Today I got to use an iPhone 5. My sister got one last week so she let me play with it today. Definitely light and fast, but like all my experiences with Apple's OSs I was overall underwhelmed. I have an iPod Touch, and iPad and my wife is on her third iPhone. Ehh. I still love the Blackberry.

When looking at my sister's iPhone, I started showing off my Bold 9900 running 7.1. In particularly I wanted to show off how easy it is to do things on a Blackberry like replying to an email. On a Bold, you can do it in 4 ways: Press and hold on the screen and select reply, press and hold the trackpad, press the Blackberry Button and select reply and just hit "R" on the keyboard. This really is quite impressive if you think about it. There is just about 2 to 4 ways to accomplish one task on the Blackberry.

I pressed on the screen to bring up the icons and immediately my sister said that the Blackberry looked so dated. I was surprised. Most 'dated' comments about the Blackberry are really about OS 4. I delved a little deeper asking her what about the OS looked so dated. She said the icons don't look modern and the response to touch seemed old fashioned.

I don't get it. Am I just blindly in love with Blackberry that I can't see that this thing is dated. Don't get me wrong, the Blackberry is very functional so I could really care less what other people think. It just surprises me that I feel that OS 7.1 is a very modern OS with its transitions, responsiveness and fluid home screen but other feel that this is dated. Where Blackberrt is outdated is in how it loads software or its not up to par ecosystem, but the OS feels great to me. Other OSs don't seem to look that much more advanced.

What am I not seeing here because the common thought is that Blackberries are outdated. Am I blind.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-01-12 12:44 AM
    i dont look at my OS7 and see it as dated. i think its on par with any other platform. the icons on my 9860 and the display itself are in a whole other league then any previous BB. i had the misfortune of using an android device for a couple of weeks recently while my BB was sent in for repair and if anything was to be considered outdated it was that piece of confusing garage! i was never so frustrated in my life.

as for the Iphone 5, i had the opportunity to play with one the other day and while it does seem a little more updated then the previous iphones it didnt wow me.
    10-01-12 12:56 AM
    The iphone 5 is really an taller/thinner iphone 4s!

The os 6 you describe is really os 5 with new maps and passbook.

Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice, shame on me!

Apple has people going lol, one day you will realize you are paying for the same stuff.

mzceetee and bdguru like this.
    10-01-12 01:08 AM
    OS7 is pretty old. It's been over a year now at this point, which is a long time in the tech industry. It doesn't really matter at this point any ways, since a replacement is on the way in BB10.

On the other hand, iOS has looked the exact same since the first iPhone five years ago, so I don't see how your sister can really be criticizing OS7 in that regard.

In short, they both look "outdated", but it's not like that has anything to do with how the phone functions.
    LewLew23, bungaboy, ny1979 and 1 others like this.
    10-01-12 01:21 AM
    It sounds like someone grasping to find something to be critical about. All of the iOS icons have to have the same outline shape and then have the actual picture inside, where as the BB ones are practically the same symbols without the enforced border shape for conformity. I see little difference that would indicate old or fresh. The BB camera icon looks like an actual camera, the iOS one looks like a square with a jewel in the middle. Without the caption, it wouldn't be immediately clear that it was the camera app. The calendar apps are practically identical. Both look like a page from a calendar - go figure. A square with an envelope in the middle vs an envelope for mail. Seriously, how does this affect the actual usage of the device? Is using the app more enjoyable if the icon you tap to launch it is more visually pleasing? I don't understand why people get so caught up in how the icons or the BACK of the phone looks.

The mistake was probably showing her an advanced maneuver like being able to do something more with an icon than simply tapping it, then tapping the Home button, then tapping the icon again to get back to it. Holding the icon on an iOS device will only let you rearrange or delete icons... You've got to help them take those baby steps...
    10-01-12 01:35 AM
    I think it is old only if you think it is. if you still love it and use the BBos7 so its not dated.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Masahiro likes this.
    10-01-12 02:15 AM
    I don't think it looks old at all, I really like the icons, and I don't get what your sister is saying about the whole response to touch thing. The touch screen I think kicks arse on the 9900.
    10-01-12 05:59 AM
    I think RIM has done a great job on the visual appeal of the OS since 6. Still the main BB interface is as well known as the iPhone, and for some it might seem dated. I think OS7 is quite appealing in terms or looks, but I think BB10 looks even better.
    10-01-12 06:17 AM
    As long as the phone works and you are happy in life.
    10-01-12 06:25 AM
    It's dated, looking from even an optimistic perspective, but it's only a matter of time beautiful BB10 will come.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-01-12 06:31 AM
    Meh, I look dated.
    10-01-12 06:52 AM
    My 9930,is one of the best phones I've owned. Never once have I thought it was dated.
    jegs2 and bigbmc26 like this.
    10-01-12 07:00 AM
    Naaa your not blind,to each to their own...Enjoy your Blackberry it's you don't change on someones else views or suggestion...I live with a Android family ,and I am still loving my Torch no matter what they say or criticizes how out dated Blackberry is to them...My 9850 and I are still rolling together no matter what..until BB10 drops than the break up begins once again..

Blackberry by Choice
    10-01-12 07:11 AM
    The iphone 5 is really an taller/thinner iphone 4s!

The os 6 you describe is really os 5 with new maps and passbook.

Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice, shame on me!

Apple has people going lol, one day you will realize you are paying for the same stuff.

I have to disagree with u because u talk about the iphone as if that's not the case with any BB over the last 4 years. Performance is much improved in OS7 but not a lot changed feature wise since OS5

To answer the question....I do think its dated, but its not terrible by any means. It works. It just doesn't have the eye candy that the other OS's have that make them more "modern". Campare it to BB10 though, and OS7 isn't even in the same league in my opinion. TAT was a absolutely needed acquisition of theirs...
    Last edited by Rello; 10-01-12 at 07:24 AM.
    10-01-12 07:15 AM
    There's only so much one can do with rows of icons, you know? I don't think OS7 looks dated, it's just different than other smartphones. When I think dated I think of pixelated screens, text driven menus, and icons with muted colors.
    10-01-12 07:20 AM
    See, I do not think it is dated. I think it is a fine OS. All it lacks, IMHO, is an ecosystem, but on its own, I think it works well and has plenty of life in it.

Folks like buzzwords, and "dated" is a trendy one to use now, whether they are talking about the Shuttle program, tae bo, or technology.
    10-01-12 07:35 AM
    The "look" of the OS itself I don't think is dated. The guts behind it is getting pretty old though. I believe this java based OS is one of the oldest around as far as mobile devices go. Things like battery pulls, reboots after deleting or upgrading apps, and long boot times should not be part of any modern OS.
    10-01-12 08:36 AM
    I don't think 7 looks dated and as you said the U.I. on Blackberry is ahead of IOS....
    ...RIM's whole problem is functionality - their devices simply can' t compete for work or play like the Droid and Iphone can.
    10-01-12 08:52 AM
    I don't think 7 looks dated and as you said the U.I. on Blackberry is ahead of IOS....
    ...RIM's whole problem is functionality - their devices simply can' t compete for work or play like the Droid and Iphone can.
    BB7 is a mish-mash of UI paradigms. Buried settings, many multiple ways to achieve the same action, vastly differing UIs even amongst stock apps. The usability of BB7 is laughable at best. iOS is no usability gem either, but it's ahead of BB7.

BB7 doesn't look dated IMO, but it damn well feels dated.
    10-01-12 09:05 AM
    BB7 is a mish-mash of UI paradigms. Buried settings, many multiple ways to achieve the same action, vastly differing UIs even amongst stock apps. The usability of BB7 is laughable at best. iOS is no usability gem either, but it's ahead of BB7.

So giving options to do the same task several different ways is dated? I guess someone better tell MS.

I always thought options were a good thing?
    10-01-12 09:09 AM
    I pressed on the screen to bring up the icons and immediately my sister said that the Blackberry looked so dated. I was surprised. Most 'dated' comments about the Blackberry are really about OS 4. I delved a little deeper asking her what about the OS looked so dated. She said the icons don't look modern and the response to touch seemed old fashioned.
    For me, the icons are better looking on BB OS7 than iOS. BB icons have their own shape and look. On ios, you have that damm square icon for everything.
    10-01-12 09:18 AM
    So giving options to do the same task several different ways is dated? I guess someone better tell MS.

I always thought options were a good thing?
    Not for ease of use it's not. Multiple methods of achieving the same result is confusing for new users or non-tech savvy people. Look how confused people get with multiple tv remotes.

Also, are you arguing that Microsoft's design paradigms are up-to-date?

For me, the icons are better looking on BB OS7 than iOS. BB icons have their own shape and look. On ios, you have that damm square icon for everything.
    Another usability issue, having to do with touch targets. Why do you think BB10 is moving towards all square, bordered icons as well?
    Last edited by mikeo007; 10-01-12 at 09:30 AM.
    richardat likes this.
    10-01-12 09:27 AM
    I've always thought the iPhone's UI looked dated. From 2007 -present it looks exactly the same.

With Blackberry, coming from OS 4/5 to 7 its a big refresh. At least you can change the theme on the Blackberry (without jailbreaking) to make it look different and refreshed.

I love the menus upon menus of settings in the Blackberry OS. I feel like I can truly customize it the way I want to. Also, having more than one way to do something is awesome! It keeps things interesting
    Last edited by shemaree09; 10-01-12 at 09:42 AM.
    goaliegirl33 likes this.
    10-01-12 09:38 AM
    To an Iphone or Android user who is not adept with a Blackberry the OS7 may appear outdated. I admire the sophistication and refinement BB OS7 deeply. I have tried to set my 9930 to the side and use Androids, but they just don't compare. I mean the Android is flat out not an alternative to a Blackberry.
    10-01-12 10:18 AM

I would venture to say that of the tasks that IOS and BB7 can each do...
    ...That those same tasks can be completed faster on a 9900 then they can on IOS.

Agreed, there are a host of things BB simply can't do...
    ...We are not talking about those however.
    10-01-12 10:22 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD