I've tried turning off gps in the last several days but I honestly couldn't notice the difference. So do you guys keep it on or off and does it make difference for you guys? I have the Tour by the way...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-11 08:48 AM
    I always leave it on and get exceptional battery life on my 9650 running .431

I think as long as you do not actively use it (meaning having Google Maps or another GPS program running) you're fine....even putting Google Maps in the background won't drain your GPS.
    Last edited by Culex316; 01-28-11 at 11:52 AM. Reason: correction
    01-28-11 08:55 AM
    ....even putting Google Maps in the background won't drain your GPS.
    Thats not really true as when I left it on accidentally I would have a pretty noticeable drain on my battery. I always had my Bolds GPS on(with enhanced on too) and battery life was the exact same. Even with my new phone I have the GPS on constantly and dont notice a difference.
    01-28-11 09:00 AM
    I say leave it on. I don't get this turn all the options that make a smartphone a smartphone off. If you use any applications that use GPS than your constantly gonna have to turn it on anyway. Even when its off its still technically on for E911. That will allow your phone to be located only in an emergency. So when location is on the GPS is only activated when you open an app that uses it. Otherwise why would it always be "searching for satellites" when you use google maps, blackberry maps or poynt? Wouldn't it already have your location?

01-28-11 11:31 AM
    I always leave it off and get exceptional battery life on my 9650 running .431

I think as long as you do not actively use it (meaning having Google Maps or another GPS program running) you're fine....even putting Google Maps in the background won't drain your GPS.
    I always leave it on and get exceptional battery life with 431. There's really no reason turn off WiFi or GPS. BT, however, will drain your battery.
    01-28-11 11:41 AM
    I always leave it on and get exceptional battery life with 431. There's really no reason turn off WiFi or GPS. BT, however, will drain your battery.
    oops, that's what I meant to say lol
    01-28-11 11:51 AM
    While it could be negligible, I leave it off. With Quicklaunch having an easy-to-use GPS Toggle, I see no need to leave it running, at least given my usage.
    01-28-11 12:51 PM
    While it could be negligible, I leave it off. With Quicklaunch having an easy-to-use GPS Toggle, I see no need to leave it running, at least given my usage.
    I use poynt a lot, so I leave it on. I do use the BT toggle in QL.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-28-11 at 01:13 PM.
    01-28-11 01:05 PM
    I've tried turning off gps in the last several days but I honestly couldn't notice the difference. So do you guys keep it on or off and does it make difference for you guys? I have the Tour by the way...

I'm on a Bold OS5.1006 and I leave my GSP on all the time because of an app I have "Mobile Recovery" and for Poynt. I get very good battery life and even before I ran my gsp all the time, I never noticed any "saved" battery life of not having it on.

I'm also a big believer in the weather affecting the drain on battery life. If its crappy out, cloudy hazy etc., I think the signal has to work harder. Idk if its fact, but on days that are rainy, cloudy, hazy etc., I DO see a difference in my battery drain.
    01-28-11 01:12 PM
    I always leave GPS and wifi on and I get great battery life.
    01-28-11 01:21 PM
    I'm on a Bold OS5.1006 and I leave my GSP on all the time because of an app I have "Mobile Recovery" and for Poynt. I get very good battery life and even before I ran my gsp all the time, I never noticed any "saved" battery life of not having it on.

I'm also a big believer in the weather affecting the drain on battery life. If its crappy out, cloudy hazy etc., I think the signal has to work harder. Idk if its fact, but on days that are rainy, cloudy, hazy etc., I DO see a difference in my battery drain.
    Its funny how you say that, its raining and hazy here and my battery went down so much faster then it did yesterday when it was sunny outside. Too funny
    01-31-11 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD