Answer to the original question is NO!
    12-01-09 09:32 PM
    personally i think the BB slider is gonna shut the market down
    I agree and just hope it dont look like the prototypes.
    12-03-09 01:28 AM
    I believe he said he/they use all technologies t o g e t h e r. In other words, no one method covers everything, so the idea of adding the BB tools to their existing arsenal, simply makes for a superior rescue service.

Berries are worthless when natural disasters come in and demolish infrastructure and take down networks. Radios at least don't need anything.
    12-03-09 01:40 AM
    Hardware! RIM Needs to work on their hardware! I think 5.0 is somewhat stable.. way better than 4.7 anyway. But HTC has a new one called the Touch HD2. It has 512ram with a 1ghz processor w/ a 5MP dual LED flash, 4.25" screen and is as thin as thin gets!... but... it uses WM which well.. i wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole!
    I should just drive the 40 minutes to waterloo and request new hardware LOL!
    Im sure one day it will come just like the hockey team James Balsillie wants in the tri-cities! Just hope it doesn't take years!
    Last edited by Stormreplay; 12-03-09 at 05:05 AM.
    12-03-09 05:02 AM
    Hardware! RIM Needs to work on their hardware! I think 5.0 is somewhat stable.. way better than 4.7 anyway. But HTC has a new one called the Touch HD2. It has 512ram with a 1ghz processor w/ a 5MP dual LED flash, 4.25" screen and is as thin as thin gets!... but... it uses WM which well.. i wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole!
    I should just drive the 40 minutes to waterloo and request new hardware LOL!
    Im sure one day it will come just like the hockey team James Balsillie wants in the tri-cities! Just hope it doesn't take years!
    I'd much rather BB fixes all their huge OS problems and makes their OS a pleasure to use rather than cumbersome.
    12-03-09 12:45 PM
    I deal with everything from Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Floods, and HAZMAT. So, while radios/pagers are great, blackberries make a big difference when distributing information - via text to multiple individuals and/or agencies. So, a lot of First Responders utilize whatever technology is afforded and/or available to them. I've had two Blackberries for work and three of my own. All of them have been used at one time or another while involved with emergency responses on a larger scale along with radios and pagers.
    I deal with everything you do and have to support/manage the 3400+ subscribers in this area who use our 800 MHz. System. Most of the local agencies do not allow private phone use during emergencies. The radio system is designed for all users of a talk group to hear each other when one user is transmitting. It is also recorded among other things and has an infrastructure system that offers so much redundancy that cell towers are primitive when compared to it. A phone cannot do simultcast broadcasting without a lot of air time and bandwidth tied up. With that said, I think your comment about radios and pagers is way off base. Granted, I like my berry for some daily stuff like communicating with technicians or vendors but in an emergency, the phone stays on the hip. I can drop a Motorola XTS 5000 series III on concrete, pick it up and it will work. Try that with your berry and see just how well it holds up. No municipality I've ever come in contact with relies on cell phone technology other than as a backup. The only way cell phones will come in handy in a catastrophic emergency is if the
    EMA or 911 center has something akin to an ACU1000 or equivalent unit that can patch different communications types to another via electronic means.

I can sit here and quote advantages of a professional system versus the cell phone all day, but I think everyone gets the point that cell technology is not in any way comparable or better than equipment designed for the situation.

Hey, I am not trying to bring you down in anyway. I have been a long time BB user. I also work for a federal agency that addresses disaster around the U.S. Territory.

A smartphone can accomplish all of those things. Its all about the users preference. So do not emphasis on this serious, macho, pride, I am important speech...

Just to say your reasoning of having a BB.
    I think you read something into Latino's remarks that were never implied nor said. Latino said he has used them in an emergency. As stated above I simply said that while they can be used, they should only be used as a backup to your main system and why.

I seriously doubt, Latino, you or myself are on some self appreciating trip here. We all have jobs to do and do them to the best of our ability and are proud of the fact that we are helping others make it through hard times before, during and after an emergency or disaster. People don't do this kind of work for the money, it's about helping others in their time of need.
    Last edited by gmkahuna; 12-06-09 at 10:32 AM.
    12-06-09 10:26 AM
    This is simply clarification and no more speeches from me.

It's never about any person(especially me) and all about those we are trying to help. IMO, it is a very humbling feeling to help someone that has or may have lost someone or something in those situations. On a personal note, I can relate.

The BlackBerry is simply another tool. That's all I meant. Nothing more or nothing less.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 12-06-09 at 03:19 PM.
    12-06-09 03:10 PM
    @ gmkahuna & BL, this is totally off topic but I for one appreciate what you both
    do for your communities and our nation as a whole. And I don't care what tools
    you use to do it, I am just glad you do.

.:back on topic:.
    12-06-09 03:59 PM
    Yeah, they do have something big coming:

4 more models that look exactly like the rest of their phones. HOORAY!
    hahaha thats so funny but true, i love my berry though
    12-06-09 07:03 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD