01-09-17 03:12 PM
30 12
tools
    Question: Why do you think disproportionate numbers of folks in India, Nigeria, Indonesia, South Africa, etc are still paying monthly BIS fees?
    These countries are 5-8 years behind the US in network technologies - they've just transitioned off of 2G. BBOS was designed to solve 2G networking issues with BIS's compression, allowing "unlimited data" at affordable prices on very slow networks. And the fact that old-stock BBOS phones (that were low-end in the first place - i.e., Curves) were available cheap made them great phones to have there - and thus BBM became super popular as those countries still charged per SMS.

But just like the US and Europe, 3G/4G networking, combined with low-cost Android phones, have made BBOS obsolete, and virtually no one is buying new BBOS phones. Android is replacing them by attrition, and you can bet that the carriers will be more aggressive about discontinuing BIS once the usage falls below a certain threshold in order to end those SAF (Service Access Fees) they have to pay BB for BIS. BB has been saying for years at Earnings Calls that they're aware that SAF money - while being a substantial part of their income, will go to zero before too long, and we're getting close to that time. There are maybe 2-3 quarters left, and I expect in that time the number of users will be half or less than the number today (roughly 8M BBOS worldwide - not counting BB10 which is another 7-8M).
    01-08-17 10:31 AM
    I like legacy devices. I use my bold for reading. I use a passport sometimes as main phone, which I alternate with my Amazon fire phone, another legacy device of sorts. For all I know, I may be the only person in USA who uses these the devices still.
    01-08-17 04:11 PM
    [QUOTE=Troy Tiscareno;12723972]These countries are 5-8 years behind the US in network technologies - they've just transitioned off of 2G. BBOS was designed to solve 2G networking issues with BIS's compression, allowing "unlimited data" at affordable prices on very slow networks. And the fact that old-stock BBOS

Hi troy I came from indonesia, just tell you our network technologies is quite same with US ( already supported 4.5 G / LTE network with 4T 4R capabilities)

The main reason they still use BIS are because monthly bundling subscription (not count by data usage) but with loss of supporting whatsupp I guess no more use BBOS 7 right now here

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 06:30 PM
    Gotta wifi 9900 bridged to a Playbook that's hdmi into tv at home, in living room. Always wished Z/Q10 could bridge to 9900 like PB does. 99's trackpad affords wonderful precision on both tiny and giant screens. BIS, or no. Fwiw.

Question: Why do you think disproportionate numbers of folks in India, Nigeria, Indonesia, South Africa, etc are still paying monthly BIS fees?
    data compression. you pay 10-15 dollar per month (including the 5.00 ASF) for 2G or 3G, you can't get that low if you use iphone or droid. just take a look at the image you send... if you send to another person, the server will direct forward the image, not reload the same image again, just the email header I believe... in addition, your image is not the full size as you took from camera). great technology for low bandwidth, low transmission speed, limited network access area (and poor chaps).
    01-09-17 10:51 AM
    [QUOTE=utomo uinktyo;12724365]
    These countries are 5-8 years behind the US in network technologies - they've just transitioned off of 2G. BBOS was designed to solve 2G networking issues with BIS's compression, allowing "unlimited data" at affordable prices on very slow networks. And the fact that old-stock BBOS

Hi troy I came from indonesia, just tell you our network technologies is quite same with US ( already supported 4.5 G / LTE network with 4T 4R capabilities)
    Yes, I am aware of that (of the countries in which BBOS is still in use, Indonesia has the most modern networks), but that was a lot less true 7-8 years ago when BBOS started becoming popular there. And good parts of SA and much of Nigeria are still 2G, though 3G/4G is available in the bigger cities.

But we agree: BBM and BIS's compression (which allowed for "unlimited data" plans), along with the relatively low price of the phones, are the main reasons for BBOS being popular there - but all of those reasons have become or are becoming less and less relevant as new technologies and options have made BBOS and BIS nearly obsolete. BBM is still hugely popular there, but with an Android client, BBOS isn't needed, and that was the big thing holding back the tide a couple of years ago in your market.
    01-09-17 03:12 PM
30 12