I would be very reluctant to correlate the higher ratio of BBOS-to-BB 10 device sales with user satisfaction for BBOS since net subscribers continue to decline. However, it's pretty apparent that BB 10 has not been able to increase subscriber growth, let alone stem sub losses. With questionable device pricing in emerging markets and the lack of BIS, it's clear BlackBerry has not provided a clear or compelling upgrade path for existing subs.

So did BlackBerry throw the baby out with the bath water with BB 10? Did the company focus too much on the western markets at the expense of users in emerging markets, which make up a significant chunk of its existing sub base? Can belfastdispatcher rightly say, "I told you so"?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 12:31 PM
    I dont think you can say anything because we dont know anything. Are there new sales numbers out there yet since last quarter report? While the news today probably isnt good there still is no way to say that BBOS would make any difference. BB10 could outselling BBOS but its still just not selling enough. We don't know anything
    08-12-13 12:36 PM
    BElfast just does'nt liek change.He probably wanted BBOS forever.

What BB has TREMENDOUSLY FAILED is to create a upgrade path for its legacy users with marketing consumer ingagement. All it would take to make a difference is 1-3 emails with new device info yet nothing.They pretty much walked with bbos users got to a light crossed the road opened up a shop and didn't send an invite to the person across the road.

Its amateaur stuff up there.These so called paid educated employees would of died would'nt of made it where I grew up.
    08-12-13 12:41 PM
    I dont think you can say anything because we dont know anything. Are there new sales numbers out there yet since last quarter report? While the news today probably isnt good there still is no way to say that BBOS would make any difference. BB10 could outselling BBOS but its still just not selling enough. We don't know anything
    Do you think the company would release an announcement like today's if the numbers it sees are promising?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 12:41 PM
    Please stay on topic and not discuss other members being banned. That has nothing to do with the topic.
    BergerKing and revtech like this.
    08-12-13 01:26 PM
    They would be in the same situation if they stuck with legacy devices, maybe worse.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    08-12-13 01:28 PM
    Who cares if belfastdispatcher is vindicated?

Let's just say that if BBRY is sold; okay, he's vindicated. Now what?
    08-12-13 01:29 PM
    I saw no numbers of how anything is selling in todays news. There is alot happening behind the scenes that we dont know and cant see. Taking the company private seems like a forward looking way to keep the company continuing to operate without the media attention (which is bad right now) dragging them down. Its not good to have to take this type of move IMO but again we are only seeing the outside and nothing we can be sure of.
    08-12-13 01:32 PM
    I saw no numbers of how anything is selling in todays news. There is alot happening behind the scenes that we dont know and cant see. Taking the company private seems like a forward looking way to keep the company continuing to operate without the media attention (which is bad right now) dragging them down. Its not good to have to take this type of move IMO but again we are only seeing the outside and nothing we can be sure of.
    Pretty much. It has been 8 hours or so since the news of Blackberry perhaps considering a sale and all the emergency
    alarms have been sounded off. Same happened when the rumor was going around that Microsoft may buy them. I
    wouldn't doubt that maybe the two companies were in talks. Doesn't mean it would have happened. There's a lot of
    talk in business. Just like there's a lot of potential trade talk between teams in sports.
    08-12-13 01:36 PM
    Please stay on topic and not discuss other members being banned. That has nothing to do with the topic.
    Sorry, I guess I was just surprised, didn't mean to start something . .
    08-12-13 01:52 PM
    BB can't be the hardware business for much longer. Thor has been saying this between the lines for some time now. They were hoping to buy some time to exit the device market and transition to a software company. The launch was not executed well to say the least. Also, the upper end of the smartphone market has stalled. When I read the statement this morning, I am looking at the first sentence and "scale" is the word that jumps out at me. This is were I think they want to go. A partnership with a hardware maker that has scale, to produce the hardware. They have no chance at the hardware side alone, ain't going to happen. Become a software, mdm, connecting ens points company. Downsize the company, and reinvent what blackberry will be in the coming years.
    08-12-13 02:01 PM
    There is no vindication - the main feeling amongst BBOS users is indifference. They continue to use their old devices because they work at at the level equivalent to their intended use. Most users in the USA left the fold in 2011-12.

Speculation on my part but if the Z10 would have been released a year earlier but running a QNX clone of BBOS before going full bore into BB10, they might have had more luck in the marketplace at that time.
    08-12-13 02:08 PM
    Ok ... if we start up a new Topic can we discuss the banning of BelfastDispatcher ?
    raino likes this.
    08-12-13 02:16 PM
    Whatever area that needs to be done or corrected that allows BlackBerry pricing is more competitive is greatly welcome. I don't feel like BlackBerry price their devices competitively in order to attract and convince new users to be on board. Perhaps the original hardware cost doesn't give BlackBerry enough room to wiggle to be competitive.

BB can't be the hardware business for much longer. Thor has been saying this between the lines for some time now. They were hoping to buy some time to exit the device market and transition to a software company. The launch was not executed well to say the least. Also, the upper end of the smartphone market has stalled. When I read the statement this morning, I am looking at the first sentence and "scale" is the word that jumps out at me. This is were I think they want to go. A partnership with a hardware maker that has scale, to produce the hardware. They have no chance at the hardware side alone, ain't going to happen. Become a software, mdm, connecting ens points company. Downsize the company, and reinvent what blackberry will be in the coming years.
    08-12-13 02:18 PM
    Nope. BBOS sales were going down and still are going down. Even the cheap BBOS device would not be able to compete in developing markets as data plans are dropping in cost in those markets and cheap Android sales are on the rise. All that this is proving is that BlackBerry waited way to long to start the migration away from BBOS to BB10. They probably should have bought WebOS as a short term fix for the consumer space (it was a good OS and BB10 has some features that were obviously modeled after it), then looked to QNX and BB10 as the long term play for the unified consumer/business OS of the future.
    08-12-13 02:30 PM
    They would be in the same situation if they stuck with legacy devices, maybe worse.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    But that assumes they made no changes to BBOS and didn't release updated hardware--which pretty much explains the 2.5 years prior to the release of BB 10. What would have happened had QNX never happened, and the company continued to develop BBOS?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 05:38 PM
    Whatever area that needs to be done or corrected that allows BlackBerry pricing is more competitive is greatly welcome. I don't feel like BlackBerry price their devices competitively in order to attract and convince new users to be on board. Perhaps the original hardware cost doesn't give BlackBerry enough room to wiggle to be competitive.
    Maybe they just know that without a cheap data proposition like BIS, BB 10 devices are a non-starter in these markets anyway...

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 05:43 PM
    Such a move would take a long time, assuming there's an equity firm that's even interested. I think the only reason that option seems to be getting the same attention as an acquisition is due to the Canadian ownership issue.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 05:51 PM
    Pretty much. It has been 8 hours or so since the news of Blackberry perhaps considering a sale and all the emergency
    alarms have been sounded off. Same happened when the rumor was going around that Microsoft may buy them. I
    wouldn't doubt that maybe the two companies were in talks. Doesn't mean it would have happened. There's a lot of
    talk in business. Just like there's a lot of potential trade talk between teams in sports.
    BlackBerry issued a press release announcing a special committee exploring options. So, it's a little more substantial than a rumor. But how this is different than last year's head fake with RBC and JP Morgan is anybody's guess...

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 05:57 PM
    Ok ... if we start up a new Topic can we discuss the banning of BelfastDispatcher ?
    I would be inclined to respond "No" to this question.
    08-12-13 06:14 PM
    I would be inclined to respond "No" to this question.
    I believe in free speech and I have never seen BD go over the line... do not agree with him often but I hope this banning is not because of his anti BB10 views.
    lnichols and raino like this.
    08-12-13 06:52 PM
    I would be very reluctant to correlate the higher ratio of BBOS-to-BB 10 device sales with user satisfaction for BBOS since net subscribers continue to decline. However, it's pretty apparent that BB 10 has not been able to increase subscriber growth, let alone stem sub losses. With questionable device pricing in emerging markets and the lack of BIS, it's clear BlackBerry has not provided a clear or compelling upgrade path for existing subs.

So did BlackBerry throw the baby out with the bath water with BB 10? Did the company focus too much on the western markets at the expense of users in emerging markets, which make up a significant chunk of its existing sub base? Can belfastdispatcher rightly say, "I told you so"?

Posted via CB10
    Boy was I right or was I right?
    09-20-13 04:14 PM
    Sort of - I think that BBOS is a deadend but pretty much anyone who said that BB10 had failed to take off and there was no consumer interest was right.

I really feel sorry for the people who were taking stock advice off phoneys and are now $100k or more in the hole based on worthless almost religious predictions built on thin-air.
    09-20-13 04:16 PM
    People don't want BB10, and barely anyone wants BBOS. Just more people want BBOS than BB10 (AFAIK, which may have something to do with price and lack of BIS in other markets). The US doesn't want either, period.

This doesn't vindicate anything. This just shows lack of interest in both platforms.

BBOS sales have been on the decline for a while.
    09-20-13 04:20 PM
    It means that the "BB10 is has only been out there for..." excuse is just that.

It means that the assumption that BB10 is hands-down the best and most powerful mobile OS out there is only applicable in a reality distortion field that centers around this forum. The outside world sees BB10 and says "meh". Marketing won't matter except to increase the cash burn rate.

It means that those people who are "amazed" by your BB10 phone are just being polite.

It means that Blackberrys days in the smartphone business are numbered.
    notfanboy, ADGrant, cgk and 1 others like this.
    09-20-13 04:23 PM
113 123 ...