Recently while replying to some emails, a completely different email gets copied below the email I am replying to. I cannot find a pattern. I replied to someone today. She received the email which included my response, her previous email and then followed by an email I sent to someone else. The other email was not before or after the email I replied to. This has happened 4 times in the last 4 days. It is scary because I never know what email is going to be copied. Anyone heard of this? Does it sound like a virus? Thank you for any help you can give!!
    05-01-08 04:35 PM
    well not a virus there are no viruses for blackberry's might just be a problem with your email which email are you using ?
    05-01-08 04:42 PM
    There are no viruses for BlackBerries. Have you tried a battery pull?
    05-01-08 04:42 PM
    I tried battery pull. Can't figure this out. All the duplications are within the same account, my main account.

Why don't blackberries have viruses? Better firewalls?
    05-01-08 04:49 PM
    ...Why don't blackberries have viruses? Better firewalls?
    It is possible to infect a 'berry with malicious code, but it has to be done through the Applications Loader
    . A trojan is a piece of software that represents itself as one thing, but does something unwanted like infecting your company's BES server and stealing all the confidential data.

A real virus will introduce malicious code through a security hole and has a mechanism to replicate itself.
    05-01-08 05:10 PM
    I don't think that there are any Blackberry virues so far. We need to wait a while for that.

I think that there is a problem with you r email. I do not know what though. Is this same thing apearing on your PC. If so, then it's the email account.
    05-01-08 05:14 PM
    Already sent an email to yahoo but I am not hopeful. I never use application loader but did two days ago. I wonder if I added something by mistake?
    05-01-08 05:24 PM
    one more thing. I added Empower to my phone (email viewer) the day before this started. Also, the first time this happened it began with a reply to friend A. the second time this happened, it was to friend b but it was friend A's email which got copied in. Friend A works for a software co. I am trying to build a virus theory
    05-01-08 05:31 PM
    You could try removing the account, then re-adding it.
    05-01-08 08:34 PM
    I tried battery pull. Can't figure this out. All the duplications are within the same account, my main account.

Why don't blackberries have viruses? Better firewalls?
    The reason is a combination of a variety of security measures taking by RIM including requiring code signing by authors, and in some instances by RIM themselves, as well as other internal measures.

Basically, you can't (as a hacker) modify an existing program (even if you could decode the propriatary format), as it is cyptographically signed. So, if you modified it to inject a virus, you'd invalidate the signature and your Blackberry would detect this and refuse to run such a program.

To create a virus, you'd have to sign it, and that would sort of make it possible for RIM to find ya. =)

Patrick
    05-01-08 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD