meaning if I were to upgrade my blackberry curve 8310 to a 8900 when they actually come out, will my internet speeds increase being that the process is better then the curve? or will they same the same?
    04-01-09 01:27 PM
    the 8900 has been out. are you living under a rock? lol
    not really but i thinkk the 8900 has 8 channels for something
    04-01-09 01:31 PM
    The faster processor in the 8900 will do nothing to increase the data capacity of your carriers EDGE connection.

Signal strength is the limiting factor, not processing speed.
    04-01-09 01:31 PM
    The faster processor in the 8900 will do nothing to increase the data capacity of your carriers EDGE connection.

alright, thats what I was wondering...the reason I was asking because I know with a standard computer if you have a bigger ram the inet speeds get a lil better because of having more space to work with ect...figured that might be the same concept with a phone.

and I knew the 8900 was out for tmobile but AT&T doesn't have it yet...at least not at the authorized retailer that i'm working at
    04-01-09 01:37 PM
    And for a desktop/laptop you won't really see any change in bandwidth. Yes your browser will render faster but if you do a speed test you will see the same speeds. Sorry just wanted to clarify that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 02:45 PM

That is only partially true, as the phones need to be able to keep up with the signalling speed of the network. The 3GPP has standardized different multislot classes (for edge and gprs) and UE classes (for UMTS) to provide the phone manufacturers with the possibilty to produce devices that adhere to a given standard but are not able to support the highest data rate specified by this standard.

For the different multislot classes of edge, consult Annes B.1 in the standard document 45.002 (release 8):
    3GPP specification: 45.002

According to

Blackberry Curve 8900

the 8900 has a multislot class of 10, meaning up to 5 channels allocated to this phone at once. In general, higher classes and numbers of channels are possible if the signal processing on the device is up to the job. This does not refer mainly to the CPU but more to hardware accelerators which perform specialized signal processing.
    Summarizingly, a more recent phone can get more out of a given network. This means however not an increase in spectral efficiency but solely that more resources are allocated to this particular phone (in contrast to being distributed more equally among several devices).

Regards,
    MarkusALC
    04-01-09 03:01 PM
    That is only partially true, as the phones need to be able to keep up with the signalling speed of the network. The 3GPP has standardized different multislot classes (for edge and gprs) and UE classes (for UMTS) to provide the phone manufacturers with the possibilty to produce devices that adhere to a given standard but are not able to support the highest data rate specified by this standard.

For the different multislot classes of edge, consult Annes B.1 in the standard document 45.002 (release 8):

According to

Blackberry Curve 8900

the 8900 has a multislot class of 10, meaning up to 5 channels allocated to this phone at once. In general, higher classes and numbers of channels are possible if the signal processing on the device is up to the job. This does not refer mainly to the CPU but more to hardware accelerators which perform specialized signal processing.
    Summarizingly, a more recent phone can get more out of a given network. This means however not an increase in spectral efficiency but solely that more resources are allocated to this particular phone (in contrast to being distributed more equally among several devices).

Regards,
    MarkusALC
    alright cool...thats what I was getting at...I know my buddys Bold will load pages a lil faster then what my Curve will...but I just wanted to get a lil clarification about it : )

thanks
    04-01-09 03:40 PM
    That's probably because your Curve is operating on the EDGE network vs his Bold which is operating on the 3G network.
    04-01-09 03:58 PM
    @MarkusALC

I believe your summary is correct at a technical level, but the practical implications don't always follow.

Most phones released in the last few years have been able to eat EDGE data as fast as the network can deliver it. There may be a few differences in rendering speed, but the variation in overall performance is trivial compared with the variation in negotiated link speed and aberrations due to network congestion and poor radio conditions.
    04-01-09 05:28 PM
    @MarkusALC
    Most phones released in the last few years have been able to eat EDGE data as fast as the network can deliver it. There may be a few differences in rendering speed, but the variation in overall performance is trivial compared with the variation in negotiated link speed and aberrations due to network congestion and poor radio conditions.
    Concerning network congestion and radio conditions: That's not really related to the particular phone and therefore not quite within the topic of this thread. Concerning the "being able to eat edge as fast as te network can deliver": Some people claim that the 8900 is e.g. of a higher Multislot class than many previous phones. Check post #27 from this thread here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ha...68/index2.html
    That's however not easily verified: If you google a bit, you will see lots of contradicting technical information, depending on which site you visit. Seems like some people are only giving back the maximum possible data rates using edge and not the actual multislot class (and therefore highest supported data rate of that particular phone).

Do you have any further knowledge of the specs of current and/or past phones in terms of multislot class or UE classes?
    04-02-09 03:37 AM
    Wasn't there a post on the 8900 forum awhile back with load times of the 8900 on EDGE vs the Bold on 3G?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 03:16 PM
    The original question was if edge runs faster on more recent phones. A comparison between edge and 3G, as seen in those videos, is even more complicated. Consider that maybe your 3G base station that your Bold is connected to is 2km away while the base station of your 8900 might be just a couple of meters away. Obviously, the radio conditions on your edge link are way better (since the SNR is way higher, but of course the bandwidth is still lower). Or think about a case where the 3G base station is busy serving multiple users at one while the edge base station is just serving the 8900 with all it's got.
    Seeing a single video comparing the browsing speed between 8900 and Bold side by side (as if that would indicate similar radio and network conditions) are funny, but little more.
    04-02-09 04:25 PM
    That's however not easily verified: If you google a bit, you will see lots of contradicting technical information, depending on which site you visit. Seems like some people are only giving back the maximum possible data rates using edge and not the actual multislot class (and therefore highest supported data rate of that particular phone).

Do you have any further knowledge of the specs of current and/or past phones in terms of multislot class or UE classes?
    Any multislot improvements seem to be mostly academic and theoretical, at least here in UK. Phones supporting EDGE have been constrained more by network throttling rather than the limitations of slots. It's the old story, there's always a bottleneck somewhere and currently it seems to be rate limiting at the servers and routers rather than link capacity. Rather like buying a new Ferrari which will comfortably exceed 250km/h, but the road surface is so bad you can't use the power and there are speed cameras all over the town.

No special knowledge of phone classes but I would expect the later models to have high end support even if many networks don't let them exploit the full potential
    04-02-09 05:43 PM

According to

Blackberry Curve 8900

Regards,
    MarkusALC
    ????

Just for fun, pretend you were explaing this to a highschool class with no technical background.

What would you say?
    04-02-09 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD