Hi guys!

I was wondering about my default email, i.e. the one that I've linked with my BB Email Inbox (i.e. @Gmail and not the @Blackberry address)...

I have my own Wi-Fi at home to which I connect both my notebook and my BB. Given that, my BB is usually connected to both my Mobile Network provider and my Wi-Fi hotspot. Note also that my Mobile Network connection options are:

Data Services: ON
    Connection Preference: Wi-Fi Preferred
    Mobile Network: GlobePH (My mobile/phone network in Manila)
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic

Now, my question is, given that I'm connected to both Wi-Fi and GlobePH: which connection downloads my incoming messages to my Email Inbox folder (i.e. Gmail)--the hotspot or the mobile network?

I ask because I don't want to assume that it's Wi-Fi and then receive unwanted "surprise" data charges from GlobePH because it could be GlobePH that downloads it after all.

I also don't see turning off GlobePH network as an option (just to be absolutely sure) because that will totally defeat the nifty purpose of BB -- i.e. to be connected all the time to your phone/SMS/MMS and your email.

Help please? =)
    Last edited by shiaolien; 08-24-09 at 06:54 PM.
    08-24-09 06:51 PM
    it comes through using your data service only
    08-24-09 06:56 PM
    yaiks. i just tried to send an email to my Gmail using my other Ymail account -- whilst only my Wi-Fi was on and my GlobePH was off....and I did NOT receive the email even when it shows in my Gmail (on the website, that is) that it's already been received.

so i guess that answers my question -- it's the mobile network and not the Wi-Fi that downloads it.

now the next question is: how do i disable/disconnect/dislodge the Gmail email from my BB, if ever?
    08-24-09 07:01 PM
    thanks!

argh. isn't there a way that i could just have some sort of a notification that i have a new mail in my Gmail inbox and then it will just show me the subject and sender, so i can have the choice whether to open it (and thus incur data charges) or not? kinda like an IMAP or POP notifier or something.... ;-)

it comes through using your data service only
    08-24-09 07:03 PM
    WAIT! My bad. I tried resending another mail...and I got it--with my Mobile Network OFF...so it means, I can download emails to my Gmail/Email Inbox using Wi-Fi only.

But the bigger question is, again: if they're BOTH connected and "Wi-Fi Preferred" is my option, will it really guarantee me that my BB connects/downloads using the Wi-Fi hotspot instead of my GlobePH mobile network?

Sorry, we don't have unlimited data plans for BB here just yet...so it's quite an issue which costs me a penny or which doesn't.
    yaiks. i just tried to send an email to my Gmail using my other Ymail account -- whilst only my Wi-Fi was on and my GlobePH was off....and I did NOT receive the email even when it shows in my Gmail (on the website, that is) that it's already been received.

so i guess that answers my question -- it's the mobile network and not the Wi-Fi that downloads it.

now the next question is: how do i disable/disconnect/dislodge the Gmail email from my BB, if ever?
    08-24-09 07:20 PM
    WAIT! My bad. I tried resending another mail...and I got it--with my Mobile Network OFF...so it means, I can download emails to my Gmail/Email Inbox using Wi-Fi only.

But the bigger question is, again: if they're BOTH connected and "Wi-Fi Preferred" is my option, will it really guarantee me that my BB connects/downloads using the Wi-Fi hotspot instead of my GlobePH mobile network?

Sorry, we don't have unlimited data plans for BB here just yet...so it's quite an issue which costs me a penny or which doesn't.
    Email/BBM/PIN messages get pushed to your BB via the BB Infastructure through either your Mobile Network or WiFi Network. Some things that you can do to limit download of messages or data on the Mobile Network:

To limit Data downloaded:
    Email Options>General Option>Actions>Auto More, select No.
    Email Options>Email Settings>Enable HTML Email, select No.
    Email Options>Email Settings>Download Images Automatically, select No.

To block Messages from being pushed to you:
    Options>Security Options>Firewall>Block Incoming Msgs, select Blackbery Internet Service & PIN.

08-25-09 11:02 AM
    That was a fantastic post syn.....nice presentation and oinfo was absolutely correct....thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD