i think somthing big is comming and the reason is because if you lookat what rim has done just this year 1. thr was a partnership with hp and rim to work together hp has an software that you can touch and drag icons that would be nice 2. they purchaced that gps navigation company i forget the name 3.the bought that web kit company 4.flash is company 5.said their browser will be as par as safari by summer time 6. stock buy back . these are all the ingredients to somthing big!
    11-08-09 05:45 PM
    Yeah, they do have something big coming:

4 more models that look exactly like the rest of their phones. HOORAY!
    11-08-09 07:08 PM
    I sure hope they do... somehow i think they dont... I want blackberry to succeed but its almost like they dont know where the mobile world is going. They seem to ignore the need for them to scrap their current os and design a new one with the same productivity but enhanced ui and a better platform to develop apps on.

Lets go Rim, Innovate and dont take 5 years to do it.

After the iphone changed the mobile landscape you should of held a meeting and come to the conclusion that your current os wont cut it, i don't care what people say the blackberry os is not competitive in today's market.

Your ancient architecture that your OS is built on cant work with what today's consumer's expect.

RIM Develop a OS that works with all your devices and develop the tools necessary for developers to build apps easily.

You dont even have flick scrolling, whats up with that?

Rim, hurry up, your 2 years late and counting.
    11-08-09 07:51 PM
    Have u not seen the new storm2 with flick scrolling?

I don't think RIM has something "big" happening. I think they are just progressing as a company and if you don't you sink in today's market.
    11-08-09 08:50 PM
    Have u not seen the new storm2 with flick scrolling?

I don't think RIM has something "big" happening. I think they are just progressing as a company and if you don't you sink in today's market.
    yeah im talking across the board, it would especially useful in the web browser
    11-08-09 11:41 PM
    yeah probably the biggest thing is the magnum.... and i dont know where they might go from there. but hopefully they dont keep putting out phones that all look exactly the same just like jeffmvr said... all the same just minor differences, I have the 8900 and other than the 3g and the trackpad, the rest of the newer blackberries are exactly the same..... don't see something worth upgrading to right now. But i'm not saying i dont like the new phones, just saying they're all the same i love my 8900 it actually does everything like any other phone, probably not as flashy or pretty as any other phone but it gets the job done thats what i like about it. But yeah the magnum is probably going to be my next upgrade
    11-09-09 11:15 AM

Dont forget the OS always looks the same for the most part too...
    11-09-09 11:24 AM
    Follow the DC if you want to know what's coming, rather than listening to random board ranters...
    11-09-09 01:07 PM
    I sure hope they do... somehow i think they dont... I want blackberry to succeed but its almost like they dont know where the mobile world is going. They seem to ignore the need for them to scrap their current os and design a new one with the same productivity but enhanced ui and a better platform to develop apps on.

Scrap the whole thing and start over?

Not going to happen. It will continue to evolve, time will tell who is making the right call. My money is solidly on Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie.

Each will find their following. Research in Motion will continue to earn money.

Dont forget the OS always looks the same for the most part too...
    That is correct, they are all based on the same core applications. The User Interface is optimized for the trackball and keyboard for short cuts.

Translating that to a superior touch screen experience takes time, but they are doing it, and by all reports, doing it well.
    11-09-09 01:40 PM
    That is correct, they are all based on the same core applications. The User Interface is optimized for the trackball and keyboard for short cuts.

Translating that to a superior touch screen experience takes time, but they are doing it, and by all reports, doing it well.
    Considering they got their touchscreen experience together and finger friendly roughly, what 4-5 years or so faster than WM?
    11-09-09 01:50 PM
    Your ancient architecture that your OS is built on cant work with what today's consumer's expect.

BlackBerry is hardly ancient, the entire architecture, Sun Java VM and the Network Operations Center are state of the art technology. Upgrading and expanding it has not been without it wrinkles, that has been a source of network outages.

Those outages make news because they are so infrequent and they are so critical to the emergency support infrastructure in everywhere.

Ask your neighbourhood Fire Fighter / EMS Response Personel, what do they carry? When there are lives at risk, it will be a BlackBerry, every time.

I don't know, what's up with that? I have no use for it, it is not core OS. It's CPU intensive graphics, much like the Windows Paper Clip.
    11-09-09 02:06 PM
    yeah probably the biggest thing is the magnum.... and i dont know where they might go from there. but hopefully they dont keep putting out phones that all look exactly the same just like jeffmvr said... all the same just minor differences, I have the 8900 and other than the 3g and the trackpad, the rest of the newer blackberries are exactly the same..... don't see something worth upgrading to right now. But i'm not saying i dont like the new phones, just saying they're all the same i love my 8900 it actually does everything like any other phone, probably not as flashy or pretty as any other phone but it gets the job done thats what i like about it. But yeah the magnum is probably going to be my next upgrade
    After having spent the last 10 days with an Android device, I'm back here. I had fun and all that but for all it's bells and whistles, I still prefer typing on a real keyoard and like you said, they all do the same thing, just in different ways. I find that it's because of it's simplicity that I like the BB because I can do everything faster. The Android has a better browsing experience by far but I don't really do that much on the internet any way. I'm near a computer a lot of the day for that any way. The grass is not always greener on the other side. The one BIG improvement RIM could make would be in how html messages and web pages are rendered (flash and java?). That would make this a great device for me but even now, I don't see me straying to any more touch screens.
    11-09-09 02:11 PM

BlackBerry is hardly ancient, the entire architecture, Sun Java VM and the Network Operations Center are state of the art technology. Upgrading and expanding it has not been without it wrinkles, that has been a source of network outages.
    Just because the platform is using current technology, doesn't mean the code base hasn't been hacked and patched for many, many generations of devices.
    11-09-09 02:48 PM
    seeing the announcements at the bb dev. conference today (open gl, flash, new theme platform) i'm thinking that we're about to see new life breathed into our beloved devices i think (i hope) that RIM is finally stepping up!
    11-09-09 02:48 PM
    It wouldnt surprise me if o.s 6 was released at the same time as the new browser and had been completly redesigned from the ground up to take advantage of new technologies and software
    11-09-09 03:40 PM
    seeing the announcements at the bb dev. conference today (open gl, flash, new theme platform) i'm thinking that we're about to see new life breathed into our beloved devices i think (i hope) that RIM is finally stepping up!
    + 1 but i think i'll just set back and enjoy my hookah and wait ....
    11-09-09 03:49 PM
    RIM Unveils New Services Platform for BlackBerry Developers

"The BlackBerry ecosystem is thriving and with the new services platform announced today we will help developers further monetize their applications and build breakthrough, highly responsive, location-aware applications for BlackBerry smartphones," said Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO at Research In Motion. "RIM is continuing to provide the tools, technologies and business services that developers need to create and market even more powerful and successful applications on the BlackBerry Application Platform."

BlackBerry Advertising Service to Create New Revenue Opportunities for Developers

BlackBerry Payment Service to Enable In-Application Transactions and Streamlined Payment Processes

BlackBerry Push Service for Delivering Content and Alerts to Applications to Become Generally Available

New Location Services to Advance Location-Aware BlackBerry Applications

That is pretty big.
    11-09-09 07:00 PM
    past week... new curve new storm. the developers conference so much has been hapening..
    11-09-09 07:10 PM
    Uh yeah, check the blog section here on the forums. Its about to hit like a tidal wave lol.
    11-09-09 10:34 PM
    I just can't wair for that new browser. And if it is true that they would include a brand spanking new OS with it, I can't wait for that too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 02:39 AM
    Ask your neighbourhood Fire Fighter / EMS Response Personel, what do they carry? When there are lives at risk, it will be a BlackBerry, every time.

I don't know, what's up with that? I have no use for it, it is not core OS. It's CPU intensive graphics, much like the Windows Paper Clip.
    Not only are you completely wrong about the first statement (they use radios and pagers) but something like flick scrolling isn't CPU intensive graphics. It's just a method of detecting input to respond differently. That and any phone worth it's weight is coming with a GPU now, which means stuff like that can be offloaded to the GPU to make the UI more pleasant to look at and easier to use while not slowing down the phone itself.
    11-10-09 11:10 AM
    next year looks as bright as ever. more advances coming our way.

11-10-09 07:58 PM

LMFAO, seriously.

Haha my thoughts exactly

11-10-09 08:04 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but all 3 generations of iPhones have looked the same without complaints. Not saying the iphone's aren't unique, but I'm not convinced that consistency is a bad thing.
    11-10-09 08:54 PM
    Not only are you completely wrong about the first statement (they use radios and pagers)
    I deal with everything from Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Floods, and HAZMAT. So, while radios/pagers are great, blackberries make a big difference when distributing information - via text to multiple individuals and/or agencies. So, a lot of First Responders utilize whatever technology is afforded and/or available to them. I've had two Blackberries for work and three of my own. All of them have been used at one time or another while involved with emergency responses on a larger scale along with radios and pagers.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 11-10-09 at 10:27 PM.
    11-10-09 10:20 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD