the phone was warm to the touch and the battery almost completely dead. It was at 90% when I put it down.
    11-12-09 03:37 PM
    wow i got lots of people agreeing and disaggreeing.... i will do a test on my phone to see if wifi drains it or not.... will keep you guys posted...LOL
    11-12-09 04:05 PM
    I rarely enable my wifi so I don't know from personal use. A friend of mine that works for Tmo told me that wifi will drain your battery faster.
    11-12-09 04:09 PM
    Just wondering if you keep your wifi enabled, will it eat up battery life opposed to disabling it? if so why does require too much battery?
    Having 3G and Wi-Fi on together consumes much more power than just 3G.

I have a Wi-Fi router at home and used Wi-Fi at home instead of 3G. Over the course of several days I tried an experiment and just used 3G instead of Wi-Fi at home and my battery at the end of the day was at 50% versus 20-30%.

Since I have a 500MB data plan, I don't really need to use Wi-Fi, so I just keep it off now.

However, I have great 3G signal at home, so it might not apply to everyone.
    11-12-09 04:10 PM
    i have disabled my Wifi and its been 13 hrs already and my battery is at 90% still. Seem to be going really well with Wifi off. I also have my screen to 10%, and dim light to 10 secs. will keep you posted until it reaches 20% left.
    11-12-09 06:22 PM
    I have never turned off the wifi. At home I have it sync with my router and I'm still have like a day and a half of battery with moderate to high use. I use the BBM a lot! and I make an average number of calls during the day.

I'll make the test with the wifi off but I can tell that in my case the wifi is not draining my battery
    11-12-09 06:54 PM
    wifi, 3g, bluetooth, are all radio signals and need power to work. the more stuff you have on the more power you will use.
    11-12-09 07:36 PM
    I have EDGE and WIFI enabled whenever I can connect to WIFI. 3G is a batter killer and WIFI is a battery saver.

11-12-09 07:42 PM
    I have EDGE and WIFI enabled whenever I can connect to WIFI. 3G is a batter killer and WIFI is a battery saver.

I do pretty much the same. If I'm not at home or work, then I turn on my 3G
    since no WiFi is available.
    11-12-09 07:46 PM
    I have had 3g disabled for a while and noticed a HUUUUUUUGE difference in battery life even when WIFI was enabled. I tested it for a few days with 3g and wifi disabled but really didnt notice any difference from when i had just my 3G disabled.
    11-12-09 08:40 PM
    3G will eat the **** out of your battery, and FAST.
    11-12-09 08:47 PM
    16hrs with Wifi disabled battery is at 80% full AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by petahsumething; 11-13-09 at 06:48 AM.
    11-12-09 09:40 PM
    Both will drain your battery, try not having both turned on at the same time
    11-12-09 10:52 PM
    The reason so many agree/disagree is because there are so many variables as to what consumes battery power. The OS, apps running, screen brightness, band mode, WiFi/BT, etc... all play a part in eating battery power. WiFi alone is not the culprit. Consider some not so well know facts:

WiFi has many power modes, including a power saving mechanism built in. By default it is set to autopilot, meaning: when WiFi is not in use, it automatically goes into power save mode, and wakes up again when back in use. WiFi forced on active will eat up battery like no tomorrow, yet, you can only do that by going into the e-screens.

The facts: High data traffic will kill the battery period, no matter what the connection. 2G is of course the battery saver.

Will WiFi eat your battery? Like all things, if you use it lots. It will not drain your battery, however, if it is not in use.

11-12-09 11:16 PM
    great answer from the last member.
    would it not be really nice if a lab test was carried out with testing all draing parameters.
    i have a 500 mb internet plan but my wifi is the best way and fastest whilst at home.
    nice to know the wifi goes into sleep mode if not used, just out of interest where do you turn it on to full time, not that i want to do it.
    regards
    pete
    11-13-09 12:52 AM
    great answer from the last member.
    would it not be really nice if a lab test was carried out with testing all draing parameters.
    i have a 500 mb internet plan but my wifi is the best way and fastest whilst at home.
    nice to know the wifi goes into sleep mode if not used, just out of interest where do you turn it on to full time, not that i want to do it.
    regards
    pete
    Too many parameters to test IMHO.

You can access those options in the E-screen.

11-13-09 12:58 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD