Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've always used gmail on my BlackBerry, which I forward to my actual @telus.blackberry.net email so it's push, then my reply to address is from my gmail address.

I own a small business and I'm looking at various options for mail. I'm just curious, if I use IMAP for my mail server, when I receive an email, firstly would it be push, or does the blackberry check every few minutes?

Secondly, if I delete the message or read it on my phone, does it show read on my desktop and web email that uses IMAP as well, same with deletion?
    03-15-09 04:08 PM
    Your first question is up in the air. My gmail is IMAP and supposed to push straight to my berry but I've found it doesn't.

Your second though is a yes. They should be directly linked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 05:06 PM
    For me, I use IMAP directly to my device using gmail. I dont forward to my @tmo.blackberry.net address. I do have a 3-5 minute delay in receiving my email as compared to a POP account. It doesn't bother me because when I read an email on my device it shows read online and likewise for delete. This works both ways. If I read an email online and delete it, it takes about 5 minutes for it to remove from my device same foe reading.
    03-15-09 06:47 PM
    Gmail is supposed to be PUSH, but lately I've veen getting up to 15 min delays. As for as syncing between desktop and phone, it only syncs one way. Whatever changes you make on your phone will be reflected on the desktop, but not the other way around. Its not "true" IMAP.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 06:56 PM
    thanxxxxxxxxxxxx
    03-15-09 07:04 PM
    Is IMAP always push or just Gmail? I used gmail as an example. The reason I ask is because I own a small business with 3 other employees all with blackberries. Obviously we don't use BES.

Right now I use godaddy for my hosting and my email, so I might just use their IMAP and set it up with my blackberries. I run Mac OS X Leopard as my server though which supports a built in mail server, so I'm debating on turning that on and just running my own mail server. How does that work with blackberry, if I set it up as IMAP on my own server? Would that be "push" ? For me I don't need mail the second they arrive, but I wouldn't want to go more than say 3 mins, since I'd like to be able to be out somewhere and if someone has to send me something, give them my address and have it appear quickly..
    03-17-09 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD